HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Steve MacIntyre (1 yr | $600k | 2-way)

Old
07-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Human
cynic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Godard was/is a better fighter. What Mac has on him is that he's significantly bigger
Godard regressed these past two seasons.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

I don't really know or care who the better fighter is, however we can all agree that they're relatively close in that department. So to me, having a guy that the organization is familliar with and is an all around good team guy like Godard would have been ideal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he simply wanted to go elsewhere at this point in his career. I'm sure Dallas will give him a heck of a lot more games than we ever would. If I had to guess, that was probably the biggest reason we didn't sign Godard. The fact that he signed a deal in which his first year was two-way might put a wrench into that theory though, so who knows.

Anhways, knowing that we were going to get some kind of enforcer, it's hard to be upset about the guy they picked. He'll fight a lot and usually win, and maybe 'protect our stars' or whatever it is that people convince themselves tough guys do. Cool beans.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:56 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
Godard regressed these past two seasons.
He barely played the last 2 seasons, sure, but this past season was mostly due to an injury and Engelland being a guy that can actually play regular minutes and police out there. That is why Godard became expendable I think. But then they go and sign an enforcer anyway, a guy that's bigger, not as good and I think even slower and useless than Godard at taking a regular shift for the allotted 5mins he would play in a game.

He went from 21 fights in 2008-09 to 8 fights in 2009-10 to 7 fights in 2010-11. That is a pretty significant decline from 21 to 8.

But as a fighter, Godard was a beast. If Veilleux can fight as well as Engelland and take on heavy weight fighters and still continue to develop his offense, he might end up being one of the most valuable guys in WBS.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:02 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Steve played in more games and had the same amount of fights (7) this past season. Hardly an upgrade.

In 19 games, Godard fought 7 times, in 34 games, MacIntyre fought 7 times. He's 1 inch taller and heavier and a left handed shot, that's all Steve brings, Godard has the better fighting experience, is one of the top fighters in the league actually and they are the same age. Godard's injuries weren't even anything to worry about (groin, broken nose, some illness).

THAT is a career high for MacIntyre for fights in a season. Honestly, when you put them side by side, it seems stupid to let Godard go for a guy that also "barely" fights anymore. In Godard's case, it's likely because people just don't want to go with him because he's a legit and proven enforcer in the league, MacIntyre isn't, in 1 year, Godard fought more times than Steve has in his entire NHL career. I hope they keep him in the AHL and call him up when they need him. If he gets claimed, oh well.

I'd rather just see Engelland fight, he's not some 21yr old stud that has a bright future ahead of him, he's 29yrs old is what he is, he's probably not going to last that long in the league after waiting in the AHL for so long, that's the reality of it. So use him while they can, Engelland can play regular minutes and if someone "acts a fool," Engelland can handle his own and has against some guys that people consider to be heavy weights.

I hope MacIntyre, Picard and Valabik all start in the AHL. There are better players that the team can keep up and actually use, sure the ice time won't be the same, but that's all on what they do when they do get played (namely, Nick Johnson).

Old
07-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Mark it down, now that Jeffrey is going to be ready for camp, Vitale as 0 chance of making this team.

He can play RW too (seriously - pretty sure that's the spot he played when he was called up for a game or two last year). LW we're not so sure.

I think it depends more on Staal than Jeffrey, who can also play LW well, so not guaranteed to be C.
If Staal is plugged into Line 2 for any length of time I think Joe Platinum has a shot. Because he's Joe.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-14-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:58 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
I'm sorry, statistically it is quite the contrary. I guess that I just don't follow your logic. I thought that the goal of a fight was to beat the other guy up, which Mac does more. But...if you technically fight better while getting beat up more you are the better fighter. Correct?
hockeyfights.com =/= "statistically"

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:37 AM
McTowMater14

[QUOTE=JTG;35014031]hockeyfights.com

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Fig...aspx?P=6318&L= Big Mac
http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Fig...aspx?P=4967&L= Godard

McTowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
McTowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Steve played in more games and had the same amount of fights (7) this past season. Hardly an upgrade.

In 19 games, Godard fought 7 times, in 34 games, MacIntyre fought 7 times. He's 1 inch taller and heavier and a left handed shot, that's all Steve brings, Godard has the better fighting experience, is one of the top fighters in the league actually and they are the same age. Godard's injuries weren't even anything to worry about (groin, broken nose, some illness).

THAT is a career high for MacIntyre for fights in a season. Honestly, when you put them side by side, it seems stupid to let Godard go for a guy that also "barely" fights anymore. In Godard's case, it's likely because people just don't want to go with him because he's a legit and proven enforcer in the league, MacIntyre isn't, in 1 year, Godard fought more times than Steve has in his entire NHL career. I hope they keep him in the AHL and call him up when they need him. If he gets claimed, oh well.

I'd rather just see Engelland fight, he's not some 21yr old stud that has a bright future ahead of him, he's 29yrs old is what he is, he's probably not going to last that long in the league after waiting in the AHL for so long, that's the reality of it. So use him while they can, Engelland can play regular minutes and if someone "acts a fool," Engelland can handle his own and has against some guys that people consider to be heavy weights.

I hope MacIntyre, Picard and Valabik all start in the AHL. There are better players that the team can keep up and actually use, sure the ice time won't be the same, but that's all on what they do when they do get played (namely, Nick Johnson).
Not for lack of trying. Big Mac found few takers...
Think what you guys want, by the end of the year you will love the undisputed league heavyweight. He is a great locker room guy and he does a tonne for the community. The organization and players loved him, unfortunately he is just not a very good hockey player.

McTowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Shoofyou10

I like having a tough guy just in case. He doesnt have to dress very many games but for when something crazy breaks out like with the Isles last year it helps to have one. Good job Ray. I loved Godard as a fighter and a guy but he was just an enforcer and those can rotate.

What I like is that the Oiler fans who have posted in this thread have all said great things and said that we will love him. Thats always a good sign.

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:24 AM
JTG

[QUOTE=TowMater14;35015249] They are all subject to opinion. There's no legitimate statistic for wins or losses.

That was registered as a loss for Godard.

MacIntyre is an effective fighter because of how huge he is. He's probably one of the 10 biggest guys in the league. Because you're big doesn't make you a good fighter...it can make you an effective one, which MacIntyre is. Godard has been a top fighter in the league for a while, and not to mention, when he fought MacIntyre, he dropped him. A much smaller technical fighter and drop a much bigger average fighter. That was seen in the Godard-MacIntyre scrap

Old
07-14-2011, 12:58 PM
WVP

Don't see this guy dressing too often unless:

- Engelland isn't in the lineup and DB wants an enforcer that night
- rivalry game
- numerous injuries to our forwards

I'd say there's at least some chance that Engelland isn't in our top 6 when everyone's healthy, in the case MacIntyre could get more games.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:36 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz

Wasn't a dirty hit, but I like to see guys willing to step up like that. Put him on the ice with Crosby in those sorts of games. You know the ones I'm talking about.

PensPlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:39 PM
JTG

And that's all we need him to do

Old
07-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

You guys will love what Big Steve Smackintyre can bring soon enough. I wanted him on the Wings roster very badly but Holland for christs sake doesn't sign enforcers.

BigMac has a few takers in this league even Orr hesitated fighting him, cause the man is that scary. Think about it top fighters are afraid of that guy cause he is so scary and can punch like a stone wall.

I'd pet our house even Gillies will think twice about challenging BigMac.

hes easily the number 1 enforcer right now and other teams will be aware when hes on the ice. There will not be many - if any takers for him but the opponents will notice his presence.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:48 AM
SQUIRM

I'm amazed that even a fraction of Penguin fans are upset with this signing. It is so inconsequential that even the most defiant of anti-goon "hockey liberals" should be brushing it off their shoulder as nothing more than a depth signing.

Look, it's nothing against Nick Johnson.....he's a hard worker who could probably contribute on several NHL clubs right now, and might become a legitimate 3rd line player on a contender someday. But you look around the league and you see former Penguin properties like Ference, Kostoplous, Biz-Nasty, Thorburn, Konopka...etc; doing fairly well for themselves. But none of these guys would have made the difference between earning a playoff spot or not, let alone winning a Stanley Cup (although cheers to Ference for getting himself one).

If the Pens lose Nick Johnson on waivers......good for him!! That's what the waiver wire system is all about; so that players who can't seem to break into the lineup on one team can find their place on another. The Penguins made NHLers out of Francois Leroux, Robert Lang, the previously mentioned Chris Thorburn and Craig Adams thanks to the waiver wire. If the Pens send him down and he gets claimed by some bottom-dweller, I'm willing to bet his family and friends will be ecstatic for him. Meanwhile, the Pens will continue to win hockey games if not championships. It's just Nick Johnson for crying out loud!!! His 3 points in 4 games somehow reminds me of the short term production of Martin Sonnenberg and Toby Peterson during their brief stints in black and gold. But I digress......

MacIntyre is a guy that you can dress when you want, and you don't have to feel like he's wasting away in the press box as your 13th or even 14th (with a 23 man roster limit) forward. Guys like him are clearly part of Shero's agenda, and I don't feel like I'm in the minority when I say I've agreed with MOST of what Shero's done in his time as GM. I like his stance on team toughness. I also enjoy a good scrap. The doubters will say his presence is unnecessary.......but if he knocks out Jody Shelley or the recently signed Cam Janssen (NJ), you'll be going ape-**** on your feet the same as the rest of us.

After all, it's just a regular season game, right? When the playoffs start, he'll be practicing on line 6 with Kris Beech and Jeff Taffe anyway. Go Pens, and welcome to the Burgh BigMac!

Last edited by SQUIRM: 07-15-2011 at 02:17 AM.
SQUIRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:44 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

I like fighters that can take a regular shift, if any of the stuff I said was mistaken as me being against goons, that would be wrong. Maybe that post was about me, maybe it wasn't, I just wanted to clear that up.

I am completely fine with Engelland being the enforcer on the team. He's not useless when he isn't fighting, which Godard and MacIntyre were/are.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:54 AM
Milliardo

Quote:

They are all subject to opinion. There's no legitimate statistic for wins or losses.

MacIntyre is an effective fighter because of how huge he is. He's probably one of the 10 biggest guys in the league. Because you're big doesn't make you a good fighter...it can make you an effective one, which MacIntyre is. Godard has been a top fighter in the league for a while, and not to mention, when he fought MacIntyre, he dropped him. A much smaller technical fighter and drop a much bigger average fighter. That was seen in the Godard-MacIntyre scrap
Just out of curiosity, how is this not a loss for Godard? He got outpunched like 8:1.

That said, if we really need a guys like that (who can't play hockey), it might as well be Bic Mac. A tough SOB he is indeed.

Last edited by Milliardo: 07-15-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:40 AM
WVP

I am not a fighting connoisseur like some but I appreciate the fact that Shero repeatedly brings in the top guy (or arguably the top guy) in the league. Laraque, Godard, MacIntyre. All great people and locker room guys as well, from what I've heard of MacIntyre.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil View Post
He can't play hockey. But he knows his role. He IS a tough guy that's for sure. He's got a great personality and works hard on and off the ice.
Sounds like a good addition. Let's face it Godard only played 4 minutes a game when the team was healthy two years ago. So it was not like Godard was getting a regular shift. The Oilers fans have nothing but good things to say about him so I think most Pens fans will like him also. Sounds like one of the better fighters in the NHL so I think he will fill in for Godard's spot well.

I loved Godard and hardly ever saw him lose a fight but let's face it Engelland handled the fighting duties just as good and I can't remember anyone whooping him. From what I can remember Engelland won almost all of his fights. All MacIntyre will be used for is an extra gun going into certain games because Engelland can fight any heavyweight and only needs help when a team has several goons in the line-up.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
SomeDude

Quote:

It was an obvious loss for Godard. If you get your face beat in for a good 15 seconds, it doesn't matter if you get the take down. In fact, most of the time, the guy with the take down is the one who is losing. They throw the other guy down because they've had enough.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I like Mac's willingness to defend his teammates, but realistically, all he brings to the table is put the team shorthanded every time he hits the ice. There's absolutely no reason to dress him unless Engelland and Asham are hurt, or we are playing the Islanders or flyers.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I like Mac's willingness to defend his teammates, but realistically, all he brings to the table is put the team shorthanded every time he hits the ice. There's absolutely no reason to dress him unless Engelland and Asham are hurt, or we are playing the Islanders or flyers.
Agreed. And I don't expect him to even start the season in the NHL. But it's good to have a guy like him somewhere in the organizaiton.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 08:01 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Shero said he hasn't given him a spot yet and by the sounds of it won't unless he proves not to be a liability on the ice.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:14 PM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Shero said he hasn't given him a spot yet and by the sounds of it won't unless he proves not to be a liability on the ice.
Interesting. I'm concerned about Sullivan's durability and would really like to see a competent finisher signed for cheap *cough*kovy*cough*. Not going to happen though.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 07-16-2011 at 09:52 PM.
HuskerTornado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:34 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Yeah, I agree with this. Godard and MacIntyre are pretty even, they both have a similar mix of technical fighting and brawling. Both can switch hands.

Saying a guy is much better because of one fight is a stretch for sure, Chris Tamer TKO'd Bob Probert. Anyone want to push Tamer as the best fighter of the 90's?
Nobody said Godard is a much better fighter, so don't put words into my mouth. I said Godard is the better fighter.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote