HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Huselius injured - to miss 4-6 months

Old
07-15-2011, 12:31 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Not sure why money should be a big issue here.

Juice will likely go on LTIR, so from a cap perspective, we'll have most of his cap hit to play with. From a budget perspective, if they had insurance on Juice, they also shouldn't care.

I will be intersted to see late in the season how this will effect Howson's ability to make moves. If there are budget concerns, Juice's return could limit our deadline maneuvers.
Assuming they have insurance, if Howson is looking for maximum flexibility, the doctors may not clear him to play until March or April.

TaketheCannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:46 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
I think Oiler fans have serious delusions on this guy's value. He's an injury-prone rental. If Howson really wants him, he'll get him at the deadline for EITHER a pick or a prospect. And the prospect will not be named Ryan Johansen.
They are taking their cue from a sports talk guy on Team 1260 in Edmonton, Bob Stauffer. He has had two major causes on air for the past year: Drafting Nugent-Hopkins and acquiring Johansen. He had PORTZLINE on air yesterday and Stauffer was almost trying to negotiate a trade with Porty on air. Stauffer said the Jackets must have a wing, preferably Hemsky and the Oilers only have interest in Johansen. Porty told him Howson has made that a deal breaker. Stauffer countered that the Oilers could add a late pick or a low level prospect. Porty said he don't think Howson would do that. Stauffer then countered with suggesting Omark instead of Hemsky for Johansen. He claimed Howson must trade Johansen to save his job. Porty then told him he thought the moves made this summer bolstered Howson's position and that unless the bottom fell out of the team again, Howson would be ok.

Stauffer dropped it and moved on to praising the Dekanich signing. Unfortunately, he thought his name was something else, like maybe Dekanski or Dekanchuk or something like that.

Stauffer is the main Oilers radio talk guy, much like Kypreos/MacLean or Dennis Beyak with the Leafs. He has a major crush on Johansen and is insisting on-air that Howson has to give him to the Oilers.

TaketheCannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Not sure why money should be a big issue here.

Juice will likely go on LTIR, so from a cap perspective, we'll have most of his cap hit to play with. From a budget perspective, if they had insurance on Juice, they also shouldn't care.

I will be intersted to see late in the season how this will effect Howson's ability to make moves. If there are budget concerns, Juice's return could limit our deadline maneuvers.
I think money should be a big concern.

As Understand it, counting Huselius, we would be about 5.5-6 mil under the cap give or take bonuses. While his 4.75 will go off for LTIR, we would add 2 mill for a replacement.

When he returns to the lineup, that would put us only approximately 3-4 mil below the salary cap. In my mind, that is very little space to make any sort of significant move at the trade deadline to help in a playoff push. If we did make a move, it could potentially handicap any sort of off season spending for next year unless that person is a UFA we let walk at the end of the year.

Next season we would be getting Huselius and Pahlsson off the books but we need to resign Umberger and potentially Tyutin and/ or Martinek for the blueline.

I think that's why its pretty important that we get someone who can contribute on a 1 year deal for no more than 2 mil

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
If I'm Howson (and I might be), I'm looking to REPLACE HUSELIUS with a real winger, not an aging castoff or youngster.

The Reasoning:

1. Juice now has TWO injuries he has to recover from. Odds aren't in his favor.

2. Juice is UFA next year and we probably wouldn't re-sign him. Juice was never the player we needed him to be, and we overpaid for him to begin with.

3. We need the help THIS year, and thus cannot hope one of our young guys will suddenly be that replacement.

Question: Can you trade a guy who is on your DL? What's the workaround on that?
I'd be looking for a one-year replacement only, for all the same reasons, plus #4: Next year, one of the young guys is likely to be ready.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
They are taking their cue from a sports talk guy on Team 1260 in Edmonton, Bob Stauffer. He has had two major causes on air for the past year: Drafting Nugent-Hopkins and acquiring Johansen. He had PORTZLINE on air yesterday and Stauffer was almost trying to negotiate a trade with Porty on air. Stauffer said the Jackets must have a wing, preferably Hemsky and the Oilers only have interest in Johansen. Porty told him Howson has made that a deal breaker. Stauffer countered that the Oilers could add a late pick or a low level prospect. Porty said he don't think Howson would do that. Stauffer then countered with suggesting Omark instead of Hemsky for Johansen. He claimed Howson must trade Johansen to save his job. Porty then told him he thought the moves made this summer bolstered Howson's position and that unless the bottom fell out of the team again, Howson would be ok.

Stauffer dropped it and moved on to praising the Dekanich signing. Unfortunately, he thought his name was something else, like maybe Dekanski or Dekanchuk or something like that.

Stauffer is the main Oilers radio talk guy, much like Kypreos/MacLean or Dennis Beyak with the Leafs. He has a major crush on Johansen and is insisting on-air that Howson has to give him to the Oilers.
What, Portzline didn't mention the Eberle requirement?

****ing worthless Dispatch beat writers.

Old
07-15-2011, 01:59 PM
TSA0402

There is a reason everybody wants Johansen. Right now I'd argue he is the best prospect in the world.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:01 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
I think Oiler fans have serious delusions on this guy's value. He's an injury-prone rental. If Howson really wants him, he'll get him at the deadline for EITHER a pick or a prospect. And the prospect will not be named Ryan Johansen.
Hemsky does not have good character (plus he is injury prone). I do not want him NEVER!!!!! The ideal would be a right wing maybe Prospal he can play there. Not Samsonov or Stillman they are left wings and Samsonov... hm... I do not know I do not believe him.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:05 PM
hfboardsuser

Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagner for Johansen? You're getting two-thirds of Edmonton's top line, one of which is a U25 center so you're not robbing Peter to pay Paul. Johansen is a very good prospect, but being offered two NHL players capable of 50+ points (and one of them near a PPG) is an offer I think Howson would have to look at closely.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:06 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Hemsky does not have good character (plus he is injury prone).
His injury history is troubling, but to assassinate the guy's character just because Oilers fans think our two teams have the basis for a deal is unwarranted.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagner for Johansen? You're getting two-thirds of Edmonton's top line, one of which is a U25 center so you're not robbing Peter to pay Paul. Johansen is a very good prospect, but being offered two NHL players capable of 50+ points (and one of them near a PPG) is an offer I think Howson would have to look at closely.
Nope never ever would Howson do that. You don't trade Johan unless your getting someone better NOW and in the future. Gagner is a bust and is a soft player who wouldn't be any different with us.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I'd really rather keep Johansen.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Nope never ever would Howson do that. You don't trade Johan unless your getting someone better NOW and in the future. Gagner is a bust and is a soft player who wouldn't be any different with us.
Oy gevalt. Gagner is far from a "bust". He's not presently a #1C, but he's still developing as a capable #2C and that's perfectly fine.

That said, it's also precisely what we don't need.

Old
07-15-2011, 02:26 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

Quote:
No doubt Oil fans have delusions - but calling Hemsky injury-prone rental is going waaay off the map in the other direction. He has had two consecutive seasons blown up by injury, but my man is a player. Averaged 70 pts his first four years.

If he is healthy at the deadline, he could be at 65 pts with the pieces up front on that team. I wouldn't send to Johansen to get him, but I would be ecstatic if he ended up a Blue Jacket. Our first line would be something to watch.

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:34 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

This is a very good offer Mr Bugg:

Quote:
and if Howson were really on his last leg I think it would be evaluated. I don't see it happening, not for a player labeled the next "Joe Thorton". I do admit getting Hemsky & Gagner is a very good return.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:43 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Gagner is a bust and is a soft player who wouldn't be any different with us.
Gagner has the second-most points from the 2007 Draft, more than even your formerly beloved Jakub Voracek. In fact, in the last decade, he's one just two players to record 40 points in each of his first four seasons after beginning his career as an 18-year-old- the other being Sidney Crosby.

I myself think Gagner and Hemsky is terrific value for a player who has yet to and may never (although the odds are low) play in the NHL. I'm tired of having to justify that to a small segment of otherwise rationale Jackets fans who think Hemsky is a locker room cancer or Gagner is a bust at 22.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:03 PM
redsfanhere*

no johan for edmonton

if you guys think highly of your 2 players why are you trying to trade them for one johan? i personally would not offer up players that would enhance our teams chances to win. ESpecially if they are that good.it's to hard to get them good players so we will keep our johan thanks anyways
nash / johan / carter for a long time hard to beat that 1st line wooooooooow coming in 2012-2013
rj /brassard /vermette on the 2nd line oh my god gotta love that to. just plain sick going out for some playoff tix

Last edited by redsfanhere*: 07-15-2011 at 03:28 PM.
redsfanhere* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:07 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

You don't have to justify the value Mr. Bugg..

Quote:
I myself think Gagner and Hemsky is terrific value for a player who has yet to and may never (although the odds are low) play in the NHL. I'm tired of having to justify that to a small segment of otherwise rationale Jackets fans who think Hemsky is a locker room cancer or Gagner is a bust at 22.
but recognize that Howson passed on Cam Fowler(obvious position of need), to draft RJ, because he is a big(still growing), skilled 1st line centre. You just drafted your top line centre in June having RJ on the second line would be sic for the Oil.. As sic as us having Carter, Johansen, Brassard/ Vermette in the next few years.

Howson, please just sign Prospal and end this nonsense now. Mayorov.. get your butt in camp and earn a spot. Calvert/ Atkinson.. who wants it more?

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Gagner has the second-most points from the 2007 Draft, more than even your formerly beloved Jakub Voracek. In fact, in the last decade, he's one just two players to record 40 points in each of his first four seasons after beginning his career as an 18-year-old- the other being Sidney Crosby.

No I do not think being a capable number 2 C is what we need. Sorry we have got one of those already. Where do you get I love Jake Voracek? LOL that's definitely one player I was neutral on. Please don't generalize me into the group of thinking Hemsky is a locker room cancer either. Fact of the matter is, it might be a decent return but Carter will be on a different line than Nash sooner or later and Johan is Nash's guy. You don't trade that. Having depth is a good thing, let's not give it away now.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:38 PM
cbj21

Time for the Jackets to get a new Norwegian into the lineup. They should call the Rangers and ask for MZA. He would crack our 3rd line so easilly. And soon enough he would go higher.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
His injury history is troubling, but to assassinate the guy's character just because Oilers fans think our two teams have the basis for a deal is unwarranted.
Sorry but it not for it. I know Oilers fan who said me it he met him and he does not have good experience with him.Plus he knows his attitude to training. Before he was his great fan after not. Sorry but we could have the next Zherdev. So not.

And to Gagner nobody says he is a bust. But Johansen could be better center than Gagner more better and the center is basic not wings in the offense. So, I prefer to keep Johansen and develop him before always injured Hemsky with not extra character and 50-60 points center.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post

This radio guy sounds like a tool.

"You need Hemsky."
"No we don't."
"Yes you do, and you have to give us Johan."
"No thanks."
"If you don't, Howson is fired."
"Probably not."
"Okay, about how Omark for Johan?"

Friedrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:41 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
What, Portzline didn't mention the Eberle requirement?

****ing worthless Dispatch beat writers.

If we weren't going to give up Johansen for Carter, why do those jackholes think they can get him for Hemsky?

Just got back from out of town, so I haven't had a chance to read over everything, but someone else, I'm sure, pointed that out.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If we weren't going to give up Johansen for Carter, why do those jackholes think they can get him for Hemsky?

Just got back from out of town, so I haven't had a chance to read over everything, but someone else, I'm sure, pointed that out.
"But that was different because it was Voracek and Johansen. So you can't say Johansen isn't available."

Yes, there are idiots actually saying that.

Old
07-15-2011, 09:00 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
"But that was different because it was Voracek and Johansen. So you can't say Johansen isn't available."

Yes, there are idiots actually saying that.
They are a special kind of stupid. I doubt they could get Johansen for Eberle at this point.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:51 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
They are a special kind of stupid. I doubt they could get Johansen for Eberle at this point.
If they're insistent on Johansen, why isn't Hall in the discussion as return. I have to think Howson views RJ's importance to our future as similar value to Taylor Hall's value to EDM's future.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote