HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Vladimir Tarasenko

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2012, 03:09 AM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
As for the question of Hitchcock's relationship with Russians, which is an issue that goes back to the 1990's, I don't think a beat writer is in a position to tell the true story, assumption on your part if in fact there was a story to tell. You're the one that seems to think there's a story. The lowly beat writer who spends his days talking to Hitch and the players is the one saying that there is no story. Beat writers have to cultivate at least some good will with the teams they cover, so he is not likely to pick a fight with Ken Hitchcock over Russian hockey players, another false assumption on your part. While he remains professional, Rutherford is more than willing to tell it like he sees it, especially in his 2 hour weekly chats he does when he answers fans questions. mainly because no one in St. Louis is really going to shed a tear for the plight of Russians. Does the city of STL have some sort of anti-Russian history I'm not aware of? His tenure with the Dallas Stars was even more controversial regarding Russians, since he allegedly maintained a "no Russians" policy. Do you have a link to anything credible referring to this policy? A negative attitude by a coach has a tremendous effect on whether players succeed or fail, and nobody has the capability of being more negative than Ken Hitchcock. We must be familiar with different Hitchcocks. This one goes out of his way to praise his players and praises the positives over yelling about the negatives. He himself admitted that he realized he needed to change his coaching style to accommodate how today's players interpret praise/critisism and he's been nothing but a breath of fresh air in STL.
Comments in bold.

Old
01-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Comments in bold.
All that is irrelevant if you don't acquire Russian players and you don't cultivate them. Hitchcock has a track record of having bad relations with Russian players. He couldn't even get along with Sergei Zubov, who was a superb defenseman and a total asset for the Stars. That's the reputation he has, and in my opinion, it is fairly earned.

Old
01-16-2012, 11:23 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I used to love playing Hitchcock's Stars, because being in the doghouse Zubov would never see the ice and they were easy to beat.

Old
01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I used to love playing Hitchcock's Stars, because being in the doghouse Zubov would never see the ice and they were easy to beat.
You're exactly right! Zubov was definitely a brilliant offensive defensemen who had an amazing, uncanny ability to look one way and put a pass on a teammate's stick in the other direction. But he wasn't a banger or a great defensive defenseman, so he stayed in the doghouse throughout Hitchcock's career there. Luckily for him, Hitchcock couldn't get along with Brett Hull, Mike Modano and a lot of other Stars stars either, and in that situation, its the coach who has to go!

Old
01-17-2012, 06:13 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I used to hate when Zubov averaged more ice time under Hitchcock than at any time during his career because that just proved how much he was in Hitchcock's doghouse. Fact: that's how Hitchcock's doghouse works he plays you the most of ANYONE!

Old
01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
As for his chances of coming over next season, I think it has basically been guaranteed with him leaving Novosibirsk. Money doesn't seem like it is this kids motivation.
based on what

Old
01-17-2012, 11:19 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
based on what
He said more than once that the only KHL team he'll play for is Sibir, and his trade stipulates that his rights will be returned to them at the end of the season. They are not a rich club. Those are not the behaviors of someone whose primary motivation is money.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I used to hate when Zubov averaged more ice time under Hitchcock than at any time during his career because that just proved how much he was in Hitchcock's doghouse. Fact: that's how Hitchcock's doghouse works he plays you the most of ANYONE!
I didn't say that he didn't play Zubov - he really didn't have any other option, especially on the power play, where Zubov was justifiably considered the best NHL defenseman on the power play. Like some other Stars players, particularly Brett Hull, Hitchcock wouldn't hesitate to trash him in the press because he wasn't a defense-first kind of guy. Hull was probably one of the greatest goal scorers in NHL history, but Hitchcock trashed him because he didn't think he back checked well enough.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
I didn't say that he didn't play Zubov - he really didn't have any other option, especially on the power play, where Zubov was justifiably considered the best NHL defenseman on the power play. Like some other Stars players, particularly Brett Hull, Hitchcock wouldn't hesitate to trash him in the press because he wasn't a defense-first kind of guy. Hull was probably one of the greatest goal scorers in NHL history, but Hitchcock trashed him because he didn't think he back checked well enough.
And Hull credits Hitchcock for turning himself into a better all-around player and ultimately leading him to a Stanley Cup; he also says that Hitchcock is exactly what this young Blues' team needs, and coincidentally the Blues were tied for first in the league as of yesterday (believe they are 3rd or so right now)....so what's your point again?

Old
01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Sn00kiMonster

I can see Hitchcock turning Tarasenko into a complete player. I'm more excited about Hitchcock working with Tarasenko than if Payne was.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:22 PM
LuckyLuke87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn00kiMonster View Post
I can see Hitchcock turning Tarasenko into a complete player. I'm more excited about Hitchcock working with Tarasenko than if Payne was.
This. Whatever Hitch's history is, I feel lot more comfortable with him working with Tarasenko than if Payne was the coach.

Old
01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
And Hull credits Hitchcock for turning himself into a better all-around player and ultimately leading him to a Stanley Cup; he also says that Hitchcock is exactly what this young Blues' team needs, and coincidentally the Blues were tied for first in the league as of yesterday (believe they are 3rd or so right now)....so what's your point again?
That's one of those "in retrospect" comments - he hated Hitch when he played for him, but years later, after he's retired, says "that's just what I needed." If Tarasenko is sick of having all of that offensive talent, and just wants to turn into a mucker and grinder, then Hitch is the right coach for him. I suspect Tarasenko will go to St. Louis and deal with Hitchcock as it comes.

Old
01-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Sn00kiMonster

Quote:
That's one of those "in retrospect" comments - he hated Hitch when he played for him, but years later, after he's retired, says "that's just what I needed." If Tarasenko is sick of having all of that offensive talent, and just wants to turn into a mucker and grinder, then Hitch is the right coach for him. I suspect Tarasenko will go to St. Louis and deal with Hitchcock as it comes.
You are entitled to your opinion, but how much have you watched of the blues since hitchcock has taken over?

Oshie is just as creative as he was before, plus Hitchcock has him playing his best hockey yet.

Perron isn't back to what he was in my opinion after being out of the league for a year, but hitch hasn't turned him into a mucker/grinder. He still plays a skilled game.

I just think your comments about Tarasenko not being able to use his skill and hitch turning him into a grinder are way off base.

Old
01-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn00kiMonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
This. Whatever Hitch's history is, I feel lot more comfortable with him working with Tarasenko than if Payne was the coach.
By the sounds of it Hitchcock's recent success has a lot to do with him changing his approach on how he deals with players. He had a good amount of time to reflect and it seems as though he did a good job evaluating himself and what he had to do to.

Old
01-20-2012, 02:44 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
By the sounds of it Hitchcock's recent success has a lot to do with him changing his approach on how he deals with players. He had a good amount of time to reflect and it seems as though he did a good job evaluating himself and what he had to do to.
Honestly I hated the Hitchcock signing when we signed him. Hitchcock really does seem to have evolved as a coach.

Hitchcock even stated himself he was a huge fan of the Oilers run and gun style fan from the 80's. He said he tried that as a coach and it didn't work at all. Then he changed his style to what you saw in Dallas and Philly and Columbus.

I really think Hitchcock utilizes the players he has to the best of their abilities. He wants his players to be responsible at both ends of the ice. He also isn't going to hold back an offensive player from playing a skilled game.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Fulcrum

Tarasenko... let the force be with you

http://www.youtube.com/user/KHLoffic...?feature=watch

STL is getting magical powers.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Tarasenko... let the force be with you

http://www.youtube.com/user/KHLoffic...?feature=watch

STL is getting magical powers.
Wait... wtf??? Does he literally have the puck on a string there?

Old
01-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
future of hockey, apparently

Old
01-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post

Has to be a string

Old
01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
That was really creative. I didn't see the string when I watched the first time so the I was confused how the puck went in and the replay blew my mind.

Old
01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Has to be a string
ye, if you look on the 7th second you can see it. It's like an invisible fishing string.

Old
01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Hooch314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Has to be a string
Nope. Talent.

Old
01-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Garyboy

It's a magnet. They use that trick in hockey movies. Great skill, nonetheless.

Old
01-21-2012, 05:07 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
That was really creative. I didn't see the string when I watched the first time so the I was confused how the puck went in and the replay blew my mind.
what time of the video?

Old
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
It's a magnet. They use that trick in hockey movies. Great skill, nonetheless.
lol, Tarasenko said it like 2 minutes after that it's fishing wire. You can see it on the 4th second of the video.. How can you magnetize vulcanized rubber?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0HtnQM5IDM

Closed Thread