HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fehr traded to Winnipeg for 4th rd pick and Paquette

Old
07-08-2011, 11:26 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Please we have an overabundant amount of wings and Fehr's brittle shoulders made him expendable.

I assume you mean 2nd line center as a 'core issue', but there were zero established 2nd line center available in free agency and to trade for one would be expensive. Would it really be worth trading Green to get one?
Possibly. It depends on who was made available. If you remember, the Caps surged to 1st when Wideman came in and Green was shelved. They have enough puck movers back there and Orlov in the minors.

2nd line C and Coach are definitely "core issues".

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Sounds like sending Fehr to Winnepeg was actually something he wanted.

EricFehr16 Eric Fehr
Thanks for all the well wishes! I really enjoyed my time in Washington, but I'm super excited to fulfill my dream of playing for the #jets!
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Good riddance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Possibly. It depends on who was made available. If you remember, the Caps surged to 1st when Wideman came in and Green was shelved. They have enough puck movers back there and Orlov in the minors.

2nd line C and Coach are definitely "core issues".
Again I'm not sold on Wideman. I still fear he will revert back to his crappy ways a la Boston and Florida. As for Orlov, he's a complete unknown, wouldn't rely on him to carry the load puck-moving wise yet.

As for coach...yeah I agree, but he'll be given another year. Time to cope with it.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Millhaus

I always expected Fehr to be LTIR'd to start the season, which would have meant he would have missed at least the first 10 games. At that point to bring him back if nobody else had been LTIR'd, besides Poti of course, someone would have had to be moved. The current team and Fehr would not fit under the cap and even if the cap was raised for some reason and they could either Chimera and his almost $1.9 mil salary or Fehr and his $2.2 mil salary would be on the 4th line, which isn't in any way good use of cap space.

Could McPhee have waited until he absolutely had to make a move and gotten a better return than what he got now? Yeah maybe he could have gotten more from a team that came out slow out of the box or had already suffered an injury to a winger but that whole time the rest of the team would have known that someone was being moved and I don't think that makes for a really good team building environment. As is they have a settled roster going forward and the players can concentrate on finding their roles not wondering if they are the one being shipped out.

The risk now is that someone gets hurt in camp or early in the season and they now no longer have Fehr coming back to fill that hole.

And as far as the return goes, he is currently hurt, has a lengthy history of pretty serious injuries, and isn't expected to be ready to start the regular season so getting full value for him was never going to happen. Plus after the Belanger PR disaster last summer sending a player somewhere he clearly wanted to go is definitely going to be looked at as a good thing by the the players in the league as a whole.

I liked the player and thought he was very unfairly treated by Boudreau. I wish him well. Now who will be the next player to be Lepisto'd...?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:54 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
What actually happened with Belanger? I didn't follow the offseason closely last year.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
What actually happened with Belanger? I didn't follow the offseason closely last year.
He signed with Edmonton after playing for Phoenix after playing for us.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Basically the Caps told him they were giving him a contract for X but they needed to do something else first, he stopped looking for work, after a long while they told him he wasn't getting the contract for whatever reason, and since by that time it was really late in the game and he didn't have many options he ended up having to take a deal for a lot less than X with Phoenix.

IMO the Caps strung him along but at the same time his agent didn't do his job by letting him get strung along while also not continuing to talk to other teams until the Caps actually produced the contract.

Neither McPhee/the Caps nor his agent came out of that smelling like roses...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:27 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Basically the Caps told him they were giving him a contract for X but they needed to do something else first, he stopped looking for work, after a long while they told him he wasn't getting the contract for whatever reason, and since by that time it was really late in the game and he didn't have many options he ended up having to take a deal for a lot less than X with Phoenix.

IMO the Caps strung him along but at the same time his agent didn't do his job by letting him get strung along while also not continuing to talk to other teams until the Caps actually produced the contract.

Ewwww. At least he never looked too comfortable here to begin with.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post

The extra wrinkle in that story is that Belanger's agent was the one who spilled the beans about the potential deal with the Caps and some believe it caused McPhee (for whatever reason) to look elsewhere. Without knowing the whole story though, it didn't exactly look favorable on the organization.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:15 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
No, it's that the Caps got absolute dick in return.

They basically gave them Fehr after McPhee told us they didn't have Cap issues.

Where's the logic?

The Capitals have shuffled the **** around (outside of the goalie swap) and not addressed their core issues.

We had looming cap issues. Seeing us at the top of the geek list speaks for itself. Poti is not a write off just yet either. Alzner's agent is making him sweat. Dont listen to George and his downplaying of everything.

Most people not buying Laich at center know our top 6 is unchanged. Defense, unchanged. Varly and Fehr our playoff scratches moved. The core and captain, intact.

I am still glad George showed his balls and went out got the guys he wanted even if he is now brown capping.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:17 AM
Icetime

I would like to take this chance to say to all the Eric Fehr supporters on this board.

You was wrong.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:52 AM
meanolthing

Well the bad news is I'm pretty bummed out about this trade. The good news is, I can guilt-free buy a Jets jersey now .

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

We had looming cap issues. Seeing us at the top of the geek list speaks for itself. Poti is not a write off just yet either. Alzner's agent is making him sweat. Dont listen to George and his downplaying of everything.

Most people not buying Laich at center know our top 6 is unchanged. Defense, unchanged. Varly and Fehr our playoff scratches moved. The core and captain, intact.

I am still glad George showed his balls and went out got the guys he wanted even if he is now brown capping.

Nothing they do makes sense to me. It seems like McPhee is throwing darts at hockey cards.

Fehr is a legit 2nd line guy. If the coach doesn't like him--and Boudreau never did--then trade him 2 yrs ago and get value back. Or package him and get a real player in here.

The Laich deal is asinine. A weak 3C for mega bucks over mega years.

Vokoun, I like, but I'm pretty sure he is a decade+ older than Varly and Varly has more playoff wins already (so does Neuvy).

Lotsa losing ahead, folks. I hope they just go ahead and suck from Day 1 so maybe Ted will wake up.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 04:38 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Not surprised on the trade, feel the value was weak. I thought Fehr could fetch a 2nd.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 05:44 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I think, if he could have fetched a 2nd, he would have. What we value on HF Boards is different than being reality.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:00 AM
pgreene

fehr is a legit one trick pony. he has a zippy release and that's it. he's slow. he doesn't play good defense, can't forecheck, doesn't pass well.... matt pettinger scored 20 goals. anyone think he was a legit second line nhl player?

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:04 AM
txpd

belanger in a nutshell

*McPhee and agent agreed on terms contingent on the caps making cap space. Believed to be trading Steckel.

* Belanger on Quebec radio said he had a contract on the table and his agent confirmed it was Washington contingent on a player move.

* That information apparantly killed what McPhee was working on to move Steckel. That both killed the Belanger deal and seemed to drop the bottom out of the ufa bottom 6 center market.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Fehr is a legit 2nd line guy.
Keep telling yourself that.

Eric Fehr was drafted at #18 in the 1st round in 2003 right between Zach Parise and Ryan Getzlaf. A few picks later Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards and Corey Perry went off the board.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Fehr is a legit top twenty pick first round bust.

Not a legit 2nd line player.

Dude is terribly one dimensional and to top it off he's not even that good and the one thing he supposedly does well.

What a frustratingly soft player.

Last edited by Icetime: 07-09-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old
07-09-2011, 11:58 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel

07-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Funkyalligator

I'd never call Fehr soft or anything like that. What I would do is call him injury prone....people keep mentioning his shoulders without even talking about the severe back injuries that kept him from playing right after he was initially drafted. He lost almost two whole seasons and was never the same player since. I like fehr and hope he does well but not against us. If he can stay healthy and get back to his WHL form than the jets will be happy otherwise ...ehhh

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:41 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
i agree that fehr is not a legit 2 line player, at least not in a playoff team. 4 rounder is still bad for him, i almost want fedor back for that prize.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:50 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
I would like to take this chance to say to all the Eric Fehr supporters on this board.

You was wrong.
What does this even mean? Wrong for crediting the guy with modest accomplishments?

Eric Fehr and Semyon Varlamov weren't the reasons the Caps have been embarassed the last 3 years in the playoffs. Neither were Bradley, Gordon or Arnott. In fact, each of these players have had decent showings in the post-season.

The reasons for their fail are still on the roster. They've just put a cherry on top of a turd sundae.

Old
07-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Icetime

Quote:
What does this even mean? Wrong for crediting the guy with modest accomplishments?
Wrong for calling some of the few people around here idiots when we voiced the correct opinion that Eric Fehr stinks like over two years ago.

It was the "Fehr is still developing he's going to be amazing you're a moron for even thinking he is not a big piece of the puzzle" theory.

Old
07-09-2011, 03:29 PM
coyote

Quote:

Eric Fehr and Semyon Varlamov weren't the reasons the Caps have been embarassed the last 3 years in the playoffs. Neither were Bradley, Gordon or Arnott. In fact, each of these players have had decent showings in the post-season.

The reasons for their fail are still on the roster. They've just put a cherry on top of a turd sundae.
I got to agree but it seams when things do not go right they tinker with the bottom six. This very seldom works but all the teams do it.

coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 04:48 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
Wrong for calling some of the few people around here idiots when we voiced the correct opinion that Eric Fehr stinks like over two years ago.

It was the "Fehr is still developing he's going to be amazing you're a moron for even thinking he is not a big piece of the puzzle" theory.
I think you're talking about a perceived slight?

Fehr doesn't "stink", nor was he ever going to be "amazing". When healthy, he's a 20 goal scorer with a penchant for clutch goals.

To me, that's worth more than a ****ing 4th round pick. Particularly when you have several players who have less upside (Chimera), are albatrosses (Semin) and/or suck outright in the playoffs. (Schultz).

Old
07-09-2011, 05:34 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
I think you're talking about a perceived slight?

Fehr doesn't "stink", nor was he ever going to be "amazing". When healthy, he's a 20 goal scorer with a penchant for clutch goals.

To me, that's worth more than a ****ing 4th round pick. Particularly when you have several players who have less upside (Chimera), are albatrosses (Semin) and/or suck outright in the playoffs. (Schultz).
So you are miffed about trading a potential 20 goal scorer when he is healthy and on his game and miffed we have a potential 40 goal scorer when he is on his game still on the roster. And I thought us Redskins fans were bad.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote