HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Vladimir Tarasenko

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Grigo25*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
And you say this based on what, exactly?
insider knowledge actually

Old
12-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Grigo25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Sure, there is a chance he will remain in the KHL next season. About a 5-10% chance, at best, though.

Both Vova and his father have made it clear they see his future in the NHL and the Blues will have a 1 way contract on the table for him.
that's literally impossible. All entry level deals are two-way.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
UkraineTrain

The reason he stays in the KHL for this season is opportunity to play under his father's coaching. That "reason" was fired yesterday.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigo25 View Post
Which makes me wonder: has there ever been a prospect who attended his own draft-selection, met regularly with hockey ops staff from his drafting-club, always showed excitement about going to the NHL, but didn't actually come over?

I know there's always the chance that he just refuses to come over, but the St. Louis Blues and Vladimir Tarasenko are so tight that he might as well be picking his number for next season.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigo25* View Post
I doubt anything is in stone this early. So it's hardly possible. Common sense speaks Sibir doesn't have enough money to sign him for more. Some KHL teams could pay him more than Blues, but it's hard to believe he will leave Sibir for any KHL team.

But I think there could be some attempts to urge him to stay in Russia untill the Olympic. Mostly on account of NHL is still uncertain whether it allows players to go to Sochi or not. This is a big politics, and for any Russian player Olympics (especially being in Russia) means a lot.

Last edited by Kshahdoo: 12-08-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old
12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Fulcrum

I don't know, didn't Grachev get sent down? I cringe at the idea of Tarasenko being molded into Hitchkock hockey.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I don't know, didn't Grachev get sent down? I cringe at the idea of Tarasenko being molded into Hitchkock hockey.
Grachev isn't Tarasenko considering a talent level though.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Grachev isn't Tarasenko considering a talent level though.
Didn't say he was, I was talking about playing style.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Didn't say he was, I was talking about playing style.
Grachev has had trouble finding his scoring touch, just needs to spend some time in the AHL to find his game, nothing to do with Hitchcock.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:51 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
wowww .... dylan mcilrath woohoooo
Coffee almost came out of my nose.

Old
12-08-2011, 06:40 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Tarasenko already plays Hitchcock style to an extent. He's a very defensively responsible player. Grachev just didn't fit in the Blues top 9 right now. He's better off getting top line minutes in the AHL to find his scoring.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:32 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
I've seen you refer to Hitch not liking Russian players a few times now so I figure you might be interested in the following. Jeremy Rutherford is the Blues main beat writer and here was take from a week ago.

Quote:
Mark: JR, when Grachev is ready to come off of IR, where do you think he ends up – in the lineup, in the pressbox or in Peoria? To me, it seems like his spot was taken by Sterling and with Perron also apparently close to returning, I could easily see Grachev being sent to Peoria. What do you think?

Secondary question – does Hitch really hate Russians or is that blown out of proportion? I would think it’s blown out of proportion but it’s hard to not notice that of the 2 Russians on the roster when Hitch arrived, 1 was traded and the other lost his roster spot within days of Hitch’s arrival.

Jeremy Rutherford:
I think Grachev could be headed to Peoria. Although Sterling is playing out of position, he has given the Blues a bit more speed on that fourth line.

Hitch's relationship with Russians is way overblown. In fact, I don't know that there's even a small issue. He's had great relationship with good Russian players who are good people, and he's had strenuous relationships with Russian players who had checkered pasts to begin with.

Read more: http://interact.stltoday.com/discuss...#ixzz1g05knHbf

Old
01-09-2012, 02:52 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Just now:

Quote:
@AlexSerenRosso So, in Russia they say Tarasenko was traded to Dynamo Moscow. Truth or not? #StlBlues If he gets traded I think he'll go to NHL this summer

Old
01-13-2012, 10:05 AM
World Is Not Phaneuf

Sibir has traded Tarasenko to SKA St.Petersburg.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ru%2F6253.html

Old
01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Fulcrum

I think it's good trade for Tarasenko. He can really flourish this year in SKA. It's also a great club with great organization. If he was to ever stay in Russia for another year or so, SKA would be the most convincing club.

Last edited by Fulcrum: 01-13-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old
01-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Normally, Russian players who play Russian style find themselves in Hitchcock's dog house at the first possible opportunity. When Hitchcock won the Stanley Cup with Dallas in 1999, there were about 90 Russian players in the NHL (compared to about 28 today). Dallas only had one Russian player (Sergei Zubov), and had a strong reputation for preferring grinding type players (Carbonneau, Verbeek) to more finesse-style players. A lot of popular mythology in those days said that you couldn't build a winning team around Russian players, although Scotty Bowman had an altogether different outlook.

Old
01-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Grachev has had trouble finding his scoring touch, just needs to spend some time in the AHL to find his game, nothing to do with Hitchcock.
A fair question is: does playing against lower level competition make your game better or worse? Because there is a very little high level talent in the AHL, teams play more of a muck and grind style to entertain the fans, and muck and grind is a feature that does not emphasize the kind of talents that players like Grachev have. Too often, Russian players who go to the AHL are out of hockey altogether within 3 years.

Old
01-13-2012, 11:16 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
A fair question is: does playing against lower level competition make your game better or worse? Because there is a very little high level talent in the AHL, teams play more of a muck and grind style to entertain the fans, and muck and grind is a feature that does not emphasize the kind of talents that players like Grachev have. Too often, Russian players who go to the AHL are out of hockey altogether within 3 years.
I think ice time trumps the competition level in this case. If you're asking a more general question as to whether it's better to play a regular shift (say 15 minutes/game + 2nd unit PP time) in a good league as opposed to being an all-star in a lesser league, I don't know where the cutoff is.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Normally, Russian players who play Russian style find themselves in Hitchcock's dog house at the first possible opportunity. When Hitchcock won the Stanley Cup with Dallas in 1999, there were about 90 Russian players in the NHL (compared to about 28 today). Dallas only had one Russian player (Sergei Zubov), and had a strong reputation for preferring grinding type players (Carbonneau, Verbeek) to more finesse-style players. A lot of popular mythology in those days said that you couldn't build a winning team around Russian players, although Scotty Bowman had an altogether different outlook.
What is you're point about Hitchcock only having one Russian on his Stanley Cup team? Are you trying to say he personally made an effort to keep any other Russians off the team? And funny you mention Scotty Bowman because he is actually Hitchcock's idol and who he tries to model himself after. Linked is an audio clip with a recent interview of Scotty Bowman in St.Louis with Bowman giving Hitchcock credit as an evolving coach in the new NHL and describing how they both have similarities. Clearly, you don't know as much about Hitchcock as you seem to claim. This notion that he hates Russian players is just plain ridiculous. If you're "doghouse" comment was referring to the ordeal in Columbus with Filatov...then again you are just wrong. First of all there were tons of contract disagreements between his KHL and NHL clubs regarding Filatov playing in North America in the first place. Second, he never played in North America and being that he was only 18 it was ideal that Filatov begin his NA career by playing in the AHL. Lastly, his second season he was given an opportunity to play in the NHL, but HE chose to leave after only 20 or so games. And you may blame that on Hitchcock, but the fact is he is having the same problem "making it" in the NHL in Ottawa(one of the most offensive talented teams in the league) that he had in Columbus.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/?podcast...l&dcid=CBS.STL

Old
01-13-2012, 12:39 PM
h22prelude93

BTW with Tarasenko signing with SKA are we really at any more risk than we were before(with him being with Sibir the club that he called "his team")? I'm sure the 'elite' status teams of the KHL planned on throwing him offers either way. He's either coming to the NHL, or he isn't...and all signs so far point to that he is.

Old
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
BTW with Tarasenko signing with SKA are we really at any more risk than we were before(with him being with Sibir the club that he called "his team")? I'm sure the 'elite' status teams of the KHL planned on throwing him offers either way. He's either coming to the NHL, or he isn't...and all signs so far point to that he is.
I'm pretty sure he'll still come next year. But SKA IS the most attractive KHL club, if there is one to him.

Old
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I've seen you refer to Hitch not liking Russian players a few times now so I figure you might be interested in the following. Jeremy Rutherford is the Blues main beat writer and here was take from a week ago.
As for the question of Hitchcock's relationship with Russians, which is an issue that goes back to the 1990's, I don't think a beat writer is in a position to tell the true story, if in fact there was a story to tell. Beat writers have to cultivate at least some good will with the teams they cover, so he is not likely to pick a fight with Ken Hitchcock over Russian hockey players, mainly because no one in St. Louis is really going to shed a tear for the plight of Russians. His tenure with the Dallas Stars was even more controversial regarding Russians, since he allegedly maintained a "no Russians" policy. A negative attitude by a coach has a tremendous effect on whether players succeed or fail, and nobody has the capability of being more negative than Ken Hitchcock.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:20 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
As for the question of Hitchcock's relationship with Russians, which is an issue that goes back to the 1990's, I don't think a beat writer is in a position to tell the true story, if in fact there was a story to tell. Beat writers have to cultivate at least some good will with the teams they cover, so he is not likely to pick a fight with Ken Hitchcock over Russian hockey players, mainly because no one in St. Louis is really going to shed a tear for the plight of Russians. His tenure with the Dallas Stars was even more controversial regarding Russians, since he allegedly maintained a "no Russians" policy. A negative attitude by a coach has a tremendous effect on whether players succeed or fail, and nobody has the capability of being more negative than Ken Hitchcock.
Zubov was a huge part of the Dallas Stars team coached be Hitchcock. He is also Russian. Tarasenko plays a ver disciplined game. His game translates well into what Hitchcock wants out of a player. I could see it being and issue if Tarasenko didn't already play in a disciplined system for his father.

Old
01-13-2012, 07:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Anyone suggesting Tarasenko would be in Hitchcock's "doghouse" is clueless. Period.

Old
01-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Anyone suggesting Tarasenko would be in Hitchcock's "doghouse" is clueless. Period.
This.

Maybe watch how Tarasenko plays and watch a few Blues games... Tarasenko is the type of player that fits perfectly into how Hitchcock wants the game played. If the suggestion is that Hitchcock will have a problem with him simply because he is Russian, that might be insulting if it wasn't so moronic.

As for his chances of coming over next season, I think it has basically been guaranteed with him leaving Novosibirsk. Money doesn't seem like it is this kids motivation.

Closed Thread