HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Helminen

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Tjan9

vCash: 500
Helminen

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with a rumor I've been hearing around here in Ann Arbor, that the Rangers have offered Dwight Helminen a contract? Has anyone heard anything about it? Thanks for any information!

Old
07-29-2004, 12:09 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjan9
Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with a rumor I've been hearing around here in Ann Arbor, that the Rangers have offered Dwight Helminen a contract? Has anyone heard anything about it? Thanks for any information!
Yea I heard that rumor too, I hope he signs. Id like to see him in Hartford then reunited with Ortmeyer in the future as the top pk for the Rangers.

Old
07-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Tjan9

I was looking forward to seeing Dewey with Jed also- but I thought it'd be later than sooner! I hate to lose Dewey here....

Old
07-29-2004, 12:29 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
I was looking forward to seeing Dewey with Jed also- but I thought it'd be later than sooner! I hate to lose Dewey here....

U guys still have Jeff Tambellini or will he be leaving to sign with the Kings? Have u heard anything? I think kings should sign him. I feel he will be a solid 2 way player.

Old
07-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Tjan9

Tamby

No, I don't think Tamby is going anywhere. As talented as he is, he had a pretty mediocre season, and I don't think he's quite ready to make the jump with the Kings yet.
Tambellini is good, but I think the departure of Dewey will leave a bigger hole because he's such the complete player. If he does go, the Rangers will be getting a great player- great play-maker, and my god, he's one of the best pkers out there.
Here we were all worried that Monty was the one that was going to leave us for the Rangers, and as soon as he relieved us, the Dewey rumors started.

Old
07-29-2004, 12:58 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
No, I don't think Tamby is going anywhere. As talented as he is, he had a pretty mediocre season, and I don't think he's quite ready to make the jump with the Kings yet.
Tambellini is good, but I think the departure of Dewey will leave a bigger hole because he's such the complete player. If he does go, the Rangers will be getting a great player- great play-maker, and my god, he's one of the best pkers out there.
Here we were all worried that Monty was the one that was going to leave us for the Rangers, and as soon as he relieved us, the Dewey rumors started.
I see why Sather got Helminen from Edmonton in the Nedved deal. He played with Ortmeyer on the PK in school. I think Helminen and Ortmeyer can be the Rangers top pk in 2 years or so.

Old
07-29-2004, 02:16 PM
dumpsathernow*

He is a player that probably should finish college. He isn't a big player and his game resolves around speed and smart. That is completely different from a Taylor or Jessiiman who are going to be challenged each night by tougher players in the league. Madden didn't have to learn how to stand in front, take cross checks, send messages to players taking cheap shots at him. Jessiman and Taylor do. The AHL is a good place to start that training.

Old
07-29-2004, 02:22 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackisback
He is a player that probably should finish college. He isn't a big player and his game resolves around speed and smart. That is completely different from a Taylor or Jessiiman who are going to be challenged each night by tougher players in the league. Madden didn't have to learn how to stand in front, take cross checks, send messages to players taking cheap shots at him. Jessiman and Taylor do. The AHL is a good place to start that training.
can Helminen play for the rangers this fall? or is that a longshot?

Old
07-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Tjan9

i don't think so. he's good but he's not quite there yet. like blackisback said, he's a small guy, so could use some more strength before he hits the big show. he's quick and smart, and i think at least a year in the minors will only help him grow as a player.
but until i see an official announcement, i'm going to cross my fingers he stays at michigan.

Old
07-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Fish

There was some speculation printed in the Hartford Courant some time back (May, June?) that the Rangers were looking at signing Helminen. Not much from the media that covers the Rangers though...

Old
07-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Edge

Dwight plays a smart game and though i think he needs some AHL time, i wouldnt be shocked to see him sooner rather than later.

Sometimes a player has to bring the right energy and smarts to the ice and to get a shot. I mean let's be honest, no one expected Ortmeyer to step up the way he did last season.

You look at a guy like Marchant who never really got a lot bigger or stronger, but his speed and smarts transformed him from a 20 year old later pick in 1993 to playing his first NHL game a year later and going onto fulltime duty.

I think depth players are easy to adjust than say a kid like Jessiman who is expected to be a cornerstone for whom the Rangers won't be happy just getting a "nice" player out of.

Of course anything can happen, but I will say that I wouldn't bet against it just yet.

Old
07-29-2004, 06:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Hit the books Dewey

Old
07-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
You look at a guy like Marchant who never really got a lot bigger or stronger, but his speed and smarts transformed him from a 20 year old later pick in 1993 to playing his first NHL game a year later and going onto fulltime duty.
The Marchant/Helminen comparison is right on the money!

Old
07-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Tjan9

Well I guess it's official now. I'm sad to see him go, but I wish him the best of luck with NY. Take good care of him!!

http://www.mlive.com/sports/aanews/i...9889592430.xml

Old
07-30-2004, 12:25 PM
SpaceGhost79

Bad to see Helminen leave A2 from this Wolverine fan. I think the AHL is in his immediate future, lockout or not lockout. As said, he's not a big guy and needs more time to develop. He's fast and a very good two-way player.

Michael Spath over at TheWolverine.com said that academics played an issue in his decision to leave. So perhaps it was in his best interest if he knew he was going to be ineligible his senior year. Helminen was benched for a weekend a year or two ago by Berenson so he could catch up on his academics, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if that's what happened.

Old
08-01-2004, 03:23 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost79
Michael Spath over at TheWolverine.com said that academics played an issue in his decision to leave. So perhaps it was in his best interest if he knew he was going to be ineligible his senior year. Helminen was benched for a weekend a year or two ago by Berenson so he could catch up on his academics, so I wouldn't be totally surprised if that's what happened.
That would make more sense, Helminen is a guy that should be a 4 year NCAA player, he still had room to grow offensively there.

Closed Thread