HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[MIN] Mike Lundin signs with Wild (1yr - 1 mil.)

Old
07-09-2011, 09:10 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
As a wild fan I hear "good defensively" and breath a sigh of relief. Soft? Wish it weren't so but we really needed someone who was good positionally. Can't wait to see who he's paired with. Some wild fans are expecting he'll have to fight for a spot with some of our prospects, but honestly if he's as universally well regarded (defensively) as he is in Tampa I don't see how he won't make the team.
He'll make the team... where it comes into question is whether Scandella makes the team. If Scandella makes the team, then Lundin is more likely a bottom pairing guy. If Scandella doesn't make the team, then Lundin will be in the 2nd pairing.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:28 PM
TOML

Remembering when Lundin was TB's so-called 'shutdown' guy...

Yeah. Could've been a reason why they were well out of the playoffs at the time.

3rd pair plug.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:30 PM
sonny side up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post

Yeah. Could've been a reason why they were well out of the playoffs at the time.

3rd pair plug.
Pretty much sums up my opinion of him. He's a nice guy, but really, I'm glad he is gone. He's too weak for my liking for where we needed him (top 4). I would have been fine with him coming back if he bulked up a bit.

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post
Pretty much sums up my opinion of him. He's a nice guy, but really, I'm glad he is gone. He's too weak for my liking for where we needed him (top 4). I would have been fine with him coming back if he bulked up a bit.
For sure. I'd much rather have Bruno frickin Gervais or MAB in the lineup over Lundin.

The Lightning are significantly weaker on D without Lundin in the lineup.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:49 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Yeah, you have issues if you have to play MAB more as a result! We don't miss him at all!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Timmy Thomas 77

all ive heard from tampa fans is how good he is defensively and then how he is just a 6th/7th type defenseman which comparison is more realistic?

Timmy Thomas 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:20 AM
Paralyzer008

He can skate pretty good and he is a smart guy who is almost mistake-free. He is also good at moving the puck, although his numbers don't reflect that, not the worst first pass in the world. Isn't small either. Why is he not back in TB? Little offense, was soft, and he got beat a lot by big guys in the corners. Still a solid pickup for Minny.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:25 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post

3rd pair plug.
Not really, he was our 'shutdown guy' this season, 3rd in avg TOI behind Brewer and Hedman, averaging 20+ minutes a night and 2:30+PK time a game.

He is a defensive defenseman that isnt physical, hard to find a niche with that game, imo he is definetly a top 4 dman/

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:55 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Anyone saying they'd rather have MAB/Gervais/Gilroy over Lundin is drinking a little too heavily from the Yzerman can do no wrong kool-aid. Lundin is top-4 material and a great addition. He was a shutdown Dman when asked to be before Brewer arrived. He can stand to bulk up but I wouldn't exactly call him soft. He doesn't need to play a physical game because he's very sound defensively. But if Minny can get him to hit the weights and play with an edge, he'll be a hot commodity come next offseason.

snowden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:06 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Anyone saying they'd rather have MAB/Gervais/Gilroy over Lundin is drinking a little too heavily from the Yzerman can do no wrong kool-aid. Lundin is top-4 material and a great addition. He was a shutdown Dman when asked to be before Brewer arrived. He can stand to bulk up but I wouldn't exactly call him soft. He doesn't need to play a physical game because he's very sound defensively. But if Minny can get him to hit the weights and play with an edge, he'll be a hot commodity come next offseason.
They're kidding.

I like this signing for the Wild. With Hannan and McCabe still out there I forgot about Lundin being on the market still. He was probably the best younger defenseman out there so good for the Wild that they got him. $1M is a bargain. Even if he's only a very good bottom-pairing guy for them, having a steady defensive defenseman capable of filling in in the top 4 is nice to have on any team. It sounds like if Lundin gets to the gym this summer he's got room to get even better. He's certainly young enough to still have potential if he adds to his build.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:53 AM
OG Kuch

Looks like a steal for the Wild. Lundin is soft, there's no doubt about it, but I'm sure he's been working hard to gain some strength and will show some improvement in that area next season. He is very positionally sound and is a good skater with a decent first pass. He's definitely a defense first type of defenseman, and he was almost always matched up with the opposing teams' best players. He struggled a bit against some crash and bang lines in the playoffs, but he's reliable when he's out there against skilled forwards.

For 1 mil, I really like this signing.

OG Kuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:57 AM
pbunder

He seems to be a second Nick Schultz if he would get stronger. Accurate?

pbunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Strengths: Plays very positionally sound. Doesn't let guys beat him wide often, if at all. Blocks shots fairly well. Very intelligent player. Good first pass and mobility but has little PP experience and probably shouldn't until his shot becomes more of a threat.

Weaknesses: Has a habit of turtling in the corner if he feels pressure coming on. Instead of absorbing a hit, traps the puck in his feet and turns his back to a forechecker and lets himself get pinned in. Once pinned, isn't strong enough to work his way out of the corner. Not physical at all, doesn't hit.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

I like the signing for the Wild. Always kinds liked Lundin and thought he could develop into a solid D-man like a Mark Eaton or something. Not a bad pick up for the Wild IMO.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:29 PM
deflowd

Why did Tampa switch from Lundin to Gervais? Looks like a bizarre move to me.

deflowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Fraction Jackson

I kind of wish we'd have picked him up if he was available for $1M. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
IKEA

good deal for minny! with it's recent offensive acquisitions, depth on D is obviously needed to make a push for the top eight.

Surprised he was let go in favor of MAB

IKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:29 PM
OG Kuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsuk View Post
good deal for minny! with it's recent offensive acquisitions, depth on D is obviously needed to make a push for the top eight.

Surprised he was let go in favor of MAB
It had nothing to do with preferring Bergeron over Lundin.

OG Kuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
I will say this about MAB over Lundin, though... MAB brought it pretty well in the playoffs. Showed a bit of a mean streak, laying some decent hits down and even getting into a fight, and played pretty well defensively. First time I've seen him in awhile where he wasn't a defensive liability. That might be the reason why the Lightning decided to keep him.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's funny the Wild picked him up as they have a couple defensive D-men who are not overly physical (Schultz, Zanon). We also have Scandella, Brodin, and Cuma who are defensive prospects that aren't overly physical.

Either way, seems like a good pickup. Great upside and low risk. Could actually be a part of the team past this year, especially if (or more likely when) some guys get moved.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Question for fans of teams that aren't the Wild. Do you think the Wild got a bit of a hometown discount? I haven't really seen much of Lundin.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:31 PM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Question for fans of teams that aren't the Wild. Do you think the Wild got a bit of a hometown discount? I haven't really seen much of Lundin.
If you had asked me before the season ended "What will Lundin get on his next deal?" I would have guessed 2-3 years in the $1.5-2M per range.

I think the 'discount' you got him for has more to do with lack of interest across the league, though I do think his decision to go there was influenced by the hometown affiliation.

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote