HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Asbury Avenue in Denver

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2011, 01:52 PM
  #1
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Asbury Avenue in Denver

I found a great place to live there, it's a student community. Can anybody give me an idea of what's around there?

Is it any type of place to be excited about living around?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:42 PM
  #2
Foppa Frossa
Registered User
 
Foppa Frossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,416
vCash: 50
If it is

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=asbury...17574&t=h&z=15

You're fairly close to DU. Depending on how old you are, that'll be a good place to hang out. The stretch of Colorado Blvd that runs down by where you'll be is fairly sketchy, but there is a big Dave & Busters and a movie theater next to I-25 and Colorado. You'll have easy access to trains for going downtown to hockey games

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:56 PM
  #3
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Yeah I just transferred to DU and it's a great little College Student Apartment Community and I'm excited about it.

It's pretty close to Daniels too so I'm happy.

What do you mean by sketchy? It's on East Asbury.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:18 PM
  #4
electricjib
Registered User
 
electricjib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,716
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Yeah I just transferred to DU and it's a great little College Student Apartment Community and I'm excited about it.

It's pretty close to Daniels too so I'm happy.

What do you mean by sketchy? It's on East Asbury.
Not a bad area. If I remember correctly lots of cool restaurants around that area. And very easy to get to the games on the light rail. it's an outdoor subway essentially. It goes straight to Pepsi Center.

If your not in Aurora, it's a safe bet that it's a good area

I live in Aurora

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:19 PM
  #5
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
My grandparents own homes in Aurora. A while ago I was hoping they'd just let me live in one. but they told me that was a bad idea...

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:45 PM
  #6
avs1dacup
Registered User
 
avs1dacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,434
vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Not a bad area. If I remember correctly lots of cool restaurants around that area. And very easy to get to the games on the light rail. it's an outdoor subway essentially. It goes straight to Pepsi Center.

If your not in Aurora, it's a safe bet that it's a good area

I live in Aurora
There's some parts of Denver that are pretty sketchy. And Englewood, off of Broadway is terrible. I hate going into that part of town. Other than that(and Aurora)most of the Denver area is pretty nice.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:56 PM
  #7
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 18,488
vCash: 69
like 99% of the denver area is nice.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:47 PM
  #8
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 50
Broadway has to be one of the worse streets in the Western United States.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:13 PM
  #9
Gdav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Broadway has to be one of the worse streets in the Western United States.
Except for the part that runs through highlands ranch. G2P you will think no part of Denver is sketch if you are coming from Chicago

Gdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:17 PM
  #10
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
amen to that.

I'm pretty familiar with the Lakewood/Golden area... I was born there and frequently visit family. The new experience is going to actually be LIVING in Denver.

The only warning I've heard from family members is avoid five-point and Aurora.

I"m not too worried. I'm happy to finally get out on my own... Staying at a local college for two years saved a ton of money but I'm ready to leave.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:44 PM
  #11
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 50
I agree Gdav that around Littleton/HR Broadway is pretty cool, but as you go North it becomes more trashy and street lights upon street lights, but there are some really good restaurants though around the Englewood area.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:45 PM
  #12
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
All I know is there's a great Thai restaurant literally 1/2 a block from Daniels that I'll be excited to frequent.

S E P H- PM's are up and running again.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:53 PM
  #13
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
All I know is there's a great Thai restaurant literally 1/2 a block from Daniels that I'll be excited to frequent.

S E P H- PM's are up and running again.
Bro I totally forgot what I was going to say.

G2P check out Anthony's Pizza next to DU. It's amazing!

Also Saigon Palace on Broadway has to be one of the top 3 Asia restaurant in Colorado.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:54 PM
  #14
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 29,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Broadway has to be one of the worse streets in the Western United States.
Turn east on Colfax and tell me what you think.

The points and Cap Hill aren't near as bad as they used to be. Fortunatel little reason to go to Aurora will ever present itself.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
  #15
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ballarado
Country: United States
Posts: 6,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Broadway has to be one of the worse streets in the Western United States.
Absolutely not.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
  #16
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Turn east on Colfax and tell me what you think.
Well there's old and run down and then there's ghetto projects like there are here in Chicago.

Hardly a comparison.

if this is "bad Denver"



it hardly compares to "bad Chicago"


Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
  #17
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Turn east on Colfax and tell me what you think.
I was talking more about the street lights and the run down plazas then crack heads.

But.....

Went down there one time with my friend during daylight. A lot of hobo Mexicans and strip joints. Overall though it wasn't as bad everyone says it is. Night though is a different story.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:59 PM
  #18
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Bro I totally forgot what I was going to say.

G2P check out Anthony's Pizza next to DU. It's amazing!

Also Saigon Palace on Broadway has to be one of the top 3 Asia restaurant in Colorado.
I'll check it out.

I'm excited to make treks to Idaho Springs for Beaujeaus pizza too.

edit: then again I am coming from the Pizza Capital (disputed) of the United States

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:00 PM
  #19
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Well there's old and run down and then there's ghetto projects like there are here in Chicago.

Hardly a comparison.

if this is "bad Denver"



it hardly compares to "bad Chicago"


Brah the most violent street in Colorado is like Heaven compared to Chicago.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:02 PM
  #20
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
I just hope i don't end up with bad roommates. I'm going to be in a 4 bedroom 4 bathroom apartment... The community is great.

S E P H do you live on or off campus?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:03 PM
  #21
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I'll check it out.

I'm excited to make treks to Idaho Springs for Beaujeaus pizza too.

edit: then again I am coming from the Pizza Capital (disputed) of the United States
I love Chi-town over New York, but NY has a way better pizza.

There have been a few more Beaujeau pizza's opening around Colorado. One I know is on Colorado Boulevard and another one is in Boulder. But I'll stay as far away from JB as possible.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:05 PM
  #22
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,220
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I just hope i don't end up with bad roommates. I'm going to be in a 4 bedroom 4 bathroom apartment... The community is great.

S E P H do you live on or off campus?
I live off campus, I just can't stand dorms. I actually live about 45 minutes to an 1 hour away, funny that.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:46 PM
  #23
theswede
Registered User
 
theswede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: searing gaspain land
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdav View Post
G2P you will think no part of Denver is sketch if you are coming from Chicago
This.

Quote:
Broadway has to be one of the worse streets in the Western United States.
Worst paved, maybe.

The DU area, University & Evans, is a good area, with some good development going on.

theswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:41 PM
  #24
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 18,488
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I was talking more about the street lights and the run down plazas then crack heads.

But.....

Went down there one time with my friend during daylight. A lot of hobo Mexicans and strip joints. Overall though it wasn't as bad everyone says it is. Night though is a different story.
I live on federal. Hobo Mexicans and strip joints just make a place look ******.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:43 PM
  #25
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan
 
Helton4Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Storming the Gates
Country: South Korea
Posts: 18,488
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Broadway has to be one of the worse streets in the Western United States.
lulz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I love Chi-town over New York, but NY has a way better pizza.

There have been a few more Beaujeau pizza's opening around Colorado. One I know is on Colorado Boulevard and another one is in Boulder. But I'll stay as far away from JB as possible.
what are you getting at mister??

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I live off campus, I just can't stand dorms. I actually live about 45 minutes to an 1 hour away, funny that.
Do you ride the lightrail? It's great.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.