HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
jeremywilhelm

vCash: 500
Grimaldi looked pretty damn good this game, but glad he was off the line the last couple games. JT Miller and Vesey learned quickly to just give the puck to Gaudreau in the O-zone and get open for him.

The kids size actually makes it easier for him to get to the open areas of the ice and his agility is probably his greatest strength.

Flames need a home run badly at this point, hopefully this kid is it.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
JT Miller and Vesey learned quickly to just give the puck to Gaudreau in the O-zone and get open for him.
Is that how he looked against Canada? Every game I've watched (DVR'd that game for tonight) Gaudreau has been more of a 'right place, right time' kind of guy. He hasn't blown me away with his puck skills moreso just simply impressed me by knowing where to be to make the 'easy' play.

In fact, against the Czechs he had two fortunate bounces due to being in the right place, leading to virtually empty netters (still a good shot) and the third goal was an excellent cross ice feed from I believe Miller.

Also think Grimaldi gets unfair blame, he was puck hounding it very well before being benched.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Is that how he looked against Canada? Every game I've watched (DVR'd that game for tonight) Gaudreau has been more of a 'right place, right time' kind of guy. He hasn't blown me away with his puck skills moreso just simply impressed me by knowing where to be to make the 'easy' play.

In fact, against the Czechs he had two fortunate bounces due to being in the right place, leading to virtually empty netters (still a good shot) and the third goal was an excellent cross ice feed from I believe Miller.

Also think Grimaldi gets unfair blame, he was puck hounding it very well before being benched.
Many of his goals this tourney have been right place-right time goals.

The toe drag and shot to the top corner on the 2 on 2 today was beautiful though.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:

He's not in the right place at the right time by accident. Knowing where to be to make the easy play is what defines great players.

Gaudreau has really good skills with the puck, to be sure, but his ability to disappear in coverage and then be exactly where he needs to be to finish the play is something you cannot teach.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor10 View Post
He's not in the right place at the right time by accident. Knowing where to be to make the easy play is what defines great players.

Gaudreau has really good skills with the puck, to be sure, but his ability to disappear in coverage and then be exactly where he needs to be to finish the play is something you cannot teach.
Never meant to imply that and did say I was impressed by that aspect of him. I just find him less spectacular for his puck skills and more of an intelligent player. Which is usually a good thing too, players lauded for their puck skills tend to lack in the IQ area, whereas I see the opposite watching Gaudreau's offensive positioning.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Grimaldi looked pretty damn good this game, but glad he was off the line the last couple games. JT Miller and Vesey learned quickly to just give the puck to Gaudreau in the O-zone and get open for him.

The kids size actually makes it easier for him to get to the open areas of the ice and his agility is probably his greatest strength.

Flames need a home run badly at this point, hopefully this kid is it.
After the Flames drafted him, the Boston Bruins lamented publicly they didn't take him earlier (<3rd Round). Don't be fooled by his size. His speed, skill, and hockey sense are off the charts.

Last edited by flameaholic: 01-03-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 01:31 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1975 View Post
I know this is HF Boards so hyperbole is at a premium, but I think Gaudreau may have the best hockey IQ/sense of any US player since Brett Hull. I'm not sure about P. Kane. In fact, the only US players I can think of that may have had better hockey IQ/sense are Hull and Leetch.

Whether physically he can play in the NHL is the only question.
I made this comment a couple of months ago and it got ignored. I wonder how many will agree with me now.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Never meant to imply that and did say I was impressed by that aspect of him. I just find him less spectacular for his puck skills and more of an intelligent player. Which is usually a good thing too, players lauded for their puck skills tend to lack in the IQ area, whereas I see the opposite watching Gaudreau's offensive positioning.
My opinion of watching him in this tourney is that he is gifted with elite puck skills, hockey IQ and vision. It is rare to have the ability to buy yourself time with the puck and feather passes constantly into dangerous places as well as be able to get behind the defense for breakaways or get loose in the offensive zone to finish loose pucks. The swedish announcers compared his puck skills to datsyuk bunt he reminds me so much of Patrick Kane.

I hope the kid can add some muscles and improve his skating a bit because I'd love to see him play in the NHL. He's so much fun to watch.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
I made this comment a couple of months ago and it got ignored. I wonder how many will agree with me now.
His hockey IQ is obviously very high. He may be one of the little guys that does succeed. I think saying his IQ is the highest since Leetch and Hull is a stretch. Is his IQ better than current stars like Parise, Kane, Statsny and Ryan Suter? Or what about past players like Doug Weight and Mike Modano?

Big shoes to fill that kind of statement.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
jeremywilhelm

Quote:

I saw, specifically on the power play, but alot on the cycle, that Johnny would shy away from the boards and move behind the net, and wait for Miller and Vesey to work the puck to him, this is what I meant by "just give the puck to Gaudreau" probably didn't come across properly. What I like about this strategy for the kid is, it keeps him from playing a physical game, which is is woefully inadequate at doing. Alot of the cycles ended up with Gaudreau standing behind or to one side of the net and distributing the puck for scoring chances. For all the goals he has, he is unlucky to not have 5 or 6 assists on top of them.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:09 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Respect. Thanks to your comment and some more reading up on Gaudreau I managed to get him in a trade in a hockey simulation game before the world juniors. He's a joy to watch. I'd love to get some more advice from you on other overachieving prospects watch out for some pm's

Old
01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Dude is so sick

Old
01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

vCash: 50
Johnnnnnnnnny

Old
01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

He's sick but I see him as a career AHL'er, should he choose the professional route. He's just too small.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
He's sick but I see him as a career AHL'er, should he choose the professional route. He's just too small.
He's 5'9". Tyler Ennis is the exact same size as him and he seems to be doing fine

Old
01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
As a Habs fan, he reminds me a lot of David Desharnais. They share many of the same qualities and faults. That being said, what enables Desharnais to be successful in the NHL that Gaudreau has yet to develop is lower body strength. You need to be able to buy yourself some time and space in the NHL to play the type of game that they both play. Agility goes a long way, but you still need to be able to spin/bounce off checks to buy yourself that extra second or two and let the play develop, and he has struggled in this aspect of the game in this tournament against players his own age. He has his work cut out for him, but it's not impossible.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
His hockey IQ is obviously very high. He may be one of the little guys that does succeed. I think saying his IQ is the highest since Leetch and Hull is a stretch. Is his IQ better than current stars like Parise, Kane, Statsny and Ryan Suter? Or what about past players like Doug Weight and Mike Modano?

Big shoes to fill that kind of statement.
Why not? Are you rejecting the claim because you find it hard to believe?

Old
01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Thanks for your posts. I find myself agreeing with you. I think his puck still are still above average (I know you didn't say they aren't.) and can have his moments where he mesmerizes his opponents.

All in all, I hope he finishes this U20 & NCAA season strong. He has a bright future ahead of him.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Leafs03

Hes way to small for nhl. I bet you that he wont make it to the nhl.. people use other small nhl players for example but really how many of them are in the nhl??? a few.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
He's 5'9". Tyler Ennis is the exact same size as him and he seems to be doing fine
The odds are heavily against any player that size. For every player that makes it, 100 don't.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
The odds are heavily against any player that size. For every player that makes it, 100 don't.
none of those 100 have the talent of Gaudreau.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Hes way to small for nhl. I bet you that he wont make it to the nhl.. people use other small nhl players for example but really how many of them are in the nhl??? a few.
Thanks. Close thread/

_______

He's 19. He's young, and still growing into his frame. He will put on muscle mass. Yes, it is more difficult for smaller players to make the NHL, but it's not impossible. Where Johnny lacks for size, he more than makes up for in Hockey IQ and skill.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:17 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
He's not 5'9". The Flames website lists him as 5'6", HF lists him at 5'7", and BC/IIHF list him at 5'8". I'd say he's 5'7" at the most.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
He's not 5'9". The Flames website lists him as 5'6", HF lists him at 5'7", and BC/IIHF list him at 5'8". I'd say he's 5'7" at the most.
I think he's 5'7 too. maybe 5'7 1/2. I highly doubt he's 5'9 seeing him out there... Though, you'd think BC would have the most accurate/up to date measurements?

Old
01-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

He's awesome, he really reminds me of Ennis a lot with a better shot. So fun to watch him play.

Closed Thread