HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Ryerson Rams CIS

Old
07-13-2011, 08:09 PM
skatesharpener

vCash: 500
Ryerson Rams CIS

Are there any coaching changes coming to this team? They seem to be on the way down. This past season saw the team lose games to perenial losers with next season looking the same. Don't know if its just poor coaching, poor recruiting or both. Any comments?

skatesharpener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:31 PM
recruiter

The problem with Ryerson is there top players flunked out and that has resulted in them not making playoffs more than once in Coach Wise guidance. They should have atleast made it 2 or 3 more times if all those players stayed eligible. With new rink opening in new year sometime this will help recruiting. Currently they have commitments from Troy Passingham (sarnia ohl) Jason Kelly (qmjhl), Brian Birkhoff (pete's ohl) David Searle (guelph ohl) and transfer Jason Cassidy (st.thomas u). Plus rumours of more major juniors . I know they have commitments from other players just not sure of there names).

recruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:24 PM
blackmarketmob

Considering thier current roster and lack of major junior experience, those are some solid recruits for Ryerson. Passingham in particular is a very good pickup. Travis Dunstall was a guy I was excited to see for Ryerson last year, it is too bad he was gone before a full season.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:44 AM
recruiter

Yeah its too bad Dunstall ran into academic issue's and left earlier than expected. Ryerson should make playoffs this year. I'm just waiting for confirmation on there other recruits I've been hearing about

Old
07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
skatesharpener

It appears Ryerson is recruiting players with poor academic standards or Ryerson's standards are pretty low. They need to improve in this area.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
skatesharpener

Leafs want to stop Rams

It appears the Toronto Maple Leafs want to stop the Ryerson Rams from using the Maple Leaf Gardens name at their new rink. See article.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2112334/

Old
08-02-2011, 04:50 PM
timbitca

Doesn't surprise me one bit from MLSE. I'm one of the biggest Anti-Leafs around, but I still want the team to be sold. Even hating them like I do, I'd rather see them owned by someone who wants to win rather than a group who's just there for the profit.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:20 AM
recruiter

http://www.ryersonrams.ca/ViewArticl...CLID=205251609

Old
09-01-2011, 12:34 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter View Post
17 new recruits. That is a giant crew coming in. Is almost every player from last year not returning? Given that some of the teams in their division such as Queen's, RMC and U of T typically have few to no major junior guys, Ryerson looks to have some solid recruits including Jason Kelly, Kelly Geoffrey, transfer Cassidy and some solid defecemen with major junior experience, as well as a very experienced OHL goaltending in Passingham. I am surprised some players such as Jason Kelly are 92 birthdays though. Given that he came off his 18 year old season finishing 4th on his team in scoring, I would have assumed he would continue his junior career for at least another year.

I am planning to come out to Ryerson to watch Laurier play them for what will be Laurier's final exhibition game before regular season play.

Old
09-09-2011, 11:22 AM
skatesharpener

17 new players?

Is this an act of desperation by the coaching staff? No university team changes over that much. Maybe the coaching staff needs to be changed.

Old
09-09-2011, 08:06 PM
recruiter

I know that with they lost 8 players during off-season and recruits that they brought in will help this program out. Let's wait to judge this coaching and scouting staff during season. They had there ups and downs however under this group they have improved a ton over previous staff. I work for a university out east and I am interested to see how they fair.
Coach Wise and his staff where put in hard position and I believe good things will be happening to this program especially with this recruiting class. Excellent job on there part to land 7 ex major junior a players

Old
09-13-2011, 11:59 AM
skatesharpener

How much longer does one wait?

This coaching staff has been together for a while now. How much longer does one give them to turn things around? It appears things are sliding not improving. Signing exohlers is standard. All the schools are signing them. But most of these are overagers who are no longer wanted or other cuts so how much can they help you? One thing for sure is the coaching staff has to increase their educational standards because past experience does not look good on the school.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:58 PM
FreddtFoyle

Overagers from Major Junior ARE the core of all of the successful CIS programs. Not sure what you mean by "no longer wanted or other cuts", because overage is overage. I also believe you might want to see these new recruits in a few games before passing judgement - some stars from the OHL don't pan out in the CIS, and some unheralded guys out of Major Junior or Junior A become stars in the CIS.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 07:08 PM
recruiter

Skatesharpener forgets how bad Rams where before this staff. Like Freddy said let's see what happens during season. Before this staff when was last time they made playoffs or was competitive. It sounds like skatesharpener forgets this or is ex Ram player that got cut from this coaching staff

Old
09-13-2011, 09:15 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Overagers from Major Junior ARE the core of all of the successful CIS programs. Not sure what you mean by "no longer wanted or other cuts", because overage is overage. I also believe you might want to see these new recruits in a few games before passing judgement - some stars from the OHL don't pan out in the CIS, and some unheralded guys out of Major Junior or Junior A become stars in the CIS.
I think where he may be coming from is unlike some of the Major Junior guys recruited by the big schools who played their overage year and attended pro camps etc, many of the recruits like Kelly Geoffrey for example http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=25830, were guys who are major junior guys, but did not make the 3 person overage contingent on their teams and finished out their careers in Tier II/Junior B. This could be the "unwanted overagers." This is fairly common place in the OUA. Many of Laurier's OHL's players last year were 1990 birthdays, who theoretically, could have played an additional year in the OHL.

Old
09-13-2011, 10:38 PM
FreddtFoyle

Okay, that is a clearer way to state it than he did.

Still, just because a player wasn't able to stick as an overager in the OHL, and had to play his last year in Junior A doesn't necessarily make him a bad player. For example, Spencer Corcoran is a regular defenceman/forward with UNB who played his last year in Summerside after Cape Breton had too many 20 year olds. Spencer had a dominant year in the MHL before coming to UNB, had to earn his ice time with the V-Reds, and only didn't play in the University Cup because he broke his hand in the AUS playoffs.

As I already said, and it is worth repeating, you gotta let recruits show what they can do before you write them off ...

Old
09-14-2011, 01:11 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Considering the Rams went 8-18-2 last year I think I would be upset if they didn't make many changes...I would be excited that they are bringing in so many new players.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 08:14 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Okay, that is a clearer way to state it than he did.
Still, just because a player wasn't able to stick as an overager in the OHL, and had to play his last year in Junior A doesn't necessarily make him a bad player. For example, Spencer Corcoran is a regular defenceman/forward with UNB who played his last year in Summerside after Cape Breton had too many 20 year olds. Spencer had a dominant year in the MHL before coming to UNB, had to earn his ice time with the V-Reds, and only didn't play in the University Cup because he broke his hand in the AUS playoffs.

As I already said, and it is worth repeating, you gotta let recruits show what they can do before you write them off ...
I may be wrong but that was my take. Still, including both goalies, they bring in a total of 8 guys with Major Junior experience. Last year's entire team had 5. Looking at their team, I would anticipate they would be stronger than last year's team.

Old
09-14-2011, 08:58 PM
FreddtFoyle

Well hopefully Ryerson is better, especially since they will be moving into Maple Leaf Gardens.

It would be nice to have at least one nationally-competitive CIS hockey team in the GTA again. It's been a while, and it certainly doesn't help CIS hockey's image in the hockey media centre of the country.

Old
09-15-2011, 06:49 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Well hopefully Ryerson is better, especially since they will be moving into Maple Leaf Gardens.

It would be nice to have at least one nationally-competitive CIS hockey team in the GTA again. It's been a while, and it certainly doesn't help CIS hockey's image in the hockey media centre of the country.
there is no CIS hockey image in the GTA. Torontoians could care less that the St. Mikes Majors were right downtown. All major league, all the time.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote