HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 10:07 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
He has midget limbs, Kane is much more dynamic skating wise.

He's does have Kane' like hands in some ways, so to compare you need a player with Kane's size and hands minus the skating,............. wait there is no one like that in the NHL.

Maybe...geez I don't know
Sums up what your posts about JG have taught me about you.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:13 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
He has midget limbs, Kane is much more dynamic skating wise.

He's does have Kane' like hands in some ways, so to compare you need a player with Kane's size and hands minus the skating,............. wait there is no one like that in the NHL.

Maybe...geez I don't know

Clearly no bias in your post.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:03 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post

Clearly no bias in your post.
I say we all (Flames/Gaudreau fans) just flat out ignore him. He's obviously a troll, and is feeding off of any attention (negative) he gets. Let's not waste our time with ......... him anymore. Just my thoughts.... I know he's annoying as hell

Old
01-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Walkingthroughforest
johnny be good

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
Man, those highlights against Sweden were amazing. Ridiculous hands and speed. Kid can skate with the best of them.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:38 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Man, those highlights against Sweden were amazing. Ridiculous hands and speed. Kid can skate with the best of them.
Once he gets going he is a very good skater, he still needs to work on his first step explosion. He has 2 years to work on that, and its something thats fixable.

while his size is a concern, I don't doubt that he will add weight over the next couple of years as he's still a teen, there's a possibility of a final growth spurt as well.

My concern is he gains weight and loses his shiftiness.

There are more and more small players coming into the NHL.

As a Flames fan I remember they drafted theo with the expectation that he would be a big ticket entertainer with the Flames farm team but never make an impact in the NHL.

Its way to soon to be saying that size is going to hold this kid back, he seems to have a lot of determination and character going for him as well.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:44 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

I really like the Kane comparison, they just look so similar out there. I think Kane has the better hands, speed, and shot, but I think Gaudreau's patience and composure are a bit better than Kane's, and he has better instincts around the net. They both have elite vision, but I think Gaudreau has got a bit more of a scorer's touch - his shot isn't very hard but he can place it better than any prospect I've seen. He just puts it where the goalie isn't - just look at his 2nd goal against Canada. He just flipped the puck up into the far corner. He loves streaking down the left wing and shooting far side, and it seems like he doesn't miss often. His shot accuracy is insane.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:43 AM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
his shot isn't very hard but he can place it better than any prospect I've seen. He just puts it where the goalie isn't - just look at his 2nd goal against Canada. He just flipped the puck up into the far corner. He loves streaking down the left wing and shooting far side, and it seems like he doesn't miss often. His shot accuracy is insane.
I'm not sure if I like how that translates to the NHL. In minor leagues, that works out alright. But in the NHL, you need brute force to score as well. There are countless defence I can recall that lose their scoring effectiveness in the NHL as goal scorers because they can't shoot hard enough to get the puck by the goalie. I'm worried something similar can happen to Gaudreau, which would kill his scoring talent a bit.

Then again, I could be making a bad comparison too. Defence have to generally shoot from further away, while Gaudreau could still get within the 5-10 foot space that he scores from.

I really hope it works out for Gaudreau (I'd love to see a second Theo sized player succeed in Calgary...well, third, if you count Vernon), but the odds are still stacked against him. He needs to prove his ability at every level up to and including the NHL to establish play on the Flames.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I'm not sure if I like how that translates to the NHL. In minor leagues, that works out alright. But in the NHL, you need brute force to score as well. There are countless defence I can recall that lose their scoring effectiveness in the NHL as goal scorers because they can't shoot hard enough to get the puck by the goalie. I'm worried something similar can happen to Gaudreau, which would kill his scoring talent a bit.

Then again, I could be making a bad comparison too. Defence have to generally shoot from further away, while Gaudreau could still get within the 5-10 foot space that he scores from.

I really hope it works out for Gaudreau (I'd love to see a second Theo sized player succeed in Calgary...well, third, if you count Vernon), but the odds are still stacked against him. He needs to prove his ability at every level up to and including the NHL to establish play on the Flames.
He shoots a bit like Cammalleri. Very shifty, gets in close even for a slapper. Usually sets himself up for a cross ice pass, or one timer. In the zone alone often opts for the simple deke ala O. Jokinen.

So I don't see his shooting style being too big of an issue.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Sean Monahan
JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

Worst case scenario he just passes it right to an open player's stick

Old
01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
TheHudlinator

4 assists tonight 31 points in 18 games jesus

Old
01-20-2013, 12:11 AM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
4 assists tonight 31 points in 18 games jesus
Every game getting closer to a 2.0 ppg ratio! Kids unreal!

Old
01-20-2013, 01:14 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Wonder what the chances are of him forgoing his last couple of years to turn pro next year.

He's won a championship, he's dominating the college ranks, he's probably going to win the Baker.

If he's that much better then the college game then leaving him there might stunt his development.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:07 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
Wonder what the chances are of him forgoing his last couple of years to turn pro next year.

He's won a championship, he's dominating the college ranks, he's probably going to win the Baker.

