HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

vCash: 500
Very bold statement- a prospect with 0 NHL games played as of yet only playing 87% of the remaining (shortened) season. And that's assuming he's recalled tomorrow, which admittedly is unlikely.

edit: but enough derailing the thread. Are Flames fans optimistic of him playing pro soon?

Old
01-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Xokkeu

I think Gaudreau will be back at BC next year. From everything I've heard about BC's program it's a place guys want to stick around for awhile. No rush to run off to a remote outpost of the AHL.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I know time in the weight room is important, but I think Gaudreau's development would stagnate were he to play another year in the NCAA. He would still have the offseason to hit the gym and the Heat barely play Monday through Thursday, so he would have an opportunity then as well. Players need to be challenged; you can't have them playing at a level where it all comes too easy. If Gaudreau is meant to be an NHL'er, he'll do regardless of when he turns pro.
To bring up a counter example, Martin St Louis is a similarly small player who took full 4 years of college and then still needed some time in the AHL and even NHL time to finally get up to full speed.

I don't think spending more time in college is going to hurt Gaudreau. And it's certainly a lot easier to put on muscle at college, not just because there's more breaks but because there's less games. With the AHL schedule it's hard enough to keep your weight and muscle mass, let alone add to it. Even if you have lots of breaks to work out. It's the number of games, not the exact schedule that's an issue.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:21 AM
bennitez7

I'm rooting for him. I really want him to succed. I was very impressed with what he did during the WJC (espacially when it counted the most).

Old
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
I doubt we see him leave BC next year.... potentially the year after that though. Despite him dominating the NCAA it's still a good league! I don't think it would stunt his growth dominating one more year. He will make use of the gym, diets, etc, and put on the lean muscle he needs to be better prepared for pro.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:10 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
I agree he has nothing else to prove. However, I think he could use the lighter college schedule to build up his body. Did you even read my post or just jump to your own conclusion?
Totally agree with this. Johnny won't be able to dominate the AHL at his current weight and especially strength. The best thing for him to do is use the NCAA next year as a chance to do lots of weight training and build up his mass, while still playing a high level of hockey.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I doubt we see him leave BC next year.... potentially the year after that though. Despite him dominating the NCAA it's still a good league! I don't think it would stunt his growth dominating one more year. He will make use of the gym, diets, etc, and put on the lean muscle he needs to be better prepared for pro.
I'd say this is realistic. Three years at BC and then try his hand in the AHL.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
I think he should do what Okposo did, and leave halfway into next year. It'll give him a little more time in the weight room, but also a taste of pro hockey so he doesn't stagnate in college, and not quite enough pro hockey for it to overwhelm him. It's a safe way for him to wet his feet while still getting in some physical development.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:20 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I think he should do what Okposo did, and leave halfway into next year. It'll give him a little more time in the weight room, but also a taste of pro hockey so he doesn't stagnate in college, and not quite enough pro hockey for it to overwhelm him. It's a safe way for him to wet his feet while still getting in some physical development.
I think that kind of decision is only done when the development has been disappointing by both the NHL team who drafted him and the player. It is not done as a "plan".

Last edited by UvBnDatsyuked: 01-21-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 11:28 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

I saw him play the other night against Northeastern. While he is very fast, he has the body of a 13 year old. He needs to add mass and muscle to have any hope of making it, I think.

Dave Mansons kid abused him in front of the net throughout the game, and he started whining to the refs looking for calls most of the game. If the person you are playing against has 12 inches and 50 pounds on you, you are going to get tossed around, its just a part of the game.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
I saw him play the other night against Northeastern. While he is very fast, he has the body of a 13 year old. He needs to add mass and muscle to have any hope of making it, I think.

Dave Mansons kid abused him in front of the net throughout the game, and he started whining to the refs looking for calls most of the game. If the person you are playing against has 12 inches and 50 pounds on you, you are going to get tossed around, its just a part of the game.
Apparently Manson didn't do a very good job, considering Gaudreau had 4 points.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:55 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Lol. But he got bullied !!!

Old
01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Size won't be that much of an issue I can guarantee that (quote me in a few years).

The kid is phenomenal with amazing IQ and sense it's a shame people are even doubting him. The league isn't a bruiser league anymore where if you're not 6'2 220 pounds you can't compete.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
ROFL, argument destroyed.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:32 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
This is the thing he may get bullied but the kid will burn the other team every time.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Lol. But he got bullied !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
ROFL, argument destroyed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
This is the thing he may get bullied but the kid will burn the other team every time.
I think all of you kind of missed the point here. In the NHL, and even AHL, he'll deal with that type of abuse more often both because of the level of competition and because of the schedule. If he's whining about it now, it's pretty clear that he's not quite ready for what's waiting for him at higher levels.

Also, I didn't see the poster question his offensive readiness, merely his physical one. You can be a top scorer but have you career ruined because you get injured over and over due to not being physically ready.

I sure as hell hope the Flames are more interested in him having a spectacular, healthy career than him making the NHL a few years early and then having an injury-riddled career.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:41 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think all of you kind of missed the point here. In the NHL, and even AHL, he'll deal with that type of abuse more often both because of the level of competition and because of the schedule. If he's whining about it now, it's pretty clear that he's not quite ready for what's waiting for him at higher levels.

Also, I didn't see the poster question his offensive readiness, merely his physical one. You can be a top scorer but have you career ruined because you get injured over and over due to not being physically ready.

I sure as hell hope the Flames are more interested in him having a spectacular, healthy career than him making the NHL a few years early and then having an injury-riddled career.
I don't think we missed the point we get he needs to add weight, He is only 19 and has added 15 pounds since he was drafted in 2 more years he could easily add another 20 and be around 175. He is playing against defensemen that are the same size as ahl defensemen most nights it doesn't seem to stop him much. Crosby also whines after every shot he takes it doesn't stop whining doesn't prove the player can't handle it just that they want the ref to help them out.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
He is playing against defensemen that are the same size as ahl defensemen most nights it doesn't seem to stop him much.
In the AHL he'll be playing against them twice as often. And I do think you and others missed his point since you're calling him out as if 4 points is a proof against what he said. He can have 4 points and not be ready.

Martin St Louis had 85 points in a season and wasn't ready.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:

I think you missed all the posts above his, where we already said that.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I think you missed all the posts above his, where we already said that.
I didn't miss it, I just didn't find the need for jumping on a poster who provided his opinion based on watching him play. Why discourage someone from actually giving an eye-witness account when most of what we get is stat-scouting?

Hell, the reply to his eye-witness account is that he had 4 points. Did the poster see him play? Nope, just looked at the stat sheet and look... 4 points tells us all we need to know about this player.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
I didn't miss it, I just didn't find the need for jumping on a poster who provided his opinion based on watching him play. Why discourage someone from actually giving an eye-witness account when most of what we get is stat-scouting?
Because its both funny, and absurd to try and say he was physically man-handled when he scored 4 assists on the night.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Because its both funny, and absurd to try and say he was physically man-handled when he scored 4 assists on the night.
I've seen it happen in the AHL quite often and it's always AHL journeymen like Andrew Ebbett and Darren Haydar. They still score in bunches at the AHL level but then at the NHL level they suddenly can't cut it.

For the record, I'm a fan... just don't like the fact that everyone always jumps on the poster that happens to provide an opposite opinion based on watching somebody play.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
In the AHL he'll be playing against them twice as often. And I do think you and others missed his point since you're calling him out as if 4 points is a proof against what he said. He can have 4 points and not be ready.

Martin St Louis had 85 points in a season and wasn't ready.
Yes I have already said he needs to add muscle but clearly at this point large players aren't an issue and he has a year or two in order to add the muscle needed to face them twice as often. We were just saying that players that try to abuse him end up being burned much like top small players in the nhl (RNH,Ennis,etc). Of course he isn't ready to to play in the nhl at ~155 pounds but the fact that he has found a way to succeed while being physically undersized speaks to his skill and willingness to take shots in order to succeed.

I think you are taking what we are saying out of context we aren't saying he is succeeding now so he will be fine with out adding muscle, what we are saying is large players aren't able to shut him down by abusing him which is a good sign as he needs that ability as he will also be smaller than the defensemen he plays against. We admit he needs to add muscle tho.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:59 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
I've seen it happen in the AHL quite often and it's always AHL journeymen like Andrew Ebbett and Darren Haydar. They still score in bunches at the AHL level but then at the NHL level they suddenly can't cut it.

For the record, I'm a fan... just don't like the fact that everyone always jumps on the poster that happens to provide an opposite opinion based on watching somebody play.
And like I said, we already said he needed to add size to cut it at higher levels.

The poster provided a specific example, and we responded as to why it was a poor example.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

bust

Closed Thread