HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Halo 4

Old
07-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
Halo 1 > all the others. Looking forward to the Combat Evolved Anniversary edition.
Same for me, thats the only Halo I'm interested in.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHammy View Post
Until stupid people stop buying it, they'll keep rehashing the same old thing over and over...
See Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Final Fantasy, WoW, Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted... Oh that's right, it' s not allowed when it's done by Microsoft... Silly me.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
i'm kind of amazed that the newer installments of Halo never really had the ability to aim down the sights like in COD, or other newer shooters.

and i never really saw the greatness of the online Halo play ...maybe it was good 8 years ago, or so, but by today's standards it's nothing special, imo. any time i ever tried it out, you basically had to empty all your ammo into someone's ass to weaken them and then run up and hit them with the butt end of your gun to finish them off.

either that, or you'd be tossing grenades at their feet while jumping around ...hoping for the best.

seems pretty boring online.

i did like the single player campaigns tho.

edit: oh, and another thing i disliked was that you couldn't sprint. just the same one speed all the time. so terrible at this point.
Well since all the weapons had scopes installed or no need for one (Needler), it would have been pointless.

Reach introduced Sprint in the from of the armor abilities.

If you can't throw a grenade at someone's feet and then shoot the guy, you just flat out suck.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:32 PM
awesomo
HARD!

i dont get the hype with halo, i mean its not that great.

there are way better FPS out there.

not trying to hate, just saying MO

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post

For a time on console Halo was hands down the best shooter. H2 kick started console live service and did a pretty good job at it.

When Cod4 hit it pretty much took over xbox live. Reach is still in the top 3 for xbox live activity last time I checked but it ranks behind both black ops and MW2.

I wouldnt be surprised if Reach stayed ahead of BF3 for activity on xbox live and if it doesnt I would attribute that cod fans just dont want to pay for the "extra" perks and are playing BF instead.

Anyway Ive played alot of halo and certainly one thing I dislike is the ADS/Zoom system, its also something that could be changed in H4.

Last edited by Evil Ted: 07-26-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Well since all the weapons had scopes installed or no need for one (Needler), it would have been pointless.

Reach introduced Sprint in the from of the armor abilities.

If you can't throw a grenade at someone's feet and then shoot the guy, you just flat out suck.

oh, i admit i'm nothing special at Halo multiplayer ...but that's more because of me not liking the gameplay and therefore not sinking the time into it.

and being able to pick Sprint as your one 'special' ability in Reach was laughable ...but it was probably the only one worth a damn.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:11 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
See Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Final Fantasy, WoW, Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted... Oh that's right, it' s not allowed when it's done by Microsoft... Silly me.
Half of those have made several fundamental changes over their lifetime.

Halo has been the exact same from the start.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:

It's the hardest console fps to be good at for sure that alone turns a lot of people off.

I enjoy it in spurts.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:

You're probably just bad then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
It's the hardest console fps to be good at for sure that alone turns a lot of people off.

I enjoy it in spurts.
Agreed. Halo takes so much more skill than CoD does. I play online a lot with my roommates and am usually first in every 4v4 TDM we play, but they aren't that great at it and get frustrated because it's harder. I enjoy the challenge and the fact that it takes practice to get good, unlike CoD.

I played it like crazy this past school year and the only reason I'm not now is because my Xbox is at school, so I'll be rusty as **** in September.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:55 AM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
You're probably just bad then.
The only logical reason for not liking a videogame.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
The only logical reason for not liking a videogame.
You'd be surprised how common it is. When Reach was released I wnet to play with some people I had played CoD 4 and MW2 before and were about 1 KD ratio (or better) players there and they flat out stunk in Reach. They were utterly clueless on how to use armor abilities and and the game in general. There were several comments of "why the **** does it take to kill you so long?!" as it was painfully obvious these people had become brainwashed by the ADHD gameplay of CoD and it's hardcore mode and the fact that you couldn't succeed in it by camping in a corner due to larger maps and less corners to hide in.

Old
07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Halo is just a very different style of game than COD or others. If you didn't play through all the versions until reach, you're going to have a tough time competing on-line. COD is a much easier game to pick up.

Halo has a much better team aspect in my opinion. Map and weapon control is crucial. You can't just spawn with a sniper, ghost, ninja ect and camp.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

FPS have fallen further than I thought if we've gotten to the point where Halo is considered "hard".

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Zodiac

i liked it when ODST was released ...that 'firefight' mode, or whatever the hell it was called, looked like something that i might be able to get into a bit.

well, anyway, i bought the game and found out that the only way you could play firefight was by inviting people from your friends list. there was no matchmaking at all. of course, not one person on my friends list plays Halo.

how ****ing stupid. i figured after Gears of War 2 with the matchmaking for Hoard mode that of course Halo would have matchmaking ...but no. shouldn't take those things for granted i guess.

i just shake my head at this series sometimes.

and i know that in some cases when someone sucks at a game they end up disliking it ...but i don't think i can say that's the case for me with Halo's multiplayer.

i mean, i kinda sucked at Battlefield Bad Company 2 for a while ...but still kept playing it because i liked it.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
You'd be surprised how common it is. When Reach was released I wnet to play with some people I had played CoD 4 and MW2 before and were about 1 KD ratio (or better) players there and they flat out stunk in Reach. They were utterly clueless on how to use armor abilities and and the game in general. There were several comments of "why the **** does it take to kill you so long?!" as it was painfully obvious these people had become brainwashed by the ADHD gameplay of CoD and it's hardcore mode and the fact that you couldn't succeed in it by camping in a corner due to larger maps and less corners to hide in.
Agreed. I'm sure a lot of people that claim that Reach sucked are avid CoD players and couldn't handle the differences or the transition between the two. I've seen it firsthand with a lot of my friends who as you said, are used to every gun being OP and being able to sit in a corner killing people, but getting destroyed in Halo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Halo has a much better team aspect in my opinion. Map and weapon control is crucial. You can't just spawn with a sniper, ghost, ninja ect and camp.
This. You can be successful on your own in CoD but you need your teammates if you want to win in Halo. I guess it's personal preference, but I love playing 4v4 TDM with my roommates online all of us in the same room, especially when we're matched up with another 4 person team and get to run several games with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
FPS have fallen further than I thought if we've gotten to the point where Halo is considered "hard".
It is when compared to CoD/MW.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
dilbert25*

Nice!!!

dilbert25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Halo is just a very different style of game than COD or others. If you didn't play through all the versions until reach, you're going to have a tough time competing on-line. COD is a much easier game to pick up.

Quoted for truth. It's painful to see how incompetent some team mates/friends are at Capture the Flag in Black Ops for example, constantly complaining about the other team camping, while completely ignoring defense of our flag.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
i liked it when ODST was released ...that 'firefight' mode, or whatever the hell it was called, looked like something that i might be able to get into a bit.

well, anyway, i bought the game and found out that the only way you could play firefight was by inviting people from your friends list. there was no matchmaking at all. of course, not one person on my friends list plays Halo.

how ****ing stupid. i figured after Gears of War 2 with the matchmaking for Hoard mode that of course Halo would have matchmaking ...but no. shouldn't take those things for granted i guess.

i just shake my head at this series sometimes.

and i know that in some cases when someone sucks at a game they end up disliking it ...but i don't think i can say that's the case for me with Halo's multiplayer.

i mean, i kinda sucked at Battlefield Bad Company 2 for a while ...but still kept playing it because i liked it.
There is in Reach.

Old
07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Love all the Halos.

Way better than the Crap that is Call of Duty, Battlefield, Resistance..

Those terminals with guilty spark in Halo Anniversary look sweet.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Evil Ted

Another problem I have with this series anymore is that you cannot join sessions in progress which results in frustrating games when two of the four players on the other team quit, its just painful sitting through the rest of the game, it feels like a waste of time.

Old
07-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Another problem I have with this series anymore is that you cannot join sessions in progress which results in frustrating games when two of the four players on the other team quit, its just painful sitting through the rest of the game, it feels like a waste of time.
Try playing BFBC2 10 vs 2 on defense... Now that's a waste of time.

Old
07-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Agreed, it sucks when your team has 4 players left and the other has 2. However, I quite enjoy when I'm playing with a friend in the same room and the other two guys on our team leave early on so it's 4v2. I enjoy trying to come back and win and have multiple times.

Old
07-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Try playing BFBC2 10 vs 2 on defense... Now that's a waste of time.
Not really because BFBC2 will fill back up pretty quickly, I play it a fair bit on both pc and 360. In Halo you have to wait for the game to be over before it fills the lobby again.

Its just another area of the game personally thats turned me away from the franchise, again something they can fix with there next game pretty easy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Agreed, it sucks when your team has 4 players left and the other has 2. However, I quite enjoy when I'm playing with a friend in the same room and the other two guys on our team leave early on so it's 4v2. I enjoy trying to come back and win and have multiple times.
Yeah that challenge can be fun, at the same time depending on the map or the type of game too. I know in swat games its an advantage if you have less teammates for me it is anyway.

Old
07-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:

Yeah that challenge can be fun, at the same time depending on the map or the type of game too. I know in swat games its an advantage if you have less teammates for me it is anyway.
I pretty much just play Team Deathmatch with my roommates so every time that's happened I've just put on a crazy streak and we come back to win, even when we're down by a lot. If only I could get my roommates to the same level.

Old
07-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Not really because BFBC2 will fill back up pretty quickly, I play it a fair bit on both pc and 360.
It didn't on the example I gave, we were defending the first crates and I had already gotten a couple of landmine kills for the enemy driving their patrolboats into them, and suddenly there were only two of them and they still almost 50 tickets. My squadmates fooled around for about 15 minutes with no one joining the game.That's when I got fed up with the game and quit. Plus there's a been a couple of occasions where I've gone to a match with a friend or two where we are the only players. So Dice still have a lot of work to do before they can catch Reach on matchmaking.

Last edited by Jussi: 07-29-2011 at 10:29 AM.