HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olesz

Old
07-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
You are right, the other poster is wrong. The Hawks aren't "screwed" if we don't buy him out. But you have to admit that financially speaking, it is far more advantageous for us to buy him out regardless of what type of player he might become.

If we don't buy him out, and he ends up sucking, we have to eat $3M a year for the next 3 years. If he stays on our NHL roster, that sucks, but we still have a lot of cap room. So we aren't "screwed." If he ends up in the minors, then the Hawks don't have a cap hit, but Rocky is signing more checks that he doesn't want to look up. But the Hawks still aren't "screwed."

But from a financial standpoint, it seems to make real good sense to buy him out, IF we can.

And that's a big IF. As other's have said, ACL/MCL isn't a quick thing to heal. The Hawks may never have a chance to buy him out anyway, making this whole discussion moot. However if he heals in time and is cleared medically, this is a very relevant discussion.
I completely agree with that, we aren't screwed in anyway if we don't, but it makes a ton of sense to do it.

That's all I was saying, if they don't buy him out it's not the end of the world. Rocky can eat 3mil next year since Huet is off the books so it's the least of my worries.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
We get a positive credit in 12-13 and 13-14, so buying him out actually helps us resign everyone.
after 13-14 Bolland, Morin, Crawford and Hjalmarsson need new contracts (and Olsen who shouldn't get much more by that time) as of now.

Having 0.6 in dead Cap Space would really suck. You never know what will happen.

Bury him if he sucks or trade him. Wirtz is willing to do this as long as we keep winning

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Teemu

Just stumbled across this thread. Pretty funny.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=529966

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:24 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Looks like we've got ourselves the new Ovechkin. What a steal of a trade.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post

LOL! Those posts are great, especially given the context now.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

He's only 25... we have no reason to think that he won't improve with time. I mean, what did Ovechkin do by the time he was 25? Multiple 100+ point season, you say? 65 goals one year? Calder, Richard, Art Ross and Hart trophies huh?

Hmm...

Well... if Olesz was on Washington with that stacked line-up he could probably do it too. Wait, Washington was a bad team when Ovy was drafted? And Ovechkin still put up those numbers?

...you see where I'm going with this. Completely foolish for that thought to be spoken aloud.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

lol.

Old
07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:

Quote:
Anyone that says this is a bad deal didn't watch a single Panthers game last year. This guy can play 5-5, the PK, and the PP. He is a multi-talented player with lots of potential. The hiring of DeBoer makes all of the difference with this kid. People will be looking back on this signing midway through next season and be like, "Wow. Great signing by the Cats." Just wait, just wait.
Quote:
Yeah, given Rusty's current production it's a bet on the come but like other Panther fans here, I agree it's a safe, maybe smart bet to make.

You'll be hard pressed to find any Panther fan that doesn't love what this kid brings.
Quote:
It's a 6 year deal for a 22 year old with a lot of potential. I'm never comfortable with paying for potential, but Olesz is fun to watch and plays to the crowd at times after a goal.

He's been held back a bit by Martin's defensive system and now has Deboer coming in who says he'll "take the reigns" off the guys. I'm interested to see how he'll do under this new system.
Quote:
Yeah and Malone signing with Tampa didn't already do that??? Olesz is 22 and has been marred by injuries, otherwise he would have cracked 20 goals like someone else posted. Being a season ticket holder, I've watched him grow and last year (when he wasn't hurt) he was really a solid 2-way forward, which he was before, but his offensive game started to come together. In another year or two it could be a steal of a deal. It's a high risk, high reward deal for the Panthers. But we've all seen enough of him to see the 20-30 goal potential to justify the terms of the deal. I mean, look at guys like Hartnell & Malone getting major deals without major point totals. That's just what the market dictates so getting a young top 2 line winger signed for 6 years at an AVERAGE of 3.1 mil per isn't so huge of a risk after all.

Then again we don't know how Olesz will react to losing his buddy Stumpel!!!
Quote:
He scored 14.

Point was that he's become a fan favorite, is a very versatile forward, and has loads of potential.
Quote:
Agreed. I'm not sure why some people are having such a hard time with this. Sure it's an overpayment, but Olesz is a guy you want to hold onto.
Quote:
This was another great signing by JM! Now lets sign Jaybo!!!
Quote:
I'd also argue that Olesz is our 2nd best defensive forward behind Weiss. Olesz is also very, very good on the PK. And he is still only 22yo! Oh yeah, and he's got arguably one of the best lower body strengths in the league too.
Quote:
DeBoer's coaching style perfectly compliments Olesz's style... This will look like a really good signing come the new year...
,, Panther fans loved Olesz a few years ago

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

Paying for potential usually doesn't end up well for one party or the other.

Wasted Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 1700
Well, he seems to be a versatile forward and defensively aware if nothing else. Overpaid, but useful nonetheless.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:30 PM
ndgt10

So he can PK?

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:50 PM
brtriad

He's obviously got talent but knee injuries can completely decimate a players career. Look no further than recent example Jonathan Cheechoo.

It's worth it to give him a shot in camp and see how he fares versus the field. This is going to be the most interesting training camp in a long time for the Hawks given all of our current roster players and talented young guns vying for roster spots.

Old
07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
That's not why I said

How is the Hawks Org. screwed if they don't buy him out??
Just IMO, but Olesz is overpaid by $2m. He's fragile, non-physical, does play when hurt, and isn't a solid offensive contributor for the icetime he gets. Only area he's even average is defensively. Having a guy overpaid by $2M is "screwed". Maybe not totally, but that really hurts a team IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
So he can PK?
As I have said in many rants agianst Stalberg ,, Yep Olesz can

Not PK1 type but he can contribute to 2nd unit PK

Also Olesz is not soft ,, He can throw some hits (had 68 hits in 44 games last year). For comparason Stalberg had 102 hits in 77 games

Olesz is capable bottom 6 winger. He can play PK/Physical (Not big crushing hits) and is defensively responsible

Old
07-13-2011, 09:37 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
As I have said in many rants agianst Stalberg ,, Yep Olesz can

Not PK1 type but he can contribute to 2nd unit PK

Also Olesz is not soft ,, He can throw some hits (had 68 hits in 44 games last year). For comparason Stalberg had 102 hits in 77 games

Olesz is capable bottom 6 winger. He can play PK/Physical (Not big crushing hits) and is defensively responsible
stalberg had 16hits in 7 playoff games

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
He's obviously got talent but knee injuries can completely decimate a players career. Look no further than recent example Jonathan Cheechoo.
Not that it has anything to do with Olesz - but what did Cheechoo in wasn't his knees, but was a double sports hernia.

He was never a good skater, but after the surgery he was barely an AHL quality skater - he tried hard, but he was too damn slow.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I repeat myself... give him a chance

Old
07-14-2011, 03:04 AM
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Just IMO, but Olesz is overpaid by $2m. He's fragile, non-physical, does play when hurt, and isn't a solid offensive contributor for the icetime he gets. Only area he's even average is defensively. Having a guy overpaid by $2M is "screwed". Maybe not totally, but that really hurts a team IMO.
Non-physical? Are you kidding me? Did you see him?

Registry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Hawkaholic

When he's playing, he is overpaid by 1-1.5mil.

When he is playing, he is effective, and has potential to be a top 9 role guy.

And a guy making 3mil will never screw over a team. A guy making 7mil will.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
He's a poor mans Frolik who gets hurt all of the time. He'd be an improvement over Stalberg for the 4th line, but what a waste of cap space that would be. Not to mention, if ends up on in the bottom 6, he'll be expected to play physical and that will increase the probability he gets hurt. He'll probably never get any better because of his injuries.

He's not like Frolik at all.

I don't mean this in a good or bad way; I'm just saying that that's a horrible comparison. Their games aren't similar at all.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
He's not like Frolik at all.

I don't mean this in a good or bad way; I'm just saying that that's a horrible comparison. Their games aren't similar at all.
You are correct they are not comparable at all

Olesz is more comparable to someone like Sergei Brylin IMO. (Although Olesz is more physical then Brylin and his offensive game has not reached Brylin level)

Old
07-18-2011, 04:00 PM
LandofLincoln

Karl Alzner signed with Washington 1.25m this is not front page news... The Capitals are now over the cap 800,000k and Semin is more over-paid than Campbell, but on the last year of his deal at 6million. You would think they could unload Semin... They might have to part ways...

It better not be here. I don't want Semin, but for Olesz well...Hmm

LandofLincoln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:07 PM
brtriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Karl Alzner signed with Washington 1.25m this is not front page news... The Capitals are now over the cap 800,000k and Semin is more over-paid than Campbell, but on the last year of his deal at 6million. You would think they could unload Semin... They might have to part ways...

It better not be here. I don't want Semin, but for Olesz well...Hmm
Brilliant. Unload their best secondary scorer, who is a RFA next year, when they have Vokoun signed on the cheap for a one year run at the cup.

Old
07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Brilliant. Unload their best secondary scorer, who is a RFA next year, when they have Vokoun signed on the cheap for a one year run at the cup.
I like how your brain is working...It is Washington's one year run at the cup.

A lethal offense with an average or below average defense.....and excellent goalie.

LandofLincoln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:34 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
stalberg had 16hits in 7 playoff games
Hitting is such a ****ed metric that it's not even worth debating.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote