HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL, CHL)

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
id rather call up players who have a chance to have an NHL career over someone who has no purpose in the NHL
Who gets called up has more to do with who best fits what the Rangers need. Newbury may fit that need best (and it doesn't hurt that he's doing well).

Old
10-15-2011, 06:55 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
how many Dmen are on the roster? who's hurt

Top of my head I count Bell, Kundratek, Parlett, Bickel, Redden, Valentenko and after that i'm not sure who made the team and who went to the ECHL

what has the top 6 been and spares?
You forgot Niemi and Nightengale. Redden and Valentenko have been out.

Old
10-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Whale wetting the bed again vs. Bridgeport tonight??? Jebus...

Old
10-15-2011, 09:36 PM
squishy

The Whale lost 5-4 in a shootout to Bridgeport. Hagelin appears to be finding his stride -- he had two goals and an assist, including a shorty on a breakway while being hacked and whacked from behind. He's now got 4 points in his last 2 games.

Newbury had a goal and two assists, and before Hagelin's unassisted shorty tied it up in the 3rd, had picked up a point on every goal the Whale had scored this season (4g 4a in 4gp). He's playing confident, has a hot stick, and is a much better fit on the Rangers fourth line. Definitely the right move for the Rangers, I just worry about the effect it'll have on the Whale.

Bourque missed the game after getting "dinged up" in Friday's game vs Albany. No idea what kind of ding, but obviously worried about a concussion, given his history.

Old
10-16-2011, 11:18 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
The Whale lost 5-4 in a shootout to Bridgeport. Hagelin appears to be finding his stride -- he had two goals and an assist, including a shorty on a breakway while being hacked and whacked from behind. He's now got 4 points in his last 2 games.

Newbury had a goal and two assists, and before Hagelin's unassisted shorty tied it up in the 3rd, had picked up a point on every goal the Whale had scored this season (4g 4a in 4gp). He's playing confident, has a hot stick, and is a much better fit on the Rangers fourth line. Definitely the right move for the Rangers, I just worry about the effect it'll have on the Whale.

Bourque missed the game after getting "dinged up" in Friday's game vs Albany. No idea what kind of ding, but obviously worried about a concussion, given his history.

Here´s the video:

Old
10-16-2011, 11:29 AM
squishy

Post game reports said Bourque missed the game due to sickness, so it looks my concussion concerns were unwarranted.

Old
10-16-2011, 11:32 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Post game reports said Bourque missed the game due to sickness, so it looks my concussion concerns were unwarranted.
Same bug Redden has, perhaps?

RANGERS =
Old
10-16-2011, 06:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Here´s the video:

Says video has been removed.

Old
10-16-2011, 06:53 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Last night was the first home Whale (or Wolf Pack) game that I had been to. I took in a game during the lockout season in Bridgeport, but last night I finally got around to hitting up Hartford. Let me say, what a trip that was. My girlfriend and I road-tripped from Buffalo down to Hartford to catch the game.

My recap/experience should be up on Howlings.net soon I hope, but I'll post some quick stuff here.

The fans in CT absoluetly LOVE Jordan Owens, the guy is a clear cut fan-favorite. When his name was announced in the opening introductions the place went ape ****...conversely when Carl was announced I felt like the only one cheering, needless to say that was all changed by the performance last night. Hagelin has jets on his wheels that you really can't appreciate until you see him play live. His work on the shorthanded breakaway goal to give the Whale the lead was ridiculous.

Johnson was weak.

Andre Deveaux seems to be replacing Dale very nicely down there, but like squishy I too wonder what the loss of Newbury is going to do to the Devaux-Hagelin combination.

Unfortunate that Zucc's is getting sent away again but let's be honest, Torts has no idea how to use him. And being more honest, if any guy deserves a call up in the entire AHL right now it's Newbury.

My story is up on Howlings here

Last edited by silverfish: 10-17-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old
10-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Yeah Jordan Owens was a huge fan favorite on his first Hartford go around. He's just a fun, high energy player. Trading him for Newbury was great, and it's even greater to have him back.

Old
10-16-2011, 09:11 PM
CH2

That Hagelin breakaway was unbelievable, he just kept his feet moving.

I love the Whale's play-by-play guy, haha.

Old
10-17-2011, 01:47 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Says video has been removed.

Works fine here wolf, hopeI can help again!

Old
10-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Yeah the first video the Whale posted had no sound, so they took it down!

Old
10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Same bug Redden has, perhaps?
Damn that bug. Causes broken legs that morph into stomach viruses.

Old
10-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Unfortunate that Zucc's is getting sent away again but let's be honest, Torts has no idea how to use him. And being more honest, if any guy deserves a call up in the entire AHL right now it's Newbury.

My story is up on Howlings here
I don't really know that it's "Tortorella doesn't know how to use him" so much as it's Zuccarello finds himself in an awkward spot of not really fitting well into a line. He has players blocking him...yeah he could replace Feds on the 3rd line but that line had a fantastic year last year and is really versatile, and I dont' see him playing ahead of Dubinsky at his expense...and to be honest I think Stepan will be the better overall player and like seeing him get the top line chance.

Zuccarello is just in an odd spot with the Rangers, that's it.

Old
10-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Vitto79

So with the Rangers having 3 set lines right now it seems as though Wolski will come back in on the 4th line which is dumb. I can't see him playing well with Newbury and Rupp

I figure Wolski will get a shot on the top line eventually as he was looking to be going to that spot. but then what?

Zuke seems to be a logical trade chip either for a Dman or upgrade on LW top line.

Is there a good shot of Hagelin getting brought up soon?

Old
10-19-2011, 08:15 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
So with the Rangers having 3 set lines right now it seems as though Wolski will come back in on the 4th line which is dumb. I can't see him playing well with Newbury and Rupp

I figure Wolski will get a shot on the top line eventually as he was looking to be going to that spot. but then what?

Zuke seems to be a logical trade chip either for a Dman or upgrade on LW top line.

IMO I would MUCH rather see Hagelin than Wolski. And Newbury and Hagelin played well together down in the AHL so far this season.

Old
10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:

if those 3 lines remain together then imo there is zero logical reason to keep wolski on the team in any capacity. even if he fit on that 4th line, you can't carry a $3.8 mil cap hit for a 4th liner/extra forward. that is just stupid.

replace him with someone like mitchell and that would give us over $5 mil in cap space, which could be either used NOW to get blueline help if we find out that staal and/or sauer are going to be out longer then expected. or would put us in a great position near the deadline to add peices.

Old
10-19-2011, 04:49 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
IMO I would MUCH rather see Hagelin than Wolski. And Newbury and Hagelin played well together down in the AHL so far this season.
Correct. Deveaux was also great with them and would make that fourth line (Rupp - Newbury - Deveaux) very tough although somewhat offensively challenged.

Old
10-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Hagelin looked mighty good in that video.

Old
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Agreed , Wolski serves no purpose on the 4th line he needs to move up or they may as well move him for a Dman.

Hagelin will get a shot if he keeps this up. Is'nt he like 23?

Old
10-19-2011, 06:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Agreed , Wolski serves no purpose on the 4th line he needs to move up or they may as well move him for a Dman.

Hagelin will get a shot if he keeps this up. Is'nt he like 23?
Upon further research his birthday is in August, so he is indeed 23. But there are quite a few players who take time to develop both physically and as a player.

Hagelin may have been ready this year if he had left school as a junior but he decided to stay. Not a big deal if he plays even a full year in the AHL as I think he will be a very good bottom-6 player as he adds strength.

Old
10-19-2011, 08:01 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Upon further research his birthday is in August, so he is indeed 23. But there are quite a few players who take time to develop both physically and as a player.

Hagelin may have been ready this year if he had left school as a junior but he decided to stay. Not a big deal if he plays even a full year in the AHL as I think he will be a very good bottom-6 player as he adds strength.
This is the key thing for me. He definitely has the wheels and the smarts to play in the NHL, and I'd say he has the hands to be a solid 3rd line wing. To be a good 3rd liner, though, he'll have to be strong enough to hold his own along the boards.

One interesting thing to look at will be whether he slows down as the year goes on. He's coming from college, so the long schedule is new to him. At the same time, everyone at Michigan raved about his conditioning. I guess we'll find out just how good it is.

Old
10-19-2011, 08:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
This is the key thing for me. He definitely has the wheels and the smarts to play in the NHL, and I'd say he has the hands to be a solid 3rd line wing. To be a good 3rd liner, though, he'll have to be strong enough to hold his own along the boards.

One interesting thing to look at will be whether he slows down as the year goes on. He's coming from college, so the long schedule is new to him. At the same time, everyone at Michigan raved about his conditioning. I guess we'll find out just how good it is.
This is a very good point that people don't think about enough. By all acounts he is a gym rat but very few things can prepare a player for the rigors of a pro season.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
if those 3 lines remain together then imo there is zero logical reason to keep wolski on the team in any capacity. even if he fit on that 4th line, you can't carry a $3.8 mil cap hit for a 4th liner/extra forward. that is just stupid.

replace him with someone like mitchell and that would give us over $5 mil in cap space, which could be either used NOW to get blueline help if we find out that staal and/or sauer are going to be out longer then expected. or would put us in a great position near the deadline to add peices.

The Rangers should try to deal away WW to a team that is either looking for another offensive threat. It's more likely to be a team trying to find offense to make the playoff rather than add a scorer for a Cup run. I think there might be a borderline playoff team that would take Wolski for a mid-round pick.

Probably not now because his salary is so high, but as things get closer to the deadline, salary won't matter nearly as much.

If we could get a 4th and a 6th for each of WW and MZA, I'll be satisfied. It would give us four additional picks for players we have no use for at this stage. Who knows how the picks turn out.

Closed Thread