HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Support for the Islanders!? Vote Yes!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
  #126
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
For the record there is more than one reason to vote yes than just the isles. This new stadium is important for the economy of long island. The coliseum is old and ****** and IF the isles move because they dont get a new stadium, then in all likelihood they will shut down the coliseum. Therefore you get NO big events, No people working at the coliseum, Less people spending money in Nassau county at the bars and restaurants before and after concerts or games or wrestling events.

LONG ISLAND NEEDS A NEW STADIUM, NOT JUST THE ISLANDERS.

frankthefrowner is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 07:42 PM
  #127
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
For the record there is more than one reason to vote yes than just the isles. This new stadium is important for the economy of long island. The coliseum is old and ****** and IF the isles move because they dont get a new stadium, then in all likelihood they will shut down the coliseum. Therefore you get NO big events, No people working at the coliseum, Less people spending money in Nassau county at the bars and restaurants before and after concerts or games or wrestling events.

LONG ISLAND NEEDS A NEW STADIUM, NOT JUST THE ISLANDERS.
That's what the LIRR is for. Forget Hempstead........move the rink to Riverhead.

ThisYearsModel is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 07:44 PM
  #128
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
That's what the LIRR is for. Forget Hempstead........move the rink to Riverhead.
lol LIRR is useful to goto the city but with out service North and South its not really a viable use of transportation around the island.

Riverhead is empty as hell no one would goto riverhead come on now try harder.

frankthefrowner is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 07:53 PM
  #129
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Seriously though, they need some kind of train service at that new arena. It's such a pain in the ass to get there sometimes when you want to have a few beers.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 07:56 PM
  #130
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Seriously though, they need some kind of train service at that new arena. It's such a pain in the ass to get there sometimes when you want to have a few beers.
Never going to happen no where to build any new tracks.

frankthefrowner is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 07:57 PM
  #131
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Never going to happen no where to build any new tracks.
That sucks. I work right around the corner from there as well it would be a huge help. oh well.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 07:59 PM
  #132
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
That sucks. I work right around the corner from there as well it would be a huge help. oh well.
Yea they are going to be suspending bus service let alone building anything new for the MTA

frankthefrowner is offline  
Old
07-14-2011, 07:59 PM
  #133
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Holy crap i am disgusted by some of my fellow ranger fans. This rivalry while not currently at its peak is one of the best in hockey. Hell even when 1 of the two teams arent all that good the games are always fun to watch.

If i lived in Nassau county i would vote yes in 10 seconds without hesitation. The islanders are storied franchise who have been saddled with piss poor ownership for far too long. They are also a loyal fanbase and i dont want to hear any crap about them not selling out the past couple years. Just look at the early 2000 teams they were good teams and the building rocked hard. But its hard as a fan to spend alot of money on tickets and concessions and parking when the team frankly has no hope of competing.

I would also hate not being able to just goto a random game on the island because im a god damn hockey fan. One of my favorite experiences was actually at a Hawks Isles game from like 5-6 years ago during a big snow storm. They played the game presumably because the Hawks werent going to be back and there were like 2000 people there. They let us move down to the lower bowl and we were sitting right behind craig anderson when he first came up. We kept yelling Mr Anderson at him like a bunch of jackasses(its when the matrix trilogy was out) and he even shot us a smile and a wave.

Losing the Isles to Kansas city would be a huge blow to me those 6 games we play against them good or bad are fun and would water down the games for me..

Vote Yes.. luckily those of you who say you are voting no probablyt cant vote yet anyway.
I completely agree....I don't want Islander fans to lose their team. I'm surprised some of you guys seriously hate islander fans enough that you want their team stripped from them...Jesus, it's not like this is life and death, and just wanting to see their fans lose their team to "stick it in their face" is pretty lame.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 05:50 AM
  #134
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...plan-1.3026722

HAPPY HOUR is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 07:25 AM
  #135
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,837
vCash: 500
My opinion can be summed up in two words:

Ken
Morrow



If the Isles become a dominant team again, all of us would wish they moved.

Considering I actually had to live through years of torment and torture, there is no way I would shed a tear if the Icelanders move. Let's not forget that they played in an arena which sold "Rangers 1939-40 Stanley Cup Champion T-shirts"

GWOW is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 08:10 AM
  #136
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Never going to happen no where to build any new tracks.
Existing ROW is abandoned and less than .5 miles from the arena.

nyrmetros is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 09:40 AM
  #137
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
My opinion can be summed up in two words:

Ken
Morrow



If the Isles become a dominant team again, all of us would wish they moved.

Considering I actually had to live through years of torment and torture, there is no way I would shed a tear if the Icelanders move. Let's not forget that they played in an arena which sold "Rangers 1939-40 Stanley Cup Champion T-shirts"
It is where the 1940 chant started. No tears here if they leave.

ThisYearsModel is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
  #138
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
The only person this will help is Wang! If he wants a new arena let hi use his cash for it. The local economy and jobs is a bunch of bull, its just something they tell you to make you think it is helpful. It will only create minimal jobs for a short amount of time. 99% of the people in LI, could care less about the Isles or hockey for that matter.

bubba5 is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 10:49 AM
  #139
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
If the Islanders leave, we could see a very similar situation to this....

http://www.kirotv.com/sports/28554376/detail.html

Plus, they aren't going to leave this state, if the move from Nassau County, it will be to Queens. Do you really want the Islanders moving closer into Rangers territory?

Islanders1932 is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
  #140
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
The only person this will help is Wang! If he wants a new arena let hi use his cash for it. The local economy and jobs is a bunch of bull, its just something they tell you to make you think it is helpful. It will only create minimal jobs for a short amount of time. 99% of the people in LI, could care less about the Isles or hockey for that matter.
Even if that is true, only 50% of the events at the Coliseum are hockey related. So there are plenty of shows, concerts, and more. Did you know the next largest indoor venue is at Hofstra, in a stadium that holds only 5,000 people as opposed to the 18,000 the Coliseum holds? How is Long Island going to attract big shows? They aren't. We are going to lose so much revenue from not having the Coliseum here. This is bigger than the Islanders. If you really want to go deep into the project and a truer understanding of the effects without a coliseum I urge you to read this:

http://islanders.nhl.com/v2/ext/HUB%...PROJEC_001.pdf

Islanders1932 is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
  #141
Noreaster96
Registered User
 
Noreaster96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
It is where the 1940 chant started. No tears here if they leave.
I'm sorry, I had to come back to counter this. This is kind of viewing things in a skewed sense don't you think? To say only one team's fans does mean things to the other? From what I've read some people here want them to leave because the Islanders sell tee-shirts and chanted 1940? Coming from people who fellow fans tried to overturn the ambulance of an Islander who was hurt during a game? This is not a condemnation of all Ranger fans because of course this was only a few people who went pretty crazy. But listen, I don't have blinders on to say that Islander fans dont do anything wrong towards Rangers fans, but to want the Islanders to leave because of these things? thats just wrong...

BTW- for those who enjoy the rivalry heres a nice little article featuring a bunch of memorable moments from the rivalry. Enjoy! "

http://www.longislandpress.com/2009/...ngers-rivalry/

Noreaster96 is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 12:12 PM
  #142
Blazephr
Registered User
 
Blazephr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vermont - NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
AND WE WONDER WHY AN ARENA ISN’T BUILT…

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...es-beach-show/

Blazephr is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 12:20 PM
  #143
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,886
vCash: 500
Look...I understand how it sounds.......but all the abuse I took in the 80's has left me permanently scarred. Back then, so many Islander fans were Ranger fans from LI that jumped on the bandwagon. The majority of the posters here are not old enough to remember what a dark time that was for Ranger fans. I appreciate that. In fact, I expect that you will get your new rink........and after tanking repeated seasons will have a good team that kicks the Rangers arses again just in time to move in to your new building. Then the younger Ranger fans will experience what we oldsters had to live through. Then they will understand our position.

I also understand that a new building will benefit the area. It irritates me that the NHL has backed the Islanders despite their dreadful ownership and the repeated tanked seasons. I admit it........I am at once proud that the Rangers don't tank seasons, but also jealous because the Caps and Penguins did, and look at their results. The same will soon be reality in Edmonton and Long Island.

Good Luck.....I guess.

ThisYearsModel is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
  #144
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Why any Rangers fan would want to see the Islanders relocated is beyond me. I look forward to every game the Rangers play against the Islanders.
Agreed. Simply as a New Yorker in the Metropolitan area, it'd suck to see a team leave a major area like Long Island for somewhere ******.

It's a fun rivalry, and games are always intense, no matter the type of season each team is having. And the Potvin chant is my favorite in sport.

jBuds is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 12:26 PM
  #145
Avery316
guilty as charged
 
Avery316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
I could care less if the whole org folded let alone moved, rangers have plenty of other rivals

Avery316 is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 12:57 PM
  #146
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So fund it your-*******-selves. Pay some seat licences for the stadium and cover what the taxes would have to cover.

I mean, you'd actually need fans to do that. But it's a way to cut out the tax payers who shouldn't be involved in the first place.

There are many things that can be built there that will make more money for the area in terms of taxes, jobs, etc. than a sports stadium.

Indirect jobs works in theory, but really won't be much of a help due to the area. In a big city, such as NYC, this is completely true. But in a more suburban environment, this is just not the case.

The jobs lost can be replaced by jobs in something like a shopping mall or whatever the hell else they choose to build there. These small part time jobs that would be lost are simply not worth it at all in the long run.

name me one nhl franchise aside from toronto, montreal and possibly vancouver that would be able to fund a new stadium through PSLs? the reason that generally only NFL teams do it is because the demand is high enough...when there isnt a 40 year waiting list like the giants had PSLs dont work...and even then, they didnt sell out their PSLs and watched their STH waiting list move to zero.

where were you b*tching when citi field and yankee stadium were built with TAX PAYERS DOLLARS??


Last edited by enigmatic: 07-15-2011 at 01:14 PM.
enigmatic is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 01:10 PM
  #147
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
name me one nhl franchise aside from toronto, montreal and possibly vancouver that would be able to fund a new stadium through PSLs? the reason that generally only NFL teams do it is because the demand is high enough...when there isnt a 40 year waiting list like the giants had PSLs dont work...and even then, they didnt sell out their PSLs and watched their STH waiting list move to zero.

where were you *****ing when citi field and yankee stadium were built with TAX PAYERS DOLLARS??
The Rangers aren't renovating MSG through taxes.

Puckface NYR* is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 01:47 PM
  #148
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
The Rangers aren't renovating MSG through taxes.
please find where i mentioned the MSG renovation in either your quote or my specific post...

you suggested for us to "F#%king pay for it ourselves" through PSLs...my point is that not only is it not a viable option for us, but for about 27/30 teams in all of the professional sports leagues excluding the NFL.

all of you who are voting it down/not voting because of economic reasons...that is your choice, even though i disagree with the pro/cons of building it/not building it...but those who are voting it down in spite of the hatred for the team or to just be a clown you should be ashamed of yourslves

thank god that IMO most of the people who are making these remarks are probably too young to vote

enigmatic is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 01:47 PM
  #149
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Even if that is true, only 50% of the events at the Coliseum are hockey related. So there are plenty of shows, concerts, and more. Did you know the next largest indoor venue is at Hofstra, in a stadium that holds only 5,000 people as opposed to the 18,000 the Coliseum holds? How is Long Island going to attract big shows? They aren't. We are going to lose so much revenue from not having the Coliseum here. This is bigger than the Islanders. If you really want to go deep into the project and a truer understanding of the effects without a coliseum I urge you to read this:

http://islanders.nhl.com/v2/ext/HUB%...PROJEC_001.pdf
Revenues for who??? Very little goes back to Joe Tax Payer, revenues go to the performers and agencies that set up those shows. Don't let yourself be fooled by what Wang and the politicians are telling you.

bubba5 is offline  
Old
07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
  #150
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 566
Vote NO, Nassau and their taxpayers are going to be on the hook here for any delays while Wang a guy who has lied to the FBI and SEC has to be relied on to be honest to the Nassau Comptrollers office? Hell no, Nassau are a bunch of fools to be entering into a contract with this guy, he's got billions to spend on a Lighthouse project, now Nassua has to front hundreds of Millions for Wang. HELL NO. Let Wang spend his own money like he was going to originally.

Wang has loyal friends and businessmen sitting in jail for him so he doesn't have to. The man has lied to the FBI, the SEC, and federal prosecutors and out smarted them. You think the County Comptroller's office and their attorneys have a chance? Think again!!!

VOTE NO!

WANG IS A CROOK AND HAS RUINED THE ISLANDER ORGANIZATION!!! He has no idea how to run a hockey team and has no business doing so. The only reason why he bought the Islanders was as a real estate investment and it's an investement that hasn't worked out for him so far.

VOTE NO!!!


Last edited by vipernsx: 07-15-2011 at 01:54 PM.
vipernsx is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.