HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Brewer for Goalie[Blackburn or montayo]

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2004, 12:57 PM
thrill89

vCash: 500
Eric Brewer for Goalie[Blackburn or montayo]

I think he would upgrade our whole defense. The key for any team is to have two sets of defensemen 4 players to be your key. I think Brewer can definitely play as a top 4.Edmonton would get their goalie who is so much really and better then the draft pick they chose out of western canada. I also would trade Lundmark and rauchnek for brewer and ibster in a second also if they wanted forwards instead of a goalie.

Old
08-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Synergy27

The Oilers are very high on Dubnyk, remember that Schwarz was still on the board when they chose him. I cant see the Oilers unloading their best young defenseman for an unproven goaltending prospect when they have one that might turn out to be better than any of our three already in the system. I think a trade like this might make a little more sense with that other Alberta team though, maybe a deal centered around Gauthier?

Old
08-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Lowetide

If the Oilers deal Brewer, they'd be looking for someone who could take some of his minutes on the backline and a centerman if they don't sign Nedved. Not saying he's worth both things, just that imo Lowe's shopping list would have those two items at the top.

Rachunek I like alot, but he isn't the type of player Lowe has acquired since becoming GM (Lowe likess defensive dmen who are large. He will accept alot of faults if the player has experience and plays within his limits. Guys like Ulanov play well for Edmonton when maybe they're a little less effective elsewhere).

Honestly I don't see a match. That doesn't mean the Rangers don't have some nice things (the Rangers ALWAYS have great prospects, always have) but just that I don't see the NYR dealing the guys Edmonton would be asking after in a deal for Brewer.

Old
08-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Levitate

i've never actually been a fan of brewer...he's always left me wanting more...he's supposed to be really good offensively but goes for long stretches without scoring and has never broken 30 points. he's also been a negative player for all but one year in his career...-32 overall. granted the oilers haven't been awesome the past couple of years anyways but jason smith has been a pretty good + player for them over the same amount of time.

he seems like he should be a good 2-way player but never quite lives up to expectations (at least mine)

that being said, it would take a lot to get the oilers to part with him...

Old
08-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't judge Brewer by his (relative) lack of offense. He was never a big scorer, even in his junior years. I think his contributions lie elsewhere, and I would consider him to be one of the best young dmen in the league.

Old
08-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I doubt Brewer is going anywhere. And if he were, he would cost more than we would want to give up. OTOH, I wouldn't mind seeing us take a run at Jason Smith if the cost is reasonable and we can find a way to shed another vet d-man. He's been rumored to be on the block for a long time and brings the tough game and leadership we lack.

Old
08-01-2004, 04:33 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
If the Oilers did that they would have 3 potentially number one goals in Dubnyk, Deslauriers, and either Montayo or Blackburn. Having a lot of goalies is good, but how many potentially number ones do you need.

Old
08-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Kubera55

I like the idea of adding a young defensemen, but Brewer would not be at the top of my list.

He's a very good young player, but as Lev says, he's never exactly been 'dominant'. Indeed, compare his numbers to the oft maligned Tom Poti (who's played more minutes on equal or worse teams over the span) and he's way behind. Sure, Brewer is more physical, but his +/- is far worse, his scoring isn't even close, and it's not like he's a true Brashere badass. He just hits some.

The Rangers, if looking for a defenseman, should really be looking for a defense first youngster with size. I'd look for someone like Komisarek, Barret Jackman, or Robyn Reghar (all of whom I recognize would cost major assets) before I'd look for Brewer.

Throw in the fact that the Oilers wouldn't be looking for a goalie after just drafting Dubynk, and I'd say no match.

Of course, we all know Sather's Edmonton bias, so I suppose we can all expect to see Blackburn and Jessiman bundled off for Jason Smith and Eric Brewer sometime in the not so distant future. Hopefully Sather doesn't throw in another 1st .... *gag*

Old
08-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Levitate

yeah i thought about comparing poti to brewer but figured it'd touch off a firestorm...however now that you mention it, i'll just throw the stats out there real quick

both have been playing in the NHL for the same # of years...since the '98-'99 season.

first brewers stats...404 career games, 113 career points...average of about .28 points per game, and a career -32...he's only had one + year and it was a pretty good one at +15 or he'd have an even worse +/-

now poti...443 career games, 185 career points...average of about .42 points per game, and a career -3. poti has never had a really great +/- season...his best years were his first ones, but he's also never had a +/- season as bad as several of brewers.

soo draw your own conclusions...obviously it is hard to tell with pure stats what is going on and +/- is a fickle stat, but brewer doesn't exactly spring to my mind as "one of the best young defensemen in the NHL". i will add that he's been money in the playoffs pointwise at least...10 points in 12 career games.

Old
08-01-2004, 05:18 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Remember the last young offensive d-man we got from Edmonton?

Old
08-01-2004, 05:47 PM
CoolDude*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Ales Pisa

Old
08-01-2004, 06:07 PM
dumpsathernow*

Brewer is completely overrated. No thanks.

Old
08-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Ales Pisa
I liked this player and hope he comes over and signs with us. I would much much rather him as our 7th dman than Dale. The guy seemed to have a good first pass our of the zone and seen the ice pretty well. I know guys on this board don't like him cause he's over 22, but I think he can help this club. If I remember right he left because Sather refused to give him a one way contract.

Old
08-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Brewer is overrated and soft. He shouldn't even be on Team Canada's roster.

I'd take a rugged D like Gauthier over him anyday.

Old
08-01-2004, 08:42 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR

that would be the poke meister ..Tom Poti ....

Old
08-02-2004, 05:25 PM
CoolDude*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
that would be the poke meister ..Tom Poti ....

no... As I said it was Ales pisa

Old
08-02-2004, 09:37 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Well, then you just prove the case in point even more. I'd take Poti over Pisa, who will never make the NHL.

Closed Thread