HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Ubercron9000*

vCash: 500
if he trains hard enough he can make it. dehairnais is 5`6 no? Went undrafted and put up 60 or so points. If john is dedicated he will train and get stronger and better. It is up to a team to give him a chance to play.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:32 PM
jeremywilhelm

Growth spurt. Hilarious.

Old
01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
ZenMaster*

He will be a superstar....in the AHL. He is not built for the NHL, especially in the Western Conference with likes of LA Kings that suffocate you with size. Today's NHL is about puck protection, getting in front of the net, and down-low board play. Rarely do you see plays that manifest by deking a few guys and sniping it on a rush which is what Gaudreau is good at, he would be destroyed against the boards.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
He will be a superstar....in the AHL. He is not built for the NHL, especially in the Western Conference with likes of LA Kings that suffocate you with size. Today's NHL is about puck protection, getting in front of the net, and down-low board play. Rarely do you see plays that manifest by deking a few guys and sniping it on a rush which is what Gaudreau is good at, he would be destroyed against the boards.
Great players always find a way. I'm not worried. This kid will make the NHL.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:07 PM
smitty10

He really needs to work on his skating if he's to make the NHL. I think that's more of his issue than size. Many small players can overcome size issues. Skating, though correctable, will make or break him as an NHLer.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:08 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Great players always find a way. I'm not worried. This kid will make the NHL.
I wouldn't consider him a 'great player'..

Old
01-03-2013, 11:12 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

He is currently a "great player" in the league (and U20) he is playing in.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:13 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
You're right, his performance in college and the WJC hasn't been "great", it's been "excellent".

Old
01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
He really needs to work on his skating if he's to make the NHL. I think that's more of his issue than size. Many small players can overcome size issues. Skating, though correctable, will make or break him as an NHLer.
I would agree with this and it's often overlooked.

small guys ahve to be excellent skaters turn on a dime and have explosive 1st steps.

Johnny is an above average skater no doubt but a slight improvement in 1st step quickness will definetely help his cause which is still as a bit of a longshot at this point.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Steve Spott would.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:38 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
I think it's ridiculous people would suggest he's only worth a second rounder. He's a top scorer in the WJC and NCAA. Why would the Flames trade that sort of promise for a 2nd or even a 1st rounder? They should keep him, he's worth more to them than to any potential suitors.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:53 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Tyler Ennis was a first rounder and he has very similar body type to Gaudreau. The only difference is that Ennis had a full year of development on Gaudreau in their respective draft years. Gaudreau was one of the youngest players taken in the 2011 draft, while Ennis was one of the oldest taken in 2008. Would anyone doubt that Gaudreau would have been a first rounder in the 2012 draft after coming off a PPG season in the NCAA, and a National Championship?

Old
01-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Punkeater

He'll make it at the NHL level. I don't have any doubt about him. He's just too skilled. Of course, he'll have to compete harder than everyone to get out with the puck in the corners but he looks like he's willing to commit for the puck.

Honestly, he's going to make it, he looks like a fierce competitor, a little bit like Martin St-Louis and he's been used to fight against biggest players... he'll adapt to the NHL, he just have too much talent to not make it. Flames finally have some legit prospects with Gaudreau, Baertchi, Jankowski, Brodie etc.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
SephF
5-14-6-1

This kid is the real deal, his skill level and IQ is off the charts.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:31 AM
WarriorofTime

I'm definitely more of a believer in Gaudreau than I was when this thread started. Small guys have a chance to make it when they are as skilled and possess the hockey IQ Gaudreau has shown. I think he's the real deal.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

This kid is the flavor of the week. Last year it was Mark Stone.

Many of the goals I've seen him score, he won't be able to do against the top Dmen in the NHL. His skillset makes fools out of boys, but when he plays against men, it's less likely to translate. Given that he is a top 6 guy or bust, he would mostly be playing against other teams top 4 Dmen, making his chances even slimmer.

Yes, Martin St-Louis, Tyler Ennis and David Desharnais exist... but for every one of those, there are 100's if not 1000's of Corey Locke's.

I'm not saying he's going to be Corey Locke. I'm not saying he's not going to be Ennis. I'm just sating it's stupid to speculate how good a guy like this will be, because his size makes it almost impossible to predict.

And for the record... he looks shorter than Grimaldi, and 2 months ago, people were saying Grimaldi > Gaudreau. Funny how one tournament can make a guy a superstar, lol
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1266933

Old
01-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Sean Monahan
JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

^
I think that has more to do with people not actually seeing him play and him being a Calgary prospect

Old
01-04-2013, 02:10 AM
nogger
ploffs?

He's dominating the NCAA as well and they really aren't 'boys' over there.

What more do people want?

Old
01-04-2013, 02:17 AM
Ashasx

When I saw him at the Flames summer camp, he was a good 1-2 inches taller than me, and I'm a little shy of 5'6".

I figure he's closer to 5'8" than 5'6", probably around 5'7.5".

Two summers ago when the Flames first drafted him, he couldn't have been much more than 5'6", so he did grow a bit.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:53 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
Can you imagine if Johhny DOES hit the growth spurt...
he does look like he haven't gone through puberty yet...

Old
01-04-2013, 02:56 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
I think it's ridiculous people would suggest he's only worth a second rounder. He's a top scorer in the WJC and NCAA. Why would the Flames trade that sort of promise for a 2nd or even a 1st rounder? They should keep him, he's worth more to them than to any potential suitors.
flames already made the mistake getting rid of another small guy called Martin St Louis. Perhaps they've learned and pull the Theo Fleury route for Johnny Hockey.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:19 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
^
I think that has more to do with people not actually seeing him play and him being a Calgary prospect
That's true - it does seem to be a likely factor. Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
He's dominating the NCAA as well and they really aren't 'boys' over there.

What more do people want?
There's nothing more he can do. He's doing as well as he realistically can, but it's still almost impossible to predict the next step for him.

Will he be St.Louis - probably not.. that's pushing it
Will he be Ennis or Sulliavan.. maybe
Will he be an AHL star... maybe

Everything looks good, but he's still small. If he keeps proving people wrong... great, but history is against him, and history has taken down many just like him before.

I honestly don't think it's fair to say he will or will not be good at the NHL level. I'm just saying the chances are slim given his style of play and size. He's very very skilled though, and that's the only reason he's even a thought.

Old
01-04-2013, 03:31 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Stay on topic, this is a John Gaudreau thread not sam gagner value evaluation.

01-04-2013, 04:30 AM
PZA*
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

The guy looks 12 years old... seems like his testosterone potential hasn't been reached yet... I have a feeling he'll grow maybe a couple inches and gain some size in the next few years.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:34 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
This kid is the flavor of the week. Last year it was Mark Stone.

Many of the goals I've seen him score, he won't be able to do against the top Dmen in the NHL. His skillset makes fools out of boys, but when he plays against men, it's less likely to translate. Given that he is a top 6 guy or bust, he would mostly be playing against other teams top 4 Dmen, making his chances even slimmer.

Yes, Martin St-Louis, Tyler Ennis and David Desharnais exist... but for every one of those, there are 100's if not 1000's of Corey Locke's.

I'm not saying he's going to be Corey Locke. I'm not saying he's not going to be Ennis. I'm just sating it's stupid to speculate how good a guy like this will be, because his size makes it almost impossible to predict.

And for the record... he looks shorter than Grimaldi, and 2 months ago, people were saying Grimaldi > Gaudreau. Funny how one tournament can make a guy a superstar, lol
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1266933
Most people have been high on Gaudreau since he tore apart the NCAA as a freshmen last year. And now he's improved on those numbers as a sophomore and just had the 3 most prolific games in US WJC history, all in elimination games against good to great teams.

I agree his size makes him a bit tough to predict, but really no more so than Patrick Kane, who had like the exact same build but was like 1-2 inches taller.

The biggest thing Gaudreau needs to work on is his top speed. He's obviously quick but lacks top end NHL power.

Closed Thread