HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #13

View Poll Results: Who is the #13 Rangers prospect?
Steven Fogarty 10 13.16%
Ryan Bourque 32 42.11%
Michael St. Croix 1 1.32%
Dale Weise 8 10.53%
Shane McColgan 1 1.32%
Andrew Yogan 24 31.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Rangers Prospect Poll: #13

Tomas Kundratek won more than half of the vote in round 12. Dale Weise won the right to be added. Will be a big season for him where he'll either move significantly up in the rankings or drop off completely.

Don't forget to write-in who should be added in the next round. Also would be good to include a discussion/argument on why you voted for a particular prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. D Ryan McDonagh
3. D Tim Erixon
4. RW Christian Thomas
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. RW Mats Zuccarello
7. LW J.T. Miller
8. LW Carl Hagelin
9. RW Jesper Fasth
10. D Pavel Valentenko

SECOND-TIER PROSPECTS

11. C Oscar Lindberg
12. D Tomas Kundratek

Tomas Kundratek
Defense
Born Dec 26 1989 -- Prerov, Czech Rep.
Height 6.02 -- Weight 192 -- Shoots R

2010-11 Hartford Wolf Pack/CT Whale AHL 70 2 10 12 42

""He's a good skater with good mobility who moves the puck well and has a good shot from the point. He has a pretty good all-around game. I think Tomas has a chance to be a solid defenseman in the NHL. He'll be more of a defensive shutdown guy. I think his skating will allow him to defend against the rush, and he's got enough size and strength to be able to play well defensively in his end. He's someone that's going to make a good first pass out of his zone and be able to defend effectively."
- Ernie Gare, a Rangers amateur scout who focuses on Western Canada and the U.S.

"He's gotten better and improved as a prospect because he played those two years in Medicine Hat. Our game is more North-South than East-West, and more physical. And this guy learned how to battle for pucks."
- Gordie Clark

"He makes that good first pass, but the timing of jumping into the play and creating the offense at the pro level is something he's been working on. I know he wants to get some numbers and be more of an offensive guy, and I would say based on his season and the fact that it won't be a new thing to him next year, you would expect some more offense out of him because I think he's trying to round out his game... He's a very good competitor and he always plays the body and blocks shots. He does all the little things that help teams win... He surprised a lot of people with how physical he played last season.”
- Jeff Gorton, Assistant GM.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

C STEVEN FOGARTY

Gritty forward who bullies his way around the net and near the boards. Scores predominantly garbage goals.

"underrated...one most natural passers... we wanted him"
-Gordie Clark

LW RYAN BOURQUE

A little ball of fire. Personally I would describe him as a smaller version of Callahan.

"He's capable of scoring and capable of making a play, but he's also very capable of making sure that the other team does not score... He's out there the last two minutes if you're down a goal or you are up a goal."
-Gordie Clark in 2010.

"He gets the puck first and evades the other team's defense and gets it to the guys that do the damage on the power play. He also plays that role of having to stop a team from scoring. That's the training he needed, and he's ready to take those skills and play against men now."
- Gordie Clark in 2011.

"I'm a player that works really hard and would do anything it takes to get to the ultimate goal that he's trying to reach."
- Ryan Bourque

"Ryan's a very serious kid, and probably the two biggest reasons we took him are because he's got the huge heart and he can really skate," said Jeff Gorton.

C MICHAEL ST. CROIX

A talented small guy who is high risk, high reward, exactly the kind of player I have been advocating that we draft.

"His statistics and achievements speak for themselves, but the essence to St. Croix’s unique game is his style of play. A playmaker and goal-scorer, he believes a big part of his game involves his vision, which contributes to his impressive offensive abilities. St. Croix is able to set up plays and get passes through the narrowest of lanes, but most importantly he positions himself perfectly to finish the play. At the same time, his vision grants him the confidence to get fancy with the puck and put on a show."
- The Hockey News

RW DALE WEISE

Tied for AHL lead in shorthanded goals, energy player who has been compared to Callahan by the Rangers.

"He's very underrated as a goal-scorer, so I would have expected close to 20 in his first year, and I'm not at all surprised he got this many (28) in his second year. I think this is a big off-season for him in getting himself prepared to take a run at a position on the Rangers. He had a great year for us in Hartford... He's got a combination of size and skating. The thing we licked about him in juniors was his penchant for finishing checks. He still does and can pop anybody. He plays an all-around game and plays in all positions."
- Gordie Clark.

"I do have some skill, too. I'm not a guy that just fights and mucks. I think I can score, and eventually someday, I can probably score 20 goals in the NHL."
- Dale Weise.

RW SHANE MCCOLGAN

Just like St. Croix in that he's a talented small kid. Finished as the runner-up to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as the WHL top rookie in 2009-10 after posting 25 goals and 69 points in 71 games.

"McColgan sees the ice well, has great hands, and definitely isn’t afraid to go to the dirty areas. The big question on everyone’s mind is whether or not he will be able to play his style at the pro level. The 5-9 McColgan hasn’t let his size hold him back yet, as he has proven a willingness to battle with any player in the WHL while generally staying healthy. If he can get his game to the next level, he could be a big draft day steal."
- TheScoutingReport.org

"Plays fearlessly as a Kelowna Rocket with a great speed/skill ratio puck and does so at top end speed, maybe faster than anyone in this draft class. Has a nice snap shot, and passes well, but what sets him apart is the quick first step and the gears. Not big, and needs heaps of weight-room strength. Never the less, he brings all he does have in the attack zone.
- Bill Placzek

C ANDREW YOGAN

Great size and physical with terrific hands and shot for a guy this big, but not great on defense and has poor hockey sense. Very raw, especially because of his injuries and subpar work ethic, but excellent potential as a tough guy who can also score.

"Yogan is another player with first round skills that will likely slip a bit in the draft. He’s a great skater for his size and has good offensive tools, although his finish is questionable. The main factor that will dog his draft stock is his lack of hockey sense and inability to effectively use his teammates."
- TheScoutingReport.org

"Andrew is a big, skilled power forward with soft hands and a great shot."
- Erie Otters head coach Robbie Ftorek

Last edited by Beacon: 07-12-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old
07-11-2011, 11:56 PM
darko

Yogan

add Pashnin

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Choosing Steve Fogarty because I believe in Gordie Clark. He said Fogarty deserves to be a second rounder, maybe an early second rounder, so that seems like a huge endorsement from a great scout.

Add Mike Pashnin. I am not necessarily sold on him, but he's gotten good reviews in several training camps and considering how late we are in the count, I think he deserves to be there. I definitely think he deserves one of the top 20 spots in our rankings, and we are already at #13 with him not even in the poll.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:13 AM
mrjimmyg89
16 wins to go

I'm going with Bourque on this one. I'd say putting up a PPG in the Q isn't as impressive as the other leagues, but it is still a PPG. I see him being a Tim Kennedy type. I just hope he is given a shot to be on this team at some point, because he has the work ethic, skill, and can be used in defensive situations.

Not sure on who to add. I'd say Pashnin based on what others are saying. What happened to Jyri Niemi? How come he isn't in consideration for this list yet?

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:34 AM
NYRSchrute217

Bourque..

Add Pashnin. Then Audy-Marshassault

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Bourque..

Add Pashnin. Then Audy-Marshassault

I asked before if JAM should be counted as a prospect since he was only signed by Hartford and not by the Rangers, and Emma Royd said he shouldn't count.

If Jam is in, I want him in the poll immediately. The kid is a tremendous offensive talent and should definitely be up there.

Also, why no love for Noreau? He was drafted the same round as McColgan so obviously the Rangers must've thought he was quality.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:54 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I asked before if JAM should be counted as a prospect since he was only signed by Hartford and not by the Rangers, and Emma Royd said he shouldn't count.

If Jam is in, I want him in the poll immediately. The kid is a tremendous offensive talent and should definitely be up there.

Also, why no love for Noreau? He was drafted the same round as McColgan so obviously the Rangers must've thought he was quality.
Didn't Wiikman count a few years ago when he only had an AHL contract?

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Didn't Wiikman count a few years ago when he only had an AHL contract?

Personally, I would definitely count Jam. I will put him as an "additional honorable mention" if he doesn't count because he definitely should be on our prospect list in one form or another.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:21 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Why are we all so high on this kid?

I think someone like Chad Kolarik should be considered much better.

edit- the thought process being Kolarik being somebody who ripped up college and now rips up the AHL, while JAM went undrafted, is smaller, and hasn't stepped foot in the AHL yet.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 07-12-2011 at 01:28 AM.
BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Why are we all so high on this kid?

I think someone like Chad Kolarik should be considered much better.

Kolarik will be almost 26 by the time the season begin. To me, he's what Gernander used to be at the same age: a very good AHLer who is just a little below the level needed to reach the NHL. At 25.5 years of age, do you really see him significantly improving? The guy is actually a little older than Wolski, and WW needs only (comparatively) minor improvement to become a top-6 forward in that he just needs to become more consistent, whereas Kolark needs to take a very large step forward to even be considered for an NHL spot.

Meanwhile Jonathan Audy-Marshassault had almost 100 points in juniors and almost 2 points per game in the playoffs. The two are almost exactly 5 years apart. He's a talented player who puts up very significant offensive numbers and at the age of 20 has time to keep improving.

And plus, Audy-Marshassault got Jam.

Last edited by Beacon: 07-12-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old
07-12-2011, 02:04 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Bourque

add Crashin' Pashnin

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:22 AM
eco's bones

Yogan. Pashnin.

On JAM. We've always excluded AHL signings in the past. They're still free agents who can sign on with any other organization that comes along. We don't really control their rights.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Yogan. Pashnin.

On JAM. We've always excluded AHL signings in the past. They're still free agents who can sign on with any other organization that comes along. We don't really control their rights.

Let's hope that changes midway through the season after Jam will (hopefully) prove himself worthy of an NHL contract. We gave a contract to the 25 year old Tommy Grant who spent his career in the lower minor leagues. I would much rather Jam have that contract.

Old
07-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 50
Bourque. Add Pash

Net Front Presence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:

Don't be fooled by JAM's overage junior scoring numbers. Most 20 year olds dominate in juniors. It happens every year that we drool over someone's overage stats & it's almost always misleading. If you want to evaluate a junior player statwise, look at his stats as an 18 year old and his development right after his draft year. Those stats are the most telling for an offensive player. It was a good signing, though... I'm rooting for him.

I agree with you about Noreau though... very young & already one of the best fighters in junior hockey. He's not just a big, tough kid -- his fighting skills are those of a NHL veteran. You'd think you were watching Dave Brown when you watch him fight. But just as importantly, his 5 goals as a 17 year old defenseman are a sign that he might be more than just a pure goon.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Let's hope that changes midway through the season after Jam will (hopefully) prove himself worthy of an NHL contract. We gave a contract to the 25 year old Tommy Grant who spent his career in the lower minor leagues. I would much rather Jam have that contract.
I didn't understand the Tommy Grant contract either, unless he's some defensive whiz a la Jed Ortmeyer. But he was an older college player. He hasn't played in the lower minor leagues.

Old
07-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Jxmarts

I voted for Yogan because despite his lost injury plagued year last season, he does have "Ryan Malone" power forward type potential. He'll have to prove it though.

I don't think Ryan Bourque has dominated juniors as much as he should have to show he can overcome his size issues as a pro. Is there any reason to think he will turn out better than his brother, Chris?

Add Jason Wilson... a bigger Prust, possibly.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:07 AM
NYR Viper

Bourque. Add Jason Wilson

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Alien Valuating

I really can't understand Bourque over Yogan at this point.

Add Pashnin.

Alien Valuating is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:04 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
If we had Wiikman in the poll while he was on an AHL contract, that was a mistake. JAM is technically not our property, so he really shouldn't be eligible for this.

That said, we don't have to go by HF standards for any of this. We always do as to avoid confusion and conflict, but if everyone wants JAM on the list, I guess it's fine. I don't think it really makes sense, but it's fine.

EDIT: Just as an example, what if we allowed Brendan Shinnimin on the list last season? I'm positive people would have voted for him towards the later stages. He had no professional contract, so his only affiliation to us was his Traverse City participation. In reality, JAM can't be considered our property any more than Shinnimin.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:15 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Weise

Add Wilson

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
If we don't own the rights to a player, its very tricky to consider them "our prospect". They are more like the league's prospect f or the first NHL team willing to give them an NHL deal. (Brandon Manning)

07-12-2011, 09:14 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Choosing Steve Fogarty because I believe in Gordie Clark. He said Fogarty deserves to be a second rounder, maybe an early second rounder, so that seems like a huge endorsement from a great scout.

Add Mike Pashnin. I am not necessarily sold on him, but he's gotten good reviews in several training camps and considering how late we are in the count, I think he deserves to be there. I definitely think he deserves one of the top 20 spots in our rankings, and we are already at #13 with him not even in the poll.
Yogan. He was thought of as a potential first round pick going into his draft year and disappointed. Then we find out he was injured - that might actually be a GOOD thing in that the injury may be what caused him to slip rather than "hockey sense" or "work ethic" issues. Certainly his performances in the limited playing time since coming back from the injuries (AHL playoffs and rookie camp) has raised eyebrows. Fogarty is definitely next for me though.

Add Parlett.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Same two guys I voted for in #12- Yogan, Add Pashnin.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote