HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Vladimir Tarasenko

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Kshahdoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson12 View Post
this kid is going to make me really hate that rundblad trade for many years to come
Ottawa would never draft him anyway so why regret?

Old
11-02-2012, 01:07 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson12 View Post
this kid is going to make me really hate that rundblad trade for many years to come
Imagine if Ottawa sat tight on Tarasenko, and went with a more "media favourite" pick in 2011 like Couturier. Their top 6 this year (if there is a "this year") would look something like:

Michalek - Spezza - Tarasenko
Silfverberg - Couturier - Alfredsson

Old
11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Goal and 2 primary assists for Tarasenko in 9-2 win. 10+9 after 13 games. His PPG is better then some blue chip prospects' one in CHL...
Producing at an insane rate. I believe he is now 3rd in the KHL in PPG, behind only Kovalchuk and Malkin, while receiving just 13:25 mins/game.

Side note, can any SKA/KHL fans comment on why he's receiving such limited minutes?

Old
11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Imagine if Ottawa sat tight on Tarasenko, and went with a more "media favourite" pick in 2011 like Couturier. Their top 6 this year (if there is a "this year") would look something like:

Michalek - Spezza - Tarasenko
Silfverberg - Couturier - Alfredsson
Yeah, this 1st line could be special. But those who fear "the Russian factor" don't deserve any such things.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Producing at an insane rate. I believe he is now 3rd in the KHL in PPG, behind only Kovalchuk and Malkin, while receiving just 13:25 mins/game.

Side note, can any SKA/KHL fans comment on why he's receiving such limited minutes?
That's just an average, which had low minute games in beginning.

He's been getting between 14-17! minutes some games. The team has 4 good lines that all deserve and do play. He doesn't get PK time either. He gets very fair minutes.

Citing averages is like saying "if you put one foot in ice water and the other in boiling water- you'll be warm".

Old
11-02-2012, 01:55 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post

He's been getting between 14-16 minutes recently. The team has 4 good lines that all deserve and do play. He doesn't get PK time either. He gets very fair minutes.

Citing averages is like saying "if you put one foot in ice water and the other in boiling water- you'll be warm".
14-16 mins still seems a bit lower than you'd expect when guys like Martensson, Thoresen and Tikhonov are all averaging 17-18 mins/game on the season, but it's not bad. I do still find it a bit surprising that he's just 9th in TOI/G among SKA forwards (and 15th among all players) despite being 3rd in the entire league in PPG, especially since he has seemed to have a reasonably well rounded game when I've watched him play, but I'm sure the SKA coaching staff have their reasons.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
14-16 mins still seems a bit lower than you'd expect when guys like Martensson, Thoresen and Tikhonov are all averaging 17-18 mins/game on the season, but it's not bad. I do still find it a bit surprising that he's just 9th in TOI/G among SKA forwards (and 15th among all players) despite being 3rd in the entire league in PPG, especially since he has seemed to have a reasonably well rounded game when I've watched him play, but I'm sure the SKA coaching staff have their reasons.
You're reading way too much into this TOI/G averages.

Team is winning, he's getting points... a lot of them coming because of good teammates, not because he's the one and only who should be getting more minutes. This tells me you don't actually watch any SKA games

Old
11-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Nice. He's scoring a goal every 17.4 minutes. For comparison, Radulov is putting one in every 48.8 minutes.

Strictly on a points-per-game basis, only Malkin and Kovalchuk are ahead of Tarasenko and barely at that. Those two also get 21:51 and 19:11 of icetime per game, compared to Tarasenko's 13:25.

The kid's gonna be beast in the NHL.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:

He's been getting between 14-17! minutes some games. The team has 4 good lines that all deserve and do play. He doesn't get PK time either. He gets very fair minutes.

The last 5 games he's gotten:
13:37
14:15
13:28
14:23
13:43

Stats would indicate he's one of, if not THE, best player in the league. You can say the team has four good lines but when Tarasenko gets less icetime than half your club, there's a problem.

Citing averages doesn't make sense only when the sample size is too low. It isn't now, especially when you consider his playoffs last year.

Are you the coach's son?

Seriously though, I can't wait for the kid to play in the NHL. He's not exactly a household name to the casual fan in North America and I think many people will be surprised.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:31 PM
InjuredChoker

I think Tank's injury lowered that avg ice time?

Oh man he's on a roll.. I hope he doesn't tear Detroit apart in coming years.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:50 PM
KapG

He doesn't get first unit PP time I think?

Could be one of the reasons for his low TOI.

Very happy to have this kid in my keeper. Him and Kovy are just shredding the K together

Old
11-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Nice. He's scoring a goal every 17.4 minutes. For comparison, Radulov is putting one in every 48.8 minutes.

Strictly on a points-per-game basis, only Malkin and Kovalchuk are ahead of Tarasenko and barely at that. Those two also get 21:51 and 19:11 of icetime per game, compared to Tarasenko's 13:25.

The kid's gonna be beast in the NHL.
Datsyuk is 6+13 after 15 games with 20.37 TOI. Tarasenko is 10+9 after 13 games with 13.25 TOI...

Old
11-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Right now he is playing even better than I think anyone expected. 19 points in only 13 games averaging only 13 1/2 minutes a game is crazy. I've never been so excited for a prospect of the Blues since I can remember.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Datsyuk is 6+13 after 15 games with 20.37 TOI. Tarasenko is 10+9 after 13 games with 13.25 TOI...
That Datsyuk guy, whoever he is, is a bum!

Old
11-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
The last 5 games he's gotten:

Stats would indicate he's one of, if not THE, best player in the league. You can say the team has four good lines but when Tarasenko gets less icetime than half your club, there's a problem.

Citing averages doesn't make sense only when the sample size is too low. It isn't now, especially when you consider his playoffs last year.

Are you the coach's son?

Seriously though, I can't wait for the kid to play in the NHL. He's not exactly a household name to the casual fan in North America and I think many people will be surprised.
I'm just saying he's had some games where he played 16-17 minutes. I'm not degrading his performance- it's outstanding, but playing with one of the best in the world certainly helps stats.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:18 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I think Tank's injury lowered that avg ice time?
Oh man he's on a roll.. I hope he doesn't tear Detroit apart in coming years.
Except there wasn't an actual injury that would prevent him from playing more minutes. He was held out as a precaution and kudos to SKA for handling that situation well. The question then becomes, "Why does he have so few minutes in the last 5 games after he's come back?".

Yosemite Sam listed his icetime over the last 5 games-

So where are these 15-16 minute games that Fulcrum is insisiting he's getting? I remember seeing one game where he broke 17 minutes but that's clearly been the rare exception when you see his 13:25 average and it was before his injury.

Now as Fulcrum stated, he doesn't PK which accounts for some of this. Another factor is how deep SKA's forward group is. But one would still expect to see a premier scorer like Tarasenko get 16-17 a game even recognising the depth and lack of PK minutes(I think he will eventually start getting those minutes). Personally, I really don't care if he's averaging 13:25 or 19+. He's showed his determination to succeed regardless of icetime and clearly wants to be the difference maker for his team. I'm just thrilled he wants to be that guy.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Vladimir Tarasenko – Hard to find a more complete young player in the KHL. Tarasenko has simply been amazing. I’ve come to expect it, so maybe that is why I’m less impressed with him than Yakupov. Overall I’d say he is ready for the NHL, his offensive game is so well rounded and flashing dynamism, while his defensive game is simple and effective with attention to detail. He has 9 goals and 16 points in 12 games so far and for the most part has found himself on the second line getting leftover minutes from Kovalchuk. Really wish they would give him PP or PK time like they did before, very annoying to watch him dominate each shift then spend 4 minutes on the bench…might be punishment for “abandoning” them to go to NA.
From one guy from another site...

Old
11-02-2012, 03:40 PM
ponder

Quote:
You're reading way too much into this TOI/G averages.

Team is winning, he's getting points... a lot of them coming because of good teammates, not because he's the one and only who should be getting more minutes. This tells me you don't actually watch any SKA games
As I live in Canada I obviously don't catch many SKA games, only one stream so far this year. Most of my Tarasenko viewings have come from the WJCs, the fact that I haven't been able to watch him in SKA is why I'm asking these questions. It just seems odd to me that his minutes are so low despite his production being so high (as well as his 2-way game looking solid when I've seen him play), and I was curious why this was the case. Wasn't sure if it was injuries, coaches really respecting seniority and giving ice time to vets, coaches viewing the players ahead of him in icetime as better players, etc.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Except there wasn't an actual injury that would prevent him from playing more minutes. He was held out as a precaution and kudos to SKA for handling that situation well. The question then becomes, "Why does he have so few minutes in the last 5 games after he's come back?".

Yosemite Sam listed his icetime over the last 5 games-

So where are these 15-16 minute games that Fulcrum is insisiting he's getting? I remember seeing one game where he broke 17 minutes but that's clearly been the rare exception when you see his 13:25 average and it was before his injury.

Now as Fulcrum stated, he doesn't PK which accounts for some of this. Another factor is how deep SKA's forward group is. But one would still expect to see a premier scorer like Tarasenko get 16-17 a game even recognising the depth and lack of PK minutes(I think he will eventually start getting those minutes). Personally, I really don't care if he's averaging 13:25 or 19+. He's showed his determination to succeed regardless of icetime and clearly wants to be the difference maker for his team. I'm just thrilled he wants to be that guy.
all his games:
3:09
14:22
14:53
17:37
15:20
7:08
15:56
16:41

I don't know another way to say this, but if you watch Ska games, it makes sense with the time he is getting. There are a lot of good players who need ice time on this team, and they don't have a line that just sits while the other 3 play. It's just a very deep team.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
all his games:
3:09
14:22
14:53
17:37
15:20
7:08
15:56
16:41

I don't know another way to say this, but if you watch Ska games, it makes sense with the time he is getting. There are a lot of good players who need ice time on this team, and they don't have a line that just sits while the other 3 play. It's just a very deep team.
I watch every their game and I'd say his time is too low. He could have another couple minutes while guys like Artyukhin could have much less... On the other hand Makarov had only 12.44 today and scored 5 points...

Old
11-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
As I live in Canada I obviously don't catch many SKA games, only one stream so far this year. Most of my Tarasenko viewings have come from the WJCs, the fact that I haven't been able to watch him in SKA is why I'm asking these questions. It just seems odd to me that his minutes are so low despite his production being so high (as well as his 2-way game looking solid when I've seen him play), and I was curious why this was the case. Wasn't sure if it was injuries, coaches really respecting seniority and giving ice time to vets, coaches viewing the players ahead of him in icetime as better players, etc.
There's just so much more to Ska than just power forward/sniper that Tarasenko is. The reason the team is in 1st place is because it's such a balanced team, and coaching decisions (whatever they are) are part of that. It's hard to question it when you see the overall game of the team and the results. Don't forget, if lockout ends this team will be left without these guys, so it can't give them 20+ minutes and rely on them to win. Would be bad for the rest of the team too.

Sure Tarasenko has been huge help, but I'm really not convinced that the team would've been better if he had more TOI. You need those Artyukhins and Makarov's to wear down the other team so that Kovy and Tarasenko can jump on against their 4th line and put in those pucks.

BTW, I live in Canada for most of the year too- just stream the games if you can. Really enjoyable hockey, esp. watching talents like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Yakupov.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Don't forget, if lockout ends this team will be left without these guys, so it can't give them 20+ minutes and rely on them to win. Would be bad for the rest of the team too.
This is a very good point. We'd all love to see him get more icetime for our own selfish reasons but reality is he's seen as a loaner right now. If he stays the year, bonus, but SKA's not going to bank on it.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Team's playing well, Tarasenko is putting in points, I don't really have a problem with 14 min/game. It's probably about the amount of time he can expect in St. Louis anyway. Not a big deal.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
This kid is surprisingly good. In fact he seems to be good at everything but not great in anything. Or is he?

Old
11-02-2012, 06:09 PM
ponder

Quote:
There's just so much more to Ska than just power forward/sniper that Tarasenko is. The reason the team is in 1st place is because it's such a balanced team, and coaching decisions (whatever they are) are part of that. It's hard to question it when you see the overall game of the team and the results. Don't forget, if lockout ends this team will be left without these guys, so it can't give them 20+ minutes and rely on them to win. Would be bad for the rest of the team too.

Sure Tarasenko has been huge help, but I'm really not convinced that the team would've been better if he had more TOI. You need those Artyukhins and Makarov's to wear down the other team so that Kovy and Tarasenko can jump on against their 4th line and put in those pucks.

BTW, I live in Canada for most of the year too- just stream the games if you can. Really enjoyable hockey, esp. watching talents like Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Yakupov.
I believe they are 3rd in their conference, not 1st in the league. Good point about them potentially being left without Tarasenko and Kovalchuk if the lockout ends, though, agreed that it would be a good idea to keep their truly permanent players as keyed in as possible in case this happens.

Closed Thread