HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Simmons discusses Tim Connolly

Old
07-12-2011, 06:02 PM
FireEverybody*

vCash: 500
Is it an apology ?
Not reading if it is not.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Darylman

the article is pretty much entirely truthful I dont see what everyones problem is. It ends by saying he has to put up or shut up.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
the article is pretty much entirely truthful I dont see what everyones problem is. It ends by saying he has to put up or shut up.
The problem is it's Simmons. He long ago sold out any credibility he had, and now there's no reason to listen to anything he has to say about the Leafs, period. Doesn't matter what he says, fair or not, in any one particular article, he has no reason to be taken seriously about anything Leafs.

Is the problem.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Anything written by Simmons is something I'm not reading. The guy is a joke and an embarrassment to journalism.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:22 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Didn't see piece and can't find it. But that deal was a steal for Leafs, rich team robbing poor team. Not really genius on Burke's part just smart using his financial muscle, like Sabres stealing Robyn Regehr by taking on $3-million contract.
Post link if you find it. There are plenty of cheerleaders in Toronto. Simmons is fun.
Simmons' first tweet upon hearing of the Franson deal - "Franson only averaged 15 minutes a game for NSH in the playoffs"...lol

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:39 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
He criticized Burke for not being here on July 1st because he was @ Afghanistan then said that one league exec told him I would have to look for another job if i did that.

He felt that if Brain Burke was in the room instead of being in Afghanistan we would get Brad Richards.
I think Burke should have been in town on July 1 but it's a sensitive issue and I can see his side. Our troops are so important and deserved to be treated with respect at all times. I just wonder if he could have gone on another day (I know there's only one Canada Day) because the trade deadline and UFA day are the two biggest days in the calendar in some ways. Simmons' column on subject was way too harsh.
Simmons is dead wrong on his presence making a difference on Richards. Leafs offered $42-million, right? Rangers $60-million. That's not close. But perhaps they do something else on July 1 if Burke is around?

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:47 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Wait, it's okay, it quotes both Milbury and off the record sources ragging on Connolly, and here I thought it'd be a second rate job.. I smell Pulitzer.

Actually, it quotes Milbury for some things, then it quotes an unnamed source for the parts Milbury didn't want his name attached too So obvious!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:08 PM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

OP says Connolly is a 3rd line centre (he cross-posted to Sabres board) which tells me that the article definitely isn't worth reading

lol

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:13 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
If that is indeed what it says, I would suggest Steve should live by his own words.

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:15 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
I have to agree that the title makes absolutely no sense. At this point there really isn't any reason to read anything written by Simmons.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Garbs

Using terms like this to describe a player:

Quote:
Soft. Sullen. Difficult. Loner. Spoiled brat. Silver spoon kid. Entitled. Not a team player.
And then citing anonymous sources is not fair journalism. What are you people reading?

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:56 PM
sgupca

We need to stop making threads about Simmonds, he's an idiot and doesn't deserve the attention.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:07 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

I'll let the Season do the talking for Connolly, I thought Macathur signing was not useful but I was mistaken, let's hope Connolly doesn't let me down.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Budsfan

Everyone has an opinion but Simmons after he was taken to task, by others in the media because of the article he wrote criticizing Burke for being in Afghanistan and not on hand when the Leafs were making an offer to Richards, is now trying to trivialize Connolly's signing by writing a story and quoting anonymous sources to smear his character.

I read all the stories and articles I can about the Leafs but some are made up and slanted for a skewed point of view, so you take them with a grain of salt and move on.

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
birddog*

Quote:
I'd say overall it's pretty fair. Tacks about upside and potential downside,

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/12...s-always-a-but
Mike Milbury's comments are laughable. He is -- and there is no one close -- the worst GM in the history of the game.

As a player he beat a fan with a shoe. As a GM he traded Chara and Spezza for Yashin, Jokinen and Luongo for Kvasha and Parrish, McCabe and Bertuzzi for an old Trevor Linden.

Baasin states “The first mistake in Connolly’s career was being kept by the Islanders,” after a year and a half of junior. No kidding Mike.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
I think Burke should have been in town on July 1 but it's a sensitive issue and I can see his side. Our troops are so important and deserved to be treated with respect at all times. I just wonder if he could have gone on another day (I know there's only one Canada Day) because the trade deadline and UFA day are the two biggest days in the calendar in some ways. Simmons' column on subject was way too harsh.
Simmons is dead wrong on his presence making a difference on Richards. Leafs offered $42-million, right? Rangers $60-million. That's not close. But perhaps they do something else on July 1 if Burke is around?
I understand what you are getting at but look at it this way, of all the teams chasing Richards, I would say we made out 2nd best behind the Rangers.

We didn't get the only star but we also didn't overpay a bunch of 3rd/4th liners on long term deals. We got the 2nd best C in FA. I know he's not Richards but with that option gone, there was nobody better. The Franson deal was all upside with Lombardi being as big a wild card as Phaneuf or Lupul. Could go from a good deal to a homerun.

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Stephen

That was a fascinating article, it had it all, super talented kid from a successful family who ended up something of a failure with the chance for some major redemption in Toronto in the same division as Buffalo. It really sets up the Connolly tenure in Toronto quite nicely, does he redeem himself and fulfill some of his lost promise, or does he fade away?

Not sure what so many of you Leafs fans are whining about with this article. Either you're too sensitive or you're illiterate. Maybe both.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Norris View Post
The Toronto Sun is for mouth breathers.
I'm a mouthbreather.... but only because I got my nose busted in a fight and didn't bother to get it reset

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:08 PM
RogerRoeper*

Typical negative Simmons crap.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Leafidelity
A New Era

vCash: 1775
After reading the OPs other version of this thread in the Sabres forum and the comments to follow, I hope Connolly rips the Sabres to pieces this year. Their fans deserve nothing more.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:10 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Using terms like this to describe a player:

And then citing anonymous sources is not fair journalism. What are you people reading?
This is the same Simmons who claimed a head-nodding source about Brad Richards was a friend of his then it turned out to be some piece he read on the internet.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

The same Simmons that assured us that Sundin needed major hip surgery putting his season at risk.. Yes that Simmons.

Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
That was a fascinating article, it had it all, super talented kid from a successful family who ended up something of a failure with the chance for some major redemption in Toronto in the same division as Buffalo. It really sets up the Connolly tenure in Toronto quite nicely, does he redeem himself and fulfill some of his lost promise, or does he fade away?

Not sure what so many of you Leafs fans are whining about with this article. Either you're too sensitive or you're illiterate. Maybe both.
Uh...did you happen to catch Garbs' post...?

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Simmons didn't need to do much research to find those terms about Connolly. All he needed to do was ring up any of the guys who cover the Sabres in the Buffalo area and just about all of them have said those things at some point in recent history.

It also doesn't mean a fresh start with new team won't rejuvenate his career, either. 'Tis just words on a page, a bunch of press guys agreeing with one another.

07-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Superdowney

I hope he does well here, not just because I want to see the team succeed but because it makes me feel really bad that he's having such a hard go of it.

Best of luck to him.

Superdowney is offline   Reply With Quote