HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin's shot.

Old
07-04-2011, 01:50 AM
Pr3Va1L

vCash: 500
Emelin's shot.

So, how good is Alexei Emelin's shot from the point ?

Looking at our roster for next season, he will pretty much have to be on one of the PP units.

It is said that he has a hard shot, but is it accurate ? Can he get the shot to the net through traffic ?

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:06 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

11 goals suggests it's something he really added to his game last year.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:19 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

It would be awesome if its good since he's a left shot.

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Weber

Scary PP D pairings

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 07-04-2011 at 06:55 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:30 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

He's always had a pretty solid shot - but I read in another thread somewhere on here that he was going to be an amazing two-way defenseman. I don't see it.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
It would be awesome if its good since he's a left shot.

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Weber

Scary PP D pairings
What?

You say that's it's good that he's a left, and then you place two RH shots and two LH shots together?

You completely lost me there.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
What?

You say that's it's good that he's a left, and then you place two RH shots and two LH shots together?

You completely lost me there.
That just means Emelin and Subban are facing the middle of the ice and will be the shooters...Nothing wrong with that...Markov needs a left shot paired with him.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:20 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Mess View Post
That just means Emelin and Subban are facing the middle of the ice and will be the shooters...Nothing wrong with that...Markov needs a left shot paired with him.
Yup. Historically Markov has done great paired with left handed shooters on the PP so they could one-time all these wonderful passes (lets reminisce about Schneider, Bergeron, Streit, Souray...).

Subban and Markov together on the first wave might not be as effective, since Markov's exceptional passing and vision wouldn't be used fully ; to have Subban one-time his passes they would have to be on their off-wings with Markov passing from the back hand.

It is true of course that at even strenght or shorthanded its better to have a LD and RD, I'm talking strictly about the PP here.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:49 AM
hogtownhabsfan

Emelin's shot.

My goodness, is he ok?

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:56 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Yup. Historically Markov has done great paired with left handed shooters on the PP so they could one-time all these wonderful passes (lets reminisce about Schneider, Bergeron, Streit, Souray...).

Subban and Markov together on the first wave might not be as effective, since Markov's exceptional passing and vision wouldn't be used fully ; to have Subban one-time his passes they would have to be on their off-wings with Markov passing from the back hand.

It is true of course that at even strenght or shorthanded its better to have a LD and RD, I'm talking strictly about the PP here.
As I posted before, I have some doubts regarding habs PP next season. Not because of lack of talent but mainly because PK won't be able to unload his bombs from the left side. Why ? Because Markov is unable to play omn the right side during PP. He has made numerous turnovers in the past while trying in that position.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:01 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
You can get a good look at it in this handy video Watsatheo put together:

It doesn't look like a Wiz/Subban cannon for sure, but it's low and hard. He also seems to like moving in and pumping a wrister instead. There's some really great cross-ice feeds in that video that kind of remind me of Markov, not to mention some surprising rushes. A pretty tantalizing skill set no matter what.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:09 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

It doesn't look like a Wiz/Subban cannon for sure, but it's low and hard. He also seems to like moving in and pumping a wrister instead. There's some really great cross-ice feeds in that video that kind of remind me of Markov, not to mention some surprising rushes. A pretty tantalizing skill set no matter what.
He's got a good wrister and he seems quite fast.

Old
07-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Habs 1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
My goodness, is he ok?
Amazing.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:12 AM
bsl

Quote:
My goodness, is he ok?
Hee hee.That was a pretty good one hog.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:24 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
As I posted before, I have some doubts regarding habs PP next season. Not because of lack of talent but mainly because PK won't be able to unload his bombs from the left side. Why ? Because Markov is unable to play on the right side during PP. He has made numerous turnovers in the past while trying in that position.
I think that's simply not true, the reason Markov got put on the right on the PP that year was because they wanted to use Tangauy as the set up man on the left side, so Markov basically had no options with the put once getting. I actually think our PP is going to be one of the best. Just think Markov is going to have two options for one timers on the PP, Subban on the left side, and Cammy on the half-way on the right side.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
My goodness, is he ok?
You made me chuckle

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

He has a quick release, I like that.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:12 AM
RNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I think that's simply not true, the reason Markov got put on the right on the PP that year was because they wanted to use Tangauy as the set up man on the left side, so Markov basically had no options with the put once getting. I actually think our PP is going to be one of the best. Just think Markov is going to have two options for one timers on the PP, Subban on the left side, and Cammy on the half-way on the right side.
Yeah, our PP isn't really LD and RD, its more C in front of the net, LW also down low, RW high-right for one-timer, LD high-left for one-timer, RD in middle at blue line.

At least, thats how a Subban-lead PP looks. Subban-Markov can still work very well on the PP... which leaves Emelin with Weber. Which is fine with me. Watching that video, Emelin seems to like to make nifty passes almost as much as he shoots. Very Markov-esque. I think Markov-Emelin might be a case of similarly overlapping skillsets, which might not work all that well together (though Markov is able to adapt to pretty much anything).

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:27 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
Yeah, our PP isn't really LD and RD, its more C in front of the net, LW also down low, RW high-right for one-timer, LD high-left for one-timer, RD in middle at blue line.

At least, thats how a Subban-lead PP looks. Subban-Markov can still work very well on the PP... which leaves Emelin with Weber. Which is fine with me. Watching that video, Emelin seems to like to make nifty passes almost as much as he shoots. Very Markov-esque. I think Markov-Emelin might be a case of similarly overlapping skillsets, which might not work all that well together (though Markov is able to adapt to pretty much anything).
Yemelin is way more physical and nasty than Markov.

Markov is more a Lidstrom type of player.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:46 AM
RNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Yemelin is way more physical and nasty than Markov.

Markov is more a Lidstrom type of player.
I'm only talking about offensive choices/preferences on the PP. Emelin likes to look for cross-ice passes and to slip in down low behind the D occasionally. Which is far more like Markov then 'gimme the damn puck so i can one-time a sick-azz shot' Subban.

In other aspects of their game they are decidedly different. Vastly so.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

What really impresses me is his decision making and vision. If he can translate that onto NA ground by adapting to the size/speed/style, then I think we'll have a better Dman than most people think.

I really hope it works out well with this one.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:23 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
i just watched that video yesterday haha he looks very good im very excited for next season!!

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

As I said before, the Bruins are going to have a 3-D hate for him (the D stands for dimensional, by the way). He'll bang them, he'll skate into their end, and he'll score goals and assists. The only concern JM might have about him is penalties but if he flattens a few opponents it'll be worth it. If Komisarek was tolerable, (Y)Emelin will be more so because he's a better player.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
He has a quick release, I like that.
Innuendo

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 152
Put him in front of the net on the PP, even Timothy won't be able to bodycheck him. BigBuff v.2.0

Honestly, yeah he does seem to have a nice wristshot and his shot is probably hard with his size. I don't think he'll see a lot of PP time though, but JM would probably want to experiment him on the point. Nothing to lose, he can't be worst than some d-men we put there...

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 12:10 AM
SAKS AVENUE

Everything, including his shot is a little head scratching for me......... What I mean is.....his offensive numbers are not that big of a deal.....he is supposed to be tough , but the only fight he has on you tube he gets knocked out. Not sure what to expect.

I'm hoping he is as great as everyone here makes him out to be, but I'm also thinking everyone here would flip and talk about how he's not that great if we suddenly traded him.

On a side note....that Svitov guy that punched Emelin out. What's his story and how did he play 30 games for the Bulldogs a few years back? How is he linked to the habs or maybe Edmonton I'm thinking.......

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote