HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Protector?

Old
07-03-2011, 07:46 AM
old scotia

vCash: 500
Protector?

When the Oliers interviewed Darcy Hordichuk they asked him if he would protect his teammates.
Sure wish the habs would ask that question to someone...anyone. Another year of ********* hockey is not entertaining when you see Subban chased around the ice and grabbed and shaken.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:49 AM
BLONG7

Let's hope the Habs address this issue, with one more signing...Ryan White and one other player, along with a couple of the Dmen who can drop them, if need be.

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:00 AM
habs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Let's hope the Habs address this issue, with one more signing...Ryan White and one other player, along with a couple of the Dmen who can drop them, if need be.
Rick Rypien signed for 700K with the jets and Anthony Stewart signed with Carolina, who also signed Justin Soryal. Carolina finally realizing they needed to get tougher. Habe so far have not followed suit and with the Martin/Gauthier duo, they likely won't. They'll be pushed around/beaten up again this season. I'm praying they do the right thing and sign Steve MacIntyre, but not holding my breath

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs24 View Post
Rick Rypien signed for 700K with the jets and Anthony Stewart signed with Carolina, who also signed Justin Soryal. Carolina finally realizing they needed to get tougher. Habe so far have not followed suit and with the Martin/Gauthier duo, they likely won't. They'll be pushed around/beaten up again this season. I'm praying they do the right thing and sign Steve MacIntyre, but not holding my breath
How does Anthony Stewart make anybody tougher?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:15 AM
boomboom

Two guys I would love the Habs to get
Asham and Konopka

they can play, hit, and fight..................
not hw. but they will drop the gloves when needed

boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:22 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Trade Moen for Matt Cooke so other teams are wasting their energy chasing Cooke around instead of PK.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:22 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Asham re-signed in Pittsburgh.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

There's Winchester and Boulton left I think, Winchester is huge and can fight but I think he's not very good at it, while Boulton is a plain goon, which JM doesn't like... I wouldn't mind Winchester, at least get some size and aggression.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:10 AM
stubbadub

Martin: "If we sign enough skilled players, we can afford to lose a couple if there are extras!"

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
Martin: "If we sign enough skilled players, we can afford to lose a couple if there are extras!"
I laughed.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:26 AM
le_sean

Is Ryan White not good enough at it? What's the point of having a goon? We all saw how well our previous one worked out.

I have no problem with a guy that can play hockey AND fight like Winchester. But please don't talk about senseless goons like Hordichuk who are becoming obsolete.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
Love it!

I'd love Zenon Konopka for our 4th line center position (great of faceoffs and tough as nail). I wouldn't mind adding another big guy who can skate and not afraid to drop the gloves if need be, someone like Aaron Asham or Brad Winchester. Heck, if he was available by trade, I'd give a fair bit for David Clarkson in New Jersey!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Montréal doesn't need a goon. We need players who can play.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Dekar

I've been having a weird feeling since yesterday that we're going to sign Konopka. Here's hoping it comes to fruition.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Iwishihadacup

Another slow-as-molasses-can't-play-more-than-5-minutes-and-take-stupid-penalty-useless-goon ?

I thought we had learned with big useless Laraque

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Is Ryan White not good enough at it? What's the point of having a goon? We all saw how well our previous one worked out.

I have no problem with a guy that can play hockey AND fight like Winchester. But please don't talk about senseless goons like Hordichuk who are becoming obsolete.
Maybe the Bruins would have thought twice about breaking Max's neck, if they knew there might be some retribution. Instead 20 guys are yelling from the bench, 'Hey that wasn't very nice!'

Last edited by Habs: 07-03-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:00 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Another slow-as-molasses-can't-play-more-than-5-minutes-and-take-stupid-penalty-useless-goon ?

I thought we had learned with big useless Laraque
How can you say this guy doesn't have talent? The proof is in the pudding:

Frankly I'd be thrilled to have another player in this mould.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Maybe the Bruins would have thought twice about breaking Chara's neck, if they knew there might be some retribution. Instead 20 guys are yelling from the bench, 'Hey that wasn't very nice!'
Ignoring the hilarious brain fart...

Maybe Randy Jones would have thought twice about drilling Patrice Bergeron into the boards if he knew there might be some retribution. Instead 20 guys are yelling from the bench, 'Hey that wasn't very nice!'

Maybe Matt Cooke would have thought twice about introducing his forearm to Marc Savard's head if he knew there might be some retribution. Instead 20 guys are yelling from the bench, 'Hey that wasn't very nice!'

Maybe Aaron Rome would have thought twice about knocking a vulnerable Nathan Horton into next season if he knew there might be some retribution. Instead 20 guys are yelling from the bench, 'Hey that wasn't very nice!'

If anybody at this point thinks goons and enforcers protect players from cheap shots, they're a lost cause.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:03 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
When the Oliers interviewed Darcy Hordichuk they asked him if he would protect his teammates.
Sure wish the habs would ask that question to someone...anyone.
You mean avenge, of course. There is very little opportunity for actual protection.

Boogaard could not protect Mikko Koivu, Odjick could not protect Richard Zednik, Chara could not protect Nathan Horton, Thornton could not protect Marc Savard, Bertuzzi did not protect Naslund, Ryan White could not protect Pacioretty. I could go on forever.

Just the fact that THREE Bruins are on the list for guys whose bells were rung, some multiple times, should tell you that having tough guys does not protect against cheap shots.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:05 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Montréal doesn't need a goon. We need players who can play.
How do explain the fact that most teams in the league disagree?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:06 AM
rousseau15

i am of the belief that the role of the enforcer is still relevant .Everyone brings up laraque ,(and rightfully so),but i go back to when the habs had darren langdon .Serviceable,not a bad hockey player and knew his role .thats the kind of enforcer we need .

rousseau15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:10 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau15 View Post
i am of the belief that the role of the enforcer is still relevant .Everyone brings up laraque ,(and rightfully so),but i go back to when the habs had darren langdon .Serviceable,not a bad hockey player and knew his role .thats the kind of enforcer we need .
If at least you would have listed John Ferguson and Chris Nilan, I could respect the argument, but Darren Langdon as a good hockey player?

You can't be serious.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:12 AM
NSHabs

So those of you who see no value in protection....did you enjoy what happened during those games with Boston?Do you think that was right? I want you here to defend this position again when Subban or Eller is lying on the ice with a serious injury inflicted by Lucic or Thortons fists....because it WILL happen if this pacifist regime continues to live with its heads in the sand.ENOUGH!

NSHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
You mean avenge, of course. There is very little opportunity for actual protection.

Boogaard could not protect Mikko Koivu, Odjick could not protect Richard Zednik, Chara could not protect Nathan Horton, Thornton could not protect Marc Savard, Bertuzzi did not protect Naslund, Ryan White could not protect Pacioretty. I could go on forever.

Just the fact that THREE Bruins are on the list for guys whose bells were rung, some multiple times, should tell you that having tough guys does not protect against cheap shots.
Faced with the above facts, religious believer Rousseau parries with

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau15 View Post
i am of the belief that the role of the enforcer is still relevant
Great argument!

Old
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

i think we have to get someone like that . laraque didnt do what we signed him to do and no one really wanted to fight him we need someone who in case one of our guys gets hurt he will go after the guy that hurt him and make him pay without sending him a fax asking if he wanted to fight . that was the problem with laraque . i want konopka and or boulton please

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote