HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Murray

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2004, 12:38 PM
HABitude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Well can ya blame him when the captain does a disapearing act?
Thornton was playing injured. Anybody who knows how he normally plays would tell you. He wasn't the same during last playoffs and the rest of his line suffered. You can blame Murray for not having his game elevated or creating his own chances, but so with most of wingers in NHL while their superstar/center is playing injured.

Old
08-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Murray would be good to have with us. I could see him having between 27-35 goals with Koivu. If there is another winger from Boston I would pick before Murray, it would be Knuble. I think he isn't sign yet with Boston, or have been traded but the NHL players web site still says he's with Boston.

Knuble is not a snyper like Murray but I like more his physical play. Murray will get a lot of goals from Koivu's passes, Knuble will make Koivu and Zednik score more goals because he's very strong in the corners (uses his body more) and have a better work ethic.
Plus: Knuble is more natural on the left, Zednik is natural on the right wing.

edit: watching the last playoffs against Boston, I was more impressed by Knuble play rather than Murray. This is very personnal, my best friend who is an hockey fan says the same: he would take Knuble with the Habs before Murray. Having that said, both of them didn't succeed mainly because Thornton was badly injured in that PO round. But Knubled seemed to work a bit more with a Thornton not at his best.
Knuble signed with Philadelphia.

Old
08-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Thornton was playing injured. Anybody who knows how he normally plays would tell you. He wasn't the same during last playoffs and the rest of his line suffered. You can blame Murray for not having his game elevated or creating his own chances, but so with most of wingers in NHL while their superstar/center is playing injured.
He's no Koivu that's for sure.

Old
08-02-2004, 12:50 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
You are absolutely right... Knuble I think tried hard but he has very limited skills but Rolston and Murray just disappeared when needed most (and not the first time). That's why there is no room for them for the money they are asking.

Actually Murray didn't exactly disappeared. It was just an example what you can get from him without somebody else winning the puck or creating the plays for him.

Old
08-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
You are absolutely right... Knuble I think tried hard but he has very limited skills but Rolston and Murray just disappeared when needed most (and not the first time). That's why there is no room for them for the money they are asking.

Actually Murray didn't exactly disappeared. It was just an example what you can get from him without somebody else winning the puck or creating the plays for him.
ALthough putting 3 guys together on the same line that can't skate (ie Thornton could barely skate with his injury) is not such a good idea.

Old
08-02-2004, 01:07 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
ALthough putting 3 guys together on the same line that can't skate (ie Thornton could barely skate with his injury) is not such a good idea.
Obviously Thornton with the degree of his injury wasn't able to skate. If you were the Bruins coach, what would you do? It's easy to blame after it's done. In fact, Komi's body check aggravated Thornton so everything turned bad for them. There wasn't much options for the Bruins with Thornton injured (but being able to play at 50%).
Nylander's line was the most dangerous btw.
The only center for the Bruins that needs to be blame is Rolston IMO. He wasn't injured, he made that pretentious quote in newspaper before the round and he didn't performed. He's out now (Minnesota) and no Bruins fans complain about his loss (I guess).

Old
08-02-2004, 01:14 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl

You're right: Murray is like most shooter wingers. Without his center making the plays for him, he becomes a very ordinary player. Murray is a great shooter (follow my ligne de pensée...), so he is like our “Pierre Dagenais” ? :lol

Too bad Knuble isn't available anymore (signed with the Flyers). A perfect strong winger giving trouble to opposite D in the corners, creating scoring chances for his line. Could play anywhere on 1rst, 2nd or 3th line.

Last edited by HABitude: 08-02-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old
08-02-2004, 01:18 PM
eddy

I like Murray, probly would score alot of goals alongside Koivu as he's a great passer, but Kovalev is still ahead of him on my list. If we don't get Kovy, Murray would definetly be one of the other available UFA's i'd like to get for the 1st line.

Old
08-02-2004, 02:04 PM
bopeep

I don't want other team's leftovers (especially Boston's), underachievers, over-priced prima donnas, dressing room cancers - the list goes on. With our payroll as it is, I sincerely hope we go into the season with the hand that we've got - and give our youth movement a shot in the arm.

Old
08-02-2004, 02:41 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
I don't want other team's leftovers (especially Boston's), underachievers, over-priced prima donnas, dressing room cancers - the list goes on. With our payroll as it is, I sincerely hope we go into the season with the hand that we've got - and give our youth movement a shot in the arm.
I can understand "underachievers" but come on... "dressing room cancers"? Who do you call that?

Old
08-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

If murray plays on montreal.... he doesn't need to skate... he just needs to be in a good shooting area which murray is an expert at getting at. Koivu will take care of fnding him or zed. Also, murray is good at protecting the puck... he can create some time for koivu to recieve a handoff around the boards.

I see see murray doing what audette tried to do..... give koivu the puck to carry into the zone and enter a scoring area where you can recieve a pass and snipe it. Most of Murray's goals are in the slot.... in areas where you need a super quick release. I think this a good fit. I don;t believe he rode thornton's back. Thornton will miss him for sure.

Old
08-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
I don;t believe he rode thornton's back. Thornton will miss him for sure.
That sounds exactly like Clark was saying when he traded Lindros and gave LeClair an insane contract. The thing about Murray is that I feel that I am certain that he will produce if he comes here but then I will have to give him a contract that reflects that. This is why we must pass on players like this.

Old
08-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
That sounds exactly like Clark was saying when he traded Lindros and gave LeClair an insane contract. The thing about Murray is that I feel that I am certain that he will produce if he comes here but then I will have to give him a contract that reflects that. This is why we must pass on players like this.

This whole thread started on how murray needs to be looked at if kovalev is no longer a hab.

I never said BG should sign him no matter what..... he should at least inquire though.... if it doesn't make sense within the budget.... then that's fine, I can accept that

I just simply state that murray would be a good fit for reasons I already went through above

Old
08-02-2004, 08:24 PM
EaGLE1

Murray is not worth more than 3.5-3.7M in my opinion. This guy need a playmaker to produce. Kovalev don't need anyone to put points on the board.

Murray had 1 great season...and it's a lot because of Thornton who was magical that year. I think that Murray is a little bit like Kevin Stevens. Without Thornton, he will score 30 goals + 30 assists...which is very good but it's not worth over 4M per year. What happens if he sign a big big contract here and scored 17 goals the following year?? We are stuck with a liability.

Old
08-02-2004, 08:30 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
If Kovy don't resign, Murray can be a great Ufa to sign.He's big and can score goals.Some posters are saying that Murray isn't good in important moment or in the playoffs.Maybe it's true but it's NOT only Murray that didn't produce in the playoff but all the whole Boston players.At a moment Theodore had more points then Big Joe :lol.

Murray can produce a lot if Koivu stay healthy.He can score 28-35 goals.We need players with Size now and good goalscorer.Murray can be a great fit in the first or second line.Murray can add the size some size to our second line.He gonna make us forget about the lack of size of Ribs.We gonna be a big team with him.Him and Bonk are good big players.Bonk is more a checking center, Murray is more a big goal scorer.He isn't a ''Power forward'' but he can hit and dominate the game.He's not more expensive then Kovy.He'll sign at 3 or 3.5 millions.NOT MORE !! But he's consistent , so I don't worry about if he gonna produce in Montreal or not.He's connsitent in the last three years he averaged like 39 goals.That's because of Thornthon but Koivu will help him to produce a lot too.

If Kovy don't resign,Murray can be a great option.

Last edited by CH Wizard: 08-02-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old
08-02-2004, 08:35 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
If Kovy don't resign, Murray can be a great Ufa to sign.He's big and can score goals.Some posters are saying that Murray isn't good in important moment or in the playoffs.Maybe it's true but it's only Murray that didn't produce in the playoff but all the whole Boston players..
Murray did look great after Kovalev's mistake in game 4 when he scored on the breakaway. He was opportunist and proved that he could be quick and amazing goalscorer. After all, he scored 2 goals, which is not bad for today's standards.

Old
08-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Maxpac

Whu do all of you want Murray? Micheal Ryder is the exact copy of Murray. We need a powerforward, someone who can go in front of the net, period! If only Hossa or Dagenais palyed with more grit or hearth, both have the body to endure that job but both have poor work ethics

Old
08-02-2004, 08:45 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
Whu do all of you want Murray? Micheal Ryder is the exact copy of Murray. We need a powerforward, someone who can go in front of the net, period! If only Hossa or Dagenais palyed with more grit or hearth, both have the body to endure that job but both have poor work ethics
If Murray is a copy of Ryder, i want one.

Old
08-03-2004, 01:12 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I wouldn't mind seeing Murray in a Habs uni, but only after we know Kovy won't be signed by us.

Old
08-03-2004, 01:23 AM
leafaholix*

I think if either Toronto or Detroit are seriously interested (rumours), Montreal would have a very difficult time signing Murray. The other two teams have the advantage financially and in other aspects.

But Montreal could use a guy like Murray, any team could.

Old
08-03-2004, 02:05 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I hope Toronto takes him, just more proof they are dirty men buying hookers

Old
08-03-2004, 12:19 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
If Murray is a copy of Ryder, i want one.
Ryder is already a copy of Murray in cheaper and younger. I do prefer Ryder for his entousiasm and his work ethic.

Dagenais have a better wrist shot than Murray. The wrist shot and the snap shot of Dagenais are very very heavy. I haven't seen that kind of shots very often. A snap shot of 85 mph and a wrist shot of 70 mph: Dagenais might be in the top 5 of the league in that department. With Kovalev of course...

Hope BG signs Kovy, please BG sign Kovy ...

Old
08-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

If you think Kovalev can be a floater at times, you wouldn't want Murray.

Old
08-03-2004, 12:55 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
If you think Kovalev can be a floater at times, you wouldn't want Murray.
A floater at times with a tremendious shot is accepted here. Also, we don't underrate Muyrray that much, we beleive he have enough qualities in general. And playing with Koivu (any of Kovalev or Murray) will make a lasy at times player more consistent. The crowd and the media pressure can play a role too.

Old
08-03-2004, 02:24 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
I don't quite understand where the "Cancer" comes from. Just because Murray was part of a long time rival does not mean he's a dressing room cancer. If he helps the Habs, I don't care who he use to play for.

Closed Thread