HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cogs to Ducks for 2nd round pick in 2013

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 11:42 AM
ToeDrag83
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
You know this morning I was envisioning how good a PK pairing Belanger + Cogs would be. Guess that's out the window...

Best of luck to the guy, heart and soul was never in doubt.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Bryanbryoil

Keep in mind that he filed for arbitration and because of this his value may have dipped league wide. If he goes and gets awarded $1.8 million like I have read speculated around here the Oilers could very well have just walked away from the contract making him an UFA. Maybe not an ideal return, but all things considered not bad. This pick gives us more flexibility and could be used to bring in a player that pushes us into the postseason in '12-'13. RNH and Lander are on the way, there could still be 1 more center moving out in the next year or so.

Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Why put the top two faceoff men on the same unit?

Belanger + Jones

Horcoff +... Eberle/Smyth/ugh we're thin.
Shortened penalty killing situations, late-game penalty-killing situations, against teams with -strong first power play units but weak second power-play units...

Not uncommon for teams to use their top 2 defensive centers on the PK in certain situations.

Jones isn't that good on the PK either. Hopefully one Paajarvi, Hall, or Eberle can develop in this capacity (at this point in time, my money would be on Magnus).

Old
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit. I was really hoping we'd keep Cogs and move out Brule.

Thanks for everything Cogs, I hope you become an Oiler again some day.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

vCash: 400
Nice to see him get a fresh start.
Think if they slot him in as a 3rd line winger, he'll do fine as a duck.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
nqmt

This trade shows that the club expects either Lander or RNH to make the club

Old
07-12-2011, 11:46 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
We had to do something with all the contracts we had, but it's amazing how our PK just continues to get worse with every roster move. Belanger was one step forward among about a dozen steps back.

07-12-2011, 11:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Keep in mind that he filed for arbitration and because of this his value may have dipped league wide. If he goes and gets awarded $1.8 million like I have read speculated around here the Oilers could very well have just walked away from the contract making him an UFA. Maybe not an ideal return, but all things considered not bad. This pick gives us more flexibility and could be used to bring in a player that pushes us into the postseason in '12-'13. RNH and Lander are on the way, there could still be 1 more center moving out in the next year or so.
That's true on arbitration. No one knows what to expect this year given what the UFA market did this year.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
We drafted this player in 2005 as a first-rounder and he has basically accomplished nothing of consequence for himself or the hockey club that drafted him and then we trade him away for a future player that (all odds considered) likely will never play in the NHL. And absolute best case scenario - this player will suit up for a mistake-filled rookie season in 2015 and perhaps turn into a serviceable NHLer.

Considering Cogliano's career thus far has actually been in the more successful range of picks 25-30 in the past 10 years or so, that tells me one thing: first-round picks are severely overrated.

I guess what I'm really getting around to is that I wish we got a roster player back for him, at least a 3rd/4th line tweener who is decently versatile or can annoy the other team. Or even a sunken cost swap like the Latendresse/Pouliot trade. Something like trading him straight up to Minnesota for a guy like Colton Gillies, that I would have much rather preferred. This 2nd doesn't really do much for us unless we trade it at the deadline next year for a playoff push.
Pitlick, Hamilton, Marincin, and Musil, those are our last 4 second round picks, would you trade any of them for Cogliano? There is no guarantee that we will keep this pick, it could be used to trade up, as part of a package trade, or to acquire a vet at the deadline probably 2 seasons from now to try to get us into the postseason. What were you expecting for Cogliano especially after he filed for arbitration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
Exactly what I was thinking BBO, a replacement for Marchant with the same kind of skill set. Sad to see him go, but the writing was on the wall and I would rather keep Gagner.
Gagner was the clear choice between the two, however I'm still not sold on his long term future here. He might have 1 more season to prove his worth, kid had better be working his tail off.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:49 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqmt View Post
This trade shows that the club expects either Lander or RNH to make the club
Not necessarily as far as RNH is concerned, do you see Horcoff or Belanger centering the 4th line? I don't.
I think that this actually gives a player like Vande Velde, Lander or maybe Petrell a better shot to center the 4th line because i see Gagner, Horcoff and Belanger being fixtures on the top 3 lines at least to start the year.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:49 AM
hodge7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigzz View Post
So basically
To edm
Sutton
Whitney
2nd in 2013
To ducks
Foster
Cogliano
Jf jacques
Deslauries
Visnovsky

Am i missing anybody?
Yeah, the 6th round pick from the Ducks in 2010 ended up as Brandon Davidson.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Dammit. I was really hoping we'd keep Cogs and move out Brule.

Thanks for everything Cogs, I hope you become an Oiler again some day.
I'm not sure that Brule stays much longer either TBH. Who does he play over?

Old
07-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
Shortened penalty killing situations, late-game penalty-killing situations, against teams with -strong first power play units but weak second power-play units...

Not uncommon for teams to use their top 2 defensive centers on the PK in certain situations.
You're talking about very select times, which I would agree having two FO men would be worthwhile.

Otherwise... lunacy having both out.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Hemsky4PM

We've had a lot of success in the 2nd round of recent drafts. A decent return.

4 years of injury free play from a player and a 2nd rounder in 2013. He also never made a ton of money.

As for the PK, it's been terrible with Cogliano.

Belanger and Smyth alone make up for Cogliano on th PK.

I suspect the 3 PK units will consist of:

Horcoff, Smyth, Magnus, Jones, Belanger and Eberle. Horcoff and Belanger take draws and one of the units consists of two wingers. Horcoff-Paajarvi, Belanger-Jones, Smyth-Eberle. Hall and Hemsky get out every once in a while.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Not necessarily as far as RNH is concerned, do you see Horcoff or Belanger centering the 4th line? I don't.
I think that this actually gives a player like Vande Velde, Lander or maybe Petrell a better shot to center the 4th line because i see Gagner, Horcoff and Belanger being fixtures on the top 3 lines at least to start the year.
IMO we'll still see more trades before the season starts. Not sure who will be on the move, but I'd be surprised if we stand pat with the roster as it is at the moment.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
IMO we'll still see more trades before the season starts. Not sure who will be on the move, but I'd be surprised if we stand pat with the roster as it is at the moment.
Brule is as good as gone and i still have a suspicion that there could be a bigger trade on the horizon to upgrade the defense. Gagner+Gilbert or Hemsky+Gilbert for a top pairing defenseman, something along those lines. I highly doubt that Gagner will be moved but you never know.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Mizral

I felt at first that the Oil maybe shouldn't have made this move but I've come to accept that Cogliano really isn't going to be playing his best hockey in Edmonton. He'll have a great year next year in Anaheim but whatever good things might happen to him I just couldn't see them happening as an Oiler.

Another 2nd pick aint bad. Somehow this deal feels like taking cough syrup - tastes awful going down but it's probably going to help later.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Arpeggio

I actually can see Belanger playing on the fourth line to start. He'd be playing with Ben Eager and Ryan Jones, which isn't that bad really.

I agree that this is a move made to allow RNH or Lander make the team. They might both be NHL ready.

In terms of PK, you've got Belanger and Horcoff as centers. I think they might be forced to try Hall there though, because there sure isn't much in terms of shutdown wingers.

Edit: If RNH makes the team, than Horcoff shouldn't be playing extra minutes on the PP anymore, so hopefully his PK numbers will improve. That's what they have to bank on at least.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
I'm not sure that Brule stays much longer either TBH. Who does he play over?
Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky
Hall-RNH-Eblere
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Omark
Eager-Belanger-Jones
Hordichuk-Brule

Brule gets a chance to get healthy and Hartikainen, Hamilton and Lander get time in OKC to develop and be ready for an injury call-up.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

I agree with the person who said that this opens up on a spot for a player like Vande Velde or Lander.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:59 AM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Belanger won't be on the fourth line

Old
07-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Hemsky Horcoff Smyth
Hall RNH Eberle
Omark Gagner PRV
Eager Belanger Jones
Hordy/Brule

Old
07-12-2011, 12:01 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I agree with the person who said that this opens up on a spot for a player like Vande Velde or Lander.
Or a waiver wire pickup.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:02 PM
joestevens29

Where was Treensoil on this?

Old
07-12-2011, 12:02 PM
McAequitas

They way I see it we now have rnh gagner horcoff and belanger at center. Gagner has a year maybe two to take that second line center roll or lose it.
this trade had to happen and with brule on the way out (imo) we have gotten down to a reasonable amount of small players

Closed Thread