HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Draft Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2011, 07:35 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I was quite disappointed at the lack of good info about Charlie Sands. Here's what I could dig up:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=510

Looks like I'm going for a two-way 2nd line and I didn't even know it.

Old
07-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

vCash: 500
I'm now wondering, did I misdiagnose Tim Young as a first line player? I certainly wasn't able to dig up as much information on him as seventieslord, but what I saw told me he was a first line center until Bobby Smith came along, relegating him to a second line role with lesser talented linemates.

For his career in Minnesota (75 through 83), including an injury curtailed 81-82 season, he ranks #19 among forwards in assists during that time period, and #27 in points. In both cases all forwards ranking above him during that time span have already been selected in either the ATD or the MLD. As I said previously, I was looking for a player to get the puck to my scorer - Shepelev. Obviously the scouting info regarding Young's perhaps suspect defense are concerning for the other roles I had him slotted for.

Old
07-18-2011, 08:18 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfish Man View Post
I'm now wondering, did I misdiagnose Tim Young as a first line player? I certainly wasn't able to dig up as much information on him as seventieslord, but what I saw told me he was a first line center until Bobby Smith came along, relegating him to a second line role with lesser talented linemates.

For his career in Minnesota (75 through 83), including an injury curtailed 81-82 season, he ranks #19 among forwards in assists during that time period, and #27 in points. In both cases all forwards ranking above him during that time span have already been selected in either the ATD or the MLD. As I said previously, I was looking for a player to get the puck to my scorer - Shepelev. Obviously the scouting info regarding Young's perhaps suspect defense are concerning for the other roles I had him slotted for.
In my opinion, yes, he was a bit misdiagnosed. I think that making him a first liner would not be a good idea due to his offense not being up to par with other first liners (says the guy who may not even have a first line center!) and I don't see that his defensive ability is such that you'd want to count on him to be the "defensive conscience" of a line. I will say though, that you don't necessarily need a defensive conscience on a first line, it's just "nice to have".

As a 3rd liner I think he'd be miscast too, if your plan is to have a defensive third line like a lot of people do. On a 4th line people generally want physicality and from my vantage point he appears to have been the opposite. But with all that said, there is no set template for how your 3rd and 4th line need to look.

Best thing for Young right now? I'd make him the 2nd line center and go for someone for a first line center with better offensive credentials (some defensive value would be a plus, too). When it's all shaken out, his offense might still make him a below-average second liner, but it wouldn't be by a lot and he wouldn't be a waste. In an MLD starting at pick 1000, being a bargain basement 2nd line center taken in the last third of the draft is probably what Young's destiny should be. So if you put him there, the only downside is that you took him too early.

(the stat about being 19th in points over his career is nice, but I've found that at this point in the draft, just about anyone looks that good if you're choosing them for offense and you take their best years which overlap the starts and ends of better players' careers. For example, my last NHL forward selected, Grant Warwick, was 10th in points from 1942-1949 despite missing a season and a half in there, and everyone in the top-23 is selected )

Anyone else have anything else to add?

Old
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Completed Red Green bio:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=556

I was pleased with what I found, but unfortunately most of those quotes came from paid subscriptions. If I had access to the entire articles, it looks like there is some great stuff on Red Green in there.

Old
07-18-2011, 09:00 PM
seventieslord

So guess what I just got?

Six email notifications of private messages I've received on the boards in the past three days

Old
07-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post

Best thing for Young right now? I'd make him the 2nd line center and go for someone for a first line center with better offensive credentials (some defensive value would be a plus, too). When it's all shaken out, his offense might still make him a below-average second liner, but it wouldn't be by a lot and he wouldn't be a waste. In an MLD starting at pick 1000, being a bargain basement 2nd line center taken in the last third of the draft is probably what Young's destiny should be. So if you put him there, the only downside is that you took him too early.
Problem there is I already have Normie Himes slotted in the second line. I agree that Young doesn't really have the pedigree for the 3rd or 4th line. I'd be interested in hearing other's thoughts though.

Edit: my forwards are Young, Himes, Shepelev and Morris Lukowich.

Old
07-18-2011, 09:33 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Problem there is I already have Normie Himes slotted in the second line. I agree that Young doesn't really have the pedigree for the 3rd or 4th line. I'd be interested in hearing other's thoughts though.

Edit: my forwards are Young, Himes, Shepelev and Morris Lukowich.
I'd take Himes, both offensively and defensively.

I think all those forwards are VI favourites.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

Quote:
I'd take Himes, both offensively and defensively.

I think all those forwards are VI favourites.
Purely a coincidence, I assure you.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:18 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
ALEX ZHAMNOV

height:6-1
weight:204
shoots:left
position:center

Zhamnov captained the Chicago Blackhawks

719 pts in 807 games

Zhamnov scored at between 1,35 and 0,70 ppg rate for 12 consecutive years

2002 all-star game
94-95 2nd all-star team
top10 points: 3rd
top10 assist: 10th
top10 goals: 3rd
top10 even-strenght goals: 2nd
top10 powerplay goals:10
top10 shorthanded goals: 7th
top10 game-winning goals:8th

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
Zhamnov joined the Winnipeg Jets, with whom he played for four NHL seasons. He had been the Jets' fifth pick, 77th overall, in the 1990 NHL Entry Draft. The lockout-shortened 1994-95 season was Zhamnov's best in the NHL so far. He finished with 30 goals and 65 points in 48 games, good enough for third in the league scoring race behind Jaromir Jagr and Eric Lindros. During the summer of 1996, the Jets relocated to Phoenix, where they became the Coyotes. In August the club sent Zhamnov to Chicago along with minor-leaguer Craig Mills and a first-round draft pick for high-scoring center Jeremy Roenick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg jets legends
When he was on top of his game, he was an absolute joy to watch. He was a magnificent skater, blessed with one-step acceleration but more important incredible agility. He was a masterful stickhandler with an underrated (and often under-used) shot. A classic center from the Russian school of hockey, he was a great playmaker first and foremost, and a dependable defensive forward. Although he may never have thrown a body check in his life, he had solid size and was strong on his skates, making him hard to knock off the puck. His physical game was definitely understated

Old
07-18-2011, 10:38 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

JASON SPEZZA

height: 6-3
weight: 216
position: center
shoots: right

532 pts in 526 games

top10 assists: 2nd , 7th
top10 points: 6th
assist per game: 2nd , 2nd , 6th ( 67 games or more )
point per game: 4th , 5th , 6th ( 67 games or more )
3 consecutive 30 goals season even though Spezza is known for his playmaking.
5 consecutive 20 goals season.
Finished 1st in playoff scoring with 22 pts in 20 games
46 playoff pts in 46 playoff games.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
off-topic question concerning the next ATD , how many teams do you think will be in next year?
I vote 40. It will only b easier to get that many now that we have a bigger pool of established GMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
in the roster thread , how do you put the name of the player as a link to his bio?
follow my formatting: Reen Machine, click here!

Old
07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

tony d is up and left me his list. He selects Leo Reise, Sr., Defense.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

MUD BRUNETEAU

height:5-11
weight:185
position:RW
shoots:Right

Won 3 stanley cups with the Detroit Red Wings
top10 goals: 5th , 10th
goals per game: 1st , 6th

Quote:
Right-winger Modere "Mud" Bruneteau was a nifty offensive player who ensured himself a permanent place in NHL folklore by ending the longest game in playoff history in 1936. In addition to his overtime heroics, he registered three 20-goal seasons and played on a trio of Stanley Cup championships in Motown.

Bruneteau played solid two-way hockey to help the Wings repeat as Cup champions in 1937, the first U.S. club to do so. By the early 1940s, the clever winger took on a more offensive role with the club. He formed a productive line with Syd Howe and Carl Liscombe and helped Detroit win the Stanley Cup in 1943. The next season, he set a personal high with 35 goals and served as the team's co-captain with Flash Hollett
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWlegends
Mud Bruneteau of course will forever go down in hockey legend for ending the longest game in NHL history. Come playoff time, the media, be it in print or broadcast, always do a feature on his heroics.

But often lost in the legend of Mud Bruneteau is the fact that he was a very good hockey player."Mud" helped the Wings win another Cup in 1937 but didn't blossom as a player until the Wings 3rd Cup championship in 1943. Often playing with Carl Liscombe and the great Syd Howe, "Mud" led the Wings in goals with 23 goals. He added 5 more in the playoffs, including a hat trick in game one of the Finals against Boston. In 1943-44, Bruneteau had a career high 35 goals in just 39 games.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Bah. Strongly considered drafting him instead of Fielder. Missed him by that much.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:37 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
With picks 112 and 113, I'm going to grab a couple of O6-era minor-league greats.

Fred Glover (RW) was a warrior, never giving up the puck without a fight. He led the AHL in goals in 1951 (and was second three times), assists in 1960, points in 1957 and 1960, and penalty minutes in 1965. He was league MVP three times and made eight All-Star teams, and when he retired he held the AHL career records in goals, assists, points and penalty minutes.

Guyle Fielder (C) was a consummate playmaker. In his second pro season in 1952/53, he led the AHL in assists. He then moved on to the WHL and just to prove his performance wasn't a fluke, the led that league in helpers thirteen times in the next fifteen seasons. This resulted in nine scoring titles, three league MVP titles, three division MVP titles, three most gentlemanly player awards and thirteen All-Star team appearances. He retired with just over 2,000 professional points including playoffs, and an average of just under one assist per game (throwing in over 400 goals to boot).

I know several historians who would put one or the other in the Hall of Fame, in particular Fielder. It looks to me that neither was drafted at all, at any level, last year. I find that baffling.
Why were they unable to make the NHL?

(I think our (now skipped) pick is coming soon...)

Old
07-18-2011, 11:38 PM
vecens24

Steve Sullivan, F. Bio will be done in the next hour or two, but since we're past our time I'm posting the pick now.

Old
07-18-2011, 11:42 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Steve Sullivan, F. Bio will be done in the next hour or two, but since we're past our time I'm posting the pick now.
...and that's why I said Stastny was "probably" the best offensive winger left.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

With pick #116, the Pittsburgh Hornets select Art Jackson, C.

3x Top 15 Goals (10, 10, 14)
2x Top 15 Assists (5, 12)
3x Top 20 Points (9, 13, 19)

Quote:
A slick playmaking centre, Art Jackson had a fine eleven-year NHL tenure in the 1930s and 40s. Statistically his finest years came with the Boston Bruins in the mid-1940s when they lost some of their top skaters to military service. Art was the youngest member of the famous hockey family that included star Harvey "Busher" Jackson.

During his first three pro seasons, he played a checking role with the NHL's Maple Leafs and the Syracuse Stars of the AHL. After spending a year each with the Boston Bruins and New York Americans, Jackson returned to Beantown in 1939-40 and remained there for the next five and a half years.

In Boston, Jackson became a solid playmaker and checker playing as the third centre behind Bill Cowley and Milt Schmidt. He was on hand when the "black and gold" won their second Stanley Cup in three years in 1941. When the Bruins lost the "Kraut Line" of Schmidt, Dumart, and Bauer to military service, Jackson assumed a key role in keeping the team competitive. He registered consecutive 20-goal seasons in 1942-43 and 1943-44 playing on a line with Cowley and Herb Cain. During the early '40s he also had the opportunity to play with his brother, Harvey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette Jan. 19, 1944
Both of the Boston tallies were provided by Art Jackson. His first goal was a rink-length solo effort in the second period and during the third session he batted in Herb Cain's rebound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen Mar. 24, 1943
Boston Bruins gained a two-games lead over Montreal Canadiens in their Stanley Cup hockey playoff series by putting together an exciting 5-3 triumph tonight before a 12,000 crowd at the Boston Garden. It was the second straight victory for the Bruins.

... Art Jackson, who tallied twice tonight, chalked up No. 1 late in the second and the other with less than a minute to play in the final....

...Then, with about four minutes to go, Canadiens drove furiously for the "equalizer." While they were applying heavy pressure, Art Jackson foiled them by stealing the puck from O'Connor in center ice and speeding down to ram the puck through Goalie ****** who appeared stunned by that spectacular solo effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times Apr. 2, 1943
If Boston had a hero he was Art Jackson, wing, who bagged the first goal at 18:53 of the first period and spearheaded the Bruin attack most of the night.
He'll center the Hornets' third line.

Last edited by Selfish Man: 07-19-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old
07-19-2011, 12:22 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
...and that's why I said Stastny was "probably" the best offensive winger left.
We did like Stastny's offense better than Sullivan. Otherwise, why pick him first when Sullivan has a pretty decent two way game?

I think if you project what Stastny did in his first 2 NHL seasons (as a 29 and 30 year old) over his early career, when he was known to be a "star," his offense looks very good compared to most wingers in this thing.

Anyway, Sullivan has experience playing all three forward positions, and that along with his very respectable two-way game makes him valuable here. We very well may use him as a second line center here; not sure yet. We see him as a guy with the skills to be a defensive presence on a scoring line or an offensive presence on a defensive line.

And he also goes along what is turning out to be an incredibly fast-skating team.

Old
07-19-2011, 01:10 AM
vecens24

Steve Sullivan, F

Toronto Maple Leafs: 1997-1999
Chicago Blackhawks: 1999-2004
Nashville Predators: 2004-2011
Pittsburgh Penguins: 2011-

Offense and Leadership:

Scott Burnside:

Quote:
"...terrific speed and dynamic offensive skills."
Teammate Jason York:

Quote:
"He's just got so much speed, so much skill. You can tell he wants to win. He's got a lot of heart."
Craig Button:

Quote:
"Steve Sullivan is an electrifying player who has an indomitable will to win."
Larry Lage, Sporting News:

Quote:
"The Predators are 50 games over .500 with Sullivan in the lineup, taking advantage of his 190 points in 191 games and leadership.
Legends of Hockey:

Quote:
"Although small in stature, Sullivan is a crafty player with breakaway speed..."
Defense:

Alex Yannis, NYTimes:

Quote:
"Both XXX and Sullivan are smallish and good two-way players."
3 times Top 10 in SH Goals, including 1st in 2001.

Vs2 for Sullivan:

84, 78*, 69, 67, 64**, 59, 53

*: Vs3, Sakic was 2 and outscored 3rd by 22 points
**: Vs3, Jagr was 2 and outscored 3rd by 17 points

7 seasons over with a Vs2 over 50, 5 over 60 makes him one of the most consistent wingers offensively in this draft.

Sullivan should slot in on our second line as a solid two-way, speedy presence. He will also be on the second PK unit.

Old
07-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Red Wings select Jaroslav Spacek, D.

(with our skipped 106th pick)

Old
07-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Why were they unable to make the NHL?
Glover apparently clashed with management a lot.

Fielder may have had to do with his style not being seen as fitting the NHL at the time.

Old
07-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Really? I can't see it, I know his son went but I go to check to see if he was still available before I picked and he's still there.
He was listpicked for you:
Quote:

That said the Sleepwatchers select LW, Nick Libett (with pick 117).

Old
07-19-2011, 07:51 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Steve Sullivan, F

Toronto Maple Leafs: 1997-1999
Chicago Blackhawks: 1999-2004
Nashville Predators: 2004-2011
Pittsburgh Penguins: 2011-

Offense and Leadership:

Scott Burnside:

Teammate Jason York:

Craig Button:

Larry Lage, Sporting News:

Legends of Hockey:

Defense:

Alex Yannis, NYTimes:

3 times Top 10 in SH Goals, including 1st in 2001.

Vs2 for Sullivan:

84, 78*, 69, 67, 64**, 59, 53

*: Vs3, Sakic was 2 and outscored 3rd by 22 points
**: Vs3, Jagr was 2 and outscored 3rd by 17 points

7 seasons over with a Vs2 over 50, 5 over 60 makes him one of the most consistent wingers offensively in this draft.

Sullivan should slot in on our second line as a solid two-way, speedy presence. He will also be on the second PK unit.
Always liked him. Never understood why Pat Quinn only chose to see that Sullivan was small and not that he was fast and talented.

Good effort all the time and his return from his back problems shows a lot of dedication.

Old
07-19-2011, 07:58 AM
tony d
The franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
He was listpicked for you:

That said the Sleepwatchers select LW, Nick Libett (with pick 117).
Right on, I knew he was still available. Oh and good pick on Libbett, was looking at him as a possible 3rd line winger.