HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long term, who stays at C?

Old
07-12-2011, 07:45 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Long term, who stays at C?

Leafs fan here, but I've grown to like the Flyers and a lot of their players. With the acquisition of Brayden Schenn and the drafting of Sean Couturier you guys have 2 centers who could easily develop into top 6 (1st or 2nd line) types in the next few years, and obviously you've already got 2 great top 6 centers in Giroux and Briere. While there's nothing wrong with having a top notch C on the 3rd line, having one on the 4th line is not making great use of your assets. Long term (a few years down the line), assuming both Schenn and Couturier develop well, what do you see happening? Some options:

a) Someone moves to the wing (Giroux seems the most likely candidate, but possibly one of Schenn or Couturier?)
b) Someone gets traded (who would be most likely?)
c) By the time Couturier is ready, Briere has declined to the point where this is not an issue (not likely IMO, I see Couturier being ready pretty soon)
d) Homer is gonna keep shaking up the team, in 2-3 years this team is gonna be completely different regardless!

Obviously nobody can tell the future, but I'm just curious to hear the opinions of Flyers fans. Too much talent at C is a very good problem to have, but long term it is something that will have to be resolved, one way of the other.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:56 PM
laundryman

I think Schenn will be a center once the season starts, but once Couturier is ready for the NHL (who knows when that will be), Schenn will be on the wing (assuming this is with Briere, which I expect it to be)

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
By the time Briere is ready to go and Couturier is establishing himself I can see Couturier getting a lot of minutes at C and being moved up to replace other wingers on the top two lines as the situation dictates.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:26 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

This upcoming year Couturier will have to play as a wing, but I believe in a year or two Briere will be on the wing with Giroux, Coutrier, and Schenn down the middle.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:35 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Most people forget Giroux entered the NHL as a RW I would expect that if Couturier and Schenn get good enough to be top 6 players that Giroux would move to the Wing. Honestly he plays off the half boards most of the time on the PP anyway and kind of just free wheels. Briere will be Center unless he starts getting out produced by the other two.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
This upcoming year Couturier will have to play as a wing, but I believe in a year or two Briere will be on the wing with Giroux, Coutrier, and Schenn down the middle.
Probably.

Having those three up the middle also mean a better two-way game as well.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Probably.

Having those three up the middle also mean a better two-way game as well.
I would bet Couturier is back in juniors before the year is out.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I don't mean for this season, but for the future, that those three would make great top 3 centers for us.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Actually with the way the NHL is shaking out with the Cap and free agency movements and rising salary I see the possibility of all fours options in play.

With Richards and Carter being traded with those long term contracts I believe we have seen a Flyers change of procedure, as well as the NHL's maybe... I believe that the Flyers will move players much more freely in he future -- albeit not the major blowup we just saw -- but I see high quality players being moved much more often than in the past.

I once believed that the Cap friendly long term deals were the way things were headed, but with the Cap and the need to be flexible I see players coming and going as they try to keep it seamless and stay a contender each season.

I see Sean as a possible future replacement for Briere, but in the meantime I could easily see Centers shifting back and forth as they did the past couple years with the deep centers. I also think that trades could change matters but I don't see a completely different team as Homer does shake it up every now and then.

... Then again maybe none of that happens and Homer gives out long term contracts gain... Who knows?

Last edited by Sawdalite: 07-12-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Most people forget Giroux entered the NHL as a RW I would expect that if Couturier and Schenn get good enough to be top 6 players that Giroux would move to the Wing. Honestly he plays off the half boards most of the time on the PP anyway and kind of just free wheels. Briere will be Center unless he starts getting out produced by the other two.
Thing is they keep thinking that way (moving to wing) with both Giroux and Briere... but then they say how much more options Roo has at center and how much better Briere plays at center and move them back.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:25 PM
MsWoof

Lavi seems hellbent on keeping Briere and Giroux at centre so who the hell knows anymore. I don't think Couturier is going to play in the NHL this season and Schenn will be the third line centre. In 2 or 3 years I have no clue what's going to happen, most of us didn't expect June 23rd to happen so by then, it's anyone's guess.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Leafs fan here, but I've grown to like the Flyers and a lot of their players. With the acquisition of Brayden Schenn and the drafting of Sean Couturier you guys have 2 centers who could easily develop into top 6 (1st or 2nd line) types in the next few years, and obviously you've already got 2 great top 6 centers in Giroux and Briere. While there's nothing wrong with having a top notch C on the 3rd line, having one on the 4th line is not making great use of your assets. Long term (a few years down the line), assuming both Schenn and Couturier develop well, what do you see happening? Some options:

a) Someone moves to the wing (Giroux seems the most likely candidate, but possibly one of Schenn or Couturier?)
b) Someone gets traded (who would be most likely?)
c) By the time Couturier is ready, Briere has declined to the point where this is not an issue (not likely IMO, I see Couturier being ready pretty soon)
d) Homer is gonna keep shaking up the team, in 2-3 years this team is gonna be completely different regardless!

Obviously nobody can tell the future, but I'm just curious to hear the opinions of Flyers fans. Too much talent at C is a very good problem to have, but long term it is something that will have to be resolved, one way of the other.
Schenn has played 9 games in the nhl and couturier hasn't played a single game. Let's pump the brakes a little bit.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:01 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

in my honest opinon, when one of schenn our couturier is ready to seize a top 6 center spot, briere will move to wing. Giroux will most likely be entering his prime by then, with briere on the fringe of the twilight of his career. Giroux likes playing center more apparently, and i have to think the team will do whatever he thinks will allow him to contribute more.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
Schenn has played 9 games in the nhl and couturier hasn't played a single game. Let's pump the brakes a little bit.
While that is 100% true and says quite a bit... my response to that is that the Flyers Organization gave up not only quite a lot to get these two promising players but they changed their entire direction within the core of a contending team... They better be an intrical part of the team of the near future or Giroux and JvR better be ready to raise their games up enough to keep the Flyers in contention after being somewhat gutted -- not forgetting the huge upgrade in goal and the culture change with the personnel changes -- To me it is not too early to discuss how we foresee the team adjusting as the two 'kids' prepare to join the team and the city... although much can change between now and when they actually totally fit in.

... In the very least it is to me interesting, and hopefully it will paint a upbeat picture of a revamped team with a very young core merging with a quickly aging one.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Briere had 68 points last season. Up from 53.

Declining?

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:57 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I don't know about that honestly.

Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr
Couturier - Schenn - Simmonds
Nodl - Betts - Talbot
Shelley

Long term though it's pretty obviously:

xxxxx - Giroux - xxxxx
xxxxx - Schenn - xxxxx
xxxxx - Couturier - xxxxx

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Briere had 68 points last season. Up from 53.

Declining?
You didn't read the post correctly.

He's giving options of future events that COULD HAPPEN...thus the a, b, c, and d list.

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote