HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Hockeybuzz: Mike Green to the Oilers?

Old
07-13-2011, 09:47 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Wouldn't mind Green in the orange and blue...but I think Washington would want way more than I think he's worth on a team that doesn't have the same firepower as the Caps do.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
this is rediculus bud, how much better do you think wash needs to get after getting ward, brouwer, hamerlik and vokoun. they cant take on any amount of salary in any deal they may make ie. hemsky. if they move salary it will be for prospects and picks, nothing that will make them better now because that means salary that they dont have room for.
The reason this deal wouldn't happen would be because of imbalance, not because of salary.

To Washington
Hemsky (4.1M)
Gagner (2.275M)
Teubert (ELC)
2012 2nd Rounder (if they actually do have another one)

To Edmonton
Mike Green (5.25M)
Jeff Schultz (2.75M)
2012 1st Rounder (Washington)

Washington clears up 1.625M in cap space while getting better, leaving plenty of space with Poti going on LTIR for resigning Alzner.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
The reason this deal wouldn't happen would be because of imbalance, not because of salary.

To Washington
Hemsky (4.1M)
Gagner (2.275M)
Teubert (ELC)

To Edmonton
Mike Green (5.25M)
Jeff Schultz (2.75M)

Washington clears up 1.625M in cap space while getting better, leaving plenty of space with Poti going on LTIR for resigning Alzner.
I love this proposal for a few reasons.

1) Money to resign Alzner
2) Get rid of Green and Schultz, the playoff unfriendly ghost and the hulking giant who can hit about as hard as a 95 year old woman
3)Washington's 1st rounder and Edmonton's 2nd rounder won't be farther than 10-15 picks apart.
4) We get an elite playmaking winger with Finals experience
5) We get another center, can never have too many of them.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:39 AM
FrankM73

Caps fan here...

I'm sure I'll get called freaking crazy but as a GM one of the responsibilities is to look to the future and if
A) I was GMGM, and
B) They were thinking of trading Mike Green

I would totally be looking at Edmonton as a trading partner

something like this:

To EDM:
D-Mike Green, 5.25mil, RFA
LW-Jason Chimera, 1.875mil, UFA
2012 1st round pick

To WASH:
1 of (D-Ryan Whitney 4mil, 2 more yrs NTC, or Tom Gilbert 4mil, 3 more yrs)
1 of (C-Shawn Horcoff 5.5mil, 5 more yrs NTC, or C-Sam Gagne 2.275mil, 1 more yr RFA)
2012 1st round pick (Caps pick, not Avs)

My reasoning:
This years draft is strong. the chance to grab any of the top 6 (RW-Yakupov, the other 2 Russian Centers, AND the 3 top D) is worth sending Green away for parts that we could use more of this year (a lesser D and a true Center.

I'm sure I'll get flamed and people will say Green isn't worth it but you do have the cap space to resign him and Green and he is the best offensive D in the league when he's on... bar none!

personally, I think it's a mistake to trade Green since he's in transition to a more overall game (his hits and block shots were up last year, sadly his concussion didn't help near the end of the year)

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

So how accurate has Ekund and "Hockey Buzz" been this offseason? About 1 for 300?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:51 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

If Mike Green is going to Edmonton, the deal is going to need to center around something a lot better than Gagner.

Think unprotected 1st in 2012 or one of those shiny core pieces that Edmonton has been stockpiling.

In other words, not gonna happen.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:51 AM
nmbr_24

Would Washington trade one of the top offensive defenseman in the league for a forward who isn't a top liner on the worst team in the league and a prospect who isn't even at the top of the Oilers prospect list?

I have a feeling they wouldn't be interested and could get a much better deal than that. They are trying to win the Cup and I don't see how this makes them better.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayzer View Post
Damn, put green with Hall, RNH, Eberle on the PP....look out!

To EDM: Mike Green
To WSH: Sam Gagner, Linus Omark, Oscar Klefbom OR Colten Teubert, 2012 2nd Rounder.
So put Green with worse players on the powerplay gets a 'Damn' and 'look out!'? Damn, he's got 43 points this year. Look out, he's a rich man's version of MAB!

Secondly, your offer is good for a team that's rebuilding, not one that has stanley cup aspirations.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
I love this proposal for a few reasons.

1) Money to resign Alzner
2) Get rid of Green and Schultz, the playoff unfriendly ghost and the hulking giant who can hit about as hard as a 95 year old woman
3)Washington's 1st rounder and Edmonton's 2nd rounder won't be farther than 10-15 picks apart.
4) We get an elite playmaking winger with Finals experience
5) We get another center, can never have too many of them.
Right, of course most of us Caps fans would take this proposal, but I'm pretty sure most Edmonton fans would not be in favor of it. But it is some kind of overpayment like this that would be required for Washington to trade Mike Green.

I completely disagree that Green is a playoff ghost though, but that is an argument for another thread.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Kosik

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Caps fan here...

I'm sure I'll get called freaking crazy but as a GM one of the responsibilities is to look to the future and if
A) I was GMGM, and

something like this:

To EDM:
2012 1st round pick

To WASH:
1 of (C-Shawn Horcoff 5.5mil, 5 more yrs NTC, or C-Sam Gagne 2.275mil, 1 more yr RFA)

My reasoning:
This years draft is strong. the chance to grab any of the top 6 (RW-Yakupov, the other 2 Russian Centers, AND the 3 top D) is worth sending Green away for parts that we could use more of this year (a lesser D and a true Center.

I'm sure I'll get flamed and people will say Green isn't worth it but you do have the cap space to resign him and Green and he is the best offensive D in the league when he's on... bar none!

personally, I think it's a mistake to trade Green since he's in transition to a more overall game (his hits and block shots were up last year, sadly his concussion didn't help near the end of the year)
Done Gilbert and horcoff it is.

Kosik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosik View Post
Done Gilbert and horcoff it is.
That's actually pretty funny (but makes sense as I'm a Caps fan) because I'd be closer to accepting it if the deal was Whitney and Gagner.

Old
07-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Nacho
Special

oh god yes, let Omark be included with that package. PP with him, Ovy and Backs, now that I would pay to see.

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:46 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
As a Flames fan, I think that would be hilarious.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:29 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Dammit... and I was actually hoping Edmonton would pick him up...

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
TakkoTime

Richard Cloutier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Dammit... and I was actually hoping Edmonton would pick him up...
Richard Cloutier is just a random fan like us who actually lives in Lac la Biche which is at least four hours north of Edmonton. He became the 'Oilers' blogger for Hockeybuzz when they were advertising for one and has less connection to the team or organization than some of the regular posters at HF.
He has zero inside information and is no more reliable than any average joe.

-Takko

TakkoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
Caps fan here...

A) I was GMGM, and

something like this:

To EDM:
2012 1st round pick

To WASH:

My reasoning:

2 trades that could potentially come from that are unbelievably far off.
Whitney, Gagner, 2012 1st - Not a chance Edmonton does this
Gilbert, Horcoff, 2012 1st - Not a chance Washington does this(Although if you have any pull in the Washington organization, please get this deal done...)

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Wheatking

There was a bogus rumor around July 1st that the Caps wanted Gagner, Gilbert and a 2nd and the Oilers said no. I don't know who made that one up but it got back to me. Figured I'd throw it out there.

...and if it actually goes down that 18 year old kid that works at the liquor store is my new #1 source.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
maybe greener wants to come back home to alberta to
Then he would come to Calgary

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivangran View Post
The Oilers are the worst defensive team in the league. Adding Mike Green would not be a good idea.
You are thinking of Colorado, thankfully one team managed to do worse

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 02:49 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
Yea, like I said, its a philosophical argument.

And let's be clear about two things...

1) Mike Green, for as much crap as he takes on these boards, is a sure thing. He's one of the best offensive defensemen in all of hockey.

2) Those draft picks Washington would be getting are potential lottery picks. To take it a step further, and assuming they will indeed turn out to be lottery picks, they very well could end up being Cam Barker and Rotislav Olesz. Would anyone in their right mind trade Mike Green for that package?

My contention is that contending teams do not trade away proven assets for unproven assets, unless it is necessary because of cap issues, or management has decided the roster can't win a Cup with a certain player on it. This simply doesn't apply to the Caps at this time, in my opinion, but as I alluded to earlier, only Washington management truly knows how they feel about Mike Green.
Oh I know what your saying and don't disagree for a minute but IMO they actually could afford to make the trade. At the very least you would have to think it would be very interesting for cap management to have two potential lottery pics and still have a solid cup contending team in place. Those picks could be a Barker or Olesz but they could also be a Stamkos/Duchene. Imagine coming out of a draft with two potential stars and still going for the cup and having a damn good shot at it.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Oh I know what your saying and don't disagree for a minute but IMO they actually could afford to make the trade. At the very least you would have to think it would be very interesting for cap management to have two potential lottery pics and still have a solid cup contending team in place. Those picks could be a Barker or Olesz but they could also be a Stamkos/Duchene. Imagine coming out of a draft with two potential stars and still going for the cup and having a damn good shot at it.
Well, truth be told, I would deal Green if I felt I was getting the right return (The OP proposal is not the right return, imo). I personally don't feel he's a necessary component to the Capitals winning the Cup. So in essence, I don't necessarily disagree with your philosophical view on the subject. Holding two potential lottery picks is enticing, providing that Washington management feels Green is expendable.

My take, however, is that the Caps still feel strongly that Green is a big part of their transition game and their powerplay, and thus don't feel it necessary to deal Green, even for a lottery pick. Unless I'm wrong about how Caps management views Green, I just don't see them moving him for lesser or unproven assets, as enticing as those unproven assets may be.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:22 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post

To Washington
Hemsky (4.1M)
Gagner (2.275M)
Teubert (ELC)

To Edmonton
Mike Green (5.25M)
Jeff Schultz (2.75M)

so our best RWer, 2nd line center and decent d-man prospect for a Souray upgrade

ya, no thanks

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
EroCaps

Is that blogger the same guy who posted that proposal a few days ago or did he just rip him off?

The Caps aren't trading Green and not for Gagne and picks. He's a two-time Norris runner up just entering his prime.

**** the criticism of his defense (which has steadily improved). That's valuable.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:34 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan2354 View Post
2 trades that could potentially come from that are unbelievably far off.
Whitney, Gagner, 2012 1st - Not a chance Edmonton does this
Gilbert, Horcoff, 2012 1st - Not a chance Washington does this(Although if you have any pull in the Washington organization, please get this deal done...)
Sadly I do not... but man if a Green trade could get a serviceable D, a C and Edmonton's 2012 1st, I'd just for joy... strictly at the prospect of having 2 potential top 5 picks in a killer top 6 draft...

Yakupov on the RW in DC would just be icing for the offense... AND one of the stud D-men to boot! *end of double wet dream*

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Eberle
4-93-14

Send a message via MSN to Eberle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
If Green had time to prove his defensive game has improved enough AND that his injuries won't hurt his game, the Oilers MIGHT consider moving our first rounder next year for him.

As it stands, that pick is going no where in a trade for Green.

Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote