HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sign Andrew Murray

Old
07-20-2011, 04:08 PM
one2gamble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
There were a lot of things in the hits. On Richardson, it was distance traveled. Check the rulebook. It is the violence of the hit. Even on boarding, "in the numbers" is not the benchmark although it is one test to determine if the hittee was aware of the oncoming player. There are a bunch of tests on boarding and charging and I knew that McGinn was going to get tagged even before the ref raised his arm in both situations. There are only a couple of refs who wouldn't make the call and they were not doing those games.

The league is slowly modifying the rules to increase player safety, particularly the head. There is less onus being placed on the hittee and more on the hitter. The old guard has still retained some hittee responsibility, but it is slowly disappearing. Beware of using the argument that the hittee should have known/done something to protect himself as that argument is becoming weaker.
I would have given Ginny charging on his first one, I probably would not have called it a major at that point in the game, possibly if it happened in the 1st though I do understand why it was called and it was not unexpected.

The second one, isnt even a penalty and isnt called if the opposition didnt play hockey like the Azzurri play soccer.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:26 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
I would have given Ginny charging on his first one, I probably would not have called it a major at that point in the game, possibly if it happened in the 1st though I do understand why it was called and it was not unexpected.

The second one, isnt even a penalty and isnt called if the opposition didnt play hockey like the Azzurri play soccer.
He got tagged on the second one for the wind up, speed into the hit and therefore level of violence. I have seen it called before pretty regularly. I am still working on what amounts to my new old guard list, but O'Halloran and Leggo are ones who wouldn't call. I am pretty sure Walkom is on that list as well. Marouelli was extreme on no call. Most of the newer guys call on safety. You also have to keep in mind that most refs go with the call style of the senior partner so the older non-callers effectively double their effect.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
He got tagged on the second one for the wind up, speed into the hit and therefore level of violence. I have seen it called before pretty regularly. I am still working on what amounts to my new old guard list, but O'Halloran and Leggo are ones who wouldn't call. I am pretty sure Walkom is on that list as well. Marouelli was extreme on no call. Most of the newer guys call on safety. You also have to keep in mind that most refs go with the call style of the senior partner so the older non-callers effectively double their effect.
Given the video, I have to say that is some poor reasoning to make that call. He went into that hit how everyone that has ever thrown a hit goes into it. It was called because Rome was in a bad spot due to a bad pass on impact, nothing more. And with the league cracking down on hitting vulnerable players, they've heightened ref's awareness to the point where they overreact to every big hit.

That was a poor call then. It's a poor call now.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Given the video, I have to say that is some poor reasoning to make that call. He went into that hit how everyone that has ever thrown a hit goes into it. It was called because Rome was in a bad spot due to a bad pass on impact, nothing more. And with the league cracking down on hitting vulnerable players, they've heightened ref's awareness to the point where they overreact to every big hit.

That was a poor call then. It's a poor call now.
I agree.

Even the ref's themselves are so inconsistent between them it's tough to set a standard. In my opinion, that hit was perfectly legal. Ref's are just getting twitchy.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Kitten Mittons

McGinn got 5 minutes for too much man. It was a 2 minute charging call at most but because he was a 4th liner and the game was a mess as a whole, they overreacted.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
same type of play, just a little less speed from kaleta

kaleta got 5, 10 and a 2 game suspension.
Living out here in Philly, this was the EXACT hit I was thinking of.

This will be called people. What you like or want is irrelevant. This is the direction the league is going in. SO saying 'That's not a major' is just plain wrong.

It IS a major, by rule and precedent from the league...

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote