HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Choose a player to add for GRIT

View Poll Results: Choose a player to add for GRIT
Jarkko Ruutu 8 5.71%
Mike Grier 16 11.43%
Chris Clark 5 3.57%
Steve Bernier 11 7.86%
Ethan Moreau 6 4.29%
John Madden 2 1.43%
Brad Winchester 45 32.14%
Fredrik Sjostrom 6 4.29%
Andrew Murray 2 1.43%
Other free agent 6 4.29%
Via trade 33 23.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Isles fan coming in peace.

Why not swing for the fences; add someone with grit and scoring ability a la Shane Doan, Brandon Dubinsky, David Booth or Ryan Malone?

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:05 AM
jammyrft

vCash: 500
Awsome idea but at what cost do we give up for any one of those guys? We're a team on the brink of a cup we can't give up to many roster players since we're in a win now mode

Guys that hold value to other teams are Schneider, Hansen, Burrows, Hodgson and Tanev. And on a power scale sammuelsson and Raymond. But given their respective years/injury who knows what they'd fetch

So what do we give up to improve? That's the question

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
Awsome idea but at what cost do we give up for any one of those guys? We're a team on the brink of a cup we can't give up to many roster players since we're in a win now mode

Guys that hold value to other teams are Schneider, Hansen, Burrows, Hodgson and Tanev. And on a power scale sammuelsson and Raymond. But given their respective years/injury who knows what they'd fetch

So what do we give up to improve? That's the question
My argument has always been Schroeder, Rodin, Hodgson; if they don't fit in your plans for the coming 2-3 years, why not trade them?

Given your defensive depth; Edler, Bieksa, Hamius, Rome, Alberts, Salo you can't afford to trade away Tanev can you? So he's in the plans for the coming years as a 5/6/7 defenseman.

Can Hodgson play/move to wing and play on the Sedins or Kesler line? If not he'd be a waste on the 3rd line with Manny there for another 2 years. Trade him? Debatable. Depends how much the acquiring teams views him.

Same with Schroeder but to a lesser extent. Needs a LOT more time in the AHL as opposed to Hodgson.

Don't know much about Rodin to be honest other than he's a top prospect of yours.

Outside of those 3, Schneider is there but no market for him now. Maybe at the deadline or when a goalie goes down out East his demand will be high.

Old
07-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
My argument has always been Schroeder, Rodin, Hodgson; if they don't fit in your plans for the coming 2-3 years, why not trade them?
I'd move any of those players and throw in Keith Ballard if the Canucks could get Mark Streit.

Blake Comeau or Frans Nielsen would look good in Vancouver as well.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:38 AM
jammyrft

The only problem with trading Rodin, Schroeder or Hodg is their value is extremely low. Not one of them have proven a single thing in the AHL or NHL. Now that being said Hodgson still have trade value so he could be in play but teams arn't looking to pick up 3-4 players in a single trade like most people seem to think (example: Raymond, Sammy, Schneider + whoever)

Teams are looking for players to come in and help their team like Hansen, Schneids, burrows etc... But at what price are the Nucks willing to give those guys up for, certainly not a 4th line guy. You MIGHT be able to get a tough guy in for a Rodin or Schroeder but is it worth it? Both of those players have potential to be top 6 players in the NHL.

But I do think there's certain guys who are valueable to our team currently that could be used in a trade to aquire guys like Oshie, Backes, Dubinsky etc... Those trades probabably start with either Hansen or Burrows and end with Schneider and a later round pick. There's no denying that both Hansen and burrows are valuable to our team but you might have to sit back and say hmm burrows or Dubinsky? Hansen or backes?

Burrows + Schneider + 5th (or equivalent) might just have the blues thinking about trading backes

Sedin - Sedin - sammuelsson
Backes - Kesler - Higgins
Sturm - Malholtra - Raymond
Oreskovich - Lappy - hansen
Hodgson

Last edited by jammyrft: 07-14-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old
07-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
There's no denying that both Hansen and burrows are valuable to our team but you might have to sit back and say hmm burrows or Dubinsky? Hansen or backes?

Burrows + Schneider + 5th (or equivalent) might just have the blues thinking about trading backes
The Canucks can't take Burrows 30 even strength goals out of the lineup. Throw in his PK work, ability to score big goals in big games and salary - there's very few trades where he goes the other way and the Canucks come out on top. Burrows just brings so much, for so little.

Hansen on the other hand would be a piece the Canucks could afford to move. If Hansen and Schneider get the Canucks T.J. Oshie I think that's a deal you make...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:57 AM
biturbo19

I think the trade route is the way to go. But i'd aim my sights a lot lower (and more realistically) than trying to bring in a 'gritty' top-line type winger. Rather, i'd be looking for snag a prototypical 3rd/4th line crash-bang type guy to play the wing. Someone big, mean, willing to drop the gloves, and capable of riding shotgun with Manny and/or Lappy in a 'shutdown' role.

I still think it would be worth the overpayment it would probably take to acquire Zack Smith out of Ottawa via trade. The overpayment might sting a bit, but we'd get a very good young bottom-6 forward with tons of versatility and a very manageable cap hit.

But i voted Bernier in the poll, as he's the only one out of the listed guys that really interests me all that much. And he only holds my interest if he signs a sub$800k deal. But on a cheap deal, Bernier brings some good flexibility to the lineup as he can at least fill in on most lines as needed (like Tambi last year, but bigger and potentially useful on the PK as well).

Brad Winchester might be alright as well, but nothing to get all that excited about really.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I'd move any of those players and throw in Keith Ballard if the Canucks could get Mark Streit.

Blake Comeau or Frans Nielsen would look good in Vancouver as well.
I've talked about Comeau straight up for Ballard on the Isles board. No one wants to do it. I'm reluctant as well considering Comeau looks like he'd be a really good player if he was consistent. But I like Ballard as a defenseman. Will be good once he can get away from AV.

No one is getting Nielsen unless it's a deal breaker for a monster deal. He wins FO's kills PKs does all the little things and is on a great contract.

As for Streit, one of our veterans who actually makes an impact on the ice as well. Probably our Captain for this year going forward.

Quote:
Hansen on the other hand would be a piece the Canucks could afford to move. If Hansen and Schneider get the Canucks T.J. Oshie I think that's a deal you make...

He's still there.

Old
07-14-2011, 01:01 AM
jammyrft

Quote:
The Canucks can't take Burrows 30 even strength goals out of the lineup. Throw in his PK work, ability to score big goals in big games and salary - there's very few trades where he goes the other way and the Canucks come out on top. Burrows just brings so much, for so little.

To be fair burrows has only once been a 30g guy. And I'm just using him as an example as for what other teams will want to start letting go of their top guys. It seems every proposal is Sammy + Raymond for "insert other teams top guy". It's just not going to happen. I'm not for a second saying trade burrows! I'm just using him for an example as to what it's going to take to get started on a big trade.

I will say Burrows would be a guy I'd swap for Dubinsky, Oshie, Parise, Weber, backes etc... Obviously for most of those guys you have to also add a lot but if thats what it takes then pull the trigger. I'd give up Hansen, Edler + Schneids for Parise in a heart beat

Old
07-14-2011, 01:03 AM
keslehr*

Winchester, he'd make a killer 4th line with Lappy and Oreo.

Lol @ Bernier

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Ronaldo
★★★

vCash: 55
Went with Winchester

Ronaldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:22 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotshirt View Post
Winchester out of guys on the list, but I voted 'other' with Byron Bitz in mind. I saw him in some Bruins games throughout the year and thought he was pretty good. He also got two goals in one game, so there's at least a trace of offense to go with that size. Plus, member of the All-Name team.
those 2 are about the best of what's left, I wouldn't have minded if Gillis made a try for Rupp, but what about Mancari, 6'3" 225lbs, .36 PPG career NHL, .86 PPG AHL, AHL allstar 2009, AHL record hardest slapshot 102.5mph

JayBeautiful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:37 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Let's add grit to the least played line, and the grit you get for the 4th line is usually low talent making the line get even less minutes, grit that rarely plays is barely grit at all. I hope Gillis is going top 6 grit, grit that will be on the ice 18 min+ a game against the other teams better players.

Having said Winchester can at least play a bit but if we are going after more grit Winchester + a top 6 upgrade would work.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:06 PM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Looking at the teams that might need to shed some cap room... Hello Buffalo... I'd say that Paul Gaustad would be an interesting player to target. 1 year left at 2,300,000 big and can score.

I guess the question would be is he one that the Sabres would be willing to part with.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Grier isn't the same player anymore. Ask buffalo fans.
Wow has he fallen that hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
How the hell is Steve Bernier on that list?
Seen it on other threads for our lack of size/grit players, and he does have 7 votes, just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerkChicken View Post
Cam Janssen
I'd rather have player who can play some NHL caliber hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Having said Winchester can at least play a bit but if we are going after more grit Winchester + a top 6 upgrade would work.
I agree, trying to acquire both I think is a given.

But for now the easiest thing MG can do is stack the fourth line, thereby allowing AV to have the confidence to play the 4th line more, ultimately giving the Canucks more solid depth, and allowing the first two lines to have some rest to be more effective down the stretch.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Of the group listed, I think Winchester would probably fill a role pretty well on the fourth line.

I am also an advocate of trading for someone like Ryan Malone; I think his size, presence, and ability to go to the front of the net would make him a good fit with Kesler. He's a fairly consistent 20-25 goal guy, too.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:03 PM
DL44

vCash: 308
In retro Winchester is a good choice.

Steve Bernier, altho ineffective as a scorer, was actually quite physical and passionate during the playoffs when he was here.
He did at least take his game to the next level in the playoffs while he was here... from a physical standpoint.

He would make a great 4th liner... has the versatility to fill on the 3rd as well.

But i would want a little more speed with this 4th line grit position....

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:26 PM

voted for winchester, but checked out his recent stats and it sure ain't the 13 goal man i remember. wish anthony stewart was on this team, as bernier pt 2 it'd likely be.

26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 View Post
voted for winchester, but checked out his recent stats and it sure ain't the 13 goal man i remember. wish anthony stewart was on this team, as bernier pt 2 it'd likely be.
Well, to be fair he was only 3-goals off his career high last year. I think you can count on him as a 15-20 point sort of guy. Red flags though...he hasn't been signed yet, and with the way free agency has been going that's somewhat surprising. The second thing that's sort of alarming is that Anaheim hasn't tried to re-sign him, and the Ducks have one of the worst bottom six groups in the league...though they did give up on Lapierre as well so who knows?

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I said this on another thread, and as much as I recognize that it is unlikely, I'd really like to pry David Backes lose from St Louis. He can play right wing and center, he's big, he'd tough and can put the puck in the net. Have to make a quality offer that made sense to St Louis, of course, who once again have playoff ambitions.
I often wonder how different the team would look had Gillis been successful in getting Backes, instead of ending up with Bernier. I agree Backes would be the perfect fit for the 2nd line. I don't think the Blues want to lose him though, especially to Vancouver.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Cogburn

Grier, followed by Madden or Ruutu.

Grier would likely be looking for what Torres got however, and although I think Grier is a little more consistant and responsable, I don't see Gillis going for a multi year multi million dollar contract.

Madden is a center, we have a TON of centers, and I have yet to see Madden play wing.

Ruutu...well I just miss the guy. He hits, fights occaisionally, agitates, and seems to take some sick joy in messing with the opponents top line players. Probably not an "AV" kind of guy would be my only concern.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:48 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Grier, followed by Madden or Ruutu.

Grier would likely be looking for what Torres got however, and although I think Grier is a little more consistant and responsable, I don't see Gillis going for a multi year multi million dollar contract.

Madden is a center, we have a TON of centers, and I have yet to see Madden play wing.

Ruutu...well I just miss the guy. He hits, fights occaisionally, agitates, and seems to take some sick joy in messing with the opponents top line players. Probably not an "AV" kind of guy would be my only concern.
Lapierre can play wing. Giving us two options on the 4th line, and giving the PK even more options at center.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Lapierre can play wing. Giving us two options on the 4th line, and giving the PK even more options at center.
True, but we still have Hodgson as well as what ever future acquisitions to look forward to as well. We would have almost nothing but centers and rleft wingers in of forward lineups...which I guess isn't then end of the world. Also, Grier has played center before I guess too...I dunno, sign all three and make them duke it out in training camp.

Last edited by Cogburn: 07-15-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Left wingers, not right.
Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Newfiecanuck

Canucks trade

How bout going for parros. Trade luongo ballard raymond schroder and a first and third round pick in 2012 to the ducks for parros and ryan.

What do you think?

Newfiecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Isles fan coming in peace.

Why not swing for the fences; add someone with grit and scoring ability a la Shane Doan, Brandon Dubinsky, David Booth or Ryan Malone?
Dude. Like, woah.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote