HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
The benefit of playing in college is the fewer number of games gives him time to work out and focus on building his body and first step, which are his only clear weaknesses.
If he wins the Hobey Baker he will only return to BC for 1 reason, to play with his brother. He has nothing else to prove in the NCAA ranks.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:39 AM
The Sweetness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
If he wins the Hobey Baker he will only return to BC for 1 reason, to play with his brother. He has nothing else to prove in the NCAA ranks.
I agree he has nothing else to prove. However, I think he could use the lighter college schedule to build up his body. Did you even read my post or just jump to your own conclusion?

Old
01-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
I agree he has nothing else to prove. However, I think he could use the lighter college schedule to build up his body. Did you even read my post or just jump to your own conclusion?
I read it. Were you born so abrasive or did you have to practice?

It's simple. While there could be physical benefits to him staying in college, he is trying to develop as well as his body and to stay at a level in which he has already dominated for 2 years doesn't make much sense when he can move up to the AHL and start developing his abilities to play against the bigger and older competition he will see at the professional level.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:05 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I read it. Were you born so abrasive or did you have to practice?

It's simple. While there could be physical benefits to him staying in college, he is trying to develop as well as his body and to stay at a level in which he has already dominated for 2 years doesn't make much sense when he can move up to the AHL and start developing his abilities to play against the bigger and older competition he will see at the professional level.
Apologies for coming off a bit harshly.

My take was that unless you feel 'having nothing to prove' is equivalent to 'not beneficial' then I felt there was no reason to quote my post as I replied to what I felt was best for gaudreaus development, not in regards of it he has anything left to prove. There have been many prospects that have benefited from being brought along slowly despite having a long list of accomplishments.

I've seen few prospects as physically undeveloped as gaudreau and I think the lighter college schedule will give him more time to work out and prepare himself for the NHL than jumping to the AHL. It is at least not as clear a decision as you make it out to be. I saw one pic of him in his shorts from a year or two back and his legs looked like toothpicks. It is scary thinking how good he can be if can strengthen his legs and core.

Last edited by The Sweetness: 01-20-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 02:17 PM
hockeyGod

It might be unconventional, but what about a year in the SEL or CHL? Could be a nice bridge to North American Pro hockey. I just dont think he's matured physically enough for AHL hockey but will have outgrown the NCAA by the end of season.

SEL/CHL13/14
AHL 14/15
NHL 15/16

Old
01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I don't think he leaves early not only is his brother going there next year but he weighs 155 at max he needs the next 2 years to gain weight and get use to playing at that weight.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post
It might be unconventional, but what about a year in the SEL or CHL? Could be a nice bridge to North American Pro hockey. I just dont think he's matured physically enough for AHL hockey but will have outgrown the NCAA by the end of season.

SEL/CHL13/14
AHL 14/15
NHL 15/16
playing against mostly 16-19 year olds would be pointless, sure he'd have a more pro schedule but less time in the weight room.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post

SEL/CHL13/14
AHL 14/15
NHL 15/16
The NCAA is a higher competition than the CHL. There'd be no reason to play against teenagers.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Noori

I know time in the weight room is important, but I think Gaudreau's development would stagnate were he to play another year in the NCAA. He would still have the offseason to hit the gym and the Heat barely play Monday through Thursday, so he would have an opportunity then as well. Players need to be challenged; you can't have them playing at a level where it all comes too easy. If Gaudreau is meant to be an NHL'er, he'll do regardless of when he turns pro.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I know time in the weight room is important, but I think Gaudreau's development would stagnate were he to play another year in the NCAA. He would still have the offseason to hit the gym and the Heat barely play Monday through Thursday, so he would have an opportunity then as well. Players need to be challenged; you can't have them playing at a level where it all comes too easy. If Gaudreau is meant to be an NHL'er, he'll do regardless of when he turns pro.
Agreed. AHL next season makes the most sense to me.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
I really like the Kane comparison, they just look so similar out there. I think Kane has the better hands, speed, and shot, but I think Gaudreau's patience and composure are a bit better than Kane's, and he has better instincts around the net. They both have elite vision, but I think Gaudreau has got a bit more of a scorer's touch - his shot isn't very hard but he can place it better than any prospect I've seen. He just puts it where the goalie isn't - just look at his 2nd goal against Canada. He just flipped the puck up into the far corner. He loves streaking down the left wing and shooting far side, and it seems like he doesn't miss often. His shot accuracy is insane.

