HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Draft Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 08:03 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
With our second selection, Eden Hall is thrilled to select a highly skilled, fast skating center who can both score goals and set them up at a high level:

Billy McGimsie, C

-Skated for the Rat Portage (later Kenora) Thistles from 1899-1907 (senior hockey from 1902-1907).

-Inducted into the HHOF in 1962.

McGimsie has some surprisingly strong goal scoring credentials:

1902-03: Led the senior Manitoba loop with 10 goals in 5 games.

1903 Challenge Match vs. the Ottawa Silver Seven: Scored 3 of his team's 4 goals over two games.

1903-04 regular season: 16 goals in 11 games (1st in his league)

1904-05 regular season: 28 goals in 8 games (2nd in his league, 1 goal behind Tommy Phillips, who had just returned from the East)

1905-06 regular season: 21 goals in 9 games (3rd in his league behind Billy Breen and Tommy Phillips)

(Credit to Iain Fyffe for correcting these stats)

Despite McGimsie's goal scoring exploits, he appears to have been better known for his speed, stickhandling, and playmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden D. Mills
Billy was fairly small for a centerman, only 5'8" and 145 pounds, but what he lacked in size he more than made up for in speed and agility. McGimsie was one of the fastest forwards of the day, as well as one of the finest passers. Playing with future hall-of-famers Tommy Phillips, Tom Hooper, and Si Griffis, Billy had unlimited options. Many times he would simply take it to the net himself and pop it in. McGimsie would later claim that it was the Thistles' incredible front line that invented the modern tic-tac-toe passing game in an era where players would simply lift the puck down to the other end of the ice and then chase after it. Based on newspaper articles of the day desciribing the Thistles' play, he was not exaggerating with his bold assessment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habseyesontheprize
Billy McGimsie had been badly cut and bruised in the first series against the Silver Seven two years prior. He was known at the time for his skating and "dribbling", an early term for stickhandling.
A description of McGimsie's performance in the 1906 Cup Challenge when Kenora (pop 4000) became the smallest town to win the Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden D. Mills
The Thistles were victorious in the two game, total goals series. McGimsie scored early in the second game to pace the Thistles to a 6-2 half time lead. He also made several nifty passes to teammates Phillips and Hooper, who neatly deposited the pucks into the Wanderers' nets. After a furious comeback by Montreal that made it 6 all, McGimsie made one final rush down the ice with teammate XXX that resulted in the game winning goal. Hooper tacked on an insurance tally and the Stanley Cup was finally in the Thistles' hands.
Sources:
http://hobokin.net/mcgimsie.html
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...anley-cup.html

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 07-13-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old
07-12-2011, 08:24 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Winnipeg Falcons select

1st pick, Cecil Thompson G
2nd pick, Mark Tardiff LW

*crosses fingers
216. Velociraptor - Cleveland Barons - Tiny Thompson, G
715. papershoes - Kenora Thistles - Marc Tardif, LW

The ATD had 40 teams, so 80 goalies selected (really 81). It would have been a strange draft indeed if Tiny Thompson was not one of the first 81 goalies selected.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
With our second selection, Eden Hall is thrilled to select a highly skilled, fast skating center who can both score goals and set them up at a high level:
You bugger.

McGimsie played with Rat Portage starting in 1899, back when they played intermediate hockey because only Winnipeg teams were permitted to play senior. He was always in Phillips' shadow (except when Phillips was going to school in the east of course), but he was not far behind Nibs offensively.

One heck of a player, and one heck of a pick.

Correcting the stats a bit, according to my records:

1903-04 regular season: actually 16 goals in 11 games (1st in his league)

1904-05 regular season: 28 goals in 8 games (2nd in his league, Phillips had 29)

He also led the senior Manitoba loop in 1902-03 with 10 in 5 games.

My next two picks coming up soon.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:18 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
You bugger.

McGimsie played with Rat Portage starting in 1899, back when they played intermediate hockey because only Winnipeg teams were permitted to play senior. He was always in Phillips' shadow (except when Phillips was going to school in the east of course), but he was not far behind Nibs offensively.

One heck of a player, and one heck of a pick.

Correcting the stats a bit, according to my records:

1903-04 regular season: actually 16 goals in 11 games (1st in his league)

1904-05 regular season: 28 goals in 8 games (2nd in his league, Phillips had 29)

He also led the senior Manitoba loop in 1902-03 with 10 in 5 games.

My next two picks coming up soon.
Thanks. I'd be lying if said I didn't notice your praise of McGimsie on the HOH board a few weeks ago. He was the other guy when I said I was guessing you'd either pick Paton or someone else with your first pick.

My stats were from the profile created by Borden Mills: http://hobokin.net/mcgimsie.html

Quote:
During the 1903-04 regular season, Billy chipped in 14 goals in 11 games to take the league scoring title by one over the Brandon Wheat Kings' left wing sniper, (undrafted player)

McGimsie's scoring prowess took flight the following year, when Rat Portage native Tommy Phillips returned from playing hockey in the east to bolster the Thistles' offensive attack. Billy scored an incredible 28 goals in only 8 games to pace the league and lead the Thistles to the M.N.H.A. championship....
I suppose it's possible he made liberal use of the phrase "to pace the league," but it's weird he got the total from 1903-04 wrong.

Prior to this draft, I started researching the few available HHOF players and the more I read about McGimsie, the more I liked him.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfish Man View Post
The Pittsburgh Hornets select Jim Morrison, D
What? He wasn't drafted yet? *****!

I would think he'll definately be the best offensive defenseman in the MLD. He was top-10 in scoring among defensemen every season he was in the NHL.... or something close to that at least.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

The Brandon Shamrocks are pleased to select:

Billy Breen, C
James Stewart, D

I was originally going to wait a tick on Breen, but the McGimsie pick spooked me a bit and I wanted to make sure to get him.

Breen had two seasons when he competed directly against Phillips and McGimsie. In 1905-06 the league top scorers were Phillips-Breen-McGimsie, and in 1904-05 it was Phillips-McGimsie-Breen. In both years there wasn't anyone else in spitting distance of these three. They were in a separate class offensively.

Breen also led his league four other times in scoring, not in direct competition to these two, but of course the Manitoba leagues at the time were flush with talent; I won't mention any names since I don't have time to see who's been drafted among them.

He turned pro at the end of his career, and in 1907-08 led the pro MHL in points per game ahead of some noteworthy players. In 13 pro games he scored 28 goals and added 13 assists. After scoring 6 points in his only game in 1908-09, his pro team folded and he was unable to regain his amateur status. It was his last game, though he was only 25 years old at the time.

Stewart is something of a defensive pick, if you'll pardon the pun. One might build an argument that Paton was not the most important cog in the Winged Wheelers' defence; Stewart played for the Crystals before joining the AAA, and in two of those three years the Crystals allowed the fewest goals per game.

He played point for each of his 11 years, the second-most important defensive position, and in 9 of those years his team allowed the fewest goals per game. He completes the triumvirate of Paton and Allan Cameron (who went in the ATD at #653 this year and #706 last year) to form the nucleus of the defensively dominant Winged Wheelers teams that lasted into the 1890s.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
I suppose it's possible he made liberal use of the phrase "to pace the league," but it's weird he got the total from 1903-04 wrong.
Not weird for stats from that era to be off by a bit. Those stats might have been built without access to complete game reports. As I recall I multi-sourced that season from two Winnipeg papers and a Rat Portage one.

In 1900-01, McGimsie was second in the Manitoba intermediate series with 16 goals in 11 games. Only Jack Marshall scored more. He outscored Phillips, who was still paying cover-point at that time. Billy Breen beat him in goals per game though, and beat Marshall too.

In 1901-02, McGimsie was second in goals to Joe Hall, though this time McGimsie takes the honours on a per-game basis.

Good call. He was my #2. I actually consider Breen the better of the two, but knew McGimsie was more likely to go high,

Old
07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
The Brandon Shamrocks are pleased to select:

Billy Breen, C

Breen had two seasons when he competed directly against Phillips and McGimsie. In 1905-06 the league top scorers were Phillips-Breen-McGimsie, and in 1904-05 it was Phillips-McGimsie-Breen. In both years there wasn't anyone else in spitting distance of these three. They were in a separate class offensively.

Breen also led his league four other times in scoring, not in direct competition to these two, but of course the Manitoba leagues at the time were flush with talent; I won't mention any names since I don't have time to see who's been drafted among them.

He turned pro at the end of his career, and in 1907-08 led the pro MHL in points per game ahead of some noteworthy players. In 13 pro games he scored 28 goals and added 13 assists. After scoring 6 points in his only game in 1908-09, his pro team folded and he was unable to regain his amateur status. It was his last game, though he was only 25 years old at the time.
I introduced Breen to the ATD subboard in the 16th round of AA 2010
and it was well received (seventieslord almost had a coronary at his shock ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
...center Billy Breen, the captain of the Winnipeg Rowing Club team that played mighty Ottawa in a Stanley Cup Challenge series they lost 2 games to 1 in 1904. Breen scored 2 goals in winning game 2 of the series after scoring the lone Winnipeg goal in a 9-1 thumping the previous game, as McGee had scored 4 and Westwick 3 and Winnipeg's Bad Joe Hall had been injured by Ottawa thuggery that was so bad that their own fans booed them in what was one of the dirtiest games of a dirty playin' Ottawa club. If Breen and his boys had managed to win game three they would have gone down in history as Stanley Cup champions and got the sort of media coverage that fellow Manitoba league teams the Victorias (1901, 1902) and Thistles (1907) had gotten. Breen was the scoring champion 5 times during the first decade of 20th century hockey in Manitoba, a place where many all-time greats played. For example, he edged out Tommy Phillips and Billy McGimsie for the scoring title in 1906 with his 26 goals in 9 games. Back in 1902 he finished 2nd in scoring to Scanlan, who unlike Breen played with a couple of greats (e.g., Bain).

Quote:
"...nimble..."
http://hobokin.net/phillips.html

Quote:
noted as a checker as well as a goal scorer
http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/people/breen_ww.shtml

Quote:
Born in Winnipeg, this centreman played ten years in the Manitoba Senior Hockey League from 1900 to 1909. He was Captain of the Winnipeg Rowing Club and scored 3 goals in a three game 1903-04 Stanley Cup Challenge against the Ottawa Silver Seven. He was a high-scoring forward who won the scoring title five of the ten years he was in the league, and his 129 goals was the most scored in that decade.
http://www.mbhockeyhalloffame.ca/hon...tegory=9&id=58
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1903%E2...ey_Club_season
Iain has written about Breen on Hfboards this year and so it is no surprise at all that he would be selected this draft! He IS arguably among the Top-1000 players of all time and should make his ATD debut, even if late round bench pick, sometime in the future, given 40 team drafts.

Last edited by VanIslander: 07-12-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old
07-12-2011, 09:38 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
What? He wasn't drafted yet? *****!

I would think he'll definately be the best offensive defenseman in the MLD. He was top-10 in scoring among defensemen every season he was in the NHL.... or something close to that at least.
Brian Campbell > Jim Morrison.

Ahem, Eden Hall selects Brian Campbell, D

-2nd Team All-Star in 2007-08

-Played in 3 All Star Games (2007, 2008, 2009)

-10th in Norris voting in 2006-07 (0-0-3-4-15)
-5th in Norris voting in 2008-09 (1-18-16-31-24)

-Stanley Cup in 2010 - Team high +11 in the playoffs and assist on the Cup winning goal.

Scoring:

In Campbell's 4 year peak (2005-06 to 2008-09), he was 7th in scoring by defensemen with 206 points (51.5 points per season), 94.5% of 2nd place Brian Rafalski's total.

Sometime in 2009-10, Campbell lost his spot Chicago's first PP unit in favor of Duncan Keith and Keith's regular partner, part of the reason his point totals decreased. Despite not getting first unit PP time for the large part of the last 2 seasons, Campbell's 271 points in the 6 years since the lockout place him 9th among defensemen, with 87.4% of 2nd place Visnovsky's total.

Campbell (9th) is the only one of the top 16 highest scoring defensemen since the lockout not to be taken in the main draft:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...rder_by=points

-As a bonus, once in a blue moon, Campbell physically destroys someone.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Good to see the Manitoba Hall of Fame used the corrections I sent them a couple of years ago. They used to have the "remained staunchly amateur throughout his career" line with him (as if that would someone make him more admirable as a player), but that was plainly false.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
You're really starting to cheese me off with your picks. Did I email you my draft list by mistake or something?

Old
07-12-2011, 09:43 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Am I the only one that is rather impressed by the depth of knowledge possessed by the new guys?

Old
07-12-2011, 09:44 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I introduced Breen to the ATD subboard in the 16th round of AA 2010
and it was well received (seventieslord almost had a coronary at his shock ).

Iain has written about Breen on Hfboards this year and so it is no surprise at all that he would be selected this draft! He IS arguably among the Top-1000 players of all time and should make his ATD debut, even if late round bench pick, sometime in the future, given 40 team drafts.
Main draft debut? I think that's a little bit too far, unless Iain can provide information about playmaking, defense, or intangibles. One generic quote mentioning "checking" isn't enough to make him a 3rd or 4th liner, and how useful is goal scoring center as a spare?

We probably wouldn't have even taken McGimsie at this point if there weren't multiple references to his playmaking abillities in his detailed profile, even though he would have been worthy from a talent perspective (as is Breen at this point). I, for one, am sick of trying to build around goal-scoring centers.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:47 PM
seventieslord

7th, 8th, 8th, 8th, 9th, 11th <------------------ Jim Morrison's points placements among defensemen. A case study in why percentages >>>>> rankings, particularly for defensemen. Only once did Morrison ever have even half as many points as the defense points leader.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:48 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
You're really starting to cheese me off with your picks. Did I email you my draft list by mistake or something?
There were a few guys we were looking at with our third pick Drozdetsky and McGimsie were penciled in as our first two picks for some time now, but our third pick was between guys at various positions. When Phat Wilson and Gerry Galley both went, we figured we'd better grab Campbell fast (who we both liked just a bit better than Galley).

Old
07-12-2011, 09:48 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Main draft debut? I think that's a little bit too far, unless Iain can provide information about playmaking, defense, or intangibles. One generic quote mentioning "checking" isn't enough to make him a 3rd or 4th liner, and how useful is goal scoring center as a spare?
Agree.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:53 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Am I the only one that is rather impressed by the depth of knowledge possessed by the new guys?
oh crap, I'm not doing a very good job concealing the fact that he is, in fact, a seventieslord sock.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Brian Campbell > Jim Morrison.

Not offensivey, he doesn't. Campbell only has a couple of meaningful seasons under his belt. He's got 2 good ones and 3 decent ones. That doesn't compare to Morrison's full career of providing consistently good offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
7th, 8th, 8th, 8th, 9th, 11th <------------------ Jim Morrison's points placements among defensemen. A case study in why percentages >>>>> rankings, particularly for defensemen. Only once did Morrison ever have even half as many points as the defense points leader.
Of course, when the leader is one of the most dominant offensive defensemen of all time, you can see why. Morrison's competition in scoring from the blueline was scary. He went head to head with like almost a dozen guys who are legit #1 defenensemen in this year's ATD...... Campbell's competition isn't even close.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
oh crap, I'm not doing a very good job concealing the fact that he is, in fact, a seventieslord sock.
Or the fact that you're devilishly handsome and charming to boot.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Not offensivey, he doesn't. Campbell only has a couple of meaningful seasons under his belt. He's got 2 good ones and 3 decent ones. That doesn't compare to Morrison's full career of providing consistently good offense.

Of course, when the leader is one of the most dominant offensive defensemen of all time, you can see why. Morrison's competition in scoring from the blueline was scary. He went head to head with like almost a dozen guys who are legit #1 defenensemen in this year's ATD...... Campbell's competition isn't even close.
How much more impressive is it for Harvey to score 50, or for Gadsby to score 46, or for Pilote to score 45, compared to Lidstrom scoring 70?

Old
07-12-2011, 09:59 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Main draft debut? I think that's a little bit too far
I specifically mentioned if it's a 40-team draft (1000 players).

Are you saying there aren't a dozen ATD 2011 picks that OUGHT NOT to have been made? Or that Breen is not among the twelve that should replace those bad ATD 2011 picks.

Billy Breen vs. Marc Savard, Robert Lang, Viktor Shuvalov, Anze Kopitar, Vladimir Zabrodsky, Ed Olczyk, Mike Rogers, Cliff Ronning, Doru Tureanu, Alexander Almetov, to mention just a few late ATD 2011 centers picked. Surely Breen is at least as good a pick as a couple of these?

Of course, more research is desired. There are some early era ATDers that have little info too.

Old
Dreakmur

Quote:
I, for one, am sick of trying to build around goal-scoring centers.
Why do you think I almost always start off with a playmaking center? They are so easy to build around....

Old
seventieslord

Quote:
Or the fact that you're devilishly handsome and charming to boot.

I'm so happy we just posted in the same minute, otherwise I think a few guys might have actually started wondering.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:01 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Campbell's scoring finishes: 3rd, 10th, 18th, 21st. When he was 21st, he had something like 8 points less than 2nd among defensemen. When Morrison was 7th (his best ever finish), how far behind second place was he?

Quote:
The depth of competition is a hell of a lot better now, considering only 6-12 defensemen even saw a regular shift on the powerplay when Morrison played.

I would need a more nuanced view of the stats to decide who is better offensively here.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

tony d's list pick

the Garnish Dragons select Frank "Buzz" Boll

will make my pick momentarily.

Closed Thread