HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Steve MacIntyre (1 yr | $600k | 2-way)

Old
07-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
A goon signed to a two way contract is better than a top 3 fighter in the league signed to a one-way, imo. I'm happy with this, bc if we're going to have a good, which it seems Shero wants, I'm just glad it's a two-way.

I'll definitely miss Godard, though. Definitely my favorite goon in a Pens sweater in a LONG time.
I blame EA's NHL series for bastardizing what a 2-way contract really means.

A two way contract should not mean a damn thing to us the average fan, it only matters to who signs the checks. 1 way/ 2 way has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to put someone in the minors. Whether or not they're subject to waivers is due to time played and not the actual contract itself. So if a player is on a 1 way contract for 600k they can still just as easily be stashed in the minors it's just that the team is going to pay their 600k salary but it doesnt count against the cap. The 2 way part only means that their salary that the team has to pay when they're in the minors is a smaller amount. So to us fans one way/two way just doesnt matter.

Just something that I see way way way too often and it irks me.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
For the record this is the same Steve Macintyre who was waived at least 7 times in 2009-10 alone. Regardless of the contract status I'd say it was a given he was going to be waived. The fact that it's a two-way, I promise I know what it means, just sort of guarantees it as people have said already. Who's going to claim a player they could have signed for AHL money during the summer?

And more importantly what middle-aged UFAs that have to settle for two-ways, again I swear I know the meaning, don't end up getting sent down at some point? There may be an answer to that but it's definitely not going to be your archetype HW goon.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Gooch

There seems to be a spot on a NHL club for a good goon. They're different from a 4th line plug in that they provide an element that clubs want. I don't see him being waived at all, he'll likely sit in the press box but a team wants the option to have him available to play in a game they expect to be unusually rough. Look at the last guy we tried to send through waivers that was good with his fists, he got snagged up by the Coyotes.

Old
07-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Rob Scuderi

Right but Bissonette wasn't just an UFA who had nearly two weeks of free negotiations with any club in the world. I just don't see the same level of interest. Presumably, Macintyre couldn't find a single club to give him a one-way so I just don't think everyone needs to be too worried.

Valabik got waived last year, re-entry too, and he still made it by unscathed. Teams will be pushing that 50 contract limit by September so I just don't think there's going to be nearly that big a demand as people think. Waivers just comes with the territory with these guys.

Plus if Shero were really worried he could just send him down the same time the whole league makes their cuts, there'd be plenty of more talented players, and he'd be insulated fine. Of course that'd leave him to re-entry any time we needed him but again I just think it's part of the deal.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:05 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I blame EA's NHL series for bastardizing what a 2-way contract really means.

A two way contract should not mean a damn thing to us the average fan, it only matters to who signs the checks. 1 way/ 2 way has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to put someone in the minors. Whether or not they're subject to waivers is due to time played and not the actual contract itself. So if a player is on a 1 way contract for 600k they can still just as easily be stashed in the minors it's just that the team is going to pay their 600k salary but it doesnt count against the cap. The 2 way part only means that their salary that the team has to pay when they're in the minors is a smaller amount. So to us fans one way/two way just doesnt matter.

Just something that I see way way way too often and it irks me.
You are correct on the surface, but a player with a two-way contract has one for a reason. Obviously they are more likely to be sent down. They wanted to have that option.

Last edited by froods: 07-13-2011 at 08:10 AM.
froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
You are correct on the surface, but a player with a two-way contract has one for a reason. Obviously they are more likely to be sent down. They wanted to have that option.
We don't know what the breakdown of that 2 way version is, as not all 2ways are created equal. Some have drastically reduced amounts and others will still pay the guy 6 figures while sitting in the minors. But we're talking about the team's only heavyweight enforcer. Our GM believes in that model, there is nothing to indicate that he won't be sticking with the team. I think we can pretty much assume that regardless of whether it's a 1 or 2 way contract.

Old
07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
stefanh

This might mean we'll have 14 forwards in the NHL this season...

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:42 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

So, it's ok for people to discuss trading a defenseman if someone looks better or whatever, but with the forwards, there's no subtraction, just addition. Ok?

If someone gets pushed down to that 13th-14th spot and it's a veteran, chances are he's not going to stick around for too long, maybe a month or two before Shero finds a new home for him if he wants more playing time but can't seem to beat out that person that pushed him to that spot in the first place.

There are apparently some spots to earn, to me that seems like some veterans could get pushed out of a spot. Now I know that looks odd because Shero just signed some, but it's not like he was going to bank on some of the younger guys making the team for sure, you have to have some insurance there already.

Who has to clear waivers? I thought there was a period in which you could send down players without worrying about them clearing, kind of like that window for buyouts, which closes for a bit but opens again, etc. And no, I am not thinking about how they do it in EA Sports games.

I have heard enough about Jeffrey having to clear waivers, what about Tangradi and N.Johnson?

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:43 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
seems pretty likely

khaoskennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:45 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
So, it's ok for people to discuss trading a defenseman if someone looks better or whatever, but with the forwards, there's no subtraction, just addition. Ok?

If someone gets pushed down to that 13th-14th spot and it's a veteran, chances are he's not going to stick around for too long, maybe a month or two before Shero finds a new home for him if he wants more playing time but can't seem to beat out that person that pushed him to that spot in the first place.

There are apparently some spots to earn, to me that seems like some veterans could get pushed out of a spot. Now I know that looks odd because Shero just signed some, but it's not like he was going to bank on some of the younger guys making the team for sure, you have to have some insurance there already.

Who has to clear waivers? I thought there was a period in which you could send down players without worrying about them clearing, kind of like that window for buyouts, which closes for a bit but opens again, etc. And no, I am not thinking about how they do it in EA Sports games.

I have heard enough about Jeffrey having to clear waivers, what about Tangradi and N.Johnson?
tangradi is the only one who doesnt need to clear waivers

khaoskennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:02 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
12 one-way deals. Sid, Malkin, Staal, kunitz, Neal, Sully, Duper, Cooke, TK, Testy, Adams, Asham

Jeffrey is a two-way, but will not be sent down unless he struggles and they feel he will be safe in the waiver process. Right now he WILL be claimed (we could go with 13 when he is on IR/on 14 day conditioning assignment.

Stevie Mac-also a two-way, but will be in Pitt for sure IMO. He could get sent down from time to time In a long road trip situation where a d-man is banged up and we want to carry an 8th, or if ET or NJ make the team and when DJ get healthy they need time to make a trade. Another situation is making a trade a couple of days before the deadline. That two-way gives them the leverage to move him up and down for "administrative reasons", that's it. He was signed for Pittsburgh.

Old
07-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
12 one-way deals. Sid, Malkin, Staal, kunitz, Neal, Sully, Duper, Cooke, TK, Testy, Adams, Asham

Jeffrey is a two-way, but will not be sent down unless he struggles and they feel he will be safe in the waiver process. Right now he WILL be claimed (we could go with 13 when he is on IR/on 14 day conditioning assignment.

Stevie Mac-also a two-way, but will be in Pitt for sure IMO. He could get sent down from time to time In a long road trip situation where a d-man is banged up and we want to carry an 8th, or if ET or NJ make the team and when DJ get healthy they need time to make a trade. Another situation is making a trade a couple of days before the deadline. That two-way gives them the leverage to move him up and down for "administrative reasons", that's it. He was signed for Pittsburgh.
Pretty much. They probably hope they can send him dowm for maybe 1/4 of the season and save some cap space and money.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:

Exactly this. Shero carries 14 forwards. He left room for one or two of Tangradi, Jeffrey, and Johnson make the team.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Ky McDons

Steve MacIntyre teaches you how to fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsXA786gJSs

Ky McDons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky McDons View Post
Steve MacIntyre teaches you how to fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsXA786gJSs

This is a quality human. Clearly does not fall in the trash category. I like it.

I'll like it more when he pounds someone for their sins.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:33 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Also remember Shero likes to makes moves a few days before the deadline deadline. Having the ability to send Mac down will help dramatically in doing this.

Old
07-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Yep. I think this spring is going to be a fun deadline for us. We should have some space available and many decent players going UFA this summer so... we might finally get our final winger to compliment Kunitz and Neal (and eventually Tangradi / Bennett when they get here). And so begins our quest for world domination with Chancellor Gary at our side.

Aside from ****ers like Semin you've got more reasonable UFA options like:

Hemsky
Sharp (how awesome would that be?)
Umberger
Hudler (kidding)
Stempniak
Huselius

Possibly Doan or Penner as a rental... I think we'll get at least one very decent winger. Only question will be rental or not. Maybe even a RFA trade, though less likely:

Kulemin
Oshie
E. Kane
Chris Stewart

... it's a pretty good list of potentials.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:56 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
Yep. I think this spring is going to be a fun deadline for us. We should have some space available and many decent players going UFA this summer so... we might finally get our final winger to compliment Kunitz and Neal (and eventually Tangradi / Bennett when they get here). And so begins our quest for world domination with Chancellor Gary at our side.

Hemsky
Umberger
Hudler (kidding)
Stempniak
Huselius

Possibly Doan or Penner as a rental... I think we'll get at least one very decent winger. Only question will be rental or not. Maybe even an RFA:

Kulemin
Oshie
E. Kane
Chris Stewart

Next offseason will be very busy for Shero. Staal and Crosby will most likely get contract extensions. Then Neal will need to be re-signed, as well as Kunitz possibly. I could very well see Shero trying to stand pat as well and not bring in too many big name FA's again.

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Neal - Malkin - Tangradi
Cooke - Staal - Jeffrey

That could very well be our lineup for the 2012 season. Jeffrey is going to be on a 1 way contract then, Tangradi will be subject to waivers, and Neal and Kunitz will need re-signed which may force us to not be able to bring in anybody new.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:02 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post

Hemsky
Umberger
Hudler (kidding)
Stempniak
Huselius

Possibly Doan or Penner as a rental... I think we'll get at least one very decent winger. Only question will be rental or not. Maybe even a RFA trade, though less likely:

Kulemin
Oshie
E. Kane
Chris Stewart

If Shero keeps all this cap space we have now...you would assume that he's well aware of what is coming up this deadline. 1 million of salary equals something like 0.220 at the deadline. So 2 million in space would be something like 9 million dollars in cap salary.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 4792
Someone needs to Photoshop this to say MacIntyre and Engelland.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Well, that is where we disagree. He is not on the roster to be competition for anyone. Nor was Godard. He is on the roster to fill a role that Shero has been rather explicit about wanting filled, and we have no one else to do so.
I don't mean competition in the literal sense. Management knows that the young guys can be valuable. They need to prove that they can bring more to an NHL roster than an enforcer forward. It's not the tallest task, but it ensures that they're not going to just stroll onto the team either.

As I see it, they'd like MacIntyre to make the roster but aren't convinced of his ability to play, hence the two-way deal. With Engelland already on the team, I don't see any pressure to keep MacIntyre just to fill a role.

Quote:
However, I am talking about asset management and in that respect it is a problem if there is no room for our better home-made guys even at camp several years running (and yes, I know about Letestu last year, but does he get any kind of chance if Staal had been ready? I don't think so).
Even with MacIntyre, we will have room on our opening day roster for one of Vitale or Johnson. All it will take is one pre-season injury up front to have the space to keep both of them up front. Injuries have happened so often that Shero seems to plan for them, which is why I don't even see this as an asset management problem. It might be in theory, but in practice, roster spots are going to open up.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:18 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Next offseason will be very busy for Shero. Staal and Crosby will most likely get contract extensions. Then Neal will need to be re-signed, as well as Kunitz possibly. I could very well see Shero trying to stand pat as well and not bring in too many big name FA's again.

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Neal - Malkin - Tangradi
Cooke - Staal - Jeffrey

That could very well be our lineup for the 2012 season. Jeffrey is going to be on a 1 way contract then, Tangradi will be subject to waivers, and Neal and Kunitz will need re-signed which may force us to not be able to bring in anybody new.
If the deadline acquisition is a rental then I don't see why it'd interfere with resigning Neal, Staal, Kunitz and Crosby. But I do agree we should avoid taking on another large salary for next year since those contract extensions will be coming up.

I personally would like to see Doan here for a playoff run. But Phoenix would be very hesitant to get rid of their best player especially after Bryz left. They'd be looking for a legit 1st line center for the future. I doubt they make the playoffs this year.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Boocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Exactly!

Boocock... I dare you, I double dare you mutha****er, say two-way contract one more ******* time!
Two-way contract.

Best case scenario, he contributes to our Bottom 6 at the NHL level and we win the Stanley Cup. Worst scenario, he contributes to our Bottom 6 at the AHL level and we win the Calder Cup. Maybe guys like Keven Veilleux will learn a thing or two from him. Plus, at $600K, he'll fit in if we carry 14 forwards at the NHL level. If anything, having a proven NHL enforcer on the roster and knowing that's a hole on this team might help the afore mentioned Bottom 6 prospects on the squad, IE fellows such as 50 point Vitale or Nick Johnson, work that much harder.

And, he might look good in a Pens uniform. I mean, I'd love to see him punish Emo Timonen the way he punished Kris Letang in that video.

No matter what, signings such as MacIntyre, Picard, and Valabik will help to ensure that we have the best roster possible coming out of training camp.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Rakunitz23

I'd rather have godard. Before his injuries he was actually starting to skate well, and play well. He might not be a 10 min per game guy, but he def could have done 8 if he hadn't been injured. Oh well

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

Injuries had nothing to do with Godard being useless as an actual hockey player. He's garbage with fists on skates. If he sees more than four shifts a game, something isn't right.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote