HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Huselius injured - to miss 4-6 months

Old
07-14-2011, 08:57 PM
ernmorris

vCash: 500
Is there any chance that Howson would try to bring in Selanne for a season? Is there any chance that he would have any interest in playing for the CBJ even if Howson did reach out?

ernmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmorris View Post
Is there any chance that Howson would try to bring in Selanne for a season? Is there any chance that he would have any interest in playing for the CBJ even if Howson did reach out?
I don't see it. He would cost us too much money and I'm pretty sure its Anaheim or retirement if he plays again this season. He had a great season last year and proved he can still play in the league if he wants to.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:39 PM
knucklepuck28

Love how everyone is so anti Z but all about Wolski.

knucklepuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:53 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Why is that so hard to understand, Z quit on us,

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklepuck28 View Post
Love how everyone is so anti Z but all about Wolski.
& Wolski scores in the shoot out, ha ha. No way that the Blue Jackets spend another 4 MM this year, just sayin

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
I know there's no viable trade and I wouldn't want to get rid of him anyways, if it was my choice Oilers would re-sign him long term but could you imagine

Nash-Carter-Hemsky

that would be DISGUSTING. Carter and Nash are pretty much the exact line mates Hemsky needs, a shoot first right handed center and a big power forward.

God damn that would be fun to watch.
It would be disgustingly awesome, yes. Sadly, Hemsky's injury history makes us twitch and Edmonton would have to be nuts to trade Hemsky for an underpayment.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:22 PM
TSA0402

Maybe I'm nitpicking but chemistry is everything, they said the same thing about Heatley/Thornton. Some experts predicted Heatley would turn into a 70 goal man. Now, he might get 70 goals in the next three years.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:30 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

The only thing we can offer Edmonton is

picks/ prospects, a 2nd that becomes a first if he plays over 70 games. Not good trading partners eh? Edmonton already has a pretty full cupboard of prospects they don't need our picks, they need a healthy Ales Hemsky

Nash Carter Hemsky... drools

Old
07-14-2011, 10:33 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I'm betting he rejuvinates his career in Minny..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Maybe I'm nitpicking but chemistry is everything, they said the same thing about Heatley/Thornton. Some experts predicted Heatley would turn into a 70 goal man. Now, he might get 70 goals in the next three years.
I'd take the over on 70 in 3 years.. not so many big ego's on that Minny team either, I'd bet that he fits in well

Old
07-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
I'd take the over on 70 in 3 years.. not so many big ego's on that Minny team either, I'd bet that he fits in well
Agree... if talking Jackets I'd take Heatley in a heartbeat. The dude has a record of 1 point a game over his entire NHL career, why would that change? He will excel in Minnesota.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:49 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
That was an exaggeration but a 7.5 sniper who can't crack 30 goals is a bit disturbing. Who on San Jose now has such a big ego apart from the departed Heatley? Couture and a couple goons, maybe....

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:52 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
picks/ prospects, a 2nd that becomes a first if he plays over 70 games. Not good trading partners eh? Edmonton already has a pretty full cupboard of prospects they don't need our picks, they need a healthy Ales Hemsky

Nash Carter Hemsky... drools
Let me put this another way.

Some Edmonton fan:

Columbus must have Hemsky. Without him they will be 15th in the West.

Columbus fan:

That's ok, we have other plans. Hemsky is a really good player, but not a priority for the Blue Jackets.

Edmonton fan:

If you think you're going to steal Hemsky from us, you're crazy. If you want Hemsky, you will send your very best prospect, Ryan Johansen in a trade. In fact you need Hemsky so badly, you should add to the trade.

Columbus fan:

But I don't want Hemsky, we have other priorities. We can't afford to send Johansen, especially for a player we don't need badly.

Edmonton fan:

You people are just lowballing us. Tambellini won't even trade Hemsky no matter how much you beg.

Columbus fan:

Fine- keep him! I'll go see who's available as a free agent. You know I figure Vinny Prospal could work for a year while the Jackets develop prospects. I wonder how much Corey Stillman might cost? How about Svatos? You know, I always thought Jason Williams was effective. He really helped the Jackets reach the playoffs two years ago. You know what else? Larry Brooks is reporting the Rangers are going to buy out Wojtek Wolksi. I wonder about him?

Edmonton fan:

Tell you what, we'll send Hemsky for Johansen and your 1st pick in 2012. Don't even ask for him for less. Deal? I think you're ripping us off.

Columbus fan:

I have a migraine...

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Hemsky is attractive as a 60 game plug, because that's about all the games he's good for anyway.

I don't want him if Howson wants Hemsky long term, though. Gag.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:04 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I think were on the same page with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post

Edmonton fan:

Tell you what, we'll send Hemsky for Johansen and your 1st pick in 2012. Don't even ask for him for less. Deal? I think you're ripping us off.

Columbus fan:

I have a migraine...
Looking forward to seeing Nash, Brassard, Moore and Johansen all on the big club, considering the other 1st round picks have scattered in the wind

Old
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You guys are forgetting Cam Atkinson. When he makes the team I hope they let him have his favorite number 13 instead of 38
I love it when people state things with such certainty. I remember someone putting Upshall in the top six earlier in the summer saying positively in capital letters that he'll resign.

If Atkinson makes the team I'll eat crow, but I highly doubt he will. I think it's funny that Portzline writes about a player and suddenly everyone jumps on the bandwagon, when no one even considered him before.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Hemsky is attractive as a 60 game plug, because that's about all the games he's good for anyway.

I don't want him if Howson wants Hemsky long term, though. Gag.
Hemsky is a Jacket killer and his age is perfect; but come on, this is Columbus, no way can they afford him.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:

Some Edmonton fan:

Columbus fan:

That's ok, we have other plans. Hemsky is a really good player, but not a priority for the Blue Jackets.

Edmonton fan:

If you think you're going to steal Hemsky from us, you're crazy. If you want Hemsky, you will send your very best prospect, Ryan Johansen in a trade. In fact you need Hemsky so badly, you should add to the trade.

Columbus fan:

But I don't want Hemsky, we have other priorities. We can't afford to send Johansen, especially for a player we don't need badly.

Edmonton fan:

You people are just lowballing us. Tambellini won't even trade Hemsky no matter how much you beg.

Columbus fan:

Fine- keep him! I'll go see who's available as a free agent. You know I figure Vinny Prospal could work for a year while the Jackets develop prospects. I wonder how much Corey Stillman might cost? How about Svatos? You know, I always thought Jason Williams was effective. He really helped the Jackets reach the playoffs two years ago. You know what else? Larry Brooks is reporting the Rangers are going to buy out Wojtek Wolksi. I wonder about him?

Edmonton fan:

Columbus fan:

I have a migraine...

I think this very accurately describes the situation.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:13 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Hemsky is a Jacket killer and his age is perfect; but come on, this is Columbus, no way can they afford him.
He could still be a Jacket killer by coming here, costing us an arm and a leg to do it, then playing like **** or being injured when needed. Anything is possible!

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:54 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

If I'm Howson (and I might be), I'm looking to REPLACE HUSELIUS with a real winger, not an aging castoff or youngster.

The Reasoning:

1. Juice now has TWO injuries he has to recover from. Odds aren't in his favor.

2. Juice is UFA next year and we probably wouldn't re-sign him. Juice was never the player we needed him to be, and we overpaid for him to begin with.

3. We need the help THIS year, and thus cannot hope one of our young guys will suddenly be that replacement.

Question: Can you trade a guy who is on your DL? What's the workaround on that?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
If I'm Howson (and I might be), I'm looking to REPLACE HUSELIUS with a real winger, not an aging castoff or youngster.

The Reasoning:

1. Juice now has TWO injuries he has to recover from. Odds aren't in his favor.

2. Juice is UFA next year and we probably wouldn't re-sign him. Juice was never the player we needed him to be, and we overpaid for him to begin with.

3. We need the help THIS year, and thus cannot hope one of our young guys will suddenly be that replacement.

If you're thinking to somehow trade Huselius and accomplish what you're suggesting, I fail to see how it could happen - which is not to say I oppose your line of thinking - hey, if you can trade Juice for a younger, better player signed to a long-term, budget-friendly deal, by all means.

Better to wait and see what next year's UFA class brings once Juice is off the books.

Old
07-15-2011, 08:14 AM
5StringBuzz

My confidence in a meaningful move to address the Juice gap was not elevated by GMSH's comments in today's Dispatch. I'd be surprised if we'd get any of the players we've been speculating about for the 1-yr, $2MM deal the 'Patch says GMSH is going to be offering*.

I agree with JACKETFan's perspective that Juice won't be effective coming off of two injuries and won't be resigned after this year. It seems to me we'll need a long-term top-six winger to replace Juice, yet the statement, "Howson said he's not looking for a direct replacement for Huselius, a playmaking winger" pretty clearly indicates that they're not going after Juice v2.0 (come to think of it, it's kind of funny how that statement directly contradicts the title of the article). Furthermore, they're suggesting that the gap could be filled from within (uh, really?).

Still expecting an under-the-radar signing/reclamation project or assigning someone we already have above their capability and hoping it all works. I would be surprised to see the likes of Prospal, Stillman, et. al. coming to the CBJ this summer.

*Huge assumption that the Dispatch knows what they're talking about, but given that the team's salary looks like $58MM already, I'd be surprised to see them offer more than $2MM, so at least the $$ in the article sound realistic.

Old
07-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Vinny Prospal's salary last season was a 1,080,000 with 1.4 in bonuses.

I think he fits in our range, especially after coming off the knee injury he had last season.

Stillman made 3.5 last season on his last contract. Considering he hasn't signed anywhere yet and is 37, I'd think he'll definitely come in lower than 2 mill a year as well.

I think that is really where the market is right now. If anyone was really worth more than that money wise, they would have been signed by now.

Last edited by Iron Balls McGinty: 07-15-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: corrected knew to knee
Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Vinny Prospal's salary last season was a 1,080,000 with 1.4 in bonuses.

I think he fits in our range, especially after coming off the knew injury he had last season.

Stillman made 3.5 last season on his last contract. Considering he hasn't signed anywhere yet and is 37, I'd think he'll definitely come in lower than 2 mill a year as well.

I think that is really where the market is right now. If anyone was really worth more than that money wise, they would have been signed by now.
Good points on the previous salaries, which I didn't check.

Old
07-15-2011, 09:34 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Sure can. Scotty's done it, too.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=615606

edit- Wasn't GMSH looking for a 3rd/4th line winger at some point this summer, anyway? Anybody think he'll adjust that thinking to a guy who can be a Top 6 winger that can slot down to the bottom 6 when Juice gets back?

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 07-15-2011 at 09:41 AM.
CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:02 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringBuzz View Post
My confidence in a meaningful move to address the Juice gap was not elevated by GMSH's comments in today's Dispatch. I'd be surprised if we'd get any of the players we've been speculating about for the 1-yr, $2MM deal the 'Patch says GMSH is going to be offering*.

I agree with JACKETFan's perspective that Juice won't be effective coming off of two injuries and won't be resigned after this year. It seems to me we'll need a long-term top-six winger to replace Juice, yet the statement, "Howson said he's not looking for a direct replacement for Huselius, a playmaking winger" pretty clearly indicates that they're not going after Juice v2.0 (come to think of it, it's kind of funny how that statement directly contradicts the title of the article). Furthermore, they're suggesting that the gap could be filled from within (uh, really?).

Still expecting an under-the-radar signing/reclamation project or assigning someone we already have above their capability and hoping it all works. I would be surprised to see the likes of Prospal, Stillman, et. al. coming to the CBJ this summer.

*Huge assumption that the Dispatch knows what they're talking about, but given that the team's salary looks like $58MM already, I'd be surprised to see them offer more than $2MM, so at least the $$ in the article sound realistic.
Not sure why money should be a big issue here.

Juice will likely go on LTIR, so from a cap perspective, we'll have most of his cap hit to play with. From a budget perspective, if they had insurance on Juice, they also shouldn't care.

I will be intersted to see late in the season how this will effect Howson's ability to make moves. If there are budget concerns, Juice's return could limit our deadline maneuvers.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Some Edmonton fan:

Columbus fan:

Edmonton fan:

Columbus fan:

Edmonton fan:

Columbus fan:

Edmonton fan:

Columbus fan:

I have a migraine...
I think Oiler fans have serious delusions on this guy's value. He's an injury-prone rental. If Howson really wants him, he'll get him at the deadline for EITHER a pick or a prospect. And the prospect will not be named Ryan Johansen.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote