HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

What to expect from Cody Franson

Old
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
KlattNazty

vCash: 500
What to expect from Cody Franson

Hi guys, leafs fan obviously,

Just wondering what we might be able to expect from Franson, both this year, and in coming years.

His major areas he struggles with, and who he should be paired with in your opinions, anything you might be able to contribute would be great guys.

Also, whats he like on the PP? What does he do best there? Like Kaberle was almost strictly a pass first defenceman for example.

Thanks guys!

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

He isn't a PP QB, he does have a quick release on his shot, he's not the fleetest of foot defenseman, so you might want to pair him with a fast forward (defensively responsible) - he's a bottom pairing dman at this point in his career & I don't know if he can overcome his limitations (foot speed) to improve & make it into any team's top 4

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
He isn't a PP QB, he does have a quick release on his shot, he's not the fleetest of foot defenseman, so you might want to pair him with a fast forward (defensively responsible) - he's a bottom pairing dman at this point in his career & I don't know if he can overcome his limitations (foot speed) to improve & make it into any team's top 4
So a fast forward with a defensive mind, and from the sounds of it someone who can pass? Fair enough thanks alot.

How bad is his foot speed?

Old
07-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
So a fast forward with a defensive mind, and from the sounds of it someone who can pass? Fair enough thanks alot.

How bad is his foot speed?
bottom pairing foot speed

Old
07-19-2011, 11:13 AM
sighthndlady

I think they're undervaluing him. I'd put him a solid #5 today with good potential to be #4. Very quick and accurate wrist shot. His 5 on 5 goals per minute ice time was as high as Weber's last year. Pretty good positionally, but not at the same level as some of our other guys. Definitely needs to be paired with a more stay-at-home guy.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:13 AM
glenngineer

I would also tend to say his instincts defensively aren't the greatest. He seems a bit stiff in reading the game if that makes any sense. Has a great wrister that gets through to the net. Doesn't use his size very well. Has potential but Blum came up from Milwaukee and started playing second pairing minutes immediately and looked natural doing it.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
I think they're undervaluing him. I'd put him a solid #5 today with good potential to be #4. Very quick and accurate wrist shot. His 5 on 5 goals per minute ice time was as high as Weber's last year. Pretty good positionally, but not at the same level as some of our other guys. Definitely needs to be paired with a more stay-at-home guy.
You do realize that he was the most protected player on the Preds last season, right ? ... He also started the play in the offensive zone 50.3 % of the time (Shea 45.3%, was next)

Old
07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
You do realize that he was the most protected player on the Preds last season, right ? ... He also started the play in the offensive zone 50.3 % of the time (Shea 45.3%, was next)
oh, absolutely. Up against generally not the other team's top talent, he was very effective.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:47 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Absolutely correct, Dave. He needs a very responsible Defensive (capital D) partner and a optimally a D minded forward to cover for him.

Cody's wrist shot seems to have eyes and his release is quick and deceptive to defenders. But the book is to pressure him hard and he will give up the occasional panic pass to the wrong zone. Used properly he can be a very effective player. Not sure how much higher his ceiling is based on what his Nashville development curve has been.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:52 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Cody Franson in a nutshell:

Strengths - very good wrist/snapshot. He seems to be able to get pucks through even the heaviest traffic and on net. He is accurate with his shot, too. You shouldn't see too many of his shots go wide or high unless he's trying to get a rebound off of the boards/glass to a forward up front, which he doesn't do often. He has reach with his long frame and stick. Doesn't take a lot of penalties.

Weaknesses - He doesn't use his size, or at least didn't begin to until the end of the season/play offs. That could be a good sign, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. He played very protected minutes, and for an offensive minded defenseman on a team without much offense that's saying something. Trotz felt like any offensive upside he had would be voided by giving him too many minutes and thus allowing him to make defensive errors. He played a lot of PP time, but our PP was awful once again. I wouldn't blame him for it, but he isn't a player who will turn a bad powerplay into a mediocre/good powerplay. His breakout pass isn't the greatest, but it isn't necessarily bad. Just meh. He has no acceleration at all. The guy skates like he is wearing an open parachute sometimes. He understands he has pretty good reach, and he'll get caught fishing for the puck too much. His positioning would likely be much better if he would just stop worrying about the poke check. He doesn't have the mobility to get back into position if the poke doesn't work. Of course, he doesn't really have the mobility to be a fantastic positioning defenseman either, at least not yet.

I think if Wilson can get Cody to start using his size more he could be a #4 defenseman on a decent defensive team. In Nashville he wouldn't likely get past the third pairing, but I think in Toronto he could refine the skills he does have, improve a few things, and get to the second pairing. As was mentioned earlier, he did have slightly better ESG% than Weber, but it was also mentioned that his protected minutes allowed for that. Weber played more minutes against vastly superior talent. Cody played very low ES minutes against bottom six (often fourth line)/bottom pairing-level talent.

Play Franson with a physical, preferably mobile defenseman who has some sort of ability to move the puck forward and he'll be fine. Like was said (by Dave I believe), mix in a speedy, good two-way forward or two and he should be fine. Even better if you can protect his minutes like Trotz did. It's hard to predict how he will do in the more offensive-minded, superstar saturated Eastern Conference versus he played in a more physical, grittier, balanced Western Conference.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

I think he'll most likely be a career bottom-pairing Dman, but he could be effective. There's nothing wrong with a guy that'll give you 10-12 minutes and produce some offense. I just wouldn't count on him to do big jobs. Protecting his minutes Trotz-style might just be the way go as long as your top 4 is good enough to carry the load.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:59 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

I would agree with the majority of the critiques of Franson's play from the above posters.

I think he has the potential to be a 2nd line D (definitely not 1st), but it shouldn't be forced upon him. He's still pretty young, so he could definitely improve in a lot of areas...but coming from a very stacked and defensive-minded squad, I would say there would be some concern to just how much he could learn/improve considering the situation he was in.

The basic negatives are yes, he is slower than most upper level D men, and no, he is not very defensively responsible (although he has shown some flashes where he can make good defensive plays).

I think if Toronto doesn't ride him too hard and expect him to be something he isn't -- an All Star defenseman -- then he will be fine. As mentioned, he has a very good shot, and is an asset on the power play. With the right crew around him, he has the potential to be a 10-12 goal scorer and 35-40 point guy...but I wouldn't put his ceiling higher because he won't be getting prime minutes.

I think he can be a good role player in Toronto....but don't expect him to be a star. My general impression is that he's a good guy off the ice, too. He's definitely a likable character. He could easily be a fan favorite among those who don't love the big name guys.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I generally agree with everything said here, but I think people are overlooking how good of a passer he was. Sometimes under pressure in the d-zone he'll make a bad pass, but for offensive situations, his passing was excellent (best of the bottom 4).

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 08:36 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Cody Franson in a nutshell:

Strengths - very good wrist/snapshot. He seems to be able to get pucks through even the heaviest traffic and on net. He is accurate with his shot, too. You shouldn't see too many of his shots go wide or high unless he's trying to get a rebound off of the boards/glass to a forward up front, which he doesn't do often. He has reach with his long frame and stick. Doesn't take a lot of penalties.

Weaknesses - He doesn't use his size, or at least didn't begin to until the end of the season/play offs. That could be a good sign, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. He played very protected minutes, and for an offensive minded defenseman on a team without much offense that's saying something. Trotz felt like any offensive upside he had would be voided by giving him too many minutes and thus allowing him to make defensive errors. He played a lot of PP time, but our PP was awful once again. I wouldn't blame him for it, but he isn't a player who will turn a bad powerplay into a mediocre/good powerplay. His breakout pass isn't the greatest, but it isn't necessarily bad. Just meh. He has no acceleration at all. The guy skates like he is wearing an open parachute sometimes. He understands he has pretty good reach, and he'll get caught fishing for the puck too much. His positioning would likely be much better if he would just stop worrying about the poke check. He doesn't have the mobility to get back into position if the poke doesn't work. Of course, he doesn't really have the mobility to be a fantastic positioning defenseman either, at least not yet.

I think if Wilson can get Cody to start using his size more he could be a #4 defenseman on a decent defensive team. In Nashville he wouldn't likely get past the third pairing, but I think in Toronto he could refine the skills he does have, improve a few things, and get to the second pairing. As was mentioned earlier, he did have slightly better ESG% than Weber, but it was also mentioned that his protected minutes allowed for that. Weber played more minutes against vastly superior talent. Cody played very low ES minutes against bottom six (often fourth line)/bottom pairing-level talent.

Play Franson with a physical, preferably mobile defenseman who has some sort of ability to move the puck forward and he'll be fine. Like was said (by Dave I believe), mix in a speedy, good two-way forward or two and he should be fine. Even better if you can protect his minutes like Trotz did. It's hard to predict how he will do in the more offensive-minded, superstar saturated Eastern Conference versus he played in a more physical, grittier, balanced Western Conference.
Thank you for the info guys, very useful! I doubt he starts in our mid pairing with Schenn, who would be the defensive minded player you mention, however, I'd still be a bit worried, as the mobility, is not the best asset Luke has, its not poor but its maybe only slightly above average for a guy of his size, so with Cody id be worried about a pylon pairing.

However, could you guys see him pairing up with Gunnarsson well? He takes care of his own end first and foremost, and is rarely caught out of position. Good skater, good first pass, pretty good everywhere, nothing amazing however. If Komisarek doesnt make the team, or is traded, I expect our bottom pair to be gunnar and cody.

Old
07-22-2011, 09:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
Thank you for the info guys, very useful! I doubt he starts in our mid pairing with Schenn, who would be the defensive minded player you mention, however, I'd still be a bit worried, as the mobility, is not the best asset Luke has, its not poor but its maybe only slightly above average for a guy of his size, so with Cody id be worried about a pylon pairing.

However, could you guys see him pairing up with Gunnarsson well? He takes care of his own end first and foremost, and is rarely caught out of position. Good skater, good first pass, pretty good everywhere, nothing amazing however. If Komisarek doesnt make the team, or is traded, I expect our bottom pair to be gunnar and cody.
That sounds like a good plan. Franson's mobility\skating aren't just bad, they're atrocious -- like Hal Gill bad. His offensive skill offsets that, and when he's already in position or close enough to make the right play, he knows WHAT to do int he defensive end...it's just getting there that is a problem for him. But...paired with a mobile defenseman, he should be fine.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
token grinder

his skating is terrible, yes, but give the guy some credit defensively. his reach and stick-checking compensate for some of the lack of footspeed.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 10:41 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
his skating is terrible, yes, but give the guy some credit defensively. his reach and stick-checking compensate for some of the lack of footspeed.
No doubt. I've seen Franson make some heady defensive plays before...but the key is for him to be in position (well, as with most defensemen). When he's out of position is when things go horribly wrong (again because of the foot speed -- because it really hampers his recovery).

Old
07-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Firestorm

Don't forget his Bobby Orr move:

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:56 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

I'm going to ask preds fans this. Do you think he would be a good partner for Schenn?

our top 4 would then be Phaneuf-Aulie

Schenn-Franson.

If we paried him with Schenn do you think that could work?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 01:17 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I'm going to ask preds fans this. Do you think he would be a good partner for Schenn?

our top 4 would then be Phaneuf-Aulie

Schenn-Franson.

If we paried him with Schenn do you think that could work?
I'll be perfectly honest...I don't know a whole lot about Schenn...

Can he skate decently well? Is he somewhat defensively responsible?

It's not that Franson has no D...but it would definitely work best if he's paired with more of a conservative stay-at-home guy.

All in all, though, if those two are on the bottom pair, it shouldn't matter too much. What Franson does lack in defense he definitely makes up for in offense (and in limited minutes). The only way it will be a disaster IMO is if he is usually playing with a partner and forward lines that completely lack defensive sense. Basically, if Franson is the most skilled and sound defensive player on the ice, you might consider rethinking things.

Old
07-24-2011, 01:25 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

schenn is a very good physical shutdown dman

but i don't see him getting paired with franson because they're both RH

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 02:11 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

hes good, but trust me you dont want him to be on your top line. His offense is amazing, but his all around game isnt the greatest so he definitely needs to be shown no more than 15 minutes a game.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Jarnberg

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=881446

Jarnberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:16 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Schenn is a VERY physical, defensively responsible blueliner. I think at this point in his development Franson would hinder Schenn more than Schenn would help Franson.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Jarnberg

Disagree that is a good matchup for Franson.

Jarnberg is online now   Reply With Quote