HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Season's Roster (All Trade, UFA Signing and Re-Signing Discussion) Part V

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Le Rosbeef

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
I do love the prospect of Ginner - Des - ? on the 4th line. I'm just a bit worried that there is too much inexperience there, and would love to get Madden on a one year contract for PKing and helping that 4th line.
Agreed - Madden would be a good one. A lot of things to like if the legs are still working well enough

Old
07-10-2011, 08:39 AM
The Architect
Formerly BrianSmith

Possible Lineup:
Sign Lauri Korpikoski for 2.1mil/year. If that isn't possible, I would suggest making a move for Frolov for one year at anywhere between 2-2.8mil.

Sign Madden for his Pking and FO's for the 4th line. Having him play true 4th line minutes should help him with his age.

Trade for Neil to shore up the grinding factor, muscle, and add a bit of nastiness to our lineup. I love that he also is one of the few heavyweights who can and does play in the playoffs. The guy knows his role. I do NOT like that he would be signed at 2mil for this and next year.

Top 2 Lines are what they are - some combo of:
PM - JT - Pavs/Couture/Havlat
Clowe - Pavs/Couture - Havlat/Pavs/Couture

Bottom lines:
3rd line is defensively responsible (especially if it is Korpi over Frolov), and has scoring pop.
4th line has bangers in Ginner and Neil, and experience in Madden. For those worried about his durability, Des is there to learn/step in.

PKers (in no particular order) - Madden, Mitchell, Pavs, PM, Couture, JT, Korpi

This is a team I'd go all in with, which looks like that is exactly what we are doing this year. It also gives us adequate space to sign Couture/Burns next year with Nitty coming off the books, the increase in cap space, and Madden coming off the books along with Vand. It will be tight, but it is doable for those critical resignings.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Lauri Korpikoski ($2.100m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.680m) / John Madden ($1.250m) / Chris Neil ($2.000m)
/ Andrew Desjardins ($0.540m)

DEFENSEMEN
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Dan Boyle ($6.666m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($3.550m)
Jim Vandermeer ($1.000m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Justin Braun ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Antero Niittymaki ($2.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,945,001; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,354,999

Old
07-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Chris Neil is one of my favorite grinders. I'd love him in teal.

Old
07-10-2011, 10:52 AM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
i had no idea frolov was available. what happened? 2 years ago most of the board thought frolov for marleau was a fair trade, as bith were good 2 way players with skill

Old
07-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Huang View Post
i had no idea frolov was available. what happened? 2 years ago most of the board thought frolov for marleau was a fair trade, as bith were good 2 way players with skill
He kind of bombed out in New York.

Old
07-10-2011, 11:30 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

We need one more 3rd line winger with some PK skills and we're set.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Havlat ($5.000m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m)
Michal Handzus ($2.500m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m) / Jason Chimera ($1.875m)
Benn Ferriero ($0.605m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.540m) / Jamie McGinn ($0.680m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($3.550m)
Jason Demers ($1.250m) / Jim Vandermeer ($1.000m)
Justin Braun ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Antero Niittymaki ($2.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,075,001; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,224,999

Old
07-10-2011, 11:45 AM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
He suffered a season-ending injury in January. He was pretty bad last year, and he probably would have been a healthy scratch eventually if he didn't get hurt.

Old
07-10-2011, 12:07 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNK View Post
Chris Neil is one of my favorite grinders. I'd love him in teal.
Me as well. He can reallt get under the opponents skin too, and hits like a truck. Great 4th liner, who dare i say it could play 3rd line if someone gets hurt.

Old
07-10-2011, 12:24 PM
fr4ed2384

Frolov tore an ACL in Jan after 1/2 season with NYR.. HAd surgery in Jan ..
his contract with NYR was for 1 yr .. and he was effectively playing on the 3rd and 4th lines

supposedly he has signed in Russia KLH --don't know whether there is an out clause in the contract .
But based on his play last year and the injury he is a big risk and probably not worthit and he does not play on the PK

Old
07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
SharksAddict

Quote:
He signed in the KHL I believe. Check the overseas thread on the Rumors board.

Old
07-10-2011, 04:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1891
Rissmiller was signed, goddamnit!!!

Old
07-10-2011, 08:05 PM
The Architect
Formerly BrianSmith

Sorry I didn't realize that Frolov had singed, or that he had such a serious injury. Out of all the teams, I really do not follow the Rangers that much for some reason.

I really think this team needs a third line who can score ala last year's 3rd line. We aren't good enough defensively or in goal to play the Bruin's/Nashville style of play.

Ironically, Nemo won with a team that was good/great defensively, but ultimately with one that was so deep the 3rd line often was the difference maker.

I want that 3rd line that can be a difference maker, not one that just cycles endlessly.

Old
07-10-2011, 08:07 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Rissmiller was signed, goddamnit!!!
To???

Old
07-10-2011, 08:07 PM
SharksAddict

Quote:
I really think this team needs a third line who can score ala last year's 3rd line. We aren't good enough defensively or in goal to play the Bruin's/Nashville style of play.
Don't need to with the explosive offensive talent in the top 6 and d-core.

You'll be hard pressed to find many teams with as much offensive talent as the Sharks.

Old
07-10-2011, 08:11 PM
TheProfessor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post

You'll be hard pressed to find many teams with as much offensive talent as the Sharks.
I don't want to be hard pressed, I want for it to be impossible. The only teams that are worth comparing ourselves to in the West are Chicago, Vancouver, and LA.

Neither our top 6 or top 4 is a clear winner in terms of offensive talent compared to those.

Old
07-10-2011, 08:11 PM
The Architect
Formerly BrianSmith

Quote:

I disagree. Things we need to win the cup:
Good Goaltending: check
Good Defense: check
Good top 6: check
Depth: nope
Speed: nope
Good PK: nope (not yet at least)

We are still some moves away from me feeling confident about us being the best we can be.

Old
07-10-2011, 08:22 PM
SJSharks2010

Too many posts to quote, but to add to my opinion of Welwwod, he's too soft to be good defensively. If you can't block shots, fight in corners, clear the puck then you suc defensively. Sure he is aware and gets his stick in the passing lanes, but that's only a part of it. Overall his defensive game is bad.

Kaberle is a good comparison. Sure he's good positionally, but that's it. He's complete garbage in his own zone. Mind you he's a dman so it's different, but you get my point.

Old
07-10-2011, 08:32 PM
D Huang

Send a message via AIM to D Huang
Quote:
Sorry I didn't realize that Frolov had singed, or that he had such a serious injury. Out of all the teams, I really do not follow the Rangers that much for some reason.

Ironically, Nemo won with a team that was good/great defensively, but ultimately with one that was so deep the 3rd line often was the difference maker.

I want that 3rd line that can be a difference maker, not one that just cycles endlessly.
We don't need to be the Blackhawks or Bruins, we are the Sharks. Our system and our team is obviously capable of going all the way, we've just been missing a piece here and there throughout the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor1 View Post
I don't want to be hard pressed, I want for it to be impossible. The only teams that are worth comparing ourselves to in the West are Chicago, Vancouver, and LA.

Neither our top 6 or top 4 is a clear winner in terms of offensive talent compared to those.
You've assigned the GM an impossible task and given yourself outlandish expectations

Old
07-10-2011, 08:34 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
I disagree. Things we need to win the cup:
Good Goaltending: check
Good Defense: check
Good top 6: check
Depth: nope
Speed: nope
Good PK: nope (not yet at least)

We are still some moves away from me feeling confident about us being the best we can be.
Our speed has been addressed for the most part. Could we use another speedy forward who can PK? Sure! Are we guaranteed to get one? No.

Old
07-10-2011, 08:46 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

I strongly disagree. Even with Burns, the blueline is geared to offense, not defense. None of Vlasic, Burns, and Murray are elite shutdown dmen. Niemi is in the middle tier of starting goalies. He isn't top 3 or top 5.

Elite offensive teams are putting up >270 goals, elite defensive teams are giving up ~190 goals. The Sharks are in neither category. I'll give an optimistic break down of anticipated goals by line and by defense, skipping the third line. 1st - 90 goals, 2nd - 90 goals, defense 45 goals, 4th line 10 goals. That's 235. That leaves 35 to be scored by the third line and heaven forbid that my optimism is disappointed. 35 goals for the third line is 12 each. I can see Handzus getting 12, but good luck with Mitchell or another defensive forward.

IMO, it is easier to get to the 270 level with the right mix than it is for the Sharks to improve their defense/goaltending to get into the 190 range.

Old
07-10-2011, 08:47 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor1 View Post

Oh now that we are on the topic unrealistic expectations, I DEMAND that our team have crosby, ovech, dats, weber, pronger, chara, doughty, getzlaf, perry, and kesler on it. epic failure on DW for not meeting this!

good grief, no team will ever be clear cut winners in talent unless they tank 4 years in a row and have an incredible line of ELC contracts. our talent level is w/o a doubt comparable to any top team in the league right now, so we'll see what actually happens during the season and playoffs. hint: every team right now has a hole or two, including the vancouvers (2nd line scoring), the LAs (high end wings), and chicago (overall 3rd/4th line and 4-6 defense).

Old
07-10-2011, 09:07 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
Oh now that we are on the topic unrealistic expectations, I DEMAND that our team have crosby, ovech, dats, weber, pronger, chara, doughty, getzlaf, perry, and kesler on it. epic failure on DW for not meeting this!

good grief, no team will ever be clear cut winners in talent unless they tank 4 years in a row and have an incredible line of ELC contracts. our talent level is w/o a doubt comparable to any top team in the league right now, so we'll see what actually happens during the season and playoffs. hint: every team right now has a hole or two, including the vancouvers (2nd line scoring), the LAs (high end wings), and chicago (overall 3rd/4th line and 4-6 defense).
Forget high end wings, they lack any decent wings period. LA is a better team now, but I'm still not worried about them. They're very overrated imo.

Old
07-10-2011, 09:33 PM
TheProfessor1

Quote:
You've assigned the GM an impossible task and given yourself outlandish expectations
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post

Sorry you must of misunderstood. Obviously it is unreasonable to consider not having the best all around team on paper a failure. I simply am saying that Doug Wilson's goal should always be that, and that I don't really care if our team can beat non-playoff teams 7 -0 if it doesn't match up well against the other serious contenders. And right now I don't think we have the speed to keep up with Vancouver/Chicago or the defensive prowess to sit back and out grind them. Therefore, Doug Wilson should always be looking for those additional moves that put us over the top, especially this year when we have ample cap and roster space to do it.

Last edited by TheProfessor1: 07-10-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old
07-10-2011, 09:34 PM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
Forget high end wings, they lack any decent wings period. LA is a better team now, but I'm still not worried about them. They're very overrated imo.
I dont think LA is a better team now

Marleau-Thornton-Havlat
Couture-Pavelski-Clowe

vs

Gagne-Kopitar-Williams
Penner-Richards-Brown

We have a much better top 6

Vlasic-Burns
Murray-Boyle
Vandermeer-Demers

vs

Scuderi-Doughty
Johnson-Mitchell
Greene-Drewiski

This is really close, but imo the sharks have a better defense.

Niemi>Quick

The only thing that LA has on us is a much better bottom six.

Old
07-10-2011, 09:44 PM
couturefan39

Sharks are a better team than the Kings.

Period.

Closed Thread