HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Players you can't compare.

Old
07-10-2011, 07:09 AM
tikkanen5rings*

vCash: 500
Players you can't compare.

From the "just like me" thread I got the idea. What are the players historic or current that were/are so unique that you just can't compare them to anyone?

I'm gonna start with Peter Forsberg some compare him to Malkin to me it seems crazy. Forsberg was a scary combination of a clutch powerforward/playmaker/dangler with a mean streak. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who played the game like he did.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:32 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
I don't think I've ever seen anyone who played the game like he did
trottier?

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:36 AM
steveat

Off the top of my head. Darius Kasparaitis...evil guy with hilight reel hits and a European..the European part is the highly unique thing.

Also Rick Middleton..some real nice goals in his career, but whenever he scores...he just skates away like nothing happened...sure he hugs his team mates..but you will almost never see him lift his arms after a goal...if he does...it is literally for a split second. Maybe this is more of a character thing and not a "style" of player.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:41 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Darius Kasparaitis
samuelsson and|or konstantinov

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:58 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
trottier?
Well, not exactly.

Trottier did everything Forsberg did, only he did everything better.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...0&postcount=16

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 07-10-2011 at 08:17 AM.
BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:59 AM
steveat

forgot about samuelsson. Ok...fair point..

I dono..drawing a blank here..maybe you should change this to rare styles of play 8-)

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Johnny Engine

Nels Stewart seems the most obvious one to me.
A center who could barely skate, didn't play any defense at all, and nothing special as a playmaker, but was such a good sniper that he led the league in goals twice and points once. That, and he was enforcer-tough and even led the league in penalty minutes once.
You can bring up Esposito, Kerr, Andreychuk, etc as guys who stood in front of the net and scored a lot, but only Esposito was a center, and none of those guys were serious fighters, or quite so useless at defense or puckwinning.

Johnny Engine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:50 AM
SidGenoMario

Crosby. Not the greatest hands, but definitely the greatest hand-eye I've ever seen in my life. Plays like a 3rd line grinder, scores points like a hall of famer. Just ridiculous.

Last edited by SidGenoMario: 07-10-2011 at 09:57 AM.
SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Well, not exactly.

Trottier did everything Forsberg did, only he did everything better.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...0&postcount=16
Trottier is one of my favorite players and he enjoyed better health than Foppa but he wasn't nearly as dynamic and was probably physically stronger than Foppa as well

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Ishdul

The Sedins are going to be hard comparisons for any one to make. Obviously their have been great duos with a ton of chemistry but it's hard to think of ones that generated as much as they have (instead of one's that were just being flat out better players) and obviously you couldn't play together any longer than they have. To put it another way, I couldn't imagine other players being so intertwined with their linemate that a draft scouting report would have to make strong mention of that specific linemate, or a case of say trade value being as dependent on them being a duo.

Ishdul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Off the top of my head. Darius Kasparaitis...evil guy with hilight reel hits and a European..the European part is the highly unique thing.
Danny Markov?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
I don't know if OP did mean only skaters, but Dominik Hasek had a pretty unique style.

Tim Thomas is also another goalie with a non-traditional style, but not as unique as Dominator's.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:21 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Crosby. Not the greatest hands, but definitely the greatest hand-eye I've ever seen in my life. Plays like a 3rd line grinder, scores points like a hall of famer. Just ridiculous.
Agreed. His skill set makes it completely possible for him to excel even when his linemates are weak.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
I think if you would watch a homage to the goals he has scored you'd beg to differ that he has "not the greatest hands". I know you have seen Crosby play many times so I wonder what you're thinking. If you are comparing him to the hands of Lemieux then I can see, but there are few players in the NHL with better hands than him right now. Datsyuk, maybe Malkin. I agree he does muck it up in the corners as good as any star player has.

No one mentioned the obvious name yet? Gretzky. Really, who would be even close to this guy's style? A player who is a shade below 6'0", really skinny, couldn't bench press that much, was choppy skater with average speed, didn't own a hard shot. But he offset that with hockey sense, anticipation, playmaking and accuracy. I really can't find someone with his style and wouldn't even know which name to start with.

How about Ted Lindsay? Small, at 5'8" but dirty and as competitive as all get out. The best thing I can think of would be Pat Verbeek but we all know he wasn't nearly as effective. Other than that who would Lindsay compare to style-wise?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
How about Ted Lindsay? Small, at 5'8" but dirty and as competitive as all get out. The best thing I can think of would be Pat Verbeek but we all know he wasn't nearly as effective. Other than that who would Lindsay compare to style-wise?
Theo Fleury?

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:06 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Theo Fleury?

EDIT: LOL, beaten to the punch, with the exact wording to boot

MadArcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:11 PM
matnor

For a really obscure one, how about Ulf Dahlén. Great along the boards and had this weird skating style of pushing himself along with just one skate.

matnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:24 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemieux.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:31 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
From the "just like me" thread I got the idea. What are the players historic or current that were/are so unique that you just can't compare them to anyone?

I'm gonna start with Peter Forsberg some compare him to Malkin to me it seems crazy. Forsberg was a scary combination of a clutch powerforward/playmaker/dangler with a mean streak. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who played the game like he did.
Your username, OP, is the best of the thread no matter what.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:34 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextune View Post
Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemieux.
Agreed

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:44 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matnor View Post
For a really obscure one, how about Ulf Dahlén. Great along the boards and had this weird skating style of pushing himself along with just one skate.
Yeah, he was crazy good along the boards with that weird lateral skating he did.

Old
07-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Infinite Vision*

From what I've seen Forsberg does possess the best overall/absolute skill, and that's not even taking into account his physical game which is also among the very best of scoring players ever. He quite simply was a freak of a player. Rattles my head how some can still think the guy is overrated.

Hasek was the most unique and best goalie I've ever seen play.

I can honestly say, as skilled as Ovechkin is, I've never seen someone try harder to score as often/consistently from game to game. He possesses an enormous amount of will for someone with his skillset.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Sabres1026*

Lemieux or lindros.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:20 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Vision View Post
From what I've seen Forsberg does possess the best overall/absolute skill, and that's not even taking into account his physical game which is also among the very best of scoring players ever. He quite simply was a freak of a player. Rattles my head how some can still think the guy is overrated.
He is overrated because people say silly things like "Forsberg would put up 160+ points in the 80s" or "Forsberg was the best player ever because of x y z" when he clearly isn't in that upper stratosphere of all time players - partly due to his constant injuries.

Forsberg was a great complete player. The closest thing to Bryan Trottier since Bryan Trottier.

Bryan was a better goalscorer, better defensively and even more physical, though.

Trottier was an absolutely punishing physical player and it seemed sort of like he had cement blocks on his feet at the moment of impact when he was hitting because he was so solid on his skates.

Quote:
Hasek was the most unique and best goalie I've ever seen play.
I don't even know how to describe Hasek to someone who hasn't seen him. He just seemed to sprawl, kick, dive, lunge or whatever else he needed to do to stop the puck and it worked. He was very unique.

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 07-10-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old
07-10-2011, 07:55 PM
connellc

Andrei Nazarov. Pretty much the only Russian "goon" to play in the NHL. I can hardly name any that played in the AHL either.

connellc is offline   Reply With Quote