HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Myers for Stamkos would you?

Old
07-13-2011, 04:26 PM
captaincrunch89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I totally didn't... i was quick to jump, as usual
my bad
Hahahaha forget about it, everyone has done it at least once, I try to save my wrath for Seanlinden

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
funkymag77

I don't know about you guys but I don't see much Tampa Bay games. Those I have seen he hasn't blown me out of the water. He's got an excellent shot, probably one of the best in the league. But is he a great defensive talent? Does he set other guys up as well as he gets setup? Can he use his body and win battles along the boards? And yes I realize that there is maybe two players in the league that truly do it all (Crosby and Datsyuk imo).

He's a great offensive player on one of the most talented lines in the league but I don't think he has much more potential than where he's at now. If anything his stock is going to drop. Buy low, sell high. Don't undervalue Myers because the beginning of his year was poor.

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Yeah how many goals did he score the last 30 games? 5?!?

Crosby>>>Stamkos
How many did Crosby score in the last 30 regular season games?

Stamkos played a large portion of the 2nd half of the season with an undisclosed shoulder injury... and then re-injured it in the 1st round series with the Pens.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymag77 View Post
I don't know about you guys but I don't see much Tampa Bay games. Those I have seen he hasn't blown me out of the water. He's got an excellent shot, probably one of the best in the league.But is he a great defensive talent?
at 21 yrs old? No... but not for a lack of effort or commitment, so that part of his game will come with time.

Quote:
Does he set other guys up as well as he gets setup?
Yes, he's a great playmaker.

Quote:
Can he use his body and win battles along the boards?
Yes, he's board work is quite good. His speed on the forecheck and strength on the boards are not flaws in his game.

Quote:
And yes I realize that there is maybe two players in the league that truly do it all (Crosby and Datsyuk imo).
So your criteria for saying he was "not dynamic" was that he didn't live up to the 2 players who you personally think "do it all"...

Quote:
He's a great offensive player on one of the most talented lines in the league but I don't think he has much more potential than where he's at now. If anything his stock is going to drop. Buy low, sell high. Don't undervalue Myers because the beginning of his year was poor.
So at 21 years old, when already hyped as the best player since Crosby even before he was drafted, and in his first 3 years having lived up to and surpassed the hype... now, his stock is going to drop.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-15-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:40 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I'll take a stud franchise defenseman over a single elite goal scorer every day of the week.
So assuming they played in the same era, you'd rather have Myers than a Gretzky or a Lemieux, or even Crosby now?

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
So assuming they played in the same era, you'd rather have Myers than a Gretzky or a Lemieux, or even Crosby now?
That's really a silly question. The game is much different today then it was then.

Back then, I'd have taken offense. Now, I feel that the game is more slanted towards defense, so I'd take the big defenseman.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
I'll raise you that question. Bobby Orr or Gretzky?

No one can tell what these players will amount to. Comparing Stamkos to Gretzky, Messier and Crosby is a terrible comparison. Nick Lidstrom was just as important in those cup wins as Yzerman.

You don't know how Myers will play in Tampa or how Stamkos will play here.... I'd bet he doesn't hit a 50 goal season in Buffalo.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Digable5

There is no doubt in my mind that a long term deal with Stamkos would have to be in place before you make any move to acquire him. People mention Myers' ELC as a reason not to trade him. You do know that expires in 1 year right? That advantage is good for a very little time.

St. Louis for sure is an amazing player that helps Stamkos maximize his play but I think St. Louis benefits from playing with Stamkos almost as much. Has St. Louis ever had a season without one of Lecavalier, Richards or Stamkos? Instead of looking at how good Stamkos would be without St. Louis, how about how good Vanek/Ennis/Stafford(etc...) would be with Stamkos.

Certainly we would have to deal more to get back under the cap, if it was only Myers for Stamkos, but moving those contracts woul gain us additional pieces as well.

Nobody that we currently have in the system is going to replace Myers, especially as a RHD, but we are loaded with D options and are set in goal. Our centers being Stamkos-Roy-Leino-Gaustad would be set and wings are plenty available both currently on the roster and throughout the NHL.

Gutting the team to add one player is difficult to consider but may be the best option. Giving up one potentially great player for a proven elite player of the same age and at a position of great need for the Sabres just seems like a no brainer to me. Just as many think Myers can get better, why can't Stamkos still get better?

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:08 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

"I'm willing to give up a 40 goal scorer and a potential franchise defensemen for your 22 year old superstar center... but if you ask for 2 prospects as well.... NO DEAL!"

That's not ridiculous at all. If I'm going to throw in two excellent roster players, I'm going to have to make sure that I have the depth to fill in. The goal would be to get better now and in the future. Vanek plus Myers would make me think. If I need to add to prospects I hang up the phone.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

I love, love, love Myers. This kid is going to be something special for a long, long time. But straight up for Stamkos? In a heart beat. Stamkos is one of the top 3 forwards in the league. You'd be insane not to do that.

It's like asking if concussion aside LA would trade Doughty (ahead of Myers at this point) for Crosby (ahead of Stamkos)? Um, yes, yes they would.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:10 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
That's really a silly question. The game is much different today then it was then.

Back then, I'd have taken offense. Now, I feel that the game is more slanted towards defense, so I'd take the big defenseman.

I don't know if I agree to that. Here's the Cup winners for the past 10 years and their rank in the league for Goals Scored during the regular season:

2001 Colorado Avalanche (4)
2002 Detroit Red Wings (2)
2003 NJ Devils (14)
2004 TB Lightning (3)
2006 Carolina Hurricanes (3)
2007 Anaheim Ducks (8)
2008 Detroit Red Wings (3)
2009 Pittsburgh Penguins (6)
2010 Chicago Blackhawks (3)
2011 Boston Bruins (5)

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:15 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Nope, I'd want Myers over Stamkos....Like previous poster stated he is going to be something special....Think Chara but with way more skating and scoring ability hopefully....He's a rare breed....

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Rowley Birkin

I know its simply fantasy talk, but I can't believe how people over rate Myers (or under rate Stamkos).

Stamkos for Vanek, Myers, Adam or whatever prospect they wanted, 1st round pick... and its still a no brainer.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:16 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Nope

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:18 PM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
yes i would trade myers straight up for stamkos...especially with ehrhoff, regehr, and weber locked up. what we would lack in defense...we'd more than make up in offense. i don't think anyone could deny that.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Megaera

Absolutely.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:25 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Yes, absolutely, positively, 100% yes.

Scoring from the defense is nice, but with a #1 like Stamkos, we could fill in with another stay-at-home type (usually more of them available for a better price), and still end up with a net gain in goals for vs goals against.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:28 PM
thomas vanek

Not a chance.

Shouldn't this be a poll?

thomas vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
joshjull

I hate to bring a tad bit of reality to this but why would Tampa target Myers? Or Vanek?

They're going to need a center coming back as part of a package. A NHL center not Luke Adam.

Not to mention why is Tampa going to do us a favor by taking Vanek's contract off our hands so we can sign Stamkos. Further ****ing up their cap suation.

Then next summer they can have the headache of trying to re-sign Myers and Hedman.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

As others have said, I'm stunned so many people would take myers over stamkos. Absolute no brainer to take stamkos here.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Just read through the thread... gotta say I'm surprised how many folks wouldn't pull the trigger on that. Myers straight up for Stamkos strikes me as thievery.
Homerism is the only explanation I can think of.

I have to think a poll of non-Buffalo, non-Tampa fans would probably be 80%+ for Buffalo to do the deal. If Regier was able to pull off something like Myers + for Stamkos, with the + being something inconsequential like a pick or prospect... I might have to name my first born after him.

Seriously, that's an absolute steal for Buffalo.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I hate to bring a tad bit of reality to this but why would Tampa target Myers? Or Vanek?

They're going to need a center coming back as part of a package. A NHL center not Luke Adam.

Not to mention why is Tampa going to do us a favor by taking Vanek's contract off our hands so we can sign Stamkos. Further ****ing up their cap suation.

Then next summer they can have the headache of trying to re-sign Myers and Hedman.
I guess it would seem to me that if they jettison Stamkos they'd be better off doing a quicker rebuild. Their goaltender is over 40, throw them Enroth. Vanek is the replacement for St. Louis once he retires. Adam is going based on center need. TB's back in the top 4 after 1-2 years. I'd say that's a decent start to a package, but then again what do I know.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I'll raise you that question. Bobby Orr or Gretzky?
Not really fair to Orr here. Knee injuries derailed Orr's career and was forced to retire early.

Instead, how about Ray Bourque or Wayne Gretzky? I'd take Bourque.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:08 PM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

I love Myers (just look @ my name), but I would probably do this. With the logjam we have on defense currently, I think we would still be great on defense and upgrade in the area we need the most help.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Would I? Oh hell yes.

Would Tampa? Oh hell no.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote