HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Sign Brad Richardson. 2 years, 2.35M

Old
07-12-2011, 08:23 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Agreed. I personally prefer Lewis as the third line right wing. He is better defensively and that is a position he is comfortable and used to playing.
Problem with that, is that neither Parse or Richie is good defensively, so you'd have a 4th line that can't play D. Parse-Richardson-Westgarth

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Does anyone think maybe TM will match a gagne/richards line up w/ other teams first line and loktionov/lewis will get the other two center spots? TM already mentioned he wants both playing center so I think that might be the way they go. Richardson will have to beat out one of those two for a center spot and vice versa.

Edit: forgot about Stoll lol! He'll obviously be doin 3rd line duty which I think means lewis will be the 4th line guy. It is only his 2nd year and proved to be worthy of the 4th line spot. Richardson is more than likely going to be on the wing I would think.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 07-12-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Does anyone think maybe TM will match a gagne/richards line up w/ other teams first line and loktionov/lewis will get the other two center spots? TM already mentioned he wants both playing center so I think that might be the way they go. Richardson will have to beat out one of those two for a center spot and vice versa.

Edit: forgot about Stoll lol! He'll obviously be doin 3rd line duty which I think means lewis will be the 4th line guy. It is only his 2nd year and proved to be worthy of the 4th line spot. Richardson is more than likely going to be on the wing I would think.
Yeah, Kopitar, Richards, and Stoll are locked at center, I think Murray was just saying that he likes those two staying in their center spots rather than playing wing, so if they make the team, he would hope it would be as centers.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:19 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Richie hasn't played a single game as a RW as a king. I know Hammonds also has Richie penciled in as a RW but I highly doubt Richie plays there.

TM likes to mix up the lineups a lot but he doesn't play players out of their position. That is unless his name is Ted Purcell.
If you watch most of Richardson's goals (which you can by clicking here, http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocent...70755&fr=false), you'll see that he actually tends to score quite a few of his goals from the right side.

Also, he played RW when he was with the Colorado Avalanche, here's the proof, with him being listed as such on their official website, http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470755. I think with his speed, he can be used effectively as an off-side winger on the checking line.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 07-13-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:04 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

God I wish I had bookmarked the quote because this comes up ALL the time with ppl saying richie can play RW like it ain't no thang, but a few years ago richie himself said quite explicitly that he isn't very good at the right side and has scarcely played it.

This last season Murray put him there for a game or two, but other than that Richie (with us) has ALWAYS been a center or left wing.

The quote was something to the effect of "I'm versatile because I can shift between center and lw smoothly, but I can't/dont play the right". I searched for it once, but I'm a terrible researcher.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
God I wish I had bookmarked the quote because this comes up ALL the time with ppl saying richie can play RW like it ain't no thang, but a few years ago richie himself said quite explicitly that he isn't very good at the right side and has scarcely played it.

This last season Murray put him there for a game or two, but other than that Richie (with us) has ALWAYS been a center or left wing.

The quote was something to the effect of "I'm versatile because I can shift between center and lw smoothly, but I can't/dont play the right". I searched for it once, but I'm a terrible researcher.
He did play RW as recently as March.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/03/09...ardson-update/
Quote:
The Kings will make one lineup change tonight, with Brad Richardson replacing Kevin Westgarth as the fourth-line right winger.
Here's Terry Murray talking about the importance of having a versatile forward like Brad Richardson in an interview conducted earlier this past season, http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/11/09...n-everywhere/:
Quote:
The movement is a testament to Richardson’s versatility. HIs game, centered around strong skating and work ethic, translates well to any line. He’s not an elite scorer, but he rarely turns in a disappointing effort, and today Terry Murray spoke of his appreciation for Richardson, who has three goals and one assist in 13 games.

MURRAY: “You have to have a player who is flexible and capable of moving to different positions. That’s just the way the game is here, today. With the distance we have between Manchester and here, with the (salary) cap, with the new-look game that we play, there’s a need to have players coming out of the penalty kill, coming out of the power play, that can fill in on the center position for one shift or two shifts, or move to a wing. It’s invaluable to have a player like Richardson who can adjust to those looks.

“As I said last year, with Peter Harrold it was play defense, play right wing, and I had him at center a little bit last year, on the fourth line. Those utility players are truly invaluable to have, for a coach. It might be hard for a player to feel that importance when he is moving around, from first to second to fourth line, but let me assure you — and I do tell the players — that their role on the team is very important.”
I found this quote from Richardson prior to the start of the season.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/09/20...re-everywhere/
Quote:
“I feel comfortable at any position, any of the three forward positions, so wherever I end up, that’s fine with me.”
And Richardson discussing the difference between playing center or winger:
http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/03/16...son-moving-up/
Quote:
RICHARDSON: “There’s definitely more skating at center. Your responsibility in the defensive zone is as a tracker, going back. Usually it’s the center going back and battling and getting the puck. You have to be the guy who gets the puck in the middle of the ice and be able to distribute it where they want. It’s definitely more skating, but that’s one part of my game I don’t mind doing, is skating.”
I couldn't find anything on him talking about the difficulty of having to play RW. Perhaps you are thinking of a Dustin Brown interview where he talked about being uncomfortable playing the opposite wing?

Old
07-13-2011, 03:33 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

No... It wasn't Brown. It might have been Murray saying he can't or prefers not to play richie at RW. Details get muddled in my head, but I remember the point!

Regardless, I will say I think richie has improved in the last year and a half and he very well may be fully capable of playing the right side now. What I object to is the notion that there is a ton of precedent. It's happened, sure, but rarely and has never been the ole fallback for richie when the lines need juggling.

Old
07-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
No... It wasn't Brown. It might have been Murray saying he can't or prefers not to play richie at RW. Details get muddled in my head, but I remember the point!

Regardless, I will say I think richie has improved in the last year and a half and he very well may be fully capable of playing the right side now. What I object to is the notion that there is a ton of precedent. It's happened, sure, but rarely and has never been the ole fallback for richie when the lines need juggling.
You're right in that Richardson has mainly been utilized as a LW and C during his tenure as a King, but I think Terry Murray's options with where to place Richardson are limited to RW on the 3rd line or LW on the 4th line.

I think he's too talented to be on the 4th line and Clifford is being groomed in that 3rd line LW spot, thus the most logical place to insert Richardson in my mind is at that 3rd RW spot.

Old
07-13-2011, 04:18 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I also remember that quote, JDM.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:45 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

You have a point about lack of a center or lw spot for him Ziggy. He will have to do well at RW unless parse falters. But that's an interesting thing... Should we be handing it to parse over richie out of hand? If anything, i seem to recall Parse spending his fair share of time on RW two years ago (I could be making that up... But it sounds right).

BigBrown, glad to know I'm not totally crazy!

Old
07-13-2011, 05:02 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Talking about center's this is what TM said to MayorsManor and I don't see Stoll mentioned, don't think it means that he won't be playing but I thought it could be interesting. Apparently the whole interview isn't up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateFreak View Post
From @mayorNHL

#LAKings coach Murray says Anze Kopitar has been completly cleared by medical staff, set to resume on ice workouts at the end of this month.

#LAKings coach Murray says he was impressed w/ workouts he observed about a month ago - Penner, @DustinBrown23, Parse, Greene working hard

re: line combos, #LAKings coach Murray said he wants Penner/Kopitar and Gagne/Richards together, will alternate Brown/Williams on RW (cont)

re 3/4 line: @LAKings coach Murray says Loktionov / Lewis are better centers, doesnt see either playing wing next yr, 5 Cs is 'good problem'

More coming on MayorsManor.com

TONS more w/ coach Murray going up in nxt 24 hours - he broke down all the prospects, talked power play changes for next season, Doughty etc

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Stoll will be the 3rd line C unless Loki really impresses, and Stoll moves onto his wing

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:39 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
In regards to Richie, I think the most important thing that we need to remember is that he's probably our worst defensive forward. And yet, some of you guys want to place him on our checking line playing against opponents BEST line? Where's the logic in that?
And to make matters worse, Richie has played very little on the RW.

If logic were to factor in, hands down Lewis should be the RW if not the C on the 3rd line. He's one of our best two way forwards.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Nex06

Agreed, Richardson should be on 4th line, he just can't play enough D for anything else. I am glad he has signed for two more years, but the cap is the maximum I would give. Probably he wanted a longer contract at similar or maybe even higher cap and the compromise was a decent cap with only 2 seasons. A classic "prove yourself" contract.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
Quote:
In regards to Richie, I think the most important thing that we need to remember is that he's probably our worst defensive forward. And yet, some of you guys want to place him on our checking line playing against opponents BEST line? Where's the logic in that?

If logic were to factor in, hands down Lewis should be the RW if not the C on the 3rd line. He's one of our best two way forwards.
our top two lines will match up with the other team's best line. no reason to waste our third line on that. both of our top two lines will also be excellent defensively, so we don't need a stopper line as much as we have in the past. especially with no more handzus, i can't see murray going down that path.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Problem with that, is that neither Parse or Richie is good defensively, so you'd have a 4th line that can't play D. Parse-Richardson-Westgarth
well that happens if you squeeze top 6 player into 4th line action
and expect some scoring touch.

Richardson is nothing else than a playmaker and Parse is nothing else than a gritty scorer.

If Murray really pencils them in as 4th liners and let our real stopper like Clifford or Stoll play a 3rd line scoring role
i lose the little bit of left respect for him...
the life could be really easy....

Penner - Kopitar - Williams
Ganger - Richards - Brown
Parse - Richardson - Lewis
Clifford - Stoll - King

3 scoring lines and one true stopper line.........
I would prefer Lewis as 4th line center but i don't wanna have anything to do with Stoll on the 3rd line

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:

In my opinion, Lewis is going to be the 4th line center unless he flops in camp and Loktionov flourishes which is unlikely. We've already seen that Lewis can handle the 4th line duy. He doesn't need a promotion unless he earns it. I don't see any reason why a second year guy can't mull around on the 4th line and continue to round out his game. That is what Red Wings model is and I assume what DL & co trying to emulate. And TM said himself he doesn't see Loktionov or Lewis playing wing:

Quote:
re 3/4 line: @LAKings coach Murray says Loktionov / Lewis are better centers, doesnt see either playing wing next yr, 5 Cs is 'good problem'
Now that isn't exactly gospel especially coming out of Murray's mouth but I personally think Loktionov will be in Manchester come fall. He's hurt himself twice in his short career. He needs minutes and time to buidl up strength so hopefully his arms don't fall out again.

As far as Richardson goes, I don't think he is any worse than Parse or some of the other players mentioned to play on the wing on the 3rd line. I think he is weakness defensively is more glaring at center than it is at the wing as it should be. And like I said, it wouldn't be shocking to see TM use Gagne/Richards as the stopper line given their defensive prowess and put more offense on the 3rd line with Stoll. the Kings are going to have depth which will give them roster flexibility but going off the coaches comments, it doesn't look like he anticipates using either Lewis or Loktionov on the wing.

Old
07-13-2011, 01:08 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

Richardson is nothing else than a playmaker and Parse is nothing else than a gritty scorer.

If Murray really pencils them in as 4th liners and let our real stopper like Clifford or Stoll play a 3rd line scoring role

Clifford - Stoll - King

I would prefer Lewis as 4th line center but i don't wanna have anything to do with Stoll on the 3rd line
That is the anti-Murray 3rd line, Parse is just an awful defender anywhere and Richardson can't bare the defensive responsibility of 3C in this system.

The centers to start the year will almost certainly be Kopi, Richards, Stoll and Lewis.

GET OVER IT!

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

Clifford - Stoll - King

Which one of those lines is the stopper line? Just curious...

You are fighting a losing battle if you think Stoll is going to be on the 4th line.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:

Are you forgetting that Richardson mainly played on the checking line with Handzus and Simmonds? As someone already mentioned, his poor defensive coverage was glaring when he was playing C and matched up against the likes of Thornton, Pavelski and Couture. He's better as a winger.

Old
07-13-2011, 02:13 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Are you forgetting that Richardson mainly played on the checking line with Handzus and Simmonds? As someone already mentioned, his poor defensive coverage was glaring when he was playing C and matched up against the likes of Thornton, Pavelski and Couture. He's better as a winger.
Not sure that Richie "mainly" played on the 3rd line. He got moved around quite a bit as well as being a healthy scratch. By my recollection, Poni got the most 3LW time not Richie.

Yes, he's better as a winger, a left winger.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Nex06

13.03% Ev 23 Brown,dustin - 11 Kopitar,anze - 15 Richardson,brad
9.42% Ev 13 Clifford,kyle - 15 Richardson,brad - 17 Simmonds,wayne
7.68% Ev 13 Clifford,kyle - 22 Lewis,trevor - 15 Richardson,brad
6.45% Ev 26 Handzus,michal - 15 Richardson,brad - 17 Simmonds,wayne
6.02% Ev 22 Lewis,trevor - 15 Richardson,brad - 19 Westgarth,kevin
5.5% Ev 26 Handzus,michal - 27 Ponikarovsky,alexei - 15 Richardson,brad
5.07% Ev 11 Kopitar,anze - 15 Richardson,brad - 17 Simmonds,wayne
3.78% Ev 13 Clifford,kyle - 15 Richardson,brad - 19 Westgarth,kevin
3.24% Ev 23 Brown,dustin - 26 Handzus,michal - 15 Richardson,brad
2.78% Ev 22 Lewis,trevor - 27 Ponikarovsky,alexei - 15 Richardson,brad
2.58% Ev 26 Handzus,michal - 15 Richardson,brad - 14 Williams,justin
2.26% Sh 15 Richardson,brad - 28 Stoll,jarret
2.21% Ev 15 Richardson,brad - 28 Stoll,jarret - 14 Williams,justin
1.8% Ev 23 Brown,dustin - 13 Clifford,kyle - 15 Richardson,brad
1.75% Ev 15 Richardson,brad - 10 Schenn,brayden - 19 Westgarth,kevin

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:58 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think that was a result of him playing center and not matching up well against the likes of Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski and Logan Couture.

He should do better as a winger playing with Stoll and Clifford. He'll bring some much needed speed and tenacity to that line. I thought Richardson played his best when he was playing wing with Handzus and Simmonds.

He'll be a player counted on as being the first one to the puck due to his advantage in speed. He's not the most physical nor the strongest, but he can use his skating to pressure opposing defense men and force turnovers while Clifford handles the rough stuff and Stoll plays the role of the defensively responsible center (which he excels at).
His speed is actually what gets him off position he takes chances and puts a lot of pressure on the puck holder and then he is not in position to get back. I love his hustle but it causes him to be in trouble against better players as such as you mentioned. Reminds me of the situation where you have a defender at offensive blue and he has to make the choice to pinch or back off.

He will learn. Can't imagine he wouldn't continue to improve.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Penner-Kopitar-Brown

Gagne-Richards-Williams

Clifford-Stoll-Richardson

Parse-Lewis-Holloway/Westgarth

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old