HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Vladimir Tarasenko

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2013, 01:17 AM
  #476
Chojin
Tiny Panger...
 
Chojin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,401
vCash: 500
I think he'll put up 25 points this season getting mostly third-line duty. He'll probably also get a spot on the second PP unit.

Chojin is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 01:21 AM
  #477
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
You can't call him one dimensional, but he is a clear cut goal scorer(from around the net most of the time). That means he thrives when put on a scoring line with skilled linemates as could be seen in Novosibirsk when he played on the 1st line and with SKA on the line with Kovalchuk. He couldn't find his stride though on the national team under Billyaletdinov who preaches a similar style like Hitchcock. Responsible two way game is expected from forwards, lines are pretty balanced. Once on the national team Tarasenko couldn't really perform not being the 1st liner with a pretty long leash. It will be interesting to see how he responds to Hitchcock's system.

Atas2000 is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 01:33 AM
  #478
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
As of one hour ago, Hitchcock said Steen will start at center on a line with McDonald and Tarasenko. Steen played mostly center in Sweden during the lockout. He said after practice today that he's looking forward to it.
by jrutherford January 10 at 1:25 PM
http://live.stltoday.com/Event/Threa...d=76861&Page=0

Overkamp is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 01:36 AM
  #479
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
You can't call him one dimensional, but he is a clear cut goal scorer(from around the net most of the time). That means he thrives when put on a scoring line with skilled linemates as could be seen in Novosibirsk when he played on the 1st line and with SKA on the line with Kovalchuk. He couldn't find his stride though on the national team under Billyaletdinov who preaches a similar style like Hitchcock. Responsible two way game is expected from forwards, lines are pretty balanced. Once on the national team Tarasenko couldn't really perform not being the 1st liner with a pretty long leash. It will be interesting to see how he responds to Hitchcock's system.
From 10'-12' he was playing third and fourth line minutes (on those lines) and putting up points..

Overkamp is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 01:44 AM
  #480
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
From 10'-12' he was playing third and fourth line minutes (on those lines) and putting up points..
It's not the question of minutes but of teammates around him and the overall system on the team. AND NT means higher level of play. He couldn't do anything significant on the NT yet. There are many cases of players exploding in the minors/juniors but not able to translate it to their game against top competition. I'm not saying Tarasenko is a projected bust. I'm only assuming we will have to wait and see if he can find his place especially on this STL team.

Atas2000 is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 01:59 AM
  #481
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
It's not the question of minutes but of teammates around him and the overall system on the team. AND NT means higher level of play. He couldn't do anything significant on the NT yet. There are many cases of players exploding in the minors/juniors but not able to translate it to their game against top competition. I'm not saying Tarasenko is a projected bust. I'm only assuming we will have to wait and see if he can find his place especially on this STL team.
He wasn't playing with high end talent on the third and fourth lines..he also wasn't playing in juniors or minors. He was playing in a mens league, or the second best league in the world.

Overkamp is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 02:07 AM
  #482
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
He wasn't playing with high end talent on the third and fourth lines..he also wasn't playing in juniors or minors. He was playing in a mens league, or the second best league in the world.
Especially the end of last season. He was getting next to no ice time once he was traded to SKA on the fourth line with subpar linemates and still was the leading scorer in the playoffs before his team was eliminated. I think he still finished top 5 in playoff scoring despite a 3rd round exit.

Hitch has given every indication that he will get a chance to play quite a bit. He's starting on a line with our best playmaker, Andy McDonald, and one of our better defensive forwards, Alex Steen. This definitely isn't set in stone for the entire season, but that's what he's going to start with. Playing with Andy should really help him. I also expect him to be on the PP because he is one of our most skilled forwards, and he's proven in the KHL that when he has space, he scores. PP gives him some more space. I think he'll put up around 20-25 points in the regular season, and have a very solid playoffs. He might put up more, he might put up less, but I think .5PPG is right around where he'll settle in for the year. Next year, it should increase as he becomes accustomed to his linemates, ice size, system etc.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 02:35 AM
  #483
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kemerovo, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
I'm confident in Tarasenko's success. As a skilled versatile goalscorer he benefits from playing with good linemates, but also can create chances by himself and is decent as a PP finisher. I also think that he's sensitive to coach's trust, and looks like Hitchcock believes in Vova.
I'd expect something like 17 goals, 15 assists for him.


Acallabeth is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 03:03 AM
  #484
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,025
vCash: 500
I think too many fans severely overstate Hitchcock's "system." Some people make it out like every forward must play like a defenseman or they're benched for eternity. Then why do Perron and McDonald get so much icetime?

In fact, Tarasenko does exactly what Hitchcock preaches: get the puck on net. Hitch loves speed and lots of shots, which Tarasenko provides and then some. Steen and McDonald get between 14 and 15 even-strength minutes a game and are among the Blues' best conditioned forwards. If Hitchcock is confident enough to put Tarasenko on a line with them, that means Hitch intends to play him for the same amount of time.

rumrokh is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 03:28 AM
  #485
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Ill Side
Country: United States
Posts: 8,878
vCash: 500
I'll be at the training camp Sunday and if they allow it, I'll use my new camera.

CarvinSigX is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 04:17 AM
  #486
Oshie97
Registered User
 
Oshie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,452
vCash: 500
I think Tarasenko will fit into Hitchcock's system just fine. With Steen and McDonald he will have plenty of skill and leadership to help him adapt to the NHL, I don't think he will score ton right off the bat but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 30 pt season from him.

Oshie97 is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 06:11 AM
  #487
Paxton Fettel
Registered User
 
Paxton Fettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,203
vCash: 500
he's a bust for sure (see : Russian)

Paxton Fettel is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 06:54 AM
  #488
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Tarasenko had played 4+ years in the KHL, a boy playing with men. I see 30 points and in the running for the Calder Memorial Trophy.

JustOneB4IDie is offline  
Old
01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
  #489
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think he is about as talented a forward st. Louis has had in a long time. That being said i dont know how he fits into Hitchcock's system. His system is greater than any 1 individual.
He should fit in really well. He works hard, is very direct, plays physically and doesn't hide from the defensive side of the game, eve if he isn't great at it!

How much time will he get? He will be on a line with McDonald and Steen, which some will say is our "third line"; we roll 3 lines and that should translate to around 15 minutes a game. It is certainly a scoring line, so he has every chance to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
You can't call him one dimensional, but he is a clear cut goal scorer(from around the net most of the time). That means he thrives when put on a scoring line with skilled linemates as could be seen in Novosibirsk when he played on the 1st line and with SKA on the line with Kovalchuk. He couldn't find his stride though on the national team under Billyaletdinov who preaches a similar style like Hitchcock. Responsible two way game is expected from forwards, lines are pretty balanced. Once on the national team Tarasenko couldn't really perform not being the 1st liner with a pretty long leash. It will be interesting to see how he responds to Hitchcock's system.
Fair enough to give Tarasenko some criticism for his performances with the National team, but he certainly doesn't need "first liner" teammates to be effective. As pointed out, he was playing on the 3rd/4th line for SKA in the playoffs last season and put up 10-6-16 in 15 games and was the top SKA scorer. Of course, like any scoring forward, he performs better with better players around him.

Alklha is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:11 AM
  #490
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.
 
moolah3i4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Pure monster! Enough said, playing with Amac, and Steen he will produce!

moolah3i4 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:17 AM
  #491
Kingler
 
Kingler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Most likely scenario, he stumbles out the gate and will be called a bust by summer. Then he will come back strong next season and have a good year in 13-14 and will be immediately named perennial all-star by HF

Kingler is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
  #492
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin
 
Follower of Yzlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 12,188
vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Most likely scenario, he stumbles out the gate and will be called a bust by summer. Then he will come back strong next season and have a good year in 13-14 and will be immediately named perennial all-star by HF
Stamkos syndrome.

Follower of Yzlam is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
  #493
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
H
Fair enough to give Tarasenko some criticism for his performances with the National team, but he certainly doesn't need "first liner" teammates to be effective. As pointed out, he was playing on the 3rd/4th line for SKA in the playoffs last season and put up 10-6-16 in 15 games and was the top SKA scorer. Of course, like any scoring forward, he performs better with better players around him.
A lot of selective judgement I see here. Ppl like to overlook his regular season 0.6PPG with SKA a year ago. But that's exactly what I'm trying to tell here. He was a PPG man again this year with Kovalchuk. I see him somewhere inbetween with STL. Taras will benefit from the depth STL has. McD and Steen are definitely a luxury a lot of rookies won't have in their first NHL game.

Atas2000 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:22 PM
  #494
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
A lot of selective judgement I see here. Ppl like to overlook his regular season 0.6PPG with SKA a year ago. But that's exactly what I'm trying to tell here. He was a PPG man again this year with Kovalchuk. I see him somewhere inbetween with STL. Taras will benefit from the depth STL has. McD and Steen are definitely a luxury a lot of rookies won't have in their first NHL game.
Maybe people overlook his "regular season .6 PPG" because it's a tiny sample size. 9 points in 15 games. He gets 3 more points, and he's a .8 player for the "season". He was a PPG player before he was traded and was given a decent amount of ice time. He was also above a PPG during the playoffs from the fourth line, where the competition level would be at it's highest. 15 games=/= A season.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
01-14-2013, 02:35 PM
  #495
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Most likely scenario, he stumbles out the gate and will be called a bust by summer. Then he will come back strong next season and have a good year in 13-14 and will be immediately named perennial all-star by HF
It certainly is possible. With only a week for training camp, and no exhibition games, it could take Tarasenko a while to adjust to the NHL. 12 games will be 1/4 of the season, and if he is still stuggling at that point it could start to get into his head.

Factor in the hype train surround the guy, and it seems like if he doesn't make top 5 in Calder voting he will be called a bust.

Then, with an offseason in St. Louis, and a full training camp, preseason schedule, and 48+ NHL games under his belt, his talent shows through next season.

I never really thought of it like that, but now that you mention it, it is probably a more likely scenario than most Blues fans, myself included, would care to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
Stamkos syndrome.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Well played sir, well played. Great description, I'm going to have to remember that one for any future player that fits the scenario.

bluemandan is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
  #496
Hockeysemin
Registered User
 
Hockeysemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 500
Congrats on his first NHL goal in first game today against Detroit

Hockeysemin is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 09:16 PM
  #497
Hockeysemin
Registered User
 
Hockeysemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 500
Wow tarasenko just scored amazing goal !!!

Hockeysemin is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 09:19 PM
  #498
Stang
Registered User
 
Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulle View Post
Wow tarasenko just scored amazing goal !!!
Which one?

Stang is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 09:51 PM
  #499
Hockeysemin
Registered User
 
Hockeysemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 500
First goal in NHL



Second goal in NHL


Hockeysemin is offline  
Old
01-19-2013, 09:57 PM
  #500
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,430
vCash: 500
Beast mode, people called me crazy for drafting him high in my fantasy league

topchowda is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.