HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
Gaudreau was pretty non existent today against #1 Minnesota. Sure he can rack up points against some small northeastern schools but doesn't look that good against real teams. Some good dives today though.
Yup that explains his performance at the WJC.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:18 PM
jarome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
Gaudreau was pretty non existent today against #1 Minnesota. Sure he can rack up points against some small northeastern schools but doesn't look that good against real teams. Some good dives today though.
Based on one game?

Old
10-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I was at the game today, the Gophers neutralized him pretty well but the skill is obvious. The dives were really frustrating though, luckily it didn't matter.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:59 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Butler View Post
Yup that explains his performance at the WJC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarome View Post
Based on one game?
Don't even give him the time of day. He bumped the threads of Boston College's top prospects (Gaudreau, Matheson, McCoshen Santini), and wrote negative things about them all. It is pretty clear to see what his intentions were, and the bias he holds.

Old
10-27-2013, 08:13 PM
nik-

2+ seasons and the WJC mean nothing, a bad game against Minnesota shows what he really is.

Old
10-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Pauline Hisman

Calgary fan

I'm guessing Gaudreau is a very disappointed BC Eagle . You can tell by the way he is performing on that sheet of ice . Yesterday's game showed it in every fashion .He's a much better hockey player then that . I think he's not playing up to his potential because he stayed at BC to play with his younger brother Matty and Matty has only seen action in one period of the first game " with an assist " mind you . Time for Coach Hartley or Feaster to contact Gaudreau . Just my thought . I could be wrong .

Old
10-28-2013, 09:00 AM
tfong

Is his brother any good?

Old
10-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Pauline Hisman

Not bad at all , similar to Johnny's style.

Old
10-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Pauline Hisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Is his brother any good?
How do you think Johnny plays ?

Old
10-28-2013, 09:37 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Hisman View Post
I'm guessing Gaudreau is a very disappointed BC Eagle . You can tell by the way he is performing on that sheet of ice . Yesterday's game showed it in every fashion .He's a much better hockey player then that . I think he's not playing up to his potential because he stayed at BC to play with his younger brother Matty and Matty has only seen action in one period of the first game " with an assist " mind you . Time for Coach Hartley or Feaster to contact Gaudreau . Just my thought . I could be wrong .
I don't exactly get what you are saying. Do you think he should be with the Flames right now?

He will finish his degree this year, and come to the Flames in the off-season. He will get a few games at the beginning of next year before heading down to the AHL for the year (IMO)

Flames draft McDavid in 2015, Roll a lineup of:

Sven - Monahan - Poirier
Gaudreau - Reinhart - Hudler
Glencross - McDavid - some UFA

Just my opinion.

Old
10-28-2013, 10:34 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Is his brother any good?
Nowhere near the skill of Johnny. He is likely a college player an not much else. People doubted Johnny too though I suppose.

10-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Pauline Hisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I don't exactly get what you are saying. Do you think he should be with the Flames right now?

He will finish his degree this year, and come to the Flames in the off-season. He will get a few games at the beginning of next year before heading down to the AHL for the year (IMO)

Sven - Monahan - Poirier

Just my opinion.
Yes I think he should be with the Flames right now .

Old
10-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Pauline Hisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Nowhere near the skill of Johnny. He is likely a college player an not much else. People doubted Johnny too though I suppose.
True

Old
10-28-2013, 10:43 AM
madmike77

Quote:

Sven - Monahan - Poirier

Just my opinion.
Lol that's pretty optimistic.

As usual the Flames aren't a great team - but they don't look bad enough to contend for last overall.

Something could certainly change between now and the end of the season, but they look more like a 6-10 team than a bottom 5.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Reinhart

Quote:

Sven - Monahan - Poirier

Just my opinion.
I don't think Gaudreau will be finishing his degree this year - this is only his third year of college. I do think he leaves after this season and gets a few games in with Calgary at the end of their season though.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Pauline Hisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
I don't think Gaudreau will be finishing his degree this year - this is only his third year of college. I do think he leaves after this season and gets a few games in with Calgary at the end of their season though.
I think you are correct about Gaudreau not finishing his 3rd year at BC .

Old
10-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Pauline Hisman

Quote:
Is his brother any good?
Not as good as Johnny , but better then some of what coach York is playing !

Old
10-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Gaudreau seems like a guy you probably shouldn't throw into the fire (NHL) as of yet. Let him develop his strength and his pro game in the AHL first and then move him along. He could be a fantastic player for them but they would be best not to rush him. Maybe a couple NHL games at the end of the season wouldn't hurt just to give him a taste and then spend the year in the AHL next year and see how that goes.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
and cue the baseless speculation

Old
10-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Pauline Hisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
2+ seasons and the WJC mean nothing, a bad game against Minnesota shows what he really is.

Yeah you're right , he's worthless.

Old
10-28-2013, 12:15 PM
ocarina

Quote:
What exactly are you trying to say ?
How do you make that connection that he isn't producing as much as he should (even though 8 points in 5 games looks pretty decent to me) and that it's related to his brother not playing?

Also, serious question, is his younger brother even on scholarship right now? I know stats aren't everything, but he only put up very modest numbers in the USHL last year.

Old
10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Yes I think he should be with the Flames right now .
I don't, he is best served playing less and bulking up more. He would be very hard-pressed to gain weight playing 82 games in the NHL. Not to mention i doubt he is physically ready for NHL top 6 minutes. Sven is a couple inches taller and almost 20 pounds heavier and he gets thrown around pretty easily. Gaudreau would get destroyed. Last thing we need is to harm his development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Lol that's pretty optimistic.

As usual the Flames aren't a great team - but they don't look bad enough to contend for last overall.

Something could certainly change between now and the end of the season, but they look more like a 6-10 team than a bottom 5.
I dont know, we are only 10 games into the season and the Flames are sitting in 17th overall. As the season wears on we will get worse and worse. Top 5 pick is almost a guarantee for us IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
You are correct, i apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Gaudreau seems like a guy you probably shouldn't throw into the fire (NHL) as of yet. Let him develop his strength and his pro game in the AHL first and then move him along. He could be a fantastic player for them but they would be best not to rush him. Maybe a couple NHL games at the end of the season wouldn't hurt just to give him a taste and then spend the year in the AHL next year and see how that goes.
This. IMO he is NHL bound in 2015-2016. He needs years to develop and gain weight.

Old
10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Pauline Hisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
How do you make that connection that he isn't producing as much as he should (even though 8 points in 5 games looks pretty decent to me) and that it's related to his brother not playing?

Also, serious question, is his younger brother even on scholarship right now? I know stats aren't everything, but he only put up very modest numbers in the USHL last year.
Yes his brother is there on a scholarship .

Old
10-28-2013, 02:58 PM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Not that it's any of my business, and I appreciate the insight, but it might not be in Johnny's best interest to go public with any issues he may have with Boston College. It's probably best to just keep that in house and let him handle it. That said, I'm rooting for the kid. One of the most exciting prospects I've seen, and he's really made us US hockey fans proud. Can't wait to see him play in the NHL.

Old
10-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
I don't, he is best served playing less and bulking up more. He would be very hard-pressed to gain weight playing 82 games in the NHL. Not to mention i doubt he is physically ready for NHL top 6 minutes. Sven is a couple inches taller and almost 20 pounds heavier and he gets thrown around pretty easily. Gaudreau would get destroyed. Last thing we need is to harm his development.

This. IMO he is NHL bound in 2015-2016. He needs years to develop and gain weight.
Don't be so sure. Gaudreau has always fought threw his size issues and has suceeded to be a star in every league since he was 9 years old. Griffin Reinhart called him a "ghost" for his ability to avoid hits, he's also extremely strong for his size on his skates and isn't pushed off the puck very easily.

Remember, he doesn't play against kids in junior, he plays against 21+ young strong players right now.

IMO once BC's season is finished he signs and gets a cup of coffee with the Flames this spring.

Closed Thread