HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Simmons discusses Tim Connolly

Old
07-12-2011, 10:51 PM
hullsy47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
Simmons' first tweet upon hearing of the Franson deal - "Franson only averaged 15 minutes a game for NSH in the playoffs"...lol
im expecting franson to be a solid 4-5 defenceman thats all ......whats wromg with that tweet?

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Uh...did you happen to catch Garbs' post...?
Who cares? Whether Simmons is making up the specifics or not, it is basically well known that Connolly is not well liked by the Sabres faithful and he's been a disappointing player in the NHL.

I'm not a Tim Connolly fan, I've never followed his career in depth, and he hasn't played a game for the Leafs, so I'm personally invested in defending his character on a message board. Whether it's 'objective journalism' or not, it's an interesting character story, that a) sets up a nice redemption story if he flourishes in Toronto, or b) is interesting take on a failure of sorts. Again, who cares? It's an interesting story.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Who cares? Whether Simmons is making up the specifics or not, it is basically well known that Connolly is not well liked by the Sabres faithful and he's been a disappointing player in the NHL.

I'm not a Tim Connolly fan, I've never followed his career in depth, and he hasn't played a game for the Leafs, so I'm personally invested in defending his character on a message board. Whether it's 'objective journalism' or not, it's an interesting character story, that a) sets up a nice redemption story if he flourishes in Toronto, or b) is interesting take on a failure of sorts. Again, who cares? It's an interesting story.
You attacked people for responding negatively to an article where Simmons attacked Connolly's personal character, calling them idiots who can't read and then wondering what was wrong with the article.

That's who cares.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:14 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrKO28 View Post
that title is an oxymoron
My first thought.

Did the blind squirrel find a nut?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Dutch77
Predictable..

Giving a cynical, insecure and degrading individual with ego problems a platform for the masses is never a good idea.

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Stephen

Quote:
You attacked people for responding negatively to an article where Simmons attacked Connolly's personal character, calling them idiots who can't read and then wondering what was wrong with the article.

That's who cares.
Connolly doesn't have a golden reputation as a character or a hockey player, so Simmon's journalistic particulars aren't that important to scrutinize, when it seems like Sabres fans will corroborate. Plus to the casual observer, he's an injury prone, soft and inconsistent player. The story was an interesting read about a guy who was not fitting in in Buffalo and has a new chance to prove himself and fulfill his potential.

What's the point in attacking Simmons? Connolly has been a Leaf for about a week and a half and it remains to be seen what kind of impact he'll have here as an individual and a player. Hopefully this is his redemption, but if it's not, it will be funny to see these idiots defending him like their grandmother jump down his throat when things aren't going well.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

I can only speak for myself Stephen, but I'm not defending Connolly per say, I just have an utter contempt for anything Simmons writes.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
I can only speak for myself Stephen, but I'm not defending Connolly per say, I just have an utter contempt for anything Simmons writes.
That's fair if that's your preference, I just find it objectionable that people will defend a guy just because he's suddenly a Leaf, when we don't even know the situation.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Jmo89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrKO28 View Post
that title is an oxymoron
Exacly what I thought when I read the title, haha.

Simmons forgot to really drive home the most important point of all: 2 years.

Toronto is well aware of his shortcomings, hence why the management paid more for the short term.

Jmo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
That's fair if that's your preference, I just find it objectionable that people will defend a guy just because he's suddenly a Leaf, when we don't even know the situation.
Won't argue that. From what Chainshot has been posting it does sound like he needs a fresh start, lets cross our fingers I guess.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Won't argue that. From what Chainshot has been posting it does sound like he needs a fresh start, lets cross our fingers I guess.
Yeah definitely. Sounds like he needs this new start and we're overdue for a reclamation that pays off.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Connolly doesn't have a golden reputation as a character or a hockey player, so Simmon's journalistic particulars aren't that important to scrutinize, when it seems like Sabres fans will corroborate. Plus to the casual observer, he's an injury prone, soft and inconsistent player. The story was an interesting read about a guy who was not fitting in in Buffalo and has a new chance to prove himself and fulfill his potential.

What's the point in attacking Simmons? Connolly has been a Leaf for about a week and a half and it remains to be seen what kind of impact he'll have here as an individual and a player. Hopefully this is his redemption, but if it's not, it will be funny to see these idiots defending him like their grandmother jump down his throat when things aren't going well.
Hey, I don't even like the signing. It's not that. People's issue is more that this column was so damn predictable than any debate on Connolly per se. Simmons will be a pathetic wart on Burke's ass for the rest of his time here. His little running "feud" with Burke is sad.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Yeah definitely. Sounds like he needs this new start and we're overdue for a reclamation that pays off.
Who do you suppose was the last one we had that did work? Moore maybe? Allison put up some points too for a more major name.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Who do you suppose was the last one we had that did work? Moore maybe? Allison put up some points too for a more major name.
MacArthur?

Old
07-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
MacArthur?
Touche, missing the forest for the trees I am.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Stephen

Quote:
MacArthur?
MacArthur just seemed like a nice solid pickup, when I think of Connolly, I think of those veteran former/star Jason Allison, Eric Lindros, Mike Peca, Jeff O'Neill pickups that never really helped the team. Anyway, if this works out it will be a very nice turn of events.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Lightsol

Quote:
Wait, it's okay, it quotes both Milbury and off the record sources ragging on Connolly, and here I thought it'd be a second rate job.. I smell Pulitzer.

Because clearly quoting Mad Mike Milbury adds that extra touch of class that Simmons so desperately needed...

Lightsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
MacArthur just seemed like a nice solid pickup, when I think of Connolly, I think of those veteran former/star Jason Allison, Eric Lindros, Mike Peca, Jeff O'Neill pickups that never really helped the team. Anyway, if this works out it will be a very nice turn of events.
I don't know, MacArthur was picked off the scrap heap late in the FA season for pocket change. His last team walked on him in an arbitration hearing and obviously there wasn't much of a bidding war for his services. Good on him for seizing the opportunity and scoring the big dough. Burke gambled on him and rolled a 6.

But you're right about what Connolly is, he's a reclamation project yes, but more of the retread guy-who-used-to-be-good JFJ signing than Mac, who was kind of a fringe guy who had yet to break through.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Renberg? Heh.. he annoyed me, never could warm up to him, not that he was awful or anything, not good, not awful. Good teams those days though so it was easy to not get to worked up over it.

Old
07-13-2011, 12:56 AM
SmoggyTwinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I didn't even have to click the link. This is what I wanted to say.
Neither did I.

I'm not even curious if it means I have to support him by visiting the source. Not even worth a laugh.

SmoggyTwinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Bodybr3ak

Makes him out to be a dick.

I hope he plays an 82 game season and just dominates the Sabres.

Bodybr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:46 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I actually think Connolly was an OK signing for the Leafs, based on the market at the time. If Leafs didn't pay it, someone else would have. Sorry. I just don't believe he's a first line centre. I think he's good for 50-55 points over 70 games because he's a bit brittle.
If that opinion makes me anti-Connolly, I guess I am.
I don't see what is offensive about just posting a link to Simmon's piece in Sun. Yeah, it's Simmons but I thought there were some valid points. I posted in Sabres room too.
That's the same scoring pace for the following players:
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Joe Pavelski
Niklas Backstrom
Jeff Skinner

He's a stopgap centre. He buys us a year or even a half season to get someone from the prospect pool ready and that's it. If he turns into more then he is a gift bag.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Articles pretty harsh on Connolly's character, but it ends well enough basically saying that this could be TC's chance to really shine and he could thrive in the Toronto market. I hate Simmonds as much as the next guy, but I don't think this one was that horrible.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:03 AM
achtungbaby

I guess we're all taking the 'fingers in ears, eyes closed, yada, yada, yada' approach to this? It says a lot about a person when they can't even be bothered to read something and take it with a grain of salt. Is anything in the article about Connolly untrue?

Which reporter who writes about the Leafs and says anything negative about them does this board like anyways? I don't really like Simmons either, but this team hasn't made it to the playoffs in quite awhile, we 'should' be reading negative things about them.

Cue the "but, but, but... it's SIMMONDS!" and "troll" comments.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:53 AM
JoeParez
Respect This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
...we 'should' be reading negative things about them...
Not necessarily; but Simmons lately has become very -- hmm... "sensationalistic" and speaks as if he is right 100% of the time. Not to mention he berates the fanbase; or has the "kick them while their still down" attitude; which is not professional journalism, in my honest opinion.

His articles are always "I heard from a guy" so it's 100% accurate and I'm not going to tell you who it is. To me it sounds like he fabricates stories to support his points.

After the whole "Sundin needs career ending hip surgery" fiasco he's become a very questionable journalist; to which he doesn't even consider himself a journalist but a "columnist." If he comes out and says that I'm writing based on my opinion and it's not 100% a fact, then I'll accept that, but he seems to believe that what he writes was God given.

I hate both preachy negative journalists and homer journalists (I mean the stuff spewed on LeafsTV is sickening!!) however, unbiased, neutral, creative and focused journalism that supports both sides of the story without adding their own personal agenda is a great read. That's what you SHOULD read. I'll give it to Damien Cox, he's been spot on with his writing in the past year. Even guys like Stephen Brunt and Eric Duhatschek are exceptional reads because they don't let their personal opinions get in the way of their work.

Basically, read The Globe and Mail.

JoeParez is offline   Reply With Quote