HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fehr traded to Winnipeg for 4th rd pick and Paquette

Old
07-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
It was time for a salary dump, and you're clearly doing a favor to Fehr with the destination. You have to think that was part of the reason.

It doesn't stink as a salary dump, for it gives the Caps what they want out of a salary dump: cap space. It's not great as a hockey trade. Now if there had been a tremendous offer out there, you have to think McPhee would have gone for it, but it seems probable that whatever offers there were, they were all of the middling variety. So send him to a good fit destination as a reward for years of service. GMs are a little wary of guys who miss that much time. It seems doubtful McPhee passed up another offer of a second rounder and a great prospect. This was what you could get for him, if you're telling teams that you can't take on salary.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:18 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
maybe there's a disagreement in our premises. what numbers did you use to arrive at that conclusion? every $500k of regular season cap space approximately equals $2.3M of room at the TDL.

with alzner at $2.5M, poti on LTIR, and one cheap forward in the pressbox there's ~$3.5M at the deadline. that seems to be enough for a quality player.
That's not how LTIR works. You don't use what you need and save the rest, you use what you need and lose the rest. LTIR lets you exceed the cap by up to the amount of Poti's cap hit, but only if you need it all; all it does is bring you down to exactly the cap. So even if they don't end up using it all, if they're using any of it then they're not banking spacce. They'd have wiggle room for callups and trades and such, but not much and it wouldn't get banked for the deadline.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:19 PM
pga5

Straight-up salary dump. Not a horrible deal for a guy who the (current) coach wasn't going to play anyway.

pga5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Dirtbag59

Chimera and Schultz need to be dumped as well. That would free up $4.6 million in cap space. The dropoff between Schultz/Chimera is not much with the prospects poised to replace them and who knows some of them could end up being better NHLer's by the end of the year.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:28 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Fehr rarely got to play with a playmaking center. He is such a logical candidate for one, he is a gunner and not much else. It says something that he had a nice run with great goals per TOI number. Injuries set him back and George cut the cord. I think Fehr in Peg with a scoring line role is good for 15G+ this year. Shoulders optional.

Our lines are becoming clearer...

OBK | Bro Laich Semin | Chimera MJ Ward | Hendricks Halpern Beagle
King

Laich at wing pushes Halpern to 3C and Beagle/Sjogren/Eakin to 4C. Not sure where Brouwer goes.
Best description of Fehr. He doesn't hit, use his size, injured often and he was drafted for the role of being a gunner/sniper player. A poor man's version of Brett Hull when he was drafted. I am saying this as a Fehr fan. Those that said he was a power forward or drafted as a power forward were expecting something he will never be.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:30 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Chimera and Schultz need to be dumped as well. That would free up $4.6 million in cap space. The dropoff between Schultz/Chimera is not much with the prospects poised to replace them and who knows some of them could end up being better NHLer's by the end of the year.
The only way I see Chimera getting traded is if Eakin or Sjogren is ready to take over his spot. I don't see him being moved until mid season if at all this year, imo. I may be wrong.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Fehr was already struggling to remain on the fourth line and escape 13th forward territory, earning more than $2M, when the Caps added two wingers this summer, specifically heralded because they were going to make the Caps harder to play, something that Fehr never was for this club, often shirking his defensive responsibilities. That's why he found himself in Boudreau's doghouse.

He's a sniper, and not a fast one, and not a dynamic one. He scores goals from the circles with a lethal right handed shot (of which the team has too many), and that only when he's actually healthy.

Look, I consider myself a Fehr fan, and believe on a depleted Winnipeg team that he could put up 25-to-35 goals when healthy (someone has to score, even on a bad team -- the Willsie Sucks! Corrollary), but this was the right player to dump, in an area where the Caps are stacked. They had to get back no salary for a guy known to be injury prone, who currently has a bad shoulder. Again.

Per McNally via Twitter: 'BTW - Fehr (right shoulder surgery) said he "doubts" he'll be ready for training camp and "it could be a while longer" before he's cleared.' Where have we heard this before? That's right. Fehr's whole NHL career.

McPhee is a miracle worker, but he's not God. This is about what he could get from any team, and McPhee chose Winnipeg because they're going to love him there, he's going to love playing there, and his trade value was low anyway. The Caps didn't have to take back salary. Win-Win-Win. I wish him well.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:41 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
That's not how LTIR works. You don't use what you need and save the rest, you use what you need and lose the rest. LTIR lets you exceed the cap by up to the amount of Poti's cap hit, but only if you need it all; all it does is bring you down to exactly the cap. So even if they don't end up using it all, if they're using any of it then they're not banking spacce. They'd have wiggle room for callups and trades and such, but not much and it wouldn't get banked for the deadline.
i thought there was some exemption for players whose long-term medical status is unclear, but old articles on ian laperriere say "no."

so i guess i meant "poti retires," or "poti reclaims his career starting in hershey." crap. thanks though.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
The only way I see Chimera getting traded is if Eakin or Sjogren is ready to take over his spot. I don't see him being moved until mid season if at all this year, imo. I may be wrong.
I think they should be ready. At least Eakin. Eakin has the speed, defensive smarts, and offensive upside to justify moving Chimera. The only thing you really loose is size and experience, though you gain a decent pair of hands (which isn't hard to upgrade giving Chimera's reputation as stone hands). Both players are hard workers.

Sjogren I feel like at the start of the year will be replacing Bradly opposite Hendricks.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:56 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Vokoun > Varlamov
Halpern > B. Gordon
Brouwer > Bradley
Ward > Fehr
Hamrlik > Hannan (hopefully it'll be Jeff Schultz instead)
Sjogren/Eakin > Arnott/Sturm

Caps should now be .4 under cap. Poti LTIR should bring that to 3.2 which should be enough for Alzner.

That Hannan has still not signed gives me some hope. Trade Schultz (2.7) for draft pick and waive DJ King (600k) would be about 3.3 which could be sufficient for Hannan, sure term is important to him as well so would expct it to be for 4 years.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:05 PM
pgreene

no problem with this deal at all. never too impressed with fehr as a player, even leaving aside the health issues. throw in the fact that he's hurt all the time, and getting any return is solid work. hope he blossoms in 'peg. won't be surprised at all if he doesn't.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Foy

Something else with the timing of the trade, The Caps now have plenty of space in case a team is thinking of offering Alzner an offer sheet just above what the Caps could match with the 10% cushion. I believe they can now sign Alzner for $6.6 or thereabouts, where as before it was in the $4.4 range they could offer up.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Langway
Intangibles

My big takeaway from the front office's moves so far is that they want players whose habits away from the puck are trustworthy and who are hard to play against beyond their sheer skill level. Fehr's a pure finisher but beyond his wingspan and reach on the forecheck he wasn't a particularly hard player to play against. That's what's needed in a bottom six capacity if you're going to grind teams down and so he became less and less of a fit on this club. In a more pronounced top six role with the right surrounding cast he should be adequate enough but I think the front office is starting to wise up about the necessary mix.

Paquette may eventually evolve into a Kaleta type but that's at least a year away and far from a sure thing. It would be a bonus. He may be able to take the pest role that Pinizzotto filled in Hershey but it's unlikely he has the same defensive hockey IQ and PKing ability (of course, Paquette is also six years younger). Just making Hershey's roster would be an achievement at this point. If he can manage to do that then maybe he can start gaining confidence and put it all together.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:19 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Chimera - MAJO - Semin
Brouwer - Laich - Ward
Hendricks - Halpern - Eakin
Sjogren/Beagle

Hamrlik - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Hannan - Wideman

Vokoun
Neuvirth

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:40 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I've always been high on Fehr and I still believe he has 25g potential, but that would never have happened here. The return isn't great, but its hard to be upset about it.

And I don't think you can overestimate the goodwill mcphee is going to get from the players for sending Fehr home.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Capitlols

Why is it that fans of Winnipeg and other teams think the Caps got absolutely fleeced. Its as if Fehr is some bonafide scorer in this league to their eyes.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:52 PM
IafrateOvie34

This past week I've been watching as much videos on Sjogren I can find and I like what he is bringing to the table. Training camp will be interesting and I like the fact he is going to be at the prospects camp. Every year I keep hoping we get a gem from out of nowhere. Those that are going to the Prospects camp, can you keep us informed here please.

Old
um

i wonder if stillman will take a paycut to

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dirtbag59

(Alternate positions and special team roles)

Ovechkin (RW, PP)-Backstrom (PP, PK)-Knubble (LW, PP, PK)
Bouwer (RW, PP)-MaJo (PP,PK)-Semin (LW, PP,PK)
Ward (RW, PK)-Laich (LW, RW, PK, PP)-Eakin (C, RW, PK)
Sjogren (C, RW, PK)-Halpern (PK)-Hendricks
Beagle

Hammer (PK)-Green (PK, PP)
Alzner (PK)-Carlson (PK, PP)
Erskine (PK)-Wideman (PK, PP)

Vokoun
Nuevy

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 07-09-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old
07-08-2011, 10:56 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Why is it that fans of Winnipeg and other teams think the Caps got absolutely fleeced. Its as if Fehr is some bonafide scorer in this league to their eyes.
They are still stuck in 2003 and thinking he will be that type of player. Also, he is a home town boy, so they are all excited to see a local play, if he does.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Vokoun > Varlamov
Halpern > B. Gordon
Brouwer > Bradley
Ward > Fehr
Hamrlik > Hannan (hopefully it'll be Jeff Schultz instead)
Sjogren/Eakin > Arnott/Sturm

Caps should now be .4 under cap. Poti LTIR should bring that to 3.2 which should be enough for Alzner.

That Hannan has still not signed gives me some hope. Trade Schultz (2.7) for draft pick and waive DJ King (600k) would be about 3.3 which could be sufficient for Hannan, sure term is important to him as well so would expct it to be for 4 years.
No way Sjogren/Eakin > Arnott/Sturm! Arnott was so much of what this team needed. Also, in all likelihood, Eakin will be in Hershey this season. Hard to say what Sjogren will turn out to be but hopefully he adds some edge and fore check. I agree all the other players are positive additions too.

Sad to see Fehr go. The highlight of his time here was definitely the Montreal series when he was one of the only pieces in the organization doing anything right. Whole lot of injuries though and thi gives the 3rd and 4th line a little more of a clear and traditional identity and I think that's probably best right now.

O-B-K
Bro-Laich-Semin
Chimera-MaJo-Ward
Hendo-Halpern-Beagle

Sjogren-King

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:04 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
No, it's that the Caps got absolute dick in return.

They basically gave them Fehr after McPhee told us they didn't have Cap issues.

Where's the logic?

The Capitals have shuffled the **** around (outside of the goalie swap) and not addressed their core issues.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:23 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Meh, I think Arnott is being a bit overrated much like Fedorov. Perfect addition for the locker room, and able to provide moments of brilliance on the ice, but the game has largely passed him by. Not a particularly consistent producer on the ice, but got a pass from most fans because of his resume.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
No, it's that the Caps got absolute dick in return.

They basically gave them Fehr after McPhee told us they didn't have Cap issues.

Where's the logic?

The Capitals have shuffled the **** around (outside of the goalie swap) and not addressed their core issues.
Please we have an overabundant amount of wings and Fehr's brittle shoulders made him expendable.

I assume you mean 2nd line center as a 'core issue', but there were zero established 2nd line center available in free agency and to trade for one would be expensive. Would it really be worth trading Green to get one?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Dirtbag59

Sounds like sending Fehr to Winnepeg was actually something he wanted.

EricFehr16 Eric Fehr
Thanks for all the well wishes! I really enjoyed my time in Washington, but I'm super excited to fulfill my dream of playing for the #jets!
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply