HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ennis is undervalued

Old
07-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Evgeni Giroux

vCash: 500
Ennis is undervalued

Why is ennis in every trade proposal? alot of people around here really undervalue him and I find it rediculis some of the proposals you guys put him in.

Ennis is going to be a PPG player in this league and will no doubt be a first line player. He is a player you build your team around and not trade for a #2 centre (Pavelsky, Stastny).

and on another note the Sabres do not need a so called #1 centre, they are a team built with great goaltending, great defence, and very good wings.

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972sabres View Post
Why is ennis in every trade proposal? alot of people around here really undervalue him and I find it rediculis some of the proposals you guys put him in.

Ennis is going to be a PPG player in this league and will no doubt be a first line player. He is a player you build your team around and not trade for a #2 centre (Pavelsky, Stastny).

and on another note the Sabres do not need a so called #1 centre, they are a team built with great goaltending, great defence, and very good wings.
And it's won them sooo many Stanley Cups.

Without a standout #1 and complementary #2 center, you wont find many Stanley Cup champions in the last 15ish years.

Ennis is in trade proposals because of his value, both salary and skill wise.
B-Lo is stocked on wings, when you deal for a position of weakness, you give up assets of your strength (wings).

It really isnt that hard to comprehend.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:18 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

100% of internet trade proposals aren't worth wasting mental energy complaining about.

If Ennis is ever moved, it won't be part of any idea you find on a forum. So relax!

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
Quote:

If I can swap Ennis + for Stasny, I do it every day of the week.

Ron C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
And it's won them sooo many Stanley Cups.

Without a standout #1 and complementary #2 center, you wont find many Stanley Cup champions in the last 15ish years.

Ennis is in trade proposals because of his value, both salary and skill wise.
B-Lo is stocked on wings, when you deal for a position of weakness, you give up assets of your strength (wings).

It really isnt that hard to comprehend.
I am sure Boston just won without a true so called #1 centre.. you need depth at center but you don't need a true #1 center

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
As opposed the proposals where people try to package up our garbage for other teams good players?

Ennis is in trade proposals because he has value - so I think you've got it backwards.

Quote:
I am sure Boston just won without a true so called #1 centre.. you need depth at center but you don't need a true #1 center
Well, we don't have depth either, with exactly one top six center on the team. So if moving Ennis gets us another top six center (whether it's a #1 or #2) , it would be a smart move. Ennis for Stastny? Why would we not do that deal? That'd be an absolute steal, and at least on paper, we'd be one of the best teams in the East.

Last edited by jlr: 07-08-2011 at 05:37 PM.
jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Thanks for reading my post where I said you wont find many... I am aware that Savard was shelved and not playing....

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:55 PM
joshjull

I think it's the opposite if they feel he can be used to get a #1 center.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:57 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
Thanks for reading my post where I said you wont find many... I am aware that Savard was shelved and not playing....
And I really don't get the comparisons to Boston, and how they allegedly don't have a #1 center - and implying that their situation somehow justifies us standing pat with what we have. Savard is (was?) a clearcut #1, good for 20+ more points a year than our supposed #1, but was out injured. Not a problem for Boston, as they have the depth so that their next 2 centers are at about Roy's level.

Meanwhile in Buffalo, when Roy goes down, we're stuck with Tiny Tim, wingers playing out of position (Hecht, Boyes), and bottom six centers (Gaustad).

Even if Leino works out as a top six center - probably a long shot - we're still short one. Maybe Adam earns a spot on the third line and could fill in. But after Roy, it's all up in the air at this point. Hell, even Roy isn't exactly a known quantity this year, coming back from his injury.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:08 PM
OcAirlines

A lot of the arguments made in the opening post are pretty, well... silly, but i agree that some people really seem to undervalue Ennis. He is in trade proposals for 65-point players just one year away from Free Agency and when the trade is for a bigger player, he seems to be more like a throw-in.
I don't know why people undervalue Ennis that much. Is it because some of them had crazy expectation last summer, thought he would score 70-80 points in his rookie-season and are now disappointed because he just had a "normal" first year?

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think it's the opposite if they feel he can be used to get a #1 center.
Right. It's not about giving up on him, or trading him for scrubs...the ONLY time Ennis's name comes up if trading for a big fish--precisely because we understand he has tons of value and he's the guy other teams would ask for.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
He's undervalued in the sense that he's invariably packaged in those proposals with two of the following four assets: 2012 1st, Kassian, Adam, Sekera. And it's almost always an overpayment. People recognize that he has value because of his age, price, and production, but they underestimate just how much value he has given those things and his top-end abilities. The main thing is that Regier recognizes his value, so we won't be seeing stupidity like Ennis + Adam + 1st for Stastny.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
SoFFacet

To some people it doesn't even matter what else you have on your roster, if you don't have a superstar center you don't have a chance. All assets are expendable for any degree of overpayment if it means acquiring one. Ennis is seen as our most valuable trading chip in our quest to make such an overpayment.

SoFFacet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Right. It's not about giving up on him, or trading him for scrubs...the ONLY time Ennis's name comes up if trading for a big fish--precisely because we understand he has tons of value and he's the guy other teams would ask for.
To be honest, people have made some awful proposals involving Ennis for borderline #2 centers. If they trade Ennis it needs to be in a package for a guy who at least has the potential to be a very good #1.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Clock

You're going to drive yourself insane if you take all of the threads in the trade forum too seriously.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:29 AM
joshjull

I went and looked up playoff production of our forwards and focused specifically on ES playoff production. I started a thread on it. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=947873

I always felt Ennis was good at ES but was a tad surprised to see how good he was and how consistant.

He was tied for the ES points lead both seasons with 4pts each year(tied with Pommer last season and Nieds this year). His ES ppg of .62 is better by a decent margin than any other forwards in the last two years.

Thats not a player I would be in a rush to get rid of even for a center.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Selanne00008

I wouldnt trade Ennis for Stastny. His age, RFA/contract staus alone make him more valuable. Ennis is 4 years younger.

To the OP, don't worry, Ennis is going ANYwhere, trust me. The only kind of center that would come back for Ennis would be one in the same age/contract status... Think Skinner. So yeah, not happening.

Selanne00008 is online now   Reply With Quote