HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fave Hockey Quotes

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2004, 06:14 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
My favorite hockey quote is the one by Patrick Roy. After being asked by reporters why he didnt respond to Jeremy Roenick's trash talk during the game, Roy said, "I couldn't hear what he was saying because I've got two Stanley Cup rings clogging my ears".
I remember that. I don't mind Roenick, but he can be pretty arrogant at times and that looked good on him.

Old
08-01-2004, 08:33 AM
GD|eNSo

No Almo Quotes, Yet, Hunh?

I got this from TMLFANS.ca

Alexander Mogilny:

After his hip surgery, and asked about his health and return:
Quote:
"It's like you are just about to have sex ... it's getting closer and closer, and you can't wait,"
When asked how he was going to spend his time during the Christmas holiday, Mogilny replied:
Quote:
"Get pissed."
When asked about Gary Roberts protein shakes:
Quote:
“I don't know what's in them and I don't want to know," said Mogilny, "All I know is I don't want to be 40 years old and be growing a second head."
On a ref giving him the gate after he yelled at them:
Quote:
"He didn't have to throw me out. He hears those words all the time."
Regarding Santa Claus, who was nothing more than a mysterious legend to kids who grew up in the old communist system:
Quote:
"Does he live in the north? I don't know where the hell he lives, really. They never told us. Maybe he's in one of those government project buildings. But he comes from somewhere."
Alex Mogilny suspects the fat man's (Santa) movements were rigidly controlled by authorities in the old Soviet Union:
Quote:
"You put presents under the tree and hopefully, by the time you (sober) up the next evening, something is still there," Mogilny said.
When asked about face sheilds:
Quote:
"I don't know, I don't care. I can wear them (face shields) one day, then not wear it the next day. It's like a pair of glasses, some days I wear it, some days I don't. It doesn't make a difference. I'm not wearing any underwear either. There is no reason."
Asked by reporters how his foot injury was, he replied:
Quote:
h, that's OK, but my pelvis is out of whack!"
On why it is hard to move Nik Antropov from the front of the net:
Quote:
"He's 7 feet tall and 400 pounds!"
Talking about Kaberle. They were saying how he is camera shy, but he is cocky, and relaxed when there are no cameras. They asked Domi, and Tie said that Kaberle is cocky, but in a good way. Then the interviewer told Mogilny that she hears that Kaberle is cocky, and Mogilny looked confused, looked at the girl and said:
Quote:
"He wears Khakis?"
When asked by a Hurricanes beat writer what he planned to do with a full day off, Mogilny, motioning outside, replied:
Quote:
"There are a lot of things to see out there. A couple of highways. I'm going to go check the cars out."

Ill see if I can find more.....

Old
08-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Tretiak

My favorite hockey quote is from Dennis Hull and it went something like this:

"I once signed a 10 million dollar contract with the Chicago Blackhawks. The trouble was getting THEM to sign it!"

Old
08-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Puckhead

Pat Burns, then the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, after playing a game in Winnipeg..."It's the only place you can watch your dog run away for three days..."

Classic Burnsie...Get well soon pal!

Old
08-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Mothra

Dino on Claude Lemieux after losing in the playoffs and the Draper hit....

"I cant believe I shook that guys frickin hand"

Ron Francis after winning one of his Lady Byngs.....I dont remember the exact quote but he thought it was funny winning the trophy because he was the "goon of his line"

Old
08-01-2004, 12:03 PM
HockeyMan9

Kevin Dineen during his final NHL game speaking to Chris Gratton.
"The best move this organization ever made was not acquing you."

Old
08-01-2004, 10:42 PM
hotgoalie11565

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk

10. (personal favorite)Al Iafrate has the puck and is moving into the opposition zone. The other team has pulled their goalie to attempt to tie up the game late in the third. Iafrate passes up the easy empty netter, and dumps the puck into the corner, running out the clock.

After the game, the reporters gather around and ask him why he didn't want to score the free goal. So Al replies:

"Empty net goals are for homos".

ROFLMAO!!

Old
08-01-2004, 11:05 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
All ice is home ice.

I heard the following abscribed to a hockey coach:

"Ok everyone, line up in a circle and pair off in threes."

Old
08-01-2004, 11:20 PM
cam

Amazing breakaway move quote...

"I only have one move on a breakaway... I go backhand-five hole-shelf.
-unknown

Old
08-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Thresher

most of these quotes are laugh out loud funny haha...like a clown funny

"He wears Khakis?" :lol

I think this one was said during a Sharks fan/player autograph session...when a little girl was walking beside her mom...turning her head this way and that...then she tugged on her mom's shirt and asked - "Mom? - Is Britney Spears here!?"

whereas, Mike Ricci overheard and replied, rather monotone:

"I am Britney Spears"

Old
08-04-2004, 12:34 AM
brylin18

"What's the 'C' stand for? Selfish?" - Claude Lemieux to Eric Desjardins during 2000 playoffs.

Old
08-04-2004, 12:49 AM
CapsCrazy

Send a message via AIM to CapsCrazy
I heard this one from my brother... During an interview before the draft, a reporter asked Ovechkin what he thought of America. Alex responded something like "Oh he's a really good player. Strong skater, good hands. He has a bright future."

Old
08-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
i think just about everything roenick has ever said has been funny. the man should have his own reality tv show

Not a good idea. Unless it was completely unscripted. He can't act. Did you not see any of those stupid ads with him, Anson Carter, and others "Rooming with JR" or something stupid that promoted the NHL On Demand package on digitial cable?

The guy is a character but one thing people don't realize is that reality TV is very scripted in the planning and execution and set up of the characters.

It's not actually live and happening before your eyes as it unfolded on the set, island, home whatever.

Old
08-05-2004, 04:10 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

thoese are all hillarious!!!

Old
08-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Jeff Goldblum

"It's a great day for hockey."

-Badger Bob Johnson

Old
08-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Malefic74

Surprised I haven't seen this one.

Rangers beat writer is doing a human interest story on Rangers goalie "Gump" Worsley:

Writer: "So Gump, what team gives you the most problems as a goalie?"

Worsley: "The Rangers."

Old
08-05-2004, 05:32 PM
LeafsGirl

hahaha too funny man!
thanks for the site!

Old
08-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Darth Milbury

One of my favorites was Islander Hall-of-Famer Clark Gillies. When asked where Moose Jaw (his home town) was located he replied, "About 9 feet from Moose's rear...."

Old
08-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Erngueva

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/citations/police_e.htm

A couple of quotes from Pat Burns.

Old
08-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Erngueva

A couple more from the same site.

Mario Lemieux, who has never been known as an athlete who likes to train, was once asked by a journalist what he was doing to stay in shape:
'A month before the season I don't order fries with my club sandwich.'
-- Mario Lemieux

-----------------------------------------

A week after the Canadiens/Devils trade that brought Richer to Montréal for tough defenseman Lyle Odelein (5'10", 206 lbs, 985 penalty minutes in his first 293 NHL games), Stéphane Richer commented on his new team to Le Journal de Montréal:

"The Canadiens need a big defenseman"

-- Stéphane Richer, August 28, 1996
Really?! Maybe there's an extra one in... New Jersey?!

---------------------------
To explain the Québec Nordiques' decision to give a 2-year contract to the Soviet National Team #1 goalie, Sergei Mylnikov, for $300,000 a year (which, in 1989-90, was the average salary of the 200 best paid NHLers) plus the same amount for the Soviet hockey federation, the president of the Nordiques said:

"In order to bounce back as one of the league's more competitive team, we simply had no choice but to go all out and get an athlete of Sergei's caliber"
-- Marcel Aubut - September 1989

Aubut did better negotiating a price when he sold the Nordiques than scouting players...! Mylnikov, who was never again seen playing hockey in North America, played 10 games for the Nordiques with a record of 1 win, 7 losses, 2 ties and a GAA of 4.96.
---------------
Traded from Montréal to Vancouver after a verbal fight with his coach, goon Donald Brashear was invited to comment on the clause that Habs' GM, Réjean Houle, added to the trade, which prevented Brashear from playing the 1st time the Canucks faced the Habs:

"It's the first time he [Réjean Houle] is quick on something."
-- Donald Brashear, November 16, 1996

Oh! And Donald Brashear is considered to be a benchmark when it comes to quickness - mentally and on the ice!

------------------------------------------------------
Five games into the 1995-96 season, the top management of the Canadiens fires GM Serge Savard and its coach Jacques Demers. A few days later, they announce the appointment of Réjean Houle (GM), Mario Tremblay (coach) and Yvan Cournoyer (assistant coach) who don’t have any experience in similar positions. Journalists ask the Canadiens’ goalie about his thoughts on the hiring of Tremblay, Houle and Cournoyer :

"I was watching the news on RDS (Québec Sports Network) and when I saw them appear, I went to the shower. I took a cold shower to make sure that I was really awake..."
-- Patrick Roy - September 1995

--------------------------------------------------------
The star goalie regarding his job :
"Stressful? Do you know a lot of jobs where everytime you make a mistake, a red light goes off over your head and 15,000 people start booing?"
-- Jacques Plante

-----------------------------------------------
After every game where the Leafs captain can’t get out of his lethargy, the media ask him for explanations. When asked if he’s fed up to have to face the same questions endlessly, the Swedish star answers:

"Absolutely not! I enjoy it! Every day, I look forward to those questions."
-- Mats Sundin - May 8, 1999

Sarcastic or masochistic?!

----------------------------------------------------

The owner of the Chicago Blackhawks to Ed Snider, the Flyers’ owner who had just been booed on the ice by Flyers fans during the All-Star game ceremonies

"Don’t let it bother you, Eddie, just do what I do. Every time Chicago fans boo me, I raise their ticket prices."

-- William Wirtz - 1992 All-Star Game

Last edited by Erngueva: 08-05-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old
08-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Thresher

From the book "In The Crease"

Bob Nevin with the LA Kings, talking to his teammates in the locker room after Toronto managed 32 shots on their netminder Gary Edwards in the 2nd period...(the final score, 6-2 Toronto)

"You know, guys, I'm pretty new on this team and I can see where your strategy is pretty good. I like the way we're staying out of the other end of the rink so the fog can build up around their net. Maybe in the next period we should try shooting some long ones through the fog. We might catch their goalie off-guard."

Old
08-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Shane

Tom Larscheid, CKNW radio commentator:

"Kirk McLean is so fundamentally sound. Look at how erect he is in the net."

"There's Sather, with that grin on his face, relaxing behind the bench, hands in his pockets, enjoying himself."

"Pavel Bure plays with such speed that his linemates can't keep up to him. If only he could play with himself out there, that would really give the fans a show."

Old
08-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

A good Matt Schnieder Qoute:

About whether or not he was the "cancer" causing tension within the Montreal Canadiens locker room

"No, I'm a Gemini."

Old
08-06-2004, 02:05 AM
ChubarovRocks

Send a message via MSN to ChubarovRocks
"I already have 1 Fedorov, and that's 1 too many" - Brian Burke on Fedor, and the possibility of the Canucks getting Sergi

Old
08-06-2004, 02:41 AM
SabresFan44

this is the best hockey quote of all time.....

When Totoo bit that Columbus guy Tyler Wright.. Wright said in an interview...I hear he's from Nunavit...i dont know if thats how they eat up there or what...

I was in tears ...great stuff

Closed Thread