If he's that much better then the college game then leaving him there might stunt his development.
The benefit of playing in college is the fewer number of games gives him time to work out and focus on building his body and first step, which are his only clear weaknesses.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:08 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
The benefit of playing in college is the fewer number of games gives him time to work out and focus on building his body and first step, which are his only clear weaknesses.
If he wins the Hobey Baker he will only return to BC for 1 reason, to play with his brother. He has nothing else to prove in the NCAA ranks.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:39 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
If he wins the Hobey Baker he will only return to BC for 1 reason, to play with his brother. He has nothing else to prove in the NCAA ranks.
I agree he has nothing else to prove. However, I think he could use the lighter college schedule to build up his body. Did you even read my post or just jump to your own conclusion?

Old
01-20-2013, 07:55 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
I agree he has nothing else to prove. However, I think he could use the lighter college schedule to build up his body. Did you even read my post or just jump to your own conclusion?
I read it. Were you born so abrasive or did you have to practice?

It's simple. While there could be physical benefits to him staying in college, he is trying to develop as well as his body and to stay at a level in which he has already dominated for 2 years doesn't make much sense when he can move up to the AHL and start developing his abilities to play against the bigger and older competition he will see at the professional level.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:05 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I read it. Were you born so abrasive or did you have to practice?

It's simple. While there could be physical benefits to him staying in college, he is trying to develop as well as his body and to stay at a level in which he has already dominated for 2 years doesn't make much sense when he can move up to the AHL and start developing his abilities to play against the bigger and older competition he will see at the professional level.
Apologies for coming off a bit harshly.

My take was that unless you feel 'having nothing to prove' is equivalent to 'not beneficial' then I felt there was no reason to quote my post as I replied to what I felt was best for gaudreaus development, not in regards of it he has anything left to prove. There have been many prospects that have benefited from being brought along slowly despite having a long list of accomplishments.

I've seen few prospects as physically undeveloped as gaudreau and I think the lighter college schedule will give him more time to work out and prepare himself for the NHL than jumping to the AHL. It is at least not as clear a decision as you make it out to be. I saw one pic of him in his shorts from a year or two back and his legs looked like toothpicks. It is scary thinking how good he can be if can strengthen his legs and core.

Last edited by The Sweetness: 01-20-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 02:17 PM
hockeyGod

It might be unconventional, but what about a year in the SEL or CHL? Could be a nice bridge to North American Pro hockey. I just dont think he's matured physically enough for AHL hockey but will have outgrown the NCAA by the end of season.

SEL/CHL13/14
AHL 14/15
NHL 15/16

Old
01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
TheHudlinator

I don't think he leaves early not only is his brother going there next year but he weighs 155 at max he needs the next 2 years to gain weight and get use to playing at that weight.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post
It might be unconventional, but what about a year in the SEL or CHL? Could be a nice bridge to North American Pro hockey. I just dont think he's matured physically enough for AHL hockey but will have outgrown the NCAA by the end of season.

SEL/CHL13/14
AHL 14/15
NHL 15/16
playing against mostly 16-19 year olds would be pointless, sure he'd have a more pro schedule but less time in the weight room.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post

SEL/CHL13/14
AHL 14/15
NHL 15/16
The NCAA is a higher competition than the CHL. There'd be no reason to play against teenagers.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
I know time in the weight room is important, but I think Gaudreau's development would stagnate were he to play another year in the NCAA. He would still have the offseason to hit the gym and the Heat barely play Monday through Thursday, so he would have an opportunity then as well. Players need to be challenged; you can't have them playing at a level where it all comes too easy. If Gaudreau is meant to be an NHL'er, he'll do regardless of when he turns pro.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I know time in the weight room is important, but I think Gaudreau's development would stagnate were he to play another year in the NCAA. He would still have the offseason to hit the gym and the Heat barely play Monday through Thursday, so he would have an opportunity then as well. Players need to be challenged; you can't have them playing at a level where it all comes too easy. If Gaudreau is meant to be an NHL'er, he'll do regardless of when he turns pro.
Agreed. AHL next season makes the most sense to me.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
I really like the Kane comparison, they just look so similar out there. I think Kane has the better hands, speed, and shot, but I think Gaudreau's patience and composure are a bit better than Kane's, and he has better instincts around the net. They both have elite vision, but I think Gaudreau has got a bit more of a scorer's touch - his shot isn't very hard but he can place it better than any prospect I've seen. He just puts it where the goalie isn't - just look at his 2nd goal against Canada. He just flipped the puck up into the far corner. He loves streaking down the left wing and shooting far side, and it seems like he doesn't miss often. His shot accuracy is insane.

John might look like Kane out there but let's slow down the hype train a bit here.

At the same point in their development and age Kane was enjoying the middle of his 2nd .88 PPG season in the NHL.

John had a great world junior tourney on a large ice surface and is dominating HE.

There is a world of difference here and it's more likely that John ends up being more like (insert small US College superstar who doesn't make it) than Patrick Kane.

I always love when a little guy makes it, like Gallagher making the Habs this year but fan bases tend to ignore the realities and likelihood of the odds as well at times and then hater when pretty objective analysis is brought forward.

As a Canuck fan I was happy to see Schroeder drop but it looks like he will be thrown on the bin of really good fast little guys in the lower tiers that didn't make it (which is where most of them end up).

Old
01-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
The NCAA is a higher competition than the CHL. There'd be no reason to play against teenagers.
Overall this is probably true, although a top team like Portland or Halifax would do quite well agasint most NCAA Div 1 teams.

But I think the point was to get him used to the longer pro schedule and I'm not sure if staying in college is the ebst route for his development.

That being said I don't think he would be ready for the AHL next year either so it's a tough situation.

My bet is that he stays at BC.

Closed Thread