HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-27-2013, 06:14 PM
  #851
Chris Butler
Feels bad man
 
Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
Gaudreau was pretty non existent today against #1 Minnesota. Sure he can rack up points against some small northeastern schools but doesn't look that good against real teams. Some good dives today though.
Yup that explains his performance at the WJC.

Chris Butler is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 06:18 PM
  #852
jarome
Registered User
 
jarome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanmaster View Post
Gaudreau was pretty non existent today against #1 Minnesota. Sure he can rack up points against some small northeastern schools but doesn't look that good against real teams. Some good dives today though.
Based on one game?

jarome is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 06:21 PM
  #853
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 500
I was at the game today, the Gophers neutralized him pretty well but the skill is obvious. The dives were really frustrating though, luckily it didn't matter.

Jaykay is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 06:59 PM
  #854
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Butler View Post
Yup that explains his performance at the WJC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarome View Post
Based on one game?
Don't even give him the time of day. He bumped the threads of Boston College's top prospects (Gaudreau, Matheson, McCoshen Santini), and wrote negative things about them all. It is pretty clear to see what his intentions were, and the bias he holds.

HighLifeMan is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 08:13 PM
  #855
nik-
Registered User
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
2+ seasons and the WJC mean nothing, a bad game against Minnesota shows what he really is.


nik- is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 08:52 AM
  #856
Pauline Hisman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Calgary fan

I'm guessing Gaudreau is a very disappointed BC Eagle . You can tell by the way he is performing on that sheet of ice . Yesterday's game showed it in every fashion .He's a much better hockey player then that . I think he's not playing up to his potential because he stayed at BC to play with his younger brother Matty and Matty has only seen action in one period of the first game " with an assist " mind you . Time for Coach Hartley or Feaster to contact Gaudreau . Just my thought . I could be wrong .

Pauline Hisman is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 09:00 AM
  #857
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,692
vCash: 500
Is his brother any good?

tfong is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 09:04 AM
  #858
Pauline Hisman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Not bad at all , similar to Johnny's style.

Pauline Hisman is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 09:19 AM
  #859
Pauline Hisman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Is his brother any good?
How do you think Johnny plays ?

Pauline Hisman is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 09:37 AM
  #860
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Hisman View Post
I'm guessing Gaudreau is a very disappointed BC Eagle . You can tell by the way he is performing on that sheet of ice . Yesterday's game showed it in every fashion .He's a much better hockey player then that . I think he's not playing up to his potential because he stayed at BC to play with his younger brother Matty and Matty has only seen action in one period of the first game " with an assist " mind you . Time for Coach Hartley or Feaster to contact Gaudreau . Just my thought . I could be wrong .
I don't exactly get what you are saying. Do you think he should be with the Flames right now?

He will finish his degree this year, and come to the Flames in the off-season. He will get a few games at the beginning of next year before heading down to the AHL for the year (IMO)

Flames draft McDavid in 2015, Roll a lineup of:

Sven - Monahan - Poirier
Gaudreau - Reinhart - Hudler
Glencross - McDavid - some UFA

Just my opinion.

TylerSVT* is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 10:34 AM
  #861
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,646
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Is his brother any good?
Nowhere near the skill of Johnny. He is likely a college player an not much else. People doubted Johnny too though I suppose.

__________________
InfinityIggy is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 10:40 AM
  #862
Pauline Hisman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I don't exactly get what you are saying. Do you think he should be with the Flames right now?

He will finish his degree this year, and come to the Flames in the off-season. He will get a few games at the beginning of next year before heading down to the AHL for the year (IMO)

Flames draft McDavid in 2015, Roll a lineup of:

Sven - Monahan - Poirier
Gaudreau - Reinhart - Hudler
Glencross - McDavid - some UFA

Just my opinion.
Yes I think he should be with the Flames right now .

Pauline Hisman is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 10:40 AM
  #863
Pauline Hisman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Nowhere near the skill of Johnny. He is likely a college player an not much else. People doubted Johnny too though I suppose.
True

Pauline Hisman is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 10:43 AM
  #864
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I don't exactly get what you are saying. Do you think he should be with the Flames right now?

He will finish his degree this year, and come to the Flames in the off-season. He will get a few games at the beginning of next year before heading down to the AHL for the year (IMO)

Flames draft McDavid in 2015, Roll a lineup of:

Sven - Monahan - Poirier
Gaudreau - Reinhart - Hudler
Glencross - McDavid - some UFA

Just my opinion.
Lol that's pretty optimistic.

As usual the Flames aren't a great team - but they don't look bad enough to contend for last overall.

Something could certainly change between now and the end of the season, but they look more like a 6-10 team than a bottom 5.

madmike77 is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 11:22 AM
  #865
Reinhart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Azores
Posts: 585
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I don't exactly get what you are saying. Do you think he should be with the Flames right now?

He will finish his degree this year, and come to the Flames in the off-season. He will get a few games at the beginning of next year before heading down to the AHL for the year (IMO)

Flames draft McDavid in 2015, Roll a lineup of:

Sven - Monahan - Poirier
Gaudreau - Reinhart - Hudler
Glencross - McDavid - some UFA

Just my opinion.
I don't think Gaudreau will be finishing his degree this year - this is only his third year of college. I do think he leaves after this season and gets a few games in with Calgary at the end of their season though.

Reinhart is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 11:30 AM
  #866
Pauline Hisman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
I don't think Gaudreau will be finishing his degree this year - this is only his third year of college. I do think he leaves after this season and gets a few games in with Calgary at the end of their season though.
I think you are correct about Gaudreau not finishing his 3rd year at BC .

Pauline Hisman is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 11:43 AM
  #867
Pauline Hisman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Is his brother any good?
Not as good as Johnny , but better then some of what coach York is playing !

Pauline Hisman is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 11:48 AM
  #868
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
 
Patmac40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
Gaudreau seems like a guy you probably shouldn't throw into the fire (NHL) as of yet. Let him develop his strength and his pro game in the AHL first and then move him along. He could be a fantastic player for them but they would be best not to rush him. Maybe a couple NHL games at the end of the season wouldn't hurt just to give him a taste and then spend the year in the AHL next year and see how that goes.

Patmac40 is online now  
Old
10-28-2013, 11:56 AM
  #869
Abbotsford Heat
Registered User
 
Abbotsford Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,176
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Hisman View Post
I'm guessing Gaudreau is a very disappointed BC Eagle . You can tell by the way he is performing on that sheet of ice . Yesterday's game showed it in every fashion .He's a much better hockey player then that . I think he's not playing up to his potential because he stayed at BC to play with his younger brother Matty and Matty has only seen action in one period of the first game " with an assist " mind you . Time for Coach Hartley or Feaster to contact Gaudreau . Just my thought . I could be wrong .
and cue the baseless speculation

Abbotsford Heat is online now  
Old
10-28-2013, 12:12 PM
  #870
Pauline Hisman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
2+ seasons and the WJC mean nothing, a bad game against Minnesota shows what he really is.

Yeah you're right , he's worthless.

Pauline Hisman is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 12:15 PM
  #871
ocarina
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Hisman View Post
What exactly are you trying to say ?
How do you make that connection that he isn't producing as much as he should (even though 8 points in 5 games looks pretty decent to me) and that it's related to his brother not playing?

Also, serious question, is his younger brother even on scholarship right now? I know stats aren't everything, but he only put up very modest numbers in the USHL last year.

ocarina is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
  #872
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline Hisman View Post
Yes I think he should be with the Flames right now .
I don't, he is best served playing less and bulking up more. He would be very hard-pressed to gain weight playing 82 games in the NHL. Not to mention i doubt he is physically ready for NHL top 6 minutes. Sven is a couple inches taller and almost 20 pounds heavier and he gets thrown around pretty easily. Gaudreau would get destroyed. Last thing we need is to harm his development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Lol that's pretty optimistic.

As usual the Flames aren't a great team - but they don't look bad enough to contend for last overall.

Something could certainly change between now and the end of the season, but they look more like a 6-10 team than a bottom 5.
I dont know, we are only 10 games into the season and the Flames are sitting in 17th overall. As the season wears on we will get worse and worse. Top 5 pick is almost a guarantee for us IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
I don't think Gaudreau will be finishing his degree this year - this is only his third year of college. I do think he leaves after this season and gets a few games in with Calgary at the end of their season though.
You are correct, i apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Gaudreau seems like a guy you probably shouldn't throw into the fire (NHL) as of yet. Let him develop his strength and his pro game in the AHL first and then move him along. He could be a fantastic player for them but they would be best not to rush him. Maybe a couple NHL games at the end of the season wouldn't hurt just to give him a taste and then spend the year in the AHL next year and see how that goes.
This. IMO he is NHL bound in 2015-2016. He needs years to develop and gain weight.

TylerSVT* is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
  #873
Pauline Hisman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
How do you make that connection that he isn't producing as much as he should (even though 8 points in 5 games looks pretty decent to me) and that it's related to his brother not playing?

Also, serious question, is his younger brother even on scholarship right now? I know stats aren't everything, but he only put up very modest numbers in the USHL last year.
Yes his brother is there on a scholarship .

Pauline Hisman is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 02:58 PM
  #874
KeepitinPitt
Registered User
 
KeepitinPitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gibsonia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
Not that it's any of my business, and I appreciate the insight, but it might not be in Johnny's best interest to go public with any issues he may have with Boston College. It's probably best to just keep that in house and let him handle it. That said, I'm rooting for the kid. One of the most exciting prospects I've seen, and he's really made us US hockey fans proud. Can't wait to see him play in the NHL.

KeepitinPitt is offline  
Old
10-28-2013, 08:12 PM
  #875
Iggy-4-50
Registered User
 
Iggy-4-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ask your wife
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I don't, he is best served playing less and bulking up more. He would be very hard-pressed to gain weight playing 82 games in the NHL. Not to mention i doubt he is physically ready for NHL top 6 minutes. Sven is a couple inches taller and almost 20 pounds heavier and he gets thrown around pretty easily. Gaudreau would get destroyed. Last thing we need is to harm his development.

This. IMO he is NHL bound in 2015-2016. He needs years to develop and gain weight.
Don't be so sure. Gaudreau has always fought threw his size issues and has suceeded to be a star in every league since he was 9 years old. Griffin Reinhart called him a "ghost" for his ability to avoid hits, he's also extremely strong for his size on his skates and isn't pushed off the puck very easily.

Remember, he doesn't play against kids in junior, he plays against 21+ young strong players right now.

IMO once BC's season is finished he signs and gets a cup of coffee with the Flames this spring.

Iggy-4-50 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.