John might look like Kane out there but let's slow down the hype train a bit here.

At the same point in their development and age Kane was enjoying the middle of his 2nd .88 PPG season in the NHL.

John had a great world junior tourney on a large ice surface and is dominating HE.

There is a world of difference here and it's more likely that John ends up being more like (insert small US College superstar who doesn't make it) than Patrick Kane.

I always love when a little guy makes it, like Gallagher making the Habs this year but fan bases tend to ignore the realities and likelihood of the odds as well at times and then hater when pretty objective analysis is brought forward.

As a Canuck fan I was happy to see Schroeder drop but it looks like he will be thrown on the bin of really good fast little guys in the lower tiers that didn't make it (which is where most of them end up).

Old
01-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
The NCAA is a higher competition than the CHL. There'd be no reason to play against teenagers.
Overall this is probably true, although a top team like Portland or Halifax would do quite well agasint most NCAA Div 1 teams.

But I think the point was to get him used to the longer pro schedule and I'm not sure if staying in college is the ebst route for his development.

That being said I don't think he would be ready for the AHL next year either so it's a tough situation.

My bet is that he stays at BC.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Overall this is probably true, although a top team like Portland or Halifax would do quite well agasint most NCAA Div 1 teams.

But I think the point was to get him used to the longer pro schedule and I'm not sure if staying in college is the ebst route for his development.

That being said I don't think he would be ready for the AHL next year either so it's a tough situation.

My bet is that he stays at BC.
it would be a longer schedule but he'd be playing against 16 and 17 year old defenders, to prepare him for the NHL he needs to be playing against defenders who are stronger than him. If he wants a longer pro schedule he should go to the AHL, rather than dropping down a level.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:36 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
it would be a longer schedule but he'd be playing against 16 and 17 year old defenders, to prepare him for the NHL he needs to be playing against defenders who are stronger than him. If he wants a longer pro schedule he should go to the AHL, rather than dropping down a level.
Agree. No reason at all to go the CHL route. Scoring at almost a two point a game average in a less offensive league.

I really like the glide path of his development. Moves to a new league and takes a couple months to figure things out and then becomes the top player. Did it in the USHL and now in the NCAA.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Bingo. If you are scoring at a point per game in the NCAA, you are generally ready to play in the AHL. If you are scoring almost two points per game? Yeah I think he'd be okay.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
John might look like Kane out there but let's slow down the hype train a bit here.

At the same point in their development and age Kane was enjoying the middle of his 2nd .88 PPG season in the NHL.

John had a great world junior tourney on a large ice surface and is dominating HE.

There is a world of difference here and it's more likely that John ends up being more like (insert small US College superstar who doesn't make it) than Patrick Kane.

I always love when a little guy makes it, like Gallagher making the Habs this year but fan bases tend to ignore the realities and likelihood of the odds as well at times and then hater when pretty objective analysis is brought forward.

As a Canuck fan I was happy to see Schroeder drop but it looks like he will be thrown on the bin of really good fast little guys in the lower tiers that didn't make it (which is where most of them end up).

Schroeder actually regressed his sophmore season for Minnesota. He was under a point per game. Granted the team was a mess, but Gaudreau has only gotten better.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Probably 70% of the playing time in the CHL is taken by 18-20 year olds and Johnny would be seeing top pairing Dmen against him at least 80% of the time.

I think the time for that move was this year not next year anyways, IMO he probably stays at BC.

It depends on how much muscle he can add to his body but right now I don't see him being physically ready to play and develop in the AHL, time will tell.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Schroeder actually regressed his sophmore season for Minnesota. He was under a point per game. Granted the team was a mess, but Gaudreau has only gotten better.
this is true he regressed in his 2nd year and didn't look as good at the WJC as well. Some guys just peak early and don't develop as much as other guys.

Maybe he can have a decent career as a pro but he is basically done with the Canucks IMO.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:

I do not know a ton about Schroeder but it seems that his game was built around his speed and stickhandling. Both great things to have but looking over past scouting reports from back in 2009, there doesnt seem to be much else mentioned except for speed and puck handling. I read two and no mentions of hockey sense. (Hate to go only by two scouting reports, so if anyone feels that his hockey sense was an asset, please chime in)
I have always been a fan of the "off the chart" intelligent type hockey players so a bit bias with Gaudreau. I just feel that hockey IQ is the key to continuous development from one level to another.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

Players listed as 5 foot 10 or under that are regular NHLers (and even some really good ones) - Ian White, Brian Campbell, Jack Hillen, Andrew Cogliano, Zach Boychuk, JM Liles, Matt Read, M Perraeult, Saku Koivu, Kyle Wellwood, Chad LaRose, Tobias Enstrom, Ray Whitney, Andrew Shaw, Kris Russell, Mark Olver, Jordan Tootoo, MA Bergeron, Mike Cammalleri, Derek Roy, Brad Marchand, Scott Nichol, Steve Sullivan, Martin St Louis, Tyler Ennis, Brain Gionta, David Desharnais

High Potential Rookies under 5 foot 10 and likely NHLers (Komarov/Calvert aren't high end but I digress) - Sven Baertshi, Markus Granlund, Damien Brunner, Leo Komarov, Matt Calvert, Ryan Ellis. Jaden Schwartz, Cory Conacher, Cam Atkinson

Tell me again how this is impossible for a small player?

Old
01-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Players listed as 5 foot 10 or under that are regular NHLers (and even some really good ones) - Ian White, Brian Campbell, Jack Hillen, Andrew Cogliano, Zach Boychuk, JM Liles, Matt Read, M Perraeult, Saku Koivu, Kyle Wellwood, Chad LaRose, Tobias Enstrom, Ray Whitney, Andrew Shaw, Kris Russell, Mark Olver, Jordan Tootoo, MA Bergeron, Mike Cammalleri, Derek Roy, Brad Marchand, Scott Nichol, Steve Sullivan, Martin St Louis, Tyler Ennis, Brain Gionta, David Desharnais

High Potential Rookies under 5 foot 10 and likely NHLers (Komarov/Calvert aren't high end but I digress) - Sven Baertshi, Markus Granlund, Damien Brunner, Leo Komarov, Matt Calvert, Ryan Ellis. Jaden Schwartz, Cory Conacher, Cam Atkinson

Tell me again how this is impossible for a small player?

I love responses like this which misquote what I said (like I never said it was impossible for starters).

Most of the guys you list are 5' 10" and over 180 lbs as well.
5' 10" is quite a bit taller than 5'7" 150-155 lbs (that Johnny is listed at).

The most common traits for a "little guy" to make and star in the NHL is a thick body, like 175lbs plus and plus plus skating skills to compensate for their small stature.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Schroeder essentially made the Canucks out of camp, and was only sent down because of waiver eligibility- as stated by Gillis. MG also said he'd be up with the big club shortly. Not sure how you figure he's "done with the Canucks."

Old
01-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
Schroeder essentially made the Canucks out of camp, and was only sent down because of waiver eligibility- as stated by Gillis. MG also said he'd be up with the big club shortly. Not sure how you figure he's "done with the Canucks."
Of course they are going to say that.

More importantly Viggy when asked during the off season...er lockout about Schroeder said that "he needs to dominate down in the AHL".

The 30-9-10-19 pace in his 3rd full year in the AHL has been a step backwards and it wasn't like he was close after his 76-21-23-44 season last year either.

Maybe a change of scenery will help but he isn't progressing and unless he steps it up considerably in Chicago with his demotion , his chance with the Canucks is over IMO.

It's too bad, I was really excited when he dropped to the Canucks in the 09 draft but it looks like the teams that passed on him were right.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Of course they are going to say that.

More importantly Viggy when asked during the off season...er lockout about Schroeder said that "he needs to dominate down in the AHL".

The 30-9-10-19 pace in his 3rd full year in the AHL has been a step backwards and it wasn't like he was close after his 76-21-23-44 season last year either.

Maybe a change of scenery will help but he isn't progressing and unless he steps it up considerably in Chicago with his demotion , his chance with the Canucks is over IMO.

It's too bad, I was really excited when he dropped to the Canucks in the 09 draft but it looks like the teams that passed on him were right.
So when he gets called up shortly, I trust you'll be back to explain yourself? The guy looked ready during camp, who cares if he's been hot and cold in the AHL, Hodgson was the same and look how he did with NHL talent.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
So when he gets called up shortly, I trust you'll be back to explain yourself? The guy looked ready during camp, who cares if he's been hot and cold in the AHL, Hodgson was the same and look how he did with NHL talent.
sure if they are stubborn and keep Lou (they are actively trying to get a 2nd line Center with Kess out) he "could" get called up but I'm betting he has less than 40 games in him with the Canucks, with very little production

Closed Thread