HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Love for Nashville from Versus

Old
08-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

vCash: 500
No Love for Nashville from Versus

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=72806

You'd think that with all the hoopla about our barn and how exciting the games were last spring that the NHL might want to showcase Bridgestone Arena...but no.

At least we do have 2 away games--which will probably end up violating some sort of broadcast rule and won't be shown here.

For the record, these teams also have no home games on Versus: Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, NYI, Ottawa and San Jose.

(Sorry, didn't see this on the Around the NHL thread til just now. Mods delete if necessary.)

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post

You'd think that with all the hoopla about our barn and how exciting the games were last spring that the NHL might want to showcase Bridgestone Arena...but no.

At least we do have 2 away games--which will probably end up violating some sort of broadcast rule and won't be shown here.

For the record, these teams also have no home games on Versus: Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, NYI, Ottawa and San Jose.
The list for NHLNW-US is even worse.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:44 PM
preds1

vCash: 605
Shocker....

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Well, fine. The less we're seen, the better we do. We don't need national coverage, we need to sneak up on the others as usual.

Old
08-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
Shocker....
beat me.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 04:48 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

good. the less people know about us, the more shocked they will be when they see us

token grinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 09:39 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Well, fine. The less we're seen, the better we do. We don't need national coverage, we need to sneak up on the others as usual.
I think that was part of our problem in round 2. I think we were awed by the national coverage and we couldn't win at home because they weren't used to 10 to 20 reporters coming up to them and asking questions they are used maybe 2 on a good day asking questions

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:21 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I think that was part of our problem in round 2. I think we were awed by the national coverage and we couldn't win at home because they weren't used to 10 to 20 reporters coming up to them and asking questions they are used maybe 2 on a good day asking questions
we couldn't win at home because Luongo and Kesler kept diving - and getting away with it. That game 3 was the worst officiating I'd ever seen
1st period- Luongo fakes getting high sticked
over time- Kesler tucks Weber's stick in his armit and Weber gets the gate.
Figures the Canucks had to resort to cheating to beat us. Had the refs called the series fair I have no doubt the Preds would have won the Cup.
We're on par if not better than the Sharks- win in 5 games
The finals against Boston becomes a chess match

Oh well at least I got to laugh at the Canucks poor defensive game in the finals. Their misery was my sweet revenge

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan View Post
we couldn't win at home because Luongo and Kesler kept diving - and getting away with it. That game 3 was the worst officiating I'd ever seen
Figures the Canucks had to resort to cheating to beat us. Had the refs called the series fair I have no doubt the Preds would have won the Cup.

Oh well at least I got to laugh at the Canucks poor defensive game in the finals. Their misery was my sweet revenge
I love the optimism, but realistically, Vancouver is the better team. I also don't believe we'd have beaten the Sharks either. They are our Achilles heal. I think we could have beaten the Bruins though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 10:45 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan View Post

I'm not saying that was the only reason we lost but we tend to get awe struck by national spot light ....and by the way i agree with your assesment that was one of the worst officiating games. That series was so close that the powers that be wasn't going to let little ole nashville beat the almighty Canucks because if we would have won game 3 the series would have been a whole lot different. Far as winning the Cup I don't know that is a lot of ifs

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:23 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I love the optimism, but realistically, Vancouver is the better team.
But the better team doesn't always win. Look at the Eastern Conference two years ago. 7 and 8 seeds in the Conference Finals. Or just look at the Capitals.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
But the better team doesn't always win. Look at the Eastern Conference two years ago. 7 and 8 seeds in the Conference Finals. Or just look at the Capitals.
I'm not talking about seeds though. Of course the better team doesn't always win, but they did this time.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:44 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
beat me.
Beat me too. VS has shown the Preds either 1 or 0 times a year since I can remember. It just shows how stupid they are. I guess they think beating Anaheim and nearly beating the Canucks was a one time only happening.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 11:57 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Relatively speaking, there is no demand for us compared to the Rangers, Penguins or Sabres, and we're in a very small market in the Western Conference, so this shouldn't shock anyone.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:00 AM
CloakroomCrusader

I guess I missed the correlation between us winning one playoff round and where we might garner good TV ratings...

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakroomCrusader View Post
I guess I missed the correlation between us winning one playoff round and where we might garner good TV ratings...
Hah I was wondering if somebody was going to come out and say it.

It's a shame really, just means even less Preds hockey for me to watch. I have a pretty good sports package at home that my girlfriend puts up with, even then I only get a handful of Preds games a month. The rest I scavenge online for.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:46 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
We get 2 games on Vs and they're both on the road? Wow.

The season is long enough that every team should be able to get at least one home game on national TV every year. When the season is 6+ months long, one game of a smaller market team isn't going to hurt the station. Plus, it would be nice to be able to see everyone's home jersey at least once.

That's a very heavy Eastern Conference schedule. I know the time zones make it difficult to show Western games, but a few double headers or just a late game every now and then wouldn't hurt. Sometimes it's like they don't want to even acknowledge that there is a Western Conference, let alone teams in the south or in California.

What exactly has St.Louis done in the last few years to get 8 games on Versus (in which 6 are at home)?

What has Minnesota done to get 9 games (6 at home)?

How is Tampa on 11 times (5 at home)?

I think they could sacrifice one of the Rangers 16 games (11 home) for one measly Preds home game.

I like our games better on local TV over National TV, but it would still be nice for at least one home game to be on nationally.

OH WAIT.... We DO have home games:
Jan 1 v Calgary ... on NHL Network-US.

Nov 12 v Montreal ... CBC HNIC
Mar 24 v Winnipeg ... CBC HNIC

Sad...more home games shown nationally in Canada than in the US.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:50 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

National broadcasts are about ratings. We're not a big national draw so we don't get a lot of national broadcasts. The timing for maximum viewership makes east coast games more desirable. Is it fair ... hell no ... but the logic is obvious.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:07 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I know as a fan of all sports I get tired of seeing the same teams on national TV over and over to the point where I rarely watch. Yes, I know the Red Sox and Yankees are popular. No, I don't want to watch them. I know the Red Wings and Rangers are popular. I don't want to watch them either. I wouldn't even mind if they got 10 games each, I understand NBC has to do what they can to get ratings.

Seriously though, can't they do a Detroit @ Nashville game for VS? You still have the popular Red Wings to draw viewers but you get a home game. Do the same thing elsewhere. Boston @ Florida. They can find places for that in the schedule, they just go for the simple route. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington, Detroit and Chicago.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:22 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Last year, the Thrashers got zero NBC or Versus games... At least the Preds get SOMETHING this year.

I'm also grateful that I'll get the Preds games on Fox Sports Net here in Bimringham (It looks like that's the case at least)

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 08:21 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Last year, the Thrashers got zero NBC or Versus games... At least the Preds get SOMETHING this year.

I'm also grateful that I'll get the Preds games on Fox Sports Net here in Bimringham (It looks like that's the case at least)
look this isn't about fair, it isn't a about what is due, it isn't about what is right...it is about how big a of a market share NBC/VS think they will get=tv ratings=ad time=$$$$$$$$. notice we get 2 more games than last year and both are on the road at big market areas(NYC & Chi and how did the isles do?). the 2 games on the road are in defference to our playoffs last year and that is it. anyone who thinks the media, government, executives are not ****** for money is just kidding yourself. they don't care about fair, or what is right or balanced or even, they care about what benifits them and the rest is just noise(just like 99.9% the worlds corp structure). this is a business and it is about money to them. look at the avs...they have sucked for quite some time but they still get games because 10+ years ago them and the wings had a bit of a rivalry and they are still trying to milk that dried tit.

yes i hate that it is this way, but come on people don't be so naive. it's like electing the same guy every year and expecting some different.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 09:00 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I love the optimism, but realistically, Vancouver is the better team. I also don't believe we'd have beaten the Sharks either. They are our Achilles heal. I think we could have beaten the Bruins though.
I follow the Predators more than other team (even the Isles who I watch on a regular basis. Heck I don't live in Smashville and I can't afford NHL-CI) I used to stay up until 1:30 am listening to the play by play on the internet (while NHL game radio was an option. good luck finding it now. without paying anything that is) Our record against the sharks this past season ... 2-0-2 (sure we didn't have exactly the same line up during those games ). Sure the playoffs don't necessarily reflect the regular season but our defensive game is top notch. I don't doubt that had we beaten Vancouver (stupid cheats) A trip to the finals was in our own hands so to speak

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 09:31 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:

(Sorry, didn't see this on the Around the NHL thread til just now. Mods delete if necessary.)
Atlanta always got the shaft when it came to national exposure as well.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:11 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I know as a fan of all sports I get tired of seeing the same teams on national TV over and over to the point where I rarely watch. Yes, I know the Red Sox and Yankees are popular. No, I don't want to watch them. I know the Red Wings and Rangers are popular. I don't want to watch them either. I wouldn't even mind if they got 10 games each, I understand NBC has to do what they can to get ratings.

Seriously though, can't they do a Detroit @ Nashville game for VS? You still have the popular Red Wings to draw viewers but you get a home game. Do the same thing elsewhere. Boston @ Florida. They can find places for that in the schedule, they just go for the simple route. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington, Detroit and Chicago.
I agree, Yankees & Red Sox, Lakers & Celtics, Cowboys & Dolphins; overexposed.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes555 View Post
look this isn't about fair, it isn't a about what is due, it isn't about what is right...it is about how big a of a market share NBC/VS think they will get=tv ratings=ad time=$$$$$$$$. notice we get 2 more games than last year and both are on the road at big market areas(NYC & Chi and how did the isles do?). the 2 games on the road are in defference to our playoffs last year and that is it. anyone who thinks the media, government, executives are not ****** for money is just kidding yourself. they don't care about fair, or what is right or balanced or even, they care about what benifits them and the rest is just noise(just like 99.9% the worlds corp structure). this is a business and it is about money to them. look at the avs...they have sucked for quite some time but they still get games because 10+ years ago them and the wings had a bit of a rivalry and they are still trying to milk that dried tit.

yes i hate that it is this way, but come on people don't be so naive. it's like electing the same guy every year and expecting some different.
But if they're going to show us at all, why not show us at home? That was my point. All the talk about how Nashville was such a surprise to everyone because of the energy and passion...and then they have the ability to show that and don't. We play 3 home games against the big market teams of Detroit and Chicago--why not opt for one of those instead of an away game in their barn? Everyone has seen United Center and Joe Louis Arena. Then hype it and people might tune in to see Detroit get razzed by those crazy people in Nashville, or see how loud it is when Toews gets leveled by Tootoo. Never underestimate the appeal of an underdog--if people know they're playing.