HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Hickey

Old
07-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Nose of Sutter

vCash: 500
Thomas Hickey

So there have been rumors of Hickey possibly being moved by the Kings, it also doesn't help his case when he is behind at least Voynov and Muzzin on the Kings D. So what would your teams give up for him?

This is my first thread in the trade board so please dont flame me too bad please.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:57 AM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
So there have been rumors of Hickey possibly being moved by the Kings, it also doesn't help his case when he is behind at least Voynov and Muzzin on the Kings D. So what would your teams give up for him?

This is my first thread in the trade board so please dont flame me too bad please.
Get ready for lots of Hickey is a bust comments. But the guy just turned 22, so he is far from a bust.

I think there are several NHL teams where Hickey would have good chance to stick.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:02 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

vCash: 50
trade you cumiskey for him

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:04 AM
sBarry

I'd love for the Bruins to make an offer to the Kings about Voynov, but Hickey would be a good guy to take a chance on too.

sBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:41 AM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
No way you can call Hickey a bust when he's been injured the whole time. Not his fault. Though I would like to move him for some immediate help. 3rd line RWer with size, grit, isn't slower than ****, and can score a few goals a year would be great in return.

cnshockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post

You need balls to post something flame-worthy, son. What can I flame? You give me nothing. You need a da bawl. You are like kitten.

This is a run of the mill "value of" thread, not a "look at me, I posted a trade proposal" thread.

Richie to Brownie...who gave you that nickname...was it Smytty? I bet it was Smytty...

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The problem with a lot of our players, in my opinion, is they don't get a fair shake in the NHL (not talking about Hickey, but players like Moulson would fall into this category) and also the fact that in some positions, we are so deep in, like defense, where we actually have several high talents that just have no where to play because of established veterans above them. Voynov was astoundingly good in the AHL last season, and to top it off he is an amazing skater and won the speed competition as well, but he has 6-7 established defenders above him, same goes for several of our other solid prospects, and Dean believes wholeheartedly that these players, outside of a few special cases like Doughty and Kopitar, should pay their dues and work their way through the minors and doesn't believe in age markers or deadlines.

Now back to Hickey - he had a run of bad luck. He was drafted too high because Dean couldn't move down, but was set on needing another solid offensive defenseman to pair wish Johnson or provide a 1-2 punch on the first and second units. He, however, didn't know that a year later, he was going to get one of the most impressive/highest potential young defensemen in the world. Hickey was right there and almost made the team that next camp, but nobody could deny that Doughty was something special, and then Hickey had a couple of unfortunate injuries that put him out of the running a couple of years too. Now he is healthy, but has no where to go, and the team need he was drafted on has been filled by a world class prospect. Doughty and Johnson are solidified, Murray and Lombardi like to pair their young offensive defenseman with a veteran defensive defenseman and therefore the:

Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene

pairings were born. There is no where for anyone to get promoted after Martinez came out of no where and played terrific for us and got re-signed to a multi-year deal and we have several veterans with us for mutliple years, only upcoming change may be Mitchell.

All that rambling was to setup my point that it is true that Hickey's value isn't through the roof, but very few who have never played in the NHL is; however, there are quite a few teams that are interested in a young 22 year old NHL ready prospect defenseman with his upside, skating, and hockey sense. Don't kid yourself, he is still a valuable asset as far as unproven prospects go, and he has proven himself capable of staying healthy last season, he could be a pretty decent bargaining chip to various teams and the only reason he hasn't played a game for the Kings is team need and defensive depth prevents it, not because he isn't capable.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:52 AM
sBarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
No way you can call Hickey a bust when he's been injured the whole time. Not his fault. Though I would like to move him for some immediate help. 3rd line RWer with size, grit, isn't slower than ****, and can score a few goals a year would be great in return.
chris kelly + a pick do it? He's a lefty though.

How about paille haha

sBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
leafmon

If I were to trade for him it would only be after some heavy scouting of him at the AHL level. Where he was picked would have zip tp do with things but the injuries would be a concern.
LA would be better to hold onto him but 22 older then most think for guys drafted near the top.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:25 PM
santiclaws

I'm hoping that Hickey takes Martinez's job in training camp this season.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:46 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
I'm hoping that Hickey takes Martinez's job in training camp this season.
After yesterdays events, I wouldn't count on that.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:47 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

I havent been impressed with Hickey at all in Manchester. Is he a bust? probably too early to call him that, but I would say his development so far as been dissapointing.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Sounds like you're talking about Wayne Simmonds

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Dougie Seguin
2011 Cup Champs

As a Bruins fan, i would be interested in a swap of Hamill and Hickey

Dougie Seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:55 PM
8BostonRocker24

Remember what Nikita Filatov was just traded for? There's your value.

Small, non-physical defenseman that is 22 years old and yet to play an NHL game. He scored 24 points in 77 games last year on a very good Manchester team. (37 points in 103 career AHL games).

I don't see teams offering anything of value for a 5-10 offensive defenseman that isn't put up good numbers in The AHL.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Karlssonlee

Karl Alzner...

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:12 PM
AlexanderTheGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gali39 View Post
trade you cumiskey for him
If I'm L.A., I don't think twice about this one.

AlexanderTheGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:13 PM
cnshockey
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Exactly. We need to replace him...

Old
07-09-2011, 01:17 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Taylor Chorney after he gets injured

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The problem with a lot of our players, in my opinion, is they don't get a fair shake in the NHL (not talking about Hickey, but players like Moulson would fall into this category) and also the fact that in some positions, we are so deep in, like defense, where we actually have several high talents that just have no where to play because of established veterans above them. Voynov was astoundingly good in the AHL last season, and to top it off he is an amazing skater and won the speed competition as well, but he has 6-7 established defenders above him, same goes for several of our other solid prospects, and Dean believes wholeheartedly that these players, outside of a few special cases like Doughty and Kopitar, should pay their dues and work their way through the minors and doesn't believe in age markers or deadlines.

Now back to Hickey - he had a run of bad luck. He was drafted too high because Dean couldn't move down, but was set on needing another solid offensive defenseman to pair wish Johnson or provide a 1-2 punch on the first and second units. He, however, didn't know that a year later, he was going to get one of the most impressive/highest potential young defensemen in the world. Hickey was right there and almost made the team that next camp, but nobody could deny that Doughty was something special, and then Hickey had a couple of unfortunate injuries that put him out of the running a couple of years too. Now he is healthy, but has no where to go, and the team need he was drafted on has been filled by a world class prospect. Doughty and Johnson are solidified, Murray and Lombardi like to pair their young offensive defenseman with a veteran defensive defenseman and therefore the:

Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene

pairings were born. There is no where for anyone to get promoted after Martinez came out of no where and played terrific for us and got re-signed to a multi-year deal and we have several veterans with us for mutliple years, only upcoming change may be Mitchell.

All that rambling was to setup my point that it is true that Hickey's value isn't through the roof, but very few who have never played in the NHL is; however, there are quite a few teams that are interested in a young 22 year old NHL ready prospect defenseman with his upside, skating, and hockey sense. Don't kid yourself, he is still a valuable asset as far as unproven prospects go, and he has proven himself capable of staying healthy last season, he could be a pretty decent bargaining chip to various teams and the only reason he hasn't played a game for the Kings is team need and defensive depth prevents it, not because he isn't capable.
Excellent excellent analysis.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:11 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
After yesterdays events, I wouldn't count on that.
The Kings are happy with Martinez, as well they should be. Doesn't mean that wouldn't give his job to another player if he is outplayed in camp. Sixth defenseman is not exactly a secure position in the lineup.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:41 PM
facts

Bobrovsky for Hickey - book it

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:44 PM
cnshockey
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
Bobrovsky for Hickey - book it
Your username plus this post = failure.

Why the ***** would we need another goalie?

Old
07-09-2011, 03:13 PM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
We are talking about Wayne Simmonds. But we had a gaping hole at 2C, so we gave up a great fit at 3RW for an excellent 2C. Now we need to replace him.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:20 PM
mstad101

Mikeal Samuelsson and a 3rd?

mstad101 is online now   Reply With Quote