Notices

Winnipeg Jets acquire Eric Fehr for Danik Paquette, 4th round pick

Old
07-08-2011, 10:45 PM
White Noise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
I just hope this trend of every player they acquire being from Winnipeg doesnt continue. I understand it being a bonus and all, but that shouldn't affect decisions in any way.
I can almost guarantee that the fans at the game will be loud and clear if one of these players starts stinkin up the place on a regular basis. Then there is the media that will be backing them up to consider as well.

-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:50 PM
saskganesh

meh. "bonuses" affect decisions. why wouldn't they? esthetics?

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Lets compare players.....

Player A-6'3 230lbs. 26 years old. 14 g, 39pts 80gp.
Player B-6'4 212lbs. 25 years old. 10g, 20pts 52gp.

Which would you rather have?
There is no way any sane hockey manager picks Anthony Stewart over Eric Fehr.

First of all when you lose and inch and gain 18 lbs you are talking a far more physically imposing player. It does make a difference.

Also, when you compare your stats you are talking the high end of Stewart vs. the low end of Fehr. Fehr has more skill and a better shot. Eric Fehr is also a home grown product, which is a very desirable quality for many teams because a player being close to home will more likely have better influences in his life.

No contest. Fehr.

07-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Fehr was a guy I wanted the Jets to look into. I'm glad the we only gave up a 4th and a prospect. I hope he can stay injury free this season, then we can see what he 's truly capable of.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Le Golie

I don't see how anyone could watch the both Eric Fehr and Anthony Stewart play the sport of hockey and come away saying Anthony Stewart is better at it than Fehr. Absurd.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:21 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Ugh, I still think it's a great trade and don't really understand the whole Stewart bickering.

I saw someone saying Stewart did more with less which is absolutely incorrect and it was in fact the other way around. Stewart was able to play the first half of the season with the likes of Kane, Antropov, and Little getting decent minutes on the 2nd line. Now I could have skated with Little and Kane on the second line and put up good numbers. Watch Stewart's goals he just goes to the net and receives excellent passes or rebounds from those linemates. His production then dropped and was then demoted to playing lower lines where his production absolutely plummeted. Fehr on the other hand constantly produced on the lower lines of the caps, receiving much lower minutes.

Just watch the goals each of those players score. Half of Stewarts goals could be scored by a giant panda with a stick and skates. He has nowhere near the sniping talent Fehr has.
Great post and exactly how I feel.

Anthony Stewart is a bottom six forward who can put up ~40 points if given top six ice time.

Eric Fehr is a top six forward who put up ~20 goals when only given bottom six ice time.

And I was a huge Stewart fan.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:01 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

good mennonite boy...will be a fan favourite in north kildonan and southern manitoba....toews and reimer would be a nice mennonite trio....LA can keep penner.

i'm all for picking up prairie boys....if this becomes a bit of a haven for players from minnesota, north dakota, manitoba, saskatchewan and northern ontario, so be it....character players make character teams.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:19 AM
razorsedge

Just checked my TSN tradecenter app on my iPod, and it still lists the team as the Thrashers. Probably waiting for tnse to release the logo.

I think we'll see the jets bring in a decent number of players born and raised in the prairie provinces.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Sunshine36616

Damn it! Now TSNE is screwing up the only hockey I have left, the Gladiators! I loved watching Paquette. Personal feelings aside...seems like a really good trade for the Jets. Paquette had a really good prospect and training camp last season. I think one of the main reasons he was in Gwinnette was because Dudley wasn't pleased with the way Chicago was developing our talent. To get an NHL player for him (and a 4th round pick) is pretty good though.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:40 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

After watching Stewart last year, I'd take Fehr, but not by a lot.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I really liked this move! Ive really liked the last few things Chevy has done. THe great Ladd contract, picking up Gregoire and now Fehr. Im gonna have to say was a bit of a skeptic at first but im starting to come around with Chevy!

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongofan1 View Post
I really liked this move! Ive really liked the last few things Chevy has done. THe great Ladd contract, picking up Gregoire and now Fehr. Im gonna have to say was a bit of a skeptic at first but im starting to come around with Chevy!
A couple of years ago, the Phoenix Coyotes spot came down to Cheveldayoff and Don Maloney. The more I get to know Cheveldayoff, the more I realise how tought that decision must have been for the Coyotes.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:24 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
A couple of years ago, the Phoenix Coyotes spot came down to Cheveldayoff and Don Maloney. The more I get to know Cheveldayoff, the more I realise how tought that decision must have been for the Coyotes.
I agree Vosie

6 times to the final and 4 championships in his run in the IHL and AHL then joins the Blackhawks and is assistant GM for their championship. I think allot of people can back into one championship if you are gifted the talent but that track record of success to me is a clear sign Kevin understands how build championship level teams consistently. It's not lucky or a fluke Kevin gets the type of pieces you need to add to the mix to win a cup. Will he be able to step up a level to the NHL and compete with the big boys and win it all? Time will tell but in my humble opinion we got the right guy for our organization.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:33 PM
AndersUlfBobby
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
Damn it! Now TSNE is screwing up the only hockey I have left, the Gladiators! I loved watching Paquette. Personal feelings aside...seems like a really good trade for the Jets. Paquette had a really good prospect and training camp last season. I think one of the main reasons he was in Gwinnette was because Dudley wasn't pleased with the way Chicago was developing our talent. To get an NHL player for him (and a 4th round pick) is pretty good though.
You're screwed anyway you look at it. Corect me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Jets have a working agreement with Gwinnette anymore anyways. And even if they retain that agreement, then most of their minor league prospects will be playing in St. John's next year anyways because they need to fill a whole team rather than just part of the Wolves.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
You're screwed anyway you look at it. Corect me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Jets have a working agreement with Gwinnette anymore anyways. And even if they retain that agreement, then most of their minor league prospects will be playing in St. John's next year anyways because they need to fill a whole team rather than just part of the Wolves.
You have made a very interesting point here, and perhaps missed by some.

Because this franchise now has its own, single team AHL affiliate, it has lots of roster positions to fill. When people groan because we signed another Meech or McArdle, they have to realize we are building 2 teams.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Noeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
good mennonite boy...will be a fan favourite in north kildonan and southern manitoba....toews and reimer would be a nice mennonite trio....LA can keep penner.

i'm all for picking up prairie boys....if this becomes a bit of a haven for players from minnesota, north dakota, manitoba, saskatchewan and northern ontario, so be it....character players make character teams.
Agreed pretty much 100%.

Also, to the poster who said Winkler is 1:45 from Winnipeg, you must be from the colony and driving a horse and buggy into the City. I don't think it ever took me an hour and a half to get from town into CanadInns for a Bomber game. Just sayin'...

Fwiw, when I was working at the Winkler radio station, we did a fair (Fehr?) bit of work with EF and he was a class act every time. Not necessarily the case with Dustin Penner, but Fehr (...and, incidentally, Brent Krahn) was always a pleasure. Good hockey player, great person. Love to have him on the club! I officially know who my first "New Jets" jersey is gonna be...

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:47 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Winkler has always been exactly around an hour and a half way for me..

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:16 PM
AndersUlfBobby
All Systems Go

Google Maps directions from the intersection of Perimeter @ Oak Bluff to Winkler via highway 3 & 14 says 104 km taking 1 hour 19 minutes. Of course that doesn't include the time to stop at Syl's in Carman on the way there.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 07-09-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added comment about stoping at Syl's
AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:10 PM
phamJET

Checking out some of fehr highlights, the guy as an amazing shot. Give him more icetime will lead to more shots, which wil lead to higher probability of goals.

Put fehr with skilled play makers and he could hit +30 goals.

phamJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
RumTumTuggernuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeller View Post
Agreed pretty much 100%.

Also, to the poster who said Winkler is 1:45 from Winnipeg, you must be from the colony and driving a horse and buggy into the City. I don't think it ever took me an hour and a half to get from town into CanadInns for a Bomber game. Just sayin'...

Fwiw, when I was working at the Winkler radio station, we did a fair (Fehr?) bit of work with EF and he was a class act every time. Not necessarily the case with Dustin Penner, but Fehr (...and, incidentally, Brent Krahn) was always a pleasure. Good hockey player, great person. Love to have him on the club! I officially know who my first "New Jets" jersey is gonna be...
Which radio station, and when? I worked at CKMW from 04-06.

RumTumTuggernuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
posters on the washington forum like Fehr but say that he had to go due to his constant injuries. sounds like he might be a 2nd line forward for us if healthy

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
Good interview with Fehr...

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...12_140842_5172

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
SaskaToba

vCash: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
After listening to that interview I just want to strangle Gord Stellick, it Fehr (Fair) not, pronounced like Donald Fehr (Fear), Gord we're Mennonites not Americans!

SaskaToba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:35 PM
jetkarma

Really good article by Paul Friesen.

This potentially is a great trade , it really is.... however we can not dismiss the damaged goods scenario either.

No way we get Fehr for what we did if he hasn't had 3 significant shoulder injuries , let alone the back one.

Still , I like the risk reward , and I sense some real cameraderie being developed here , which is hugely important to a team's success.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/12...ing-ladds-lead

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
You have made a very interesting point here, and perhaps missed by some.

Because this franchise now has its own, single team AHL affiliate, it has lots of roster positions to fill. When people groan because we signed another Meech or McArdle, they have to realize we are building 2 teams.
Double Damn it! Good point. That means I more than likely won't be seeing Carrozzi, Pasquale or Forney next season either.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote