HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2013, 07:49 PM
RIP Chris Butler
Feels bad man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
And the amazing thing is they don't even play on the same line. Talk about great having Gaudeau and Arnold on one line then Hayes on the other.

J. Gaudreau: 9 games, 9 goals, 9 assists, 18 points
K. Hayes: 9 games, 5 goals, 9 assists, 14 points
B. Arnold: 9 games, 3 goals, 11 assists, 14 points

I wonder what their stats would be with a Gaudrea/Hayes/Arnold line...
The best part is that 2 of them are Flames prospects

Old
11-11-2013, 09:26 PM
HockeyMind9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarome View Post
Exactly. College was truly the perfect route for this kid and the ultimate test to see if his level of play can translate to bigger, older, opposition. Everyone has in one point had doubts about Gaudreau for his limited potential due to size (including myself), but just watch him play and his dominance will make you a fan. He has incredible work ethic and apparently he's jacked. He was also by far the most impressive player at the flames training camp IMO.

It's the same song and dance for Gaudreau. If his skill translates he will become a star.

Went almost everyday to the summer camp. He is 5'9" at most, likely between 5'8" and 5'9". I'm 5'7" and when I was standing beside him, (without equipment or skates on), FlamesFanattic said he's at most 2 inches taller. After talking to reporters, Conroy, etc., he was 160lbs at camp and wants to get up to about 180 lbs by the time he hits the NHL. He is by no means "jacked." He has tiny chicken legs and barely looks much bigger than me and I'm not big. I'm sure he is quite strong, but in street clothes he still looks tiny.

At the camp, his skill was undeniable. He would regularly make players look foolish in drills (1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3, anything really.) This was against CHL, AHL and NCAA guys. Even against the big guys, he holds his own. He was flashier than Baertschi, Monahan, Jankowski and everyone really. Monahan was solid but was pretty much the opposite of Gaudreau while still being good.. Really solid, big and strong, not flashy at all but still got the job done. I think the two of them would be perfect to play together (both incredibly smart), Monahan has enough offence to contribute while he is defensively responsible to allow Gaudreau to take chances.

Old
11-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMind9 View Post
Went almost everyday to the summer camp. He is 5'9" at most, likely between 5'8" and 5'9". I'm 5'7" and when I was standing beside him, (without equipment or skates on), FlamesFanattic said he's at most 2 inches taller. After talking to reporters, Conroy, etc., he was 160lbs at camp and wants to get up to about 180 lbs by the time he hits the NHL. He is by no means "jacked." He has tiny chicken legs and barely looks much bigger than me and I'm not big. I'm sure he is quite strong, but in street clothes he still looks tiny.

At the camp, his skill was undeniable. He would regularly make players look foolish in drills (1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3, anything really.) This was against CHL, AHL and NCAA guys. Even against the big guys, he holds his own. He was flashier than Baertschi, Monahan, Jankowski and everyone really. Monahan was solid but was pretty much the opposite of Gaudreau while still being good.. Really solid, big and strong, not flashy at all but still got the job done. I think the two of them would be perfect to play together (both incredibly smart), Monahan has enough offence to contribute while he is defensively responsible to allow Gaudreau to take chances.
Sounds like a legit future NHLer...

Old
11-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Sounds like a legit future NHLer...
Or perhaps a great sign seeing that he has a ways to go physically, but is dominating at his size? You can look at it both ways with prospects. Some are 'men' that do well because they are physically superior, and when they get into the NHL they hit a wall. Others need more development time but have all the skill in the world.

Pretty sure working out with professional trainers will add some size to his legs.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Bad News Bears
LISTEN TO LIFETIME

He's got the skillz that killz. Too bad his size will cross your eyes.

Last edited by Bad News Bears: 11-11-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 11:53 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post
He's got the skillz that killz. To bad his size will cross your eyes.
That was a dope way of spinnin' it

Old
11-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Bad News Bears
LISTEN TO LIFETIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
That was a dope way of spinnin' it
Gettin' it, gettin' it, gettin' it, gettin' it ON!

Old
11-14-2013, 11:18 AM
DarzipanMildo

Fleury 2.0?

Puck Daddy:

Quote:
Johnny Gaudreau isn't much to look at on the ice. He's listed at 5-foot-7 and 150, but the lack of size seems to have no effect. I've seen him play in each of the last two weekends and he has been uniformly magnificent. In his last four games, he has six goals and four assists.

Old
11-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

He doesn't play like Fleury. All they have in common is their size. Hopefully he has similar success though.

Old
11-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Signature
Trademarked™

vCash: 425
He plays like Kane with the size of St Louis.

Old
11-14-2013, 06:41 PM
thomashefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
He plays like Kane with the size of St Louis.
he definately doesnt have the same frame of st louis, more similar to kane in that respect.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:13 AM
jarome

Kid scored again today. He now has 19 points in his last 10 games.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Trae

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarome View Post
Kid scored again today. He now has 19 points in his last 10 games.
10 goals in 10

Old
11-15-2013, 10:58 AM
TylerSVT*

It would be great to see him play a game or 2 for the Flames at the end of the season.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:14 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Is Boston makes the Frozen Four, their season lasts longer then ours.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Goodlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The North View Post
Is Boston makes the Frozen Four, their season lasts longer then ours.
He might get a chance to play with Abbotsford for their playoff run, although he'd have to be signed before the roster freeze.

Old
11-15-2013, 06:19 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
It would be great to see him play a game or 2 for the Flames at the end of the season.
I'd like to see him put on more muscle before stepping into the NHL.

I remember seeing him get crushed once in last year's WJC against Slovakia (I think) when he got hit hard against the boards lunging for a puck near the blue line, and I was convinced he had a separated shoulder. Even if he doesn't get hit often I worry about him missing months to a separated shoulder or some other injury just because he has so little muscle mass on his body and some contact is unavoidable.

I'd much rather see Calgary take it slowly with Gaudreau so he can avoid as many injuries as possible and get the time he needs in the weight room to put on weight to be able to withstand the occasional hard hit he will receive in the NHL.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Reinhart

For those that like these type of breakdowns, this one is pretty good. It was Gaudreau's 'amazing assist' on Arnold's goal last week.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...amazing-assist

Old
11-21-2013, 05:29 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Another ridiculously awesome game by Gaudreau last night. Check out the GIFs and video here: http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...au-bill-arnold

He might be the top prospect in hockey (despite what the HF says).

Old
11-21-2013, 05:31 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

23 Points, 12 Goals in 12 Games. Just absolutely silly numbers.

11-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Billy Arnold is having quite a season as well, being a leader on that young BC team and gelling with Johnny Hockey!

Old
11-24-2013, 08:59 PM
herashak

What are his chances making the world championships. lot of top guys might take it off after just going to the olympics. ripped up the world juniors.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Goodlad

New Johnny article in the Herald:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...medium=twitter

Quote:
He just hasn’t signed yet, is all.

So don’t necessarily go thinking Gaudreau’s planning on waiting it out in order to run out as a free agent, scurry off in the dead of night carrying donations to the collection plate or the parson’s daughter.

“Yeah, I definitely hear about it. A lot,” he laughs. “My mom, who doesn’t know too much about the business side of hockey, is always talking about that, reading stuff on the Internet. Me? I’m just excited to be a part of Calgary.

“Just seeing how they’re rebuilding, those younger guys stepping into the lineup makes me feel more comfortable knowing that maybe I’ll get a shot up there and I can prove myself capable of playing. It’s cool to see how much the coaching staff uses the young guys, Monahan, Baertschi, and how they’re trying to reload and rebuild their organization.

“For next year? I’m kinda just playing it by ear. I’m not really sure what to think right now. I’m just concentrating on finishing up this one and then we’ll see what happens.”

Old
12-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Love the praise for Billy at the end. Criminally underrated

Old
12-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Monahan View Post
Love the praise for Billy at the end. Criminally underrated
Agreed!

I see him as an NHL player soon - he has the size, hockey IQ, strength, nice hands, offensive and defensive acumen and he is so dynamic. He really impressed more than I thought at the prospects camp.

I think the only knock on his game is perhaps his acceleration. Not bad by any means, but just his weakest link. He will probably never be a top 6 forward, but he will be a mainstay on the 4th or perhaps even 3rd lines, and you can throw him out in all situations.

I sometimes wonder if Gaudreau was not at BC, would Arnold have more of a following? Gaudreau might be short in stature, but he sure casts a very big shadow!

Closed Thread