HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

has the offseason changed your opinion?

Old
07-16-2011, 10:17 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Its hard to project him stuck behind backis.... isnt it?

I am still drinking the juice thinking he could be a top line center one day. I think our team may be better next year with Nick on 2 regardless. Ovi doesnt need a top dollar C to pot his 40.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:03 AM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its hard to project him stuck behind backis.... isnt it?

I am still drinking the juice thinking he could be a top line center one day. I think our team may be better next year with Nick on 2 regardless. Ovi doesnt need a top dollar C to pot his 40.
Ovechkin averaged 50 goals his 1st 4 years. He has the talent to score that, easily, if he's in shape. motivated and healthy all season.

It's not hard to project MoJo behind Backis. Backis is a two-time 90 pt C and MoJo hasn't broken 30 yet. The only thing he does better is skate fast. His upside is multi-tooled 2nd line C.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:14 AM
IafrateOvie34

I feel more confident about this team going into 2012 season than any other season before with exception to 1989-90 and 1991-92. Like any fan of their team, I always will have my opinion on players I would have gone after, but I think this off season was a big win. Last year, I was all for playing the rookies and was prepared to see some blood letting. Now that guys like Johansson, Alzner, Carlson, Neuvy have experience, I am more optimistic about the 2011-2012 season. Unlike years past, I can watch the Caps and have other things to occupy the regular season, the Winnipeg Jets and hoping Colorado is a lottery team. I just hope all the players show up to camp healthy and in shape.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Ridley Simon

Caps are better--

No one will argue that the Caps havent improved from start of last season. I beleive they have improved since the end of last year too. The season is long, there are still moves to be made. A vet offensive C is really all that's left on my wish list. Another violent D wouldnt hurt either.

This is the best team the Caps have ever had. We've always had some galring weakness as an organization...now we dont. We are as good as any team out there, and will be in every prognosticators top 5. Way too much talent and depth for anything catastrophic to occur, and arguably more than likely the #1 seed in the East, and the President's Trophy winner.

Playoffs...??? Hard nut to crack. Vokoun is a big deal, and arguably our single biggest potential ace in the hole. If he plays like he's capable of, we will go further in the playoffs than we have in the Ovechkin era. He is that good, and that stable.

Look at Boston and Tampa. Neither team goes anywhere near as far as they do without their goalies. Boston simply isnt the Cup winner (and prob woulnt have gotten past Montreal in rd 1) without Thomas.

Put it this way. If the Caps had Thomas last playoffs, do they win the cup?

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:45 AM
txpd

i think as long as the caps have boudreau and semin and green and schultz there will be somebody to argue any scenario where they win. its just a fact of life. this takes me back to your opening line, which is false.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think as long as the caps have boudreau and semin and green and schultz there will be somebody to argue any scenario where they win. its just a fact of life. this takes me back to your opening line, which is false.

I havent seen anyone claim that this years squad is measurably better coming into camp than last years squad. It can be argued that the the playoff loser was better as we dropped Arnott, Bradley, Gordon, Hannan etc. But....

Lets see what others have to say?

Old
07-17-2011, 12:39 PM
txpd

i am not trying to argue with you. i just know there is a segment here that believe that as long as boudreau and semin remain anything everything else is just shuffle the deck chairs on the titanic.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
No one will argue that the Caps havent improved from start of last season. I beleive they have improved since the end of last year too. The season is long, there are still moves to be made. A vet offensive C is really all that's left on my wish list. Another violent D wouldnt hurt either.

This is the best team the Caps have ever had. We've always had some galring weakness as an organization...now we dont. We are as good as any team out there, and will be in every prognosticators top 5. Way too much talent and depth for anything catastrophic to occur, and arguably more than likely the #1 seed in the East, and the President's Trophy winner.

Playoffs...??? Hard nut to crack. Vokoun is a big deal, and arguably our single biggest potential ace in the hole. If he plays like he's capable of, we will go further in the playoffs than we have in the Ovechkin era. He is that good, and that stable.

Look at Boston and Tampa. Neither team goes anywhere near as far as they do without their goalies. Boston simply isnt the Cup winner (and prob woulnt have gotten past Montreal in rd 1) without Thomas.

Put it this way. If the Caps had Thomas last playoffs, do they win the cup?
The way Thomas played this post season, I wouldn't have been shocked if we made the finals this past year. As much as I like our young goalies, there is no questioning a solid veteran that wants to win now. Add in the mix of what we had in veteran additions last season too. In addition to Thomas, Boston had other players step up such as Seguin, McQuaid, Krecji, and Lucic. There is no doubt any SC run we make is going to go through Boston now. They really have put things together and well managed.

Moving on to another issue, I'm fine with losing Arnott and Sturm. They are not the players they used to be and I much rather play the youth at center. I do dislike we didn't resign Hannan, but that is life. Kind of nice to look at the upcoming season with players signed and nothing to truly worry about going into training camp. The last 3 years for me was about going into the new season with the defense corps we had. Thank goodness the Alzner/Carlson era is here.

As for BB, I think he is a nice guy and likes the social scene, but my knock on him is he is still employed after 4 early playoff exits. I don't hate him like some posters do. I think it was BTCG that said right on. If you fire BB, you aren't going to get Scotty Bowman or HoF coach, you will get Bruce Cassidy 2.0. Sorry if I don't remember which poster said that, but I think they were right on the money if BB was fired.

Old
07-17-2011, 03:56 PM
txpd

the longer hannan remains out of a job the more it looks like keeping him might have been a mistake.

Old
07-17-2011, 04:14 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
i am not trying to argue with you. i just know there is a segment here that believe that as long as boudreau and semin remain anything everything else is just shuffle the deck chairs on the titanic.

i could care less about semin but u got it right with boudreau, after the montreal series i look at him as the captain of the titanic.

now i want to ask u a question, lets predict there is again a team like the bolts waiting for us in the playoffs - do u believe a vokoun as great as he is + the signed role players will turn this 0-4 team into a winner ?

thats the only positive feeling u can have this offseason, it sounds really desperate, doesn't it ?
two things are sure,

1. teams like tampa are not rare in the playoffs.
2. boudreau will have to learn from his loses, he needs actually to improve big time as coach if he wants to beat those teams.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:23 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
i could care less about semin but u got it right with boudreau, after the montreal series i look at him as the captain of the titanic.

now i want to ask u a question, lets predict there is again a team like the bolts waiting for us in the playoffs - do u believe a vokoun as great as he is + the signed role players will turn this 0-4 team into a winner ?

thats the only positive feeling u can have this offseason, it sounds really desperate, doesn't it ?
two things are sure,

2. boudreau will have to learn from his loses, he needs actually to improve big time as coach if he wants to beat those teams.
Lol, doesn't really sound desperate. We all knew the team has had a solid top 6, but the bottom 6 has been suspect for years, full of guys who start hanging their tail between their legs when things go wrong. Adding some guys with reputations of doing the opposite, and getting more poise in the bottom 6 was a great move. Getting balance on defense was, again, a great move (Hamrlik-Green will be the first pairing I've seen Green with that doesn't require him to hold the puck in the face of the forecheck because the other guy can't make an outlet pass). Vokoun, as with most signed goalies, doesn't really need to adapt, just needs to keep being him, and he looks solid.

I'm more optimistic about this team than I have been in the Ovechkin era, and I'll be shocked if Boudreau gets through this whole summer and doesn't manage to fix at least ONE thing, if not two or three (I can easily see him making beneficial changes to the PP and breakout strategy, maybe if we're lucky some more offensive zone cohesion). If not, he'll be out by Thanksgiving, just like Hanlon.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:29 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

two things are sure,

If the #1 center on a decade-long contract wasn't an invisible passenger, it would have been an entirely different series with the same exact personnel and coaching.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:30 PM
txpd

Quote:
thats the only positive feeling u can have this offseason, it sounds really desperate, doesn't it ? .
of course i dont think its desperate. unless you blame backstrom's disappearance on boudreau, that guy playing per his playoff average makes a huge difference. so...i am not desperate.

i want to see what the caps look like in the playoffs with the original backstrom, a full playoffs experience for carlson and alzner and all of green, wideman and carlson.

thats before vokoun. see, i think bryzgolov is a playoff choker of epic proportions and think the flyers are going to suffer for that. i also want to see vokoun play a playoff game before i think he is the key to winning anything. for me its much more about backstrom than vokoun.

Old
07-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:

two things are sure,

Absolutely. I am not in the camp that thinks the Caps got dominated by TB. The first 3 games in particular needed a big save or grinding goal, and we didnt get them....TB did. In hockey terms, those 3 games had all luck/bounces going against us, and that was that. Game 4 we got heavily outplayed, but by then, the writing was on the wall.

Old
07-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
of course i dont think its desperate. unless you blame backstrom's disappearance on boudreau, that guy playing per his playoff average makes a huge difference. so...i am not desperate.

i want to see what the caps look like in the playoffs with the original backstrom, a full playoffs experience for carlson and alzner and all of green, wideman and carlson.

thats before vokoun. see, i think bryzgolov is a playoff choker of epic proportions and think the flyers are going to suffer for that. i also want to see vokoun play a playoff game before i think he is the key to winning anything. for me its much more about backstrom than vokoun.
And also before Brouwer - Halpern - Ward (I know they wont play together, but you get my drfit). These 3 players are not similar to Sturm - Gordon - Bradley (who they replace, virtually). Much harder to play against, much more offensive, much bigger and stronger.

Old
07-17-2011, 08:05 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Absolutely. I am not in the camp that thinks the Caps got dominated by TB. The first 3 games in particular needed a big save or grinding goal, and we didnt get them....TB did. In hockey terms, those 3 games had all luck/bounces going against us, and that was that. Game 4 we got heavily outplayed, but by then, the writing was on the wall.
a good bounce might well have helped getting at least one of the first 3 games and its not a stretch to say that being down 2-1 is different than 3-0. that said you can help yourself to get those good bounces in ways that the caps didnt do well.

thus brouwer and ward and halpern. from what i understand carlson would not have played in a game 5 and i am not sure how far the caps get minus wideman, green and carlson anyway.

press reset and the caps will be stronger with the changes. again thats without considering vokoun.

Old
07-17-2011, 08:37 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If the #1 center on a decade-long contract wasn't an invisible passenger, it would have been an entirely different series with the same exact personnel and coaching.
Made me think of the Chicago game in 2010 where he dominated the game. I believe Ovie was suspended or ejected early on. I can't remember, but I do remember Backstrom taking over that game. I hope to see that version back.

Old
07-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Well, some blogger published resent Holtby's interview. Braden stated exactly that Backstrom had some more injuries "of which guys didn't know". Oh, that's my pure english right here.

I hope you got it. I believe it was (Holtby view) in Caps clips by Japers yesterday or saturday maybe.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:08 AM
SameOld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Well, some blogger published resent Holtby's interview. Braden stated exactly that Backstrom had some more injuries "of which guys didn't know". Oh, that's my pure english right here.

I hope you got it. I believe it was (Holtby view) in Caps clips by Japers yesterday or saturday maybe.
http://hockeyramblings.wordpress.com...-a-tough-week/

Quote:
"I know Nicklas (Bäckström) had a few injuries that guys didn’t really know about and I think everybody has that during the year but that definitely made him not perform as well as he usually does..."
The audio is here: http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...310788800&sn=6

Last edited by SameOld: 07-18-2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: added audio link
SameOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Atlas

That's great news, if true. The PP is instantly fixed if Backstrom plays as he did in 2009-2010.

But why on Earth wouldn't he be rested if he was injured? He sucked for months. I can understand him wanting to go in the playoffs but in the regular season? And why wouldn't the management tell the press? It's stupid in all sorts of ways. It makes Backstrom look bad. It just doesn't add up.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:14 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Why Bruce doesn't rest ineffective players is beyond me. Maybe Ted thinks no one will come out to the games. I for one like to go to games when I see a kid recalled, to check out new players.

Perhaps George needs to start targeting durable players or players than can still perform when injured. Guys like Hannan. Nick got 5 games off all year. I would like to see MP recalled and Nick sat next time around if its that bad. I think we all saw it. I called it fat cat disease all year. I think some alleged he was out of shape. Which I contended by mid season, he would be in shape.

Total Recall.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Duke33

I dunno. I notice now hardly anyone ever comes out and says "he just had a bad year" or "he sucked". Everything is explained now with mysterious injuries. Which leads me to the point that if you're hurt, then sit down. I'm sure a Backstrom playing hurt is better than most options, but he was "injured" almost all season. I like him as much as the next guy but to me he looked like a guy who got the fat cat contract then slacked it all year. I didn't see any signs of injury, and he wasn't hustling like usual.

Whatever the issues are/were, I agree with others that a normal Backstrom will go a long way to improving the Caps offense, PP, etc.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:20 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's hope this is true..."I know Nicklas (Bäckström) had a few injuries that guys didn’t really know about and I think everybody has that during the year but that definitely made him not perform as well as he usually does, but you have to give guys like that a break, to perform at that level it’s really hard to do that every year so I wouldn’t be surprised if they come back and tear it up this next upcoming season.”

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

After a few shifts on opening night, 100% of nhlers are playing with minor injuries.

This is some pathetic excuse making.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:38 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Why Bruce doesn't rest ineffective players is beyond me. Maybe Ted thinks no one will come out to the games. I for one like to go to games when I see a kid recalled, to check out new players.

Perhaps George needs to start targeting durable players or players than can still perform when injured. Guys like Hannan. Nick got 5 games off all year. I would like to see MP recalled and Nick sat next time around if its that bad. I think we all saw it. I called it fat cat disease all year. I think some alleged he was out of shape. Which I contended by mid season, he would be in shape.

Total Recall.
how much should nick have been rested? what about his injuries would have been fixed with the rest? had to know til we know what they are. hard to second guess til we know what information was available to base their decision on.

maybe george should target more durable players than nick. are there more durable players than nick? or ovechkin even? you are not suggesting that perreault healthy was better than the diminished backstrom...are